• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#41 Hamlet

Hamlet

Mike Tyson

• • Guide Author
  • 11,540 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 02:42 AM

9-2 as Paladin (345 gold). Was trying out a different sort of build. There was some various luck involved due to a lack of removal and not running into too many sweepers, and ripping Lay on Hands in the final game after being Pyroblasted down to 1.

[ATTACH]16040[/ATTACH][ATTACH]16041[/ATTACH]

I don't really have a theory here since that deck doesn't seem great, it's just weenies without much synergy. But having consistent early drops is seeming more and more important in this game.

#42 formina

formina

King Hippo

• Members
  • 672 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 04:29 AM

Yeah, I had similar thoughts with my first 9-0 in a Mage deck. I had enough early game that could usually keep me alive long enough to get to the sturdier midrange creatures. Granted I had a few creatures with enrage/berserk that Fire Blast made better, but Fire Blast in general is pretty decent at allowing your early game to trade up. I think my favorite part of the deck was the secret that redirects a minion-targeted spell to a summoned 1/3. A druid snap conceded after his +4 health and taunt got redirected.

I've had success with Priest, but from what I'm hearing a lot aren't liking it. I've gotten it I think 3-4 times, and every time has been 7 wins at least (once a 9-x). I may just be getting lucky since 2-3 Northshire Clerics and 2-3 Mind Controls were in every deck and were huge players in my wins.

#43 Lorcal

Lorcal

His Badness

• Members
  • 296 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 04:08 PM

I've had success with Priest, but from what I'm hearing a lot aren't liking it. I've gotten it I think 3-4 times, and every time has been 7 wins at least (once a 9-x). I may just be getting lucky since 2-3 Northshire Clerics and 2-3 Mind Controls were in every deck and were huge players in my wins.

Priest seems by far the hardest to get 9 wins in arena. I watched Kripparian on twitch trying to get 9 wins on priest and it's pretty brutal. It took him 3 days of playing all night after he got all the other classes. He had a bunch of 8-3s, but druid decks were generally auto-loose once you got at the end stretch.

#44 Avair

Avair

The Howard Roark of Shipwrights

• Members
  • 3,909 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 10:43 PM

9-2 w/ Rogue = [285 Gold (3x), 55 Dust, 1 Pack]. Going second with multiple 0 costs spells (including the coin) make combos (especially Defias Ring Leader) pretty abusive. Having a 2/3 and 2/1 in play on your first turn puts the opposing player on their back heels really quickly.

#45 formina

formina

King Hippo

• Members
  • 672 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 11:22 PM

Priest seems by far the hardest to get 9 wins in arena. I watched Kripparian on twitch trying to get 9 wins on priest and it's pretty brutal. It took him 3 days of playing all night after he got all the other classes. He had a bunch of 8-3s, but druid decks were generally auto-loose once you got at the end stretch.

Yeah, I've seen Kripp draft the priest deck and disagree with a lot of his choices. He definitely has played more of the game than me though, so who knows. I'll try priest some more when I get more experience with the other decks.

#46 Hamlet

Hamlet

Mike Tyson

• • Guide Author
  • 11,540 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 05:27 AM

Got another 9-1 Arena on stream. It was a very similar deck to the 9-2 Paladin draft I mentioned yesterday, where it felt a like a big mash of generic creatures, but somehow played well as an aggressive deck. I can't exactly identify a theme that tied it together yet, but want to figure out how to keep drafting these.

HamletEJ - Hearthstone Beta Arena 3

Should be an entertaining video. Basically feels like a whole bunch of games I shouldn't have won.

#47 Shabadu

Shabadu

Daddy Warlord of the Children of the Corn

• Guild Members
  • 3,934 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 06:48 PM

The theme was, don't underestimate Questing Adventurer and you can never have too many weapons.

#48 Hamlet

Hamlet

Mike Tyson

• • Guide Author
  • 11,540 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 11:51 PM

I haven't focused on rewards in too much detail, but it seems pretty clear that you get 1 pack and 4 random bags of gold/dust, which have a small chance of being an added back of a gold card at high levels. The only interesting thing I've noticed is a bag of exactly 150 gold which I think might be an automatic reward at a certain number of wins (9?).

But any rate, if you want to record rewards, the total doesn't help much, you need to see what individual gold/dust bags can hold at each level.

#49 Vaccine

Vaccine

Mr. Sandman

• Members
  • 5,325 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 09:15 AM

First Arena was doing pretty well, 5 wins 1 loss (though just added the second cos of the below bug). Got a Hunter which seem strong to me and managed to grab a ton of beasts and beast buffing cards so that's working pretty well. Also grabbed a Nozdormu but it's pretty buggy, often the timer doesn't start in the opponents turn, especially straight after playing it.

Is it possible to play too fast that some abilities don't take effect? I just had a Hunter's Mark/Stormpike Commando combo not kill an Imp Master which was bizarre. Was a Shaman I was against, no invulnerability or anything. But it basically cost me the game as he was able to protect the imp master and heal it up after that to keep pumping out minions.
Posted Image

#50 diospadre

diospadre

Hero of the Horde

• Guild Members
  • 7,465 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 12:09 PM

Hunter's Mark is bugged and sometimes just doesn't do anything.

#51 Vaccine

Vaccine

Mr. Sandman

• Members
  • 5,325 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 01:57 PM

What sort of cost distribution are people using in these games? I get the feeling I'm grabbing too many cheap cards. My last arena with a Paladin I'd dominate till halfway through then basically run out of cards and be sat the rest of the game playing 1 card a turn whereas my opponents at that point had massive hands of cards without even drawing that many.
Posted Image

#52 bartolimu

bartolimu

palpably superior comprehension

• Moderators
  • 13,877 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 03:19 PM

With paladin especially I'll avoid smaller minions and pick up only cheap removal/buff cards. Exceptions of course for great cheap minions like Tauren Warrior or Raging Worgen. I rely on my hero ability to keep the flow of weenies coming and load up on heavy minions or ones with great abilities once the cheap control/removal has gotten me through the early game. This is less effective against Shaman (due to them having spammable minions as well) and warlocks (too much mass removal in most decks), but depending on the draft I usually do decently well.

So I guess for Paladin I keep my mana curve kind of U-shaped, with control cards (remember, this includes weapons) on the low-cost end and fatty minions on the high. It's fairly flat most of the time since there are tons of good 4-cost minions to want. Warlocks can afford to go heavier on cheap cards because they have a draw engine that's strongest in the early game. Mage I generally go for more of a bell curve, but good cheap board control cards usually end up spiking the 1- and 2-cost stuff higher than might look wise. Warrior I ignore mana curve, draft every weapon I can, and pick up as much card draw, spot removal, and silencing as possible. (This has very uneven results - I went 6-3 with a deck I wasn't happy with, then pulled two Arcanite Reapers, two Fiery War Axes, and a Gorehowl along with three silences and great minions; that deck proceeded to go 0-3 in a perplexing display of never having the card I needed in-hand.) Shamans I don't think it matters what they draft, totems and their class cards are strong enough they can roll their face on the keyboard and go 5-3 no problem.

#53 Saltycracker

Saltycracker

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 378 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 12:07 AM

2 Legendaries during draw /boggle
Twitter - @Saltyeric
Monk Windwalker Spreadsheet - https://docs.google....RsNVJSZlE#gid=6
WW 5.4 PTR Spreadsheet - hhttps://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Anhp6CgrSES9dFJFVk11S3lrNldPNXNnelhPVVN6aXc#gid=2

#54 diablomath

diablomath

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 11:03 PM

I'm assuming all the data here about wins/gold and gold/box etc is outdated. I just got into the beta recently and looking at all the charts, info etc of expected gold per arena performance got me thinking. What on average could you expect to get as a payout if you say, bought 25 arena admissions (with cash primarily for this thought process) version spending that $50 on 40 hearthstone packs?

Everyone is probably aware of how 7 wins or above gets you your entrance fee back, and if you can reliably have that many wins clearly thats the best way to spend your money/gold. For those of us still learning or having a lower average amount of wins though, whats the expectation?

Anyways, I'm trying to answer this primarily through seeing statistics much like everyone was posting here. I threw together a quick google docs spreadsheet and form to gather all the info everyone can contribute and answer exactly questions like I presented above. If you can contribute any data, please check out my reddit post, I posted a link to the spreadsheet as the link and the form in the first comment I made. I'm also extremely interested in any ideas people have about what type of statistics to derive from the data I (hopefully) get.

#55 Unspoken

Unspoken

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 01:57 PM

Hey guys.  New to the forum, and to Hearthstone.  I have been playing with the Hunter as I have watch videos I really like the board control you can get with him and the flood of cards on the board.  Anyways I have yet to do the arena, but may try it tonight.  Getting tired of grinding for the Gold.  If I go 5-5 I will be a happy guy.  :)

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users