• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#21 Elendril

Elendril

KINDOFABIGDEAL

• Members
  • 5,560 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 05:03 AM

People keep telling me on twitter they're watching me crush hearthstone streamers. It's kind of amusing.

#22 MysticalOS

MysticalOS

French Hacker

• ♦ Administrators
  • 935 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 23 August 2013 - 05:25 AM

I've been hit or miss, I win some I lose some.

I had one warlock destroy me with a ragnaros card to which I just didn't have a hex in hand to really deal with it.

I had another warlock who thought it was a sure thing cause I was at like 5 health and him 30, and then he died. He had no idea what I had in store. Ah shaman burst damage. :)

#23 Lorcal

Lorcal

His Badness

• Members
  • 296 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 12:56 PM

People keep telling me on twitter they're watching me crush hearthstone streamers. It's kind of amusing.

Yeah, saw you kill one of them with a hunter deck. Was funny.

#24 Avair

Avair

The Howard Roark of Shipwrights

• Members
  • 3,909 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 01:58 PM

I started my first arena and its an interesting way to run a draft. Spreading the time commitment out for matchs and not needing 8 people all at once is a nice way to do things. I assume you go until you have 9 wins or 3 losses right? I'm only like 2-1 so far with a paladin deck.

Despite not seeing more of the card pool, I think my WoW drafting rules of thumb hold up here, which is:

1. Few 1 drops
2. Lots of two drops
3. Bulk should be 3-5 drops.
4. Handful of 6+.

I'm rating 2 drops even higher here than I do in WoWTCG drafting (which is already pretty highly). 'The Coin' means that you can often play a 2 drop on turn one. The format doesn't seem fast enough to punish missing a one drops. All the aggressive drops (2/1) die to the good opposing heros powers (i.e Mage, Druid, Rogue).

2 drop 2/3s are very solid since they kill all the 1 drops, most of the 2 drops and even some 4/5 drops, especially when you are going second. You opponent is just giving up a card when they play a 1 drop on the play.

#25 formina

formina

King Hippo

• Members
  • 672 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 10:48 PM

Arena has been pretty fun. I was finding it funny that I wasn't seeing legendaries when I played about 10 battles last night, so today the arena decided to grace me with my second two losses coming to Deathwing and Onyxia. It was kind of painful.

I've done okay so far, only 5-3 on the first and 6-3 on the second. Definitely starting to see more cards that I like and what I don't like. I've been playing fairly controlling. Jaina on my first one really supported that as I could squeeze out card advantage using fireblast and then slowly just end up with more real creatures than my opponent. Tried Uther on the second and he was alright. Definitely want to try an arena with each class before deciding my favorites though.

#26 Hamlet

Hamlet

Mike Tyson

• • Guide Author
  • 11,567 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 03:56 AM

Another Arena stream:
HamletEJ - Hearthstone Beta Arena 2

9-1 with Jaina. Got 320 coins and a pack (maybe we don't have to do this every time, I don't feel like tabulating all of them :P. I'm sure someone will eventually). More interesting to talk about decks and things.

#27 diospadre

diospadre

Hero of the Horde

• Guild Members
  • 7,465 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 12:58 PM

People who have been doing a lot of arena: how often are you going far enough to make back your entry fee?

#28 Moshne

Moshne

Soda Popinski

•  Patrons
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 06:36 PM

Infrequently. Maybe 1 in 4 or 5. I probably get 5-6 wins on most arenas I do, which nets about 100-110 normally due to split four slots between gold and dust. I generally only get 150+ on 7 or more. Sometimes if you roll three gold you will on 5-6 wins. Anything less than 5 wins and you won't get 150 even with 3 gold piles.

- 13/13 HM -25m - W/Th/Sun 8-12 CST LF Mistweaver
www.somethingwickedguild.com

#29 formina

formina

King Hippo

• Members
  • 672 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 07:05 PM

Kind of awkward. If your client crashes or you disconnect, it's an automatic loss. I logged back on within 30 seconds and it just showed a loss in my arena pane. :(

#30 Hamlet

Hamlet

Mike Tyson

• • Guide Author
  • 11,567 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 08:09 PM

It depends on exactly what you mean by "make back your entry fee". In terms of pure gold, you have to win to win something like 7 games to regularly get 150, it seems. But the pack is worth 100 gold, and if dust are worth around a gold each, then that's significant too. So you nearly always get prizes worth what you put in, but it takes a lot of wins to get some prizes + another arena entry fee.

#31 Moshne

Moshne

Soda Popinski

•  Patrons
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 08:52 PM

9-2, Jaina (didn't get an SS of the deck), 55 dust, 195 gold, two packs.

#32 Hamlet

Hamlet

Mike Tyson

• • Guide Author
  • 11,567 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 05:25 AM

7-3 draft with Warlock:
[ATTACH]16013[/ATTACH][ATTACH]16012[/ATTACH]

And 6-3 with Shaman:
[ATTACH]16014[/ATTACH][ATTACH]16015[/ATTACH]

#33 Benhameen

Benhameen

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 382 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 04:28 AM

Good weapons feel overpowered in Arena, especially crazy things like Gorehowl. They are all card advantage, and Acidic Swamp Ooze is the only way to deal with them so they rarely get dealt with.

I don't think I've lost starting with a weapon with 3 or more durability on the draw.
I help run GameHead for all your tabletop gaming needs.

#34 Avair

Avair

• Members
  • 3,909 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 01:56 PM

Think of weapons as a form of charge, as well as board control which is key in limited matches. They enable you to protect your own allies by trading your life to keep them alive. The fact that they don't have strike costs in Hearthstone (they did in WoWTCG) enabled you to keep building your board even as you kill there for no resource cost.

#35 Benhameen

Benhameen

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 382 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 05:18 PM

Think of weapons as a form of charge, as well as board control which is key in limited matches. They enable you to protect your own allies by trading your life to keep them alive. The fact that they don't have strike costs in Hearthstone (they did in WoWTCG) enabled you to keep building your board even as you kill there for no resource cost.

No I understand what they do - I actually come from Upper Deck and Cryptozoic so I've played a few games of the TCG. :D

Without the strike cost their only drawback is drawing multiples combined with smaller hand sizes, where in the TCG you could just row extras. I haven't paid much attention to constructed yet so I'm not sure how good they are there, but I could see Arcanite Reaper making most decks that can play it.
I help run GameHead for all your tabletop gaming needs.

#36 Moshne

Moshne

Soda Popinski

•  Patrons
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 06:20 PM

The key is that only a few classes can use weapons as well, and they tend to lack any non-neutral heals. The warrior is a bit of an exception here with Armor, the warrior using Arcanite Reaper as removal isn't that big of a deal. I'm not really sure it being used as direct damage is either, as it can still be circumvented by Taunt creatures (and thus force them to take damage.)

Or put differently, I just don't see weapons as being any more of a problem than Fireball or Pyroblast, and those seem pretty balanced. Most weapons only give two swings, which is a bit more card advantage than using a pure nuke that only hits one target, but their costs don't seem that out of line.

#37 Avair

Avair

• Members
  • 3,909 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 06:21 PM

No I understand what they do - I actually come from Upper Deck and Cryptozoic so I've played a few games of the TCG. :D

Without the strike cost their only drawback is drawing multiples combined with smaller hand sizes, where in the TCG you could just row extras. I haven't paid much attention to constructed yet so I'm not sure how good they are there, but I could see Arcanite Reaper making most decks that can play it.

Heh, fair enough then. Your point about drawing multiples is valid as well. That, combined with 'The Coin' makes 1 drop allies almost unplayable in my mind in limited. If you go second, you generally want to play a two drop (2/3 is the best stat line IMO), and drawing a 1 drop later feels miserable since you can't just row it.

#38 Hamlet

Hamlet

Mike Tyson

• • Guide Author
  • 11,567 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 06:39 PM

I don't think weapons are overpowered, but they seem to nearly all be very limited playable (just scanning here: Hearthstone Cards - World of Warcraft ). The life loss from using them for card advantage (taking two or more hits by definition) is a big deal.

1 toughness creatures can be issue due to how easy they are to remove. Otherwise though, I really like having early plays. A lot of 1-drops are mediocre, but there are some good ones (Voidwalker, Blood Imp, Mana Wyrm), and many good 2-drops. I've come around more to liking a lot of 2 in my mana curve to have some initiative in the early game.

#39 bartolimu

bartolimu

palpably superior comprehension

• Moderators
  • 13,878 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 09:21 PM

I don't think weapons are overpowered, but they seem to nearly all be very limited playable (just scanning here: Hearthstone Cards - World of Warcraft ). The life loss from using them for card advantage (taking two or more hits by definition) is a big deal.

It's more advantage than just 2:1 card advantage, which is already good. If I have a weapon, I effectively pay life (or armor) to limit my opponent's options. If I left that minion on the field, my opponent could use it to:
- attack me directly, causing damage (possibly multiple times, possibly with buffs)
- destroy one of my low-toughness minions, thereby reducing my own potential damage and possibly disabling combos built into my deck (Starving Buzzard, Mana Addict, etc.)
- destroy Taunt minons that would be better spent blocking higher-attack minions
- blow up all my minions with Shadowflame
- get out a cheaper Sea Giant, a more powerful Frostwolf Warlord, etc.
- probably a lot of other unpleasant things I'd rather not have my opponent doing any sooner than necessary.

A weapon gives very potent board control, slows the other player's power curve, and allows me to take out threats on my terms without having mess up my mana curve (after the weapon is out) or sacrifice my own minions.

Basically what it comes down to is winning with 1 health is equivalent to winning with 30, so spending health for card advantage is a very good deal - especially early on when most minions are fragile enough for weapons to one-shot.

#40 thornmallow

thornmallow

Flatcat!

• Allied Members
  • 840 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 02:38 AM

8-3 as Thrall, 255 gold (4 boxes), 1 pack. My deck had 2 Bloodlusts and 2 Flametongue Totems. I also placed a fair bit of emphasis on getting the 2-body creatures. One of my losses came to a mage that drew her 4-damage sweeper the turn before I drew a Bloodlust. :(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users