19 replies to this topic

#1 MysticalOS

MysticalOS

French Hacker

• ♦ Administrators
  • 1075 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 19 August 2013 - 09:36 PM

This is the thread for simple questions that don't fit anywhere else. If your question applies to one of the existing thread topics, please post it there instead; if you expect to generate significant additional discussion, create a new thread. If, however, you have a simple question that only requires a simple answer and don't see a better place to post it, this is your thread.

Note that all forum rules other than the injunction against hand holding requests still apply in this thread, and that rule still applies everywhere else. Clear communication is important even in short posts. A short "no" or "choose trinket B" response to a question isn't helpful, and will receive an infraction -- briefly explain the why and how of things. The goal is to educate, not babysit.

#2 Syncness

Syncness

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 06:35 AM

Do you think FF14:ARR will gain enough traction on EJ to warrant theory-crafting threads like WoW?

#3 MysticalOS

MysticalOS

French Hacker

• ♦ Administrators
  • 1075 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 20 August 2013 - 07:27 AM

I'm hoping so. Hard to really say until we see how solid launch is and how the end game plays out.

#4 Regen

Regen

King Hippo

• Members
  • 605 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 12:25 PM

Given the nature of how vague Square is with stats this will definitely be the case, there has already been significant theory-crafting work done on a few - HP being one that I know for sure has been cracked already.

#5 Xoya

Xoya

Bald Bull

• Allied Members
  • 1476 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 02:01 PM

How well does FFIV:ARR play on not-top-end systems?

I would argue that Hitler was one of the great champions of the recruitment scam.

#6 Asmik

Asmik

Mr. Sandman

• Members
  • 6781 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 03:09 PM

How well does FFIV:ARR play on not-top-end systems?

Did you try the benchmark utility? FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn Official Benchmark (Character Creation)

It's a fairly comprehensive system check.

#7 Kurisu

Kurisu

So damned Devious

•  Patrons
  • 9966 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 04:20 PM

Can someone make a thread that talks a lot about classes/jobs at some decent amount of detail and their experiences playing them? It would be helpful for people trying to figure out what they want to play.

#8 VRoscioli

VRoscioli

Bald Bull

• Members
  • 1413 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 04:45 PM

I was surprised by how few of your characters' settings are stored server-side. I played the beta on several PCs: not only do you have to re-set your keybindings, action bar set up, and what is on your action bars, but even things like gear sets are only maintained client-side.

The data for all of this configuration appears to be stored in
C:\Users\<user>\My Documents\My Games\FINAL FANTASY XIV - A Realm Reborn\FFXIV_CHR<hex>
(on Windows 7). Has anyone had any success trying to synchronize this directory across multiple PCs (so that you don't have to manually update your action bars, gearsets, etc. on each PC separately)?

One of the advantages of not being a developer is that I have no knowledge of any "proper" way to do anything. That and C is liking coding in an illustrated version of assembler.

Pri DK Shm Pal

#9 pelux

pelux

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 04:58 PM

things like gear sets are only maintained client-side.

Well that is going to suck for those planing on playing from both PC and PS3.

As for syncing, there's no reason you shouldn't be able to sync with services like SugarSync the same way you would your /WTF and /Interface folders for WoW.

#10 Regen

Regen

King Hippo

• Members
  • 605 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 05:32 PM

Well that is going to suck for those planing on playing from both PC and PS3.

You most definitely would not want the same UI set up on the PS3 as you would on PC, unless you play on playing on PC with a controller... to which I answer My God.

#11 pelux

pelux

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 05:44 PM

You most definitely would not want the same UI set up on the PS3 as you would on PC, unless you play on playing on PC with a controller... to which I answer My God.

You'll notice I only quoted the part about the gear sets. :)

That being said, I played FFXI on PC with keyboard only (JKLI for camera movements, it was awesome) or a controller (when mining and such.) I barely ever used the mouse, I know I did for some things but I can't remember what exactly, it's been so long.

So far in FFXIV I've only ever used the standard mouse/keyboard setup because it's really the most intuitive setup (but not necessarily the best for my preference.) I knew my time was limited in the beta weekends and didn't want to spend part of that relearning basic controls.

#12 Syncness

Syncness

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 08:07 AM

Given the nature of how vague Square is with stats this will definitely be the case, there has already been significant theory-crafting work done on a few - HP being one that I know for sure has been cracked already.

Could you please provide more information on this theory-crafting guide so I can find it? Or better, provide a link.

Many thanks.

#13 Gearman

Gearman

Bald Bull

• Members
  • 2125 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 12:20 PM

There has been quite a bit of theorycrafting on the core mechanics already. I've reached out to a few of the more prominent authors that I've found and asked them to continue their conversation here as well, in the hopes that it can facilitate some better discussion. In the meantime, I'm going to re-post some of the current theorycrafting work that has already done, with permission from the author.

HP Calculation: HP = Base HP + (14.5 x (VIT – 202))
Note: It appears that the difference between the highest/lowest base VIT values will result in less than 100hp difference at 50.

Damage Reduction: Damage Reduction = (0.0876 x Shield Block) + 9.7804 + (STR Tier)
Important note: It appears that Block and Parry work in tiers. I expect there to be some min-maxing for tanks here in order to hit a certain STR breakpoint. Also, blocking & parrying do appear to be mutually exclusive events, but further testing will be needed on that.

Enmity: Healing generates half as much enmity as damage.

There's much much more, but I unfortunately do not have the time to properly transpose it all. For anyone looking for more info, everything above was referenced from here: B.L.I.T.Z.B.A.L.L. | Battle Logistics, Improvement Tools, Zetetics, Basic Algorithms, and Learning Library

There are lots of great tables, and graphs and calculators over there, and the author has granted us permission to post his work here.
We know what art is, it's paintings of horses!

#14 Tap

Tap

Don Flamenco

•  Patrons
  • 295 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 02:13 PM

Assuming I have a good amount of MMO experience across other games, what kind of learning curve am I looking at with FF14:ARR if I've not played FF11 or the original FF14? Are there foreign concepts unique to the Final Fantasy universe I wouldn't find in WoW or EQ?

Be careful what you wish for. AUGH TANK TIME is always skulking in the shadows, waiting to strike.

#15 Arentios

Arentios

Wisdom as dump stat

•  Patrons
  • 6796 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 02:52 PM

Gameplay wise there's almost no learning curve if you've played other MMOs. Combat at a basic level is very similar to the WoW/EQ style.

The biggest core difference is that once you progress a little bit into the story you can freely change between classes, with each class having it's own level. Crafting and gathering professions are also their own classes. This also means that alts are largely superfluous.

#16 Fori

Fori

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 12:35 AM

Is there any recommended forum for theorycrafting? A EJ for FFXIV so to speak? The theorycrafting I've seen so far across reddit, the official forums, and a handful random minor forums has generally been either amateurish, made up by people who don't get math, inconclusive or blatantly wrong. There are so many things I'm trying to find answers to, and nobody seems to know...I mean someone in this community must know how to use MATLAB, right?

Sorry for the rant but I'm getting a bit frustrated by not being able to min-max lol

#17 MysticalOS

MysticalOS

French Hacker

• ♦ Administrators
  • 1075 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 06 September 2013 - 12:38 AM

I'm hoping that'll be here when the experts want a place that's up to the EJ standard of noise to information ratio.

#18 Adelaïda

Adelaïda

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 10:41 AM

Is there any recommended forum for theorycrafting? A EJ for FFXIV so to speak? The theorycrafting I've seen so far across reddit, the official forums, and a handful random minor forums has generally been either amateurish, made up by people who don't get math, inconclusive or blatantly wrong. There are so many things I'm trying to find answers to, and nobody seems to know...I mean someone in this community must know how to use MATLAB, right?

Sorry for the rant but I'm getting a bit frustrated by not being able to min-max lol

Order of the Blue Gartr was the "EJ" of FFXI, back in its heyday. I believe the site was "discovered" by too many players eventually, and moderation tanked when interest in XI waned. However, their XIV section may be brought back up to par: FFXIV A Realm Reborn: Advanced Theorycrafting

#19 SkepticalMystic

SkepticalMystic

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 04:11 AM

Can anyone confirm for me if Flank and Behind are completely separate positions? Does this mean that to get the most out of your abilities you need to be constantly strafing back and forth between these two positions? Seems pretty silly to me.

#20 dizmatic

dizmatic

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 02:14 AM

You are correct flank is the sides and behind is behind. Fun Stuff.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users