Photo

Infraction for HoneTheDroll: 6. Do not post unless you have something new and worthwhile to say.

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Jessamy

Jessamy

Struck by Diax's Rake

• Moderators
  • 4,803 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 05:41 PM

User: HoneTheDroll
Infraction: 6. Do not post unless you have something new and worthwhile to say.

Administrative Note:

Message to User:

After you finish leveling and start raiding, you will have more authority when you compare healing styles. Until then you're basing your arguments on guesswork and hearsay.

Original Post:

I don't think we'll be able to fistweave primarily on progression content
[...]
I believe in terms of optimizing heals/DPS (or even just heals) you will want to fistweave but you'll still fall back to traditional methods of healing due to its many advantages (control, output, etc). I don't think fistweaving is just a nice gimmick but I don't think it'll ever be a viable alternative on progression without being heavily mechanic dependent. At the moment, fistweaving has only one strong positive influence (in my opinion) - Chi generation. However, nothing is impossible so we may see someone use fistweaving as an effective replacement.

Unless I've missed something significant in the blue posting, the intent is for melee healing to be a viable choice (note I said viable, not optimal). To me, this is not the same as "melee healing only if you significantly overgear content or have a particularly favorable boss mechanic." Whether or not Blizzard's intent for the spec lines up with reality, they have expressed that this should be a possibility.

Your final paragraph points to the reason I am trying to initiate a more serious and focused dialogue about melee healing. I think it is important to make the distinction and collect the information in a format that is more accessible. As it stands, we have a lot of discussion focused on what the top progression guilds are doing. It seems that most people are playing this new class of healer very closely to the old standard (with some concessions made for the sake of optimal chi generation). There are many who seem open to something more, but rather than take a wait and see approach ("maybe someday someone will make it work"), I'm going to actively pursue this with theory and math, and hopefully I won't be going that path alone.

I understand (from an outside perspective) the pressures of progression-focused guilds, and how easily logs and statistics can become sacred cows, but it's a dangerous trap to be falling into so early in the life of this new class. Those who encourage taking the middle path are missing something important. Without hard theory work done on the melee side, there's no middle, it's just the center (old school ranged) and combination style, just barely to the left.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users