Photo

[Mists of Pandaria] Mage Simple Questions and Answers (Read the First Post)

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Blueobelisk

Blueobelisk

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 04:54 PM

If you have a simple question that only requires a simple answer and don't see a better place to post it, this is your thread. Forum rules still apply although rule #7 is relaxed. However, if you ask a question that is clearly explained in one of the spec specific threads, then your post may still be infracted. Asking people to make specific gear or spec decisions for you is still against the rules. Proper capitalization, punctuation, and spelling are important even in short posts. This thread is for simple questions- not stupid ones.

Furthermore, we are now allowing you to post your World of Logs parses if you feel stuck with respect to your DPS. Please note you must follow the criteria listed here:
  • The parse must be from a 10 or 25 man raid (non-heroic is fine). 5-mans and target dummies are not welcome.
  • In line with this, you must be max level (90). We're not about to look over a log from a level 70 Sunwell run.
  • Your profile MUST work. If you tend to change specs/log out in PVP gear please create a character profile through Wowhead or a similar site. That way if your issue is related to your gear, help can be provided.
  • You must give a few sentences regarding what you think your problem is. Are you moving a lot due to fight mechanics? Do you perform some vital secondary role that may impact your DPS? (kiting, etc). We can't help you if you don't help us.

Please note that this thread is no exception to how the rest of our forums work regarding the fact that no one is obligated to help you. Do not bump, repost, or cry about it.

#2 Leoneri

Leoneri

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 09:45 PM

When observing the gear of some of the top frost mages against 10M Elegon Normal, I've noticed that they all seem to be using the Flash Frozen Resin Globule as a trinket. Why is this? Is it really better than every other option? Is it specific to Elegon's fight, or is it better in every case?

#3 Lobonija

Lobonija

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 11:27 PM

When observing the gear of some of the top frost mages against 10M Elegon Normal, I've noticed that they all seem to be using the Flash Frozen Resin Globule as a trinket. Why is this? Is it really better than every other option? Is it specific to Elegon's fight, or is it better in every case?

It is a very strong entry level trinket. It is easily acquired and quite good. The 4k int use effect paired with class cooldowns is excellent, and it also has a tremendous amount of hit rating. You should use it until you get the darkmoon faire and elegon trinkets.

#4 Gusmeister

Gusmeister

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 09:51 PM

Wondering abit about haste caps in Pandaria for a fire mage.
how much do i need untill i hit the GCD?.
how much for additional ticks on my ignite. ?

#5 Lobonija

Lobonija

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 12:23 AM

This is what I've been using. Credits to Blinkenstein @ Maths of Pandaria: DPS Caster Haste Breakpoint Cards - Blogs - Totem Spot of course.

Edit: removed image.

#6 Reoite

Reoite

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 02:31 PM

Has anyone been able to calculate the value of the Pandaran racial relative to the other races? I'm intending to switch from blood elf but wondering if the Pandarans' double food buff beats out the Troll Berserking racial.

#7 Balbus

Balbus

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 10:16 AM

50k iterations on Night Elf (T14N - Fire) with added 300 int give 100364.7 dps
Same without the 300 int on Troll (T14N - Fire) gives 100372.3 dps

0.008% difference. As Binkenstein already said in the guide thread - race choices dont really matter. In this specific case the difference is far below his mentioned 0.3 %. So feel free to choose what you want.

The advantage you gain here is lower than just failing on your priority list or uptime of magebomb vice versa.

#8 Aladdon

Aladdon

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 08:12 AM

Ok, i need some help as i don't get my mage up to speed concerning dps. What ever spec I try i stay (far) behind all other dps classes. Something that was not always true. I might be a bit behind in gear but then still the differences are to big. Yesterday we killed Imperial Vizier Zor'lok and look again were I was with my dps. World of Logs - Real Time Raid Analysis . I used ivocation only at the last 2 fights, rune of power before. I like to play Frost, tryed fire and arcane but in all 3 specs I stay behind in dps. Any suggestion in what I can do to improve?
Frost rotation is as described with Icy-veins not hard to follow still...

[Heef] - moved this to the correct thread.

#9 semata

semata

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 04:18 PM

Frost rotation is as described with Icy-veins not hard to follow still...

Don't say it's not hard when you aren't following it properly. You've barely used Freeze, and it shows - in our first Vizier kill Ice Lance was 26.9% of my total damage, versus 19.8% for you. Half of your lances didn't even crit; I don't know if that's because you spammed it while dodging sonic rings, but I doubt it given your low active time. Always cast something even if you didn't spec into Scorch. Your invocation uptime is also weak, with only 61.4%. There are noticeable gaps where you are doing substantial damage without the buff, and other times when the raid is doing damage while you aren't.

#10 Aladdon

Aladdon

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 06:10 PM

Your right, could use Freeze a bit (or a lot)more. Yes I spammeed ice lance during sonic rings, but maybe too much Crit is depending on my gear, as I am specced frost I have reforged into hit (5100) and Haste, meaning my crit is not great..

But the things you call out don't make the difference so huge should it?

#11 Pyryte

Pyryte

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 05:36 PM

He is just giving you guidelines for how you can improve. 61.4% uptime on invocation is absolutely terrible, especially as frost. You should have over 80% easily. Everytime it falls off, cast it. The only time you can't do this is when rings are coming out. Freeze needs to be used on cooldown, try binding it to a key so it's application is more fluid. You're ice lance spamming without procs a lot, even sometimes when you aren't running from rings, you should only Ice Lance when you have the procs.

Overall it comes down to your active time. It's very very low, should always be high 90s, 98+ is what you should aim for. You have some lengths of over a second between casts, start pre-queuing your casts so you spam them, don't wait for one to finish then slowly click your next spell. Spam casts, keep better uptime on invocation, and follow the priority more correctly and you'll see a significant increase in dmg.

These are all things you need to work on, over time. You won't read this then go back and do 10k more dps, you need to practice. Skill grows comes from repitition.

#12 crd42

crd42

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 01:22 PM

Hey all, just a little question or two here, I understand the reasoning behind presence of mind giving you instant pyroblast, i was wondering if anyone had checked to see if the DPS is more using scorch instead? Also is there any other way to speed up fireball as I fell this is more than just a filler spell. I recently came 2nd in the dps charts with 4 other characters all at level 90, my fire mage was level 88. The normal rotation seemed to be okay, but found there was lots of lost casting time waiting for spells to become available. Ok I am not maxed out yet which would have some derogatory effects on a smooth rotation. I have found that when spamming fireball my dps improved dramatically, and found that actually not using presence of mind mattered all that much as my combustion/critical pyro timing seemed quite good. Although I am yet to try scorch, was wondering what your thoughts were, I am about 70-80% from max dps i rekon at the mo with the level 88

#13 Leoneri

Leoneri

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 10:34 PM

I have a question pertaining to stat weights for frost mages. I've been hearing that gemming purely for intellect is no longer worth it, due to gems having double the secondary bonuses. So I've been told to gem for (yellow - pure haste) (red - int & haste)(blue - int and hit), etc. I've tried using Ask Mr Robot, and in some cases it has me gem pure intellect, and others it has hybrid gems. Then I tried running my own stat weights in SimCraft and got something particularly weird. My stat weights were as follows:

Int: 3.81
Hit: 2.81
Crit: 1.37
Haste: 1.30
Mastery: 1.15

This contradicts everything I've ever read, where haste is supposed to be better than crit. Am I misunderstanding something about simcraft, using it wrong, or is there no definitive answer yet? I've even tried looking at the armory pages of mages I've found on World of Logs.

#14 NickSeng

NickSeng

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 05:32 AM

I have a question pertaining to stat weights for frost mages. I've been hearing that gemming purely for intellect is no longer worth it, due to gems having double the secondary bonuses. So I've been told to gem for (yellow - pure haste) (red - int & haste)(blue - int and hit), etc. I've tried using Ask Mr Robot, and in some cases it has me gem pure intellect, and others it has hybrid gems. Then I tried running my own stat weights in SimCraft and got something particularly weird. My stat weights were as follows:

Int: 3.81
Hit: 2.81
Crit: 1.37
Haste: 1.30
Mastery: 1.15

This contradicts everything I've ever read, where haste is supposed to be better than crit. Am I misunderstanding something about simcraft, using it wrong, or is there no definitive answer yet? I've even tried looking at the armory pages of mages I've found on World of Logs.

Stat weights change depending on gear. In this instance, it's not worth it to gem pure haste over int/haste gems. IIRC, pure haste gems only become worth it in T14H.

#15 roninmartyr

roninmartyr

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 03:48 PM

I see the fire mage spec link but there isn't one for Frost or Arc? Is there plan for the thread runner to add these or are they just common google search options?

Pardon my ignorance I haven't played mage in a while and plan on coming back.

#16 DKH

DKH

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 01:50 AM

I'd very much like to know if there is any reliable place to discuss how Arcane perfoms, now that it is fairly superior on single target fights atleast.

I'm very confused on when Haste pulls ahead, depending on your gear and when Mastery becomes superior (with heroic gear as far as I know).

#17 Heef

Heef

Piston Honda

• Moderators
  • 284 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 05:28 AM

I see the fire mage spec link but there isn't one for Frost or Arc? Is there plan for the thread runner to add these or are they just common google search options?

Pardon my ignorance I haven't played mage in a while and plan on coming back.

Thread authors for Arcane and Frost have not yet presented themselves. Hopefully they will, but at this time, they haven't yet surfaced. Thread authors are on a volunteer basis here, and several of the primary authors from past expansions have retired, so we have a void that hasn't yet been filled.

#18 Moonfaxx

Moonfaxx

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 07:05 PM

Is capable of proccing Arcane Missiles?

#19 Doroteasenjk

Doroteasenjk

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:06 PM

Is capable of proccing Arcane Missiles?

All research indicates that having the glyph present does not increase the proc rate from just using Arcane Blast.

#20 Moonfaxx

Moonfaxx

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:02 PM

All research indicates that having the glyph present does not increase the proc rate from just using Arcane Blast.

Do you have a source you can provide?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users