• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Rosin

Rosin

Priests are great!

• Moderators
  • 361 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 10:45 PM

A thread for the discussion of shadow priests. All the usual rules apply, please post carefully.

May the New Year be full of peace and exhilaration, in just the right amounts, at just the right time.

#2 ipleaseyou

ipleaseyou

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 02:59 PM

Im unsure what to reforge?

Crit is always nice, but will mastery boost dps more than crit?

#3 Morrim

Morrim

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 07:02 PM

Post removed because it was outdated and redundant.

Please just visit this website for baseline things such as stat weighings.

Shadow Orbs and Mind Spikes | Theorycrafting, Computations, and General Observations from a Shadow Point of View

#4 lostno

lostno

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:59 PM

why hasn't this come up yet, "to insanity, or not to insanity".....any of our favorite number crunchers beat this one up yet?

FDCL vs bender vs Insanity.....what is the DPS winner for this patch?

#5 mutagen

mutagen

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 395 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 05:35 PM

why hasn't this come up yet, "to insanity, or not to insanity"

The above linked blog addresses it, though the post on talents is buried under a giant list of BiS and some updated tier 90 talent theorycraft. In short, with the legendary meta gem and BiS T15 PI+Insanity is the best choice for all but heavy movement fights.

My two (not-so-informed) sents.

#6 aipexe

aipexe

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 08:25 PM

Anyone know if mind flay with devouring plague(3 shadow orb, with solace and insanity) takes priority over applying another shadow orb with mind blast?

#7 urumii

urumii

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 09:24 PM

Anyone know if mind flay with devouring plague(3 shadow orb, with solace and insanity) takes priority over applying another shadow orb with mind blast?

Copied from a reputable poster from various priest forums:
Single Target Spell Priority
1. Devouring Plague (3 Orb)
2. Shadow Word: Death
3. Mind Blast (@Yvalle, I’m a bit curious why you put mind blast a step below sw:d in the priority, is this simply due to the cast time, which in practice results in a longer cd & possibly lower dpet? If so DI:MB procs should still be a step above sw:d, no?)
4. Mind Flay: Insanity
5. Shadow Word: Pain
6. Vampiric Touch
7. Mindbender
8. Halo
9. Mind Flay

Source:
[Priest] Shadow DPS Guide - Page 25

#8 hjackma51982

hjackma51982
  • Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 11:40 PM

I am by no means an expert shadow priest, but my understanding is that the first SW: D cast takes priority over Mind Blast due to its instant cast and guaranteed orb generation. The second is a lower priority as it is not guaranteed to proc an orb

#9 Gloryrider

Gloryrider

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 11:43 AM

When you cast SWD > MB > SWD, you are effectively incurring the 8s cooldown only after the 2nd (non-orb-giving) SWD. That is exactly the same as if you would have done MB > SWD > SWD, because of how the shadow passive works.
That's why it's useless splitting up the 2, unless you have a timer running that will show you when the ICD of the passive runs out, aka when your next SWD will give another orb.

EDIT: well, it's not useless when MB comes off cd right after/during the GCD of your first SWD, and maybe for these scenario's you might want to keep track of the ICD anyway. But purposefully giving your first SWD a higher priority than the 2nd will result in no DPS or usage gain as far as I know

#10 Deafmetalman

Deafmetalman

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 11:21 AM

Would anyone like to explain why Mr Robot is telling me to respec for crit and such, so that I'm at 21% haste? I'm currently at 25%ish, and I got a new helmet. Not it's telling me to gem and reforge out of haste... This makes no sense to me...

#11 Contradiction

Contradiction

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 06:05 PM

Unless you're a Goblin, you're going to want to get your haste to 8085 (7584 if you're a goblin) before reforging into Crit. If Mr. Robot is telling you otherwise then you're better off just ignoring its recommendations. That website's good but it isn't exactly known for its accuracy. In my opinion you should download the addon ReforgeLite and set the values to make sure it achieves your haste cap before reforging into other stats, and it'll even do the reforging for you.

#12 Daler

Daler

Bald Bull

• Members
  • 1,216 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 08:44 AM

That website's good but it isn't exactly known for its accuracy.

Then no, it isn't good. It's a steaming pile of crap.

Also, your haste cap will shift with gear lvl and talent choices. Twintop did a nice write-up of the 5.2 haste breakpoints over at H2P.

#13 Crank Master

Crank Master

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 03:03 PM

Hello all, kinda a noob Shd priest here.

My haste is @ 10,200 which according to H2P is where it needs to be for the second tick on both my dots and DP. My question is:

Is the additional haste between the 8085 and the 10,200 which really only provides the second free tick on Vamp worth the loss of int/crit? I spent a good chunk of time post raid last night trying to figure out simcraft. I do not have the legendary meta and using mr robot with the scale points that simcraft gave me, Robot said to go mastery like there is no tomorrow. Dropping my haste back down to the 8085 will give me a NICE int/crit boost.

All that being said, I am wondering if there is some sort of breakdown on simcraft that will explain it better to a totally sim rookie. I watched the you tube vid with the warlock developer. I am trying to find out how to get my own stat weights to plug into reforge light and make sure I am maximizing my output.

#14 claythearc

claythearc

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 08:16 AM

Hello all, kinda a noob Shd priest here.

My haste is @ 10,200 which according to H2P is where it needs to be for the second tick on both my dots and DP. My question is:

Is the additional haste between the 8085 and the 10,200 which really only provides the second free tick on Vamp worth the loss of int/crit? I spent a good chunk of time post raid last night trying to figure out simcraft. I do not have the legendary meta and using mr robot with the scale points that simcraft gave me, Robot said to go mastery like there is no tomorrow. Dropping my haste back down to the 8085 will give me a NICE int/crit boost.

All that being said, I am wondering if there is some sort of breakdown on simcraft that will explain it better to a totally sim rookie. I watched the you tube vid with the warlock developer. I am trying to find out how to get my own stat weights to plug into reforge light and make sure I am maximizing my output.

Hey, so I just SimCrafted everything using AskMrRobot to try to keep everything as optimized as possible as far as gemming and reforging goes. I used my priest as the reference in gear, currently at 507 ilvl. What I found was that on most fights, using SW:I, and Twist of Fate, is that stopping @ 8085 haste gives a small damage boost over going towards the VT cap @ 30.01%.

The results were:

Fight Style 24.97% Haste 30.01% Haste
Hectic AddCleave 112,872 116,372
Patchwerk 109,876 109,457
HelterSkelter 89,561 88,571
Ultraxion 104,510 105,165
LightMovement 106,404 106,053
HeavyMovement 68,222 66,594
RaidDummy 107,884 106,959

So basically I found that in intermediate gear, it is preferable to stay at 8,085 haste; however, the difference is very small.

#15 Crank Master

Crank Master

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 06:32 PM

Thanks,

I have regemmed and reforged each way (gets costly to do it this way but i have zero knowledge of sim craft) and honestly could not tell the difference. Which is the basis of the question. Was wondering if i shouldnt be leaning those extra haste points towards crit or mastery. I am going to assume that our equip is about equal as we are about the same ilvl. Would love to get some input on how to operate simcraft properly. Feel free to add me Crank Master 1851.

Appreciate your input!

#16 Husqvarna

Husqvarna

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 12:31 AM

Guys i've been wondering about Mind Spike do i use it after i VT, SW:P and DP on a target or we just dont use that spella t all ? Cuz i havent seen u mention it anywhere ?

#17 Gloryrider

Gloryrider

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 12:39 AM

if you read the tooltip closely you'll see that casting mind spike on a target will remove all of your DoT effects (VT, SW:P and DP), that means that in a general rotation we never hard cast it. your standard fillers are Mind blast, SW-D (sub-20%) and Mind Flay, in that priority order.
2 situations where you do use mind spike:
a) obviously if you specced into the talent 'from darkness comes light', when this procs, you can cast the instant-cast, free and more powerful mind spike, it will not remove your DoTs
B) an monster spawns that needs to be killed by your raid/party so quickly that it's not worth putting DoTs on it, on these you can hard cast mind spikes and mind blast. I'd say the limit is a timeframe of about 10 seconds, any DPS time less than this probably won't be worth casting DoTs on.

#18 Crank Master

Crank Master

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 08:51 PM

It is also great when something is reflecting damage and you need to remove your dots (a.k.a. Spirit Kings). You can glyph into it for the free instant as well which will help you DPS on the run.

#19 ohcrocsle

ohcrocsle

Hvitserk Hook (aka Stinky)

• Guild Members
  • 929 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 10:28 PM

You should not need to remove dots on spirit kings. Most mechanics are set up to ignore already present effects and only respond on application of effects so that classes with DoTs aren't forced to do terrible damage to avoid the repercussion.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users