• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Hamlet

Hamlet

Mike Tyson

• • Guide Author
  • 11,540 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 06:28 PM

In my case at least, pet battles were totally the sleeper hit of MoP. Of course we had to have a thread for the ins and outs of pet PvE and PvP. For the intro post, just some resources:

Wowhead interactive pet map--for anytime you need to know exactly where to find something:
Maps - World of Warcraft

Fast Pet/ability lookup:
PetBattleArena

Stat calculator for each rarity/breed:
Warcraft Battle Pets

General info:
WarcraftPets.com - WoW Battle Pets, Companions and Vanity Pets

#2 Hamlet

Hamlet

Mike Tyson

• • Guide Author
  • 11,540 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 06:43 PM

I found that doing the chain of PvE tamers, up through the new Spirit Tamers, didn't present too many problems. I was worried I'd have to spend time leveling a bunch of various things in order to have workable matchups against all of them. But in the end, the same team of three carried me all the way to the top--I had only the 3 25's when I did the Spirit Tamers.

My team was Magical Crawdad, Mini-Thor, and Phoenix Hatchling. I think I was just lucky with my starting choices, mostly (I picked them on the first day based on rarity). Crawdad is just a total hero, I can't recommend him highly enough to anyone getting started. Mini-Thor is a really solid Mechanical option, but there are others--Clockwork Gnome is popular. Hatchling may not even be too special, all I really used him for was applying Immolation on the first turn and swapping out--there are probably better options there.

#3 Moshne

Moshne

Soda Popinski

•  Patrons
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 06:46 PM

I think a "How To" is in order for the breed site. I've linked it to a number of people and it isn't immediately clear what they are looking at.

There is a hidden stat on all pets, their Breed ID. This number determines how much of a stat that pet receives each time it levels. You can see a chart description of this on the "Information" tab of Warcraft Battle Pets.

What is apparent is if you want to maximize the amount of stats your pets receive, you want pets in Breeds 4, 5 or 6. The in-game mods translate this to P/P, S/S or H/H (you receive a 2.0 multiplier on the appropriate stat.) Breed 8 would be P/S as the multipliers go into Power and Speed. Breed3 [B/B] gives equal multipliers to all stats.

It might seem that having a balanced pet is a good idea, why wouldn't you want a pet balancing Heath and Power together? The answer is because unless you choose a hyper-specialized breed you are losing as much as 25% of your leveling stat multiplier by using a B/B build.

There are plenty of good pets that have bad stat allocation, as abilities the pets have access to are far more important than the stats, but when you are figuring out what pet to use your upgrade stones on, or which to use for you ultimate PVP team you want to make sure you are putting your best option forward. Sometimes that means going out and finding the right breed to maximize the stats.

Battle Pet BreedID - Battle Pets - World of Warcraft Addons - Curse is a fantastic mod for seeing this information in game.

- 13/13 HM -25m - W/Th/Sun 8-12 CST LF Mistweaver
www.somethingwickedguild.com

#4 Moshne

Moshne

Soda Popinski

•  Patrons
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:23 PM

Accuracy Stat

On the topic of "hidden stats" there is another that causes a lot of headache on the public forums and in-game. Much like our player spells, there is a miss rate for pet battles. This is pretty obvious for anyone who has lost a battle against an even level NPC to a "lucky" dodge or miss.

It is also pretty clear that some abilities have a higher miss rate. They say right in the tooltip "High Chance/Moderate Chance to miss." What isn't clear is that many others also have this without a warning. You might have cursed your "two turn abilities" like Dive and Lift Off for always seeming to miss at the wrong time, but the Accuracy stat is playing into this.

Burrow, Clean Up, Deep Breath, Dive, Expunge, Heroic Leap, Launch, Lift Off, Mana Surge, Meteor Strike, Nut Barrage, Proto-Strike and Tail Slap all have a base 80% accuracy multiplier, when most other abilities begin at 100% (and Laser, the "never miss" ability has 200%) Abilities listed with "High Chance to Miss" have a 50% Accuracy Stat.

I haven't done a good test of what the base miss/dodge chance is, but it is clear that it is above and beyond this accuracy stat, and obviously there is a level based check as well which anyone power leveling a low level pet has seen.

#5 Hamlet

Hamlet

Mike Tyson

• • Guide Author
  • 11,540 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:41 PM

Is the Accuracy modified by anything? Yeah, I'd noticed Lift Off misses all the time; I'm surprised to hear it's even as high as 80% to hit, but must have had an unlucky string.

That also really hurts their value since you're missing on a two-turn investment worth of damage. Part of the reason I like Mini-Thor so much is the damage on Launch Rocket, which doesn't have the high miss chance. And the mechs are tough enough that they don't mind taking the extra hit in between the two turns.

#6 Moshne

Moshne

Soda Popinski

•  Patrons
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:50 PM

Well Lift Off isn't all for naught. Even if it misses you get a one turn dodge effect, which normally has a 3 turn CD by itself. This is what makes Lift off far superior to Deep Breath on something like Onyxian Whelpling. Same miss chance, similar damage, but one turn of dodges. Especially on faster pets, this can be very valuable.

As far as I can tell there is no other modifier other than abilities that explicitly increase Accuracy, which are few and far between (and have no effect on dodge, as anyone who has had their Blood in the Water or Laser dodged can attest to.)

My assumption, and I'll be trying to test this today if I get some time is that there is a base miss rate (0% on 100% accuracy abilities) that is then reduced by the base chance to dodge/avoid the attack. So a hypothetical 5% chance to dodge, 5% chance to cause an attack to miss would make an 80% accuracy attack drop to 70%. If the base dodge/miss chances are higher than this, that would reflect our feeling that these abilities miss a lot.

Regarding Mechs. I really dislike Mechanical pets generally. They have, depending on your perspective, an inherent double weakness/double strength in that both the attacks they are weak against (Elemental) are the same family as mitigates their family attacks (Elemental.) Mechanical are the only family that suffers from this. This basically makes any Elemental a hard counter to pretty much any Mechanical, and Elemental pets are quite common which makes avoiding it difficult.

I put together a chart explaining this and allowing you to choose the best pet if you really want to farm a certain pet type: https://docs.google....Q1E&output=html. The "best double dipping" pets is based on an assumption that the pet you are fighting uses abilities of their family ability school, which is generally a same assumption when grinding wild pets. You'll want to use the chart if you find cross family pets like the Pandaren Spirit Tamers. (The "Moth" that is a critter is a troubling one, but if you find a dragon with beast abilities, you mitigate his attacks while having strong attacks against him. Untamed Hatchling is ideal for this.)

#7 Jessamy

Jessamy

Struck by Diax's Rake

• Moderators
  • 4,800 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 11:35 PM

Link dumping:

Guide to WoW Pet Battles - WarcraftPets
WarcraftPets Forum - Pet Tamer Quests and Info

#8 Acustar

Acustar

Soda Popinski

• Allied Members
  • 4,007 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 05:32 AM

More link dumping. A list of all the Battle Pet Trainers you can do daily. Pet Battles: FAQs, Links, Macros, & Addons - Forums - World of Warcraft

Spoiler

Addons aren't a crutch, they're tools to be abused by skilled players to increase performance. Like a carpenter using a hammer, a fisherman using a lure, or Xi using curse words.

#9 Caniki

Caniki

Crayon in Brain

• Allied Members
  • 4,499 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 07:47 PM

We’ve been receiving a few inquiries over Twitter and through email regarding Farmer Nishi, so we thought we’d share our thoughts on Pet Battle experience gains with you.

We will soon be applying a hotfix that causes level-25 pets to no longer “steal” experience from your lower-level pets. Previously, if you had a level-3 and level-25 pet grouped together for a battle, the XP earned would be shared between the two at the end. This resulted in some players doing what they could to kill off their level-25 pet so the level-3 pet would get all of the experience. You no longer need to worry about this as the level-3 pet will now receive 100% of the XP that’s earned, so long as it has participated in at least one round of combat.

With max-level master trainer dailies available for Northrend, Cataclysm, Pandaria, and the new line of Spirit Trainers, you have quite a few endgame battles in Pandaria which you can use to level up new pets. Be sure to wear your Safari Hat to get the most out of your battles! The over-arching goal is to provide a variety of content with which you can level up your pets each day.

Hooray.

Today marks the day that you are permabanned Caniki

#10 Acustar

Acustar

Soda Popinski

• Allied Members
  • 4,007 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 01:03 AM

That is 100% awesome. It was pretty annoying to feel like the best/fastest way to level on trainers was to kill two, get the last one low and have my main guy die off.

Found this which is pretty much exactly what I had been looking for. List of all the dailies.

Pet Battle Daily Quests

Addons aren't a crutch, they're tools to be abused by skilled players to increase performance. Like a carpenter using a hammer, a fisherman using a lure, or Xi using curse words.

#11 halbi

halbi

Von Kaiser

• Allied Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 02:25 PM

Here is another link I like using for identifying pet stats:

Warcraft Battle Pet Breeds

On another note, I found a few decent pets for farming tamers.

Fluxfire Feline - At level 25, opening with a Supercharge, followed by 2x Windup, you will hit for about 1800 and 1 shot nearly all opponents. If you don't mind sacrificing the pet, you can get off another Windup > Supercharge > Windup and take out the first two opponents for the cost of your one. The main problem with the pet is trying to find one. They are pretty heavily camped now, not to mention level 95 Tinkertown guards by some of the spawn points.

Brilliant Kaliri - The main reason to use this pet is for the ability Predatory Strike. If you use this attack and it brings the opponent under 25% hp, they will instantly be killed (well, they will take anywhere from 8-20k damage). Since most tamer pets have a pretty high health pool, you can get away with using this spell when the opponent has 700-800 hp left and it will proc the instant kill.

Eternal Strider or Dancing Water Skimmer - These pets are essentially identical. They are quite useful against the elementals (ie Pandaren Spirits) since they are aquatic. If you choose to use Cleansing Rain, the second use of pump can hit for upwards of 1000.

#12 Caniki

Caniki

Crayon in Brain

• Allied Members
  • 4,499 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 05:49 AM

Rapana Whelk - NPC - World of Warcraft is insane for farming the Pandaren Spirits. I can usually take out the elemental and one other of their pets with it.

#13 Moshne

Moshne

Soda Popinski

•  Patrons
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 11:18 PM

I added a second sheet to the spreadsheet detailing all of the crossbreed ability pets (pets that have abilities that aren't of their breed family.) The previous list assumed that your opponent would be using the abilities typical of their family (which is the case for almost all wild pets, not necessarily for tamer pets.) I expect that we'll see more tamers with pets using crossbreed attacks in the future if the Pandaren Spirit Trainers are any indication, so having more options is nice.

Might be helpful if you are leveling a bunch of pets and want them to be useful in the future rather than just being +1.

Some of the listed pets have some amount of opinion in them, as there are often multiple pets with cross abilities. I tried to list the "best" one for each, or a list if there wasn't a clear cut favorite. I also italicized any that I listed that are using a low damage ability (like something that gives you a buff in addition to the damage), a DoT, or an ability with a CD. In many of those cases you might be better off using a different pet rather than trying to exploit double dipped weaknesses.

To read the chart, the vertical column is the creature damage type you are trying to mitigate, the horizontal is the type you are trying to get additional damage on. The parentheses are just reminders for which pet family has those traits.

I didn't list a "best pet" for creatures using family appropriate abilities as there are about a dozen for each and there just isn't much point. For some combinations there just isn't a good option, or I haven't found one yet

Chart: https://docs.google....AtLXA4Q1E&gid=1

#14 Caniki

Caniki

Crayon in Brain

• Allied Members
  • 4,499 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 03:11 AM

I've been spending a decent amount of time doing 2v3 battles against the tamers. They give a great amount of XP, especially if you use a Pet Treat and a Safari Hat. I'm in the process of trying to optimize my pet teams so that I don't have to bandage as often. This is what I've got so far.

I use PetBattleTeams to keep things sane. I make no apologizes for using TCG or Feat of Strength pets.

Pandaren Trainers

Aki the Chosen
Spirit Crab H/S [1,2,1]
Yellow Moth P/P [1,1,2]
Carry Pet (any level)

Thundering Pandaren Spirit
Tolari Hare H/B [2,2,1]
Anodized Robo Cub H/H [1,2,2]
Carry Pet (any level)

Whispering Pandaren Spirit
Chrominius H/H [1,2,2]
Soul of the Aspects B/B [2,2,1]
Carry Pet (any level)

Hyuna of the Shrines
Lil' Taregosa H/P [2,1,2]
Yellow Moth P/P [1,1,2]
Carry Pet (any level)

Farmer Nishi
Purple Puffer P/P [2,2,2]
Sunreaver Micro-Sentry P/P [2,2,2]
Carry Pet (mid level)

Mo'Ruk
Lil' XT H/P [1,2,2]
Onyxian Whelpling P/B [2,1,1]
Carry Pet (any level)

Flowing Pandaren Spirit
Vampiric Batling P/S [1,2,1]
Carry Pet (high level)

Wastewalker Shu
Menagerie Custodian H/P [1,1,2]
Carry Pet (mid level)

Seeker Zusshi
Snarly H/P [1,1,2]
Vampiric Batling P/S [1,2,1]
Carry Pet (mid level)

Burning Pandaren Spirit
Kun-Lai Runt P/B [2,2,2]
Shimmershell Snail H/P [2,2,1]
Carry Pet (high level)

Courageous Yon
Nexus Whelpling P/P [1,2,2]
Flayer Youngling H/H [2,2,2]
Carry Pet (mid level)

Old World Trainers

Lydia Accoste
Shimmershell Snail H/P [1,1,1]
Leopard Tree Frog B/B [2,1,2]
Carry Pet (low level)

Stone Cold Trixxy
Scourged Whelpling H/H [1,1,2]
Lil' XT H/P [1,2,2]
Carry Pet (low level)

Obalis
Lil' XT H/P [1,2,2]
Lil' Tarecgosa [2,1,1]
Carry Pet (any level)

Major Payne
Corefire Imp P/S [1,1,2]
Cogblade Raptor S/S [2,1,1]
Carry Pet (high level)

Bloodknight Antari
Peddlefeet S/S [1,1,1]
Pandaren Water Spirit H/S [1,2,1]
Carry Pet (any level)

Jeremy Feasel
Fel Flame H/H [1,2,1]
Mechanical Pandaren Dragonling H/S [1,2,2]
Carry Pet (high level)

Beasts of Fable

Needs to bandage after every battle

Beasts of Fable
Unborn Val'kyr B/B [1,2,2]
Pandaren Water Spirit H/S [1,2,2]
Chrominius H/H [1,1,2]

This team works reliably against all of the trainers, except for No-No. For him I just use three Moths and Cocoon Strike on his Dive.

#15 Gravebait

Gravebait

Piston Honda

• Guild Members
  • 153 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 11:44 AM

Nice list. You can actually use a level 1 pet on the Burning Pandaren Spirit if you use something to sweep the dragonkin's Cyclone off the field (I use a Harbinger of Flame with Jab/Magma Wave and a P/P Emperor Crab for this fight). You can sub in your level 1 once the Burning Spirit has used Immolate, Cauterize, and Conflag - he doesn't seem to recast Immolate during the rounds that Cauterize/Conflag are both on cooldown if he's used it once, giving you two free rounds of no incoming damage.

#16 Caniki

Caniki

Crayon in Brain

• Allied Members
  • 4,499 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 03:56 PM

For Burning, I've switched to Anub Idol and Snarly, but I'll check your comp out. Thanks.

Also, I found this after I did all the work above. Guide to tamer daily pet battles (5.3) - For veterans - WarcraftPets Forum

#17 PDXMarcos

PDXMarcos

ME

• Allied Members
  • 4,690 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 01:37 AM

I have been able to reliably solo Burning with the Rapana Whelk. Start with Shell Shield, use Dive on cooldown, and Absorb. Refresh the shell shield before it drops off and you can kill all three.

#18 MysticalOS

MysticalOS

French Hacker

• ♦ Administrators
  • 774 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 18 August 2013 - 09:10 PM

So, I've been leveling pets again because I'm still a pet noob who doesn't even have 30 yet. Pet battles are a good source of coins in 5.4 since there is a daily worth 1000 a day. I'm up to 28 now but I'm curious what are looking like the "must have" pets in 5.4 with more sweeping pet battle changes? I just finished leveling up my lil bad wolf cause he owns stuff. I leveled up mojo cause he looked interesting for a vs undead pet.

#19 Tecton

Tecton

Soda Popinski

•  Patrons
  • 3,946 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 01:48 AM

5.4 PTR: Celestial Pet Tournament and New Battle Pets - Wowhead News

Wowhead have a list of each of the teams we're going to come up against in the tournament, this should be a good reference for figuring out what pets to aim for.

#20 rh8452

rh8452

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 228 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 07:01 AM

Some PVP "must haves" in my opinion, most of which are already powerful and will remain so in 5.4:

- Anubisath - Anubisath will still be pretty good for PVP. If you run an elemental on your team, negative weather effects are avoided or reduced half the time by swapping the elemental pet in for the big hit (conflagrate, nocturnal strike, etc) rather than attempting to change the weather back. The sandstorm change is a nerf, but not a gigantic one as it's used more for its higher accuracy over crush/demolish than to get rid of enemy weather effects. In addition, the team that it countered the most (clockwork gnome / lightning storm) also had lightning storm's cooldown and duration increased the same way.
- H/H direhorn or S/B (direhorn will still be valuable with horn attack / shield or primal cry despite the charge nerf, and there will be more critters used in 5.4)
- Son of Animus
- S/S crow
- S/S fiendish imp (nether gate damage reduction isn't much of a nerf as the ability is used more to cost the enemy a turn and ruin combos than for its damage)
- B/B fiendish imp
- Corefire imp
- P/P Infinite Whelpling - change to abilities such as arcane blast etc now keeping their increased damage across enemy pet swaps makes sleeping gas really strong, healing flame is great, and early advantage's secondary damage portion cuts through deflection in addition to it chewing mechanicals to shreds.
- Crawling claw (though this pet will become even weaker vs aquatics than it is now)
- Crawdad
- One or two slow hard hitting dragons (lil deathwing, thundering jade hatchling, nexus whelpling etc) as the racial change to 50% vs 25% is huge for hard hitting abilities such as mana surge. In addition there will probably be less undead pets in the meta game with the buff to aquatics, meaning less pets which take reduced damage from dragonkin abilities. And there will be more magic pets due to the magic racial change, which you can demolish more quickly with things like tail sweep or sleeping gas that will fall under the 35% cutoff.
- Pandaren Air Spirit (arcane storm + soothing mists + wild winds combo on an elemental is quite underrated)
- Pandaren Water Spirit
- Pandaren Fire Spirit
- S/S water strider
- Darkmoon Tonk
- P/P emperor crab
- One or two strong pets with demolish or other bad RNG abilities (anubisath, lil deathwing), as accuracy teams will be more powerful and viable with less pesky direhorns to tear Mr Wiggles to shreds
- Mr Wiggles
- Living Sandling
- Scourged whelpling
- Skunk of some sort
- Ghostly skull or valk (mostly for PVE, I have found neither of these pets to be all that amazing in PVP as they are nearly useless vs good players running swap abilities or direhorns, and all available variants are too slow to counter this)
- Wolpertinger (horn attack + sleeping gas as spammable + headbutt = strong CC and good damage variety)
- Netherwhelp if you're lucky enough to have BC CE: 5.4 buff to accuracy makes this pet much more potent
- Enchanted broom (magic racial buff makes this stronger despite sweep damage nerf, and it's an amazing pet to give mechanical abilities without the weakness vs elementals)

There's tons more that are "good to have" but those are particular ones that come to mind.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users