18 replies to this topic

#1 MysticalOS

MysticalOS

French Hacker

• ♦ Administrators
  • 778 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 19 August 2013 - 09:39 PM

Use this thread to discuss the upcoming launch of Realm Reborn.

Please remember all forum rules still apply. This thread will be moderated as usual and although moderators will ease on posts that offer some sort of discussion please refrain in posting just for the sake of posting.

#2 Arxkanite

Arxkanite

Administrator

• ♦ Administrators
  • 103 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 09:53 PM

So, I really enjoyed FFXI even though by today's standards that game isn't on the same level. It was fun, challenging, and I really enjoyed the world. FFXIV was a huge let down, and I have to admit I haven't followed along with the relaunch (Realm Reborn) very much. What makes Realm Reborn worth my time and money to play again?

#3 kasik047

kasik047

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 493 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 11:49 PM

Realm reborn is more of a completely new game then a remake of the original FFXIV, while it retains the atmosphere and story of previous FF titles it plays much more like WoW/Guild Wars 2. It uses a lot of the staple quest/dungeon behaviors that WoW is so famous for, yet has random world events like Guild Wars 2. So far from my beta experience it has a very nice balance, and may eventually have some of that hardcore grinding that FFXI involved.

until I got home and was trying to figure out why I looked like I had been kissing the Tin Man all morning.

#4 Flavahbeast

Flavahbeast

im chocula

• Moderators
  • 2,731 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 04:30 AM

So, I really enjoyed FFXI even though by today's standards that game isn't on the same level. It was fun, challenging, and I really enjoyed the world. FFXIV was a huge let down, and I have to admit I haven't followed along with the relaunch (Realm Reborn) very much. What makes Realm Reborn worth my time and money to play again?

I never played FFXI or the original FFXIV but ARR seems pretty fun and polished so far, my biggest complaint is that the low level gameplay is really simple but there are still a lot of mechanics to absorb and it seems like the complexity will ramp way up as you unlock more skills and cross-class ability slots

#5 Chyler

Chyler

Wait... I'm confussed...

• Allied Members
  • 375 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 04:31 AM

What makes Realm Reborn worth my time and money to play again?

I think that if you keep your expectations low, and don't expect the game to break any ground or blow your mind, it is worth at least a single playthrough. It is very much a Final Fantasy story-game, which I have almost always been a big fan of (X & X-2 should be set on fire and wiped from the planet) and in FFXIV they have made the story accessible in a way that FFXI only ever could if you found the right channels on YouTube. I think the class/job interactions have the potential to be interesting, or if done right (I haven't gotten that far yet) almost entertaining, but again, not groundbreaking.

It is an astoundingly beautiful world, and not punishingly, painfully difficult every time you step outside of a town (I'm looking at you Windurst devil bunnies), so you can actually spend time out in the world, without 6 other people guarding you at all times (or watching you die horrifically depending on where you are.)

The "new" parts of the game are well thought out and definitely improve on what was just about the worst gaming experience I've ever had (in 1.0). The entire game was literally rebuilt from the ground (graphics engine) up. The UI is useable and actually designed around a PC user experience this time. The hunting log and leves make for an interesting twist on the daily quest idea, and everyone loves Public Quests (although it can be argued that RIFT and GW2 implemented them better. Shame on you WAR.) They've proved, with this rebuild, that they can identify their most glaring flaws, and FIX them, which is commendable.

The 1.0 dev team put it in writing early during the 1st beta that they had not played MMOs in the past, had no intention of playing them in the future, and really didn't like the genre in general. I think that was pretty accurately represented by their game. I've never seen a game so perfectly set up to fail. A Realm Reborn was very obviously built by a team that has played MMOs in the past, and at the very least enjoyed them. This team also seems interested in exploring the idea of dungeons and raids, which is new(for them). They are all pretty simple so far (compared to some of WoW's recent dungeons/raids) but they have potential. Also the duty finder (lfd) tool makes groups of people from across all servers and actually works, which is neat.

I think the biggest draw that I've seen so far, is also one of the things most complained about on the beta forums, so I'm not sure how far into live it will last. A lot of the story missions are level capped, solo, instanced areas, and not always pleasant chats in pretty gardens. It's up to you to progress your own story and it doesn't require standing in Jeuno for 9 hours screaming for help.

I think that saying 1.0 was "a huge let down" is a MASSIVE understatement, but the progress they've made in trying to remedy that is just short of astonishing. If you already own the game, I'd certainly recommend at least trying it, if for no other reason than to see what resoundingly positive changes can happen when you summon the Great Sin and make Bahamut rain fire and death down upon your enemies.

I didn't say you were ugly, just unattractive.

Please do not fake this entry to be cute. We don't like cute.

#6 Silmeria

Silmeria

I am a nice guy

• Members
  • 9,539 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 04:45 AM

2.5 second GCD still feels really limiting and slow paced. Like most things that come out of the Japanese market, gameplay still tends to be much more focused on your character build/planning, leaving the execution fairly straight forward.

Too bad gear swapping is gone, that was a fun "feature" in FF11.

I'm also really curious to see what this game controls like on a console. The UI was really the biggest surprise to me when I loaded up the PC version. It was surprisingly robust for a PC title.

#7 kasik047

kasik047

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 493 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 07:49 AM

2.5 second GCD still feels really limiting and slow paced. Like most things that come out of the Japanese market, gameplay still tends to be much more focused on your character build/planning, leaving the execution fairly straight forward.

Too bad gear swapping is gone, that was a fun "feature" in FF11.

I'm also really curious to see what this game controls like on a console. The UI was really the biggest surprise to me when I loaded up the PC version. It was surprisingly robust for a PC title.

Did you or anyone else change the UI ingame without any mods? I was shocked that the stock game allowed the user to move around and create new bars without any addons and I loved it, I changed around the UI a bit to make it easier to heal the first few dungeons (although it was just spamming cure).

until I got home and was trying to figure out why I looked like I had been kissing the Tin Man all morning.

#8 Starfire

Starfire

Blackfire too!

• Members
  • 3,120 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 08:54 AM

I have a feeling for anyone who wants to do "cutting edge" raiding in this game the most in-demand class is going to be Bard. Unfortunately for all Legolas wannabes, Bards are support/dps.

Everyone should start from the same place and rise based on their abilities, desires, and schedule. No one plays MMOs to *be* powerful, they play MMOs to *become* powerful. It's the journey, stupid. The rarer loot is, the more cherished it is when you get it, but only so long as there is a reasonable expectation to get it. The rarer loot is, the better it feels when you kill a boss or when $AWESOME_TRINKET drops.

#9 Regen

Regen

King Hippo

• Members
  • 605 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 12:47 PM

2.5 Global ties in nicely with TP use/generation, however it can still be pretty annoying as a melee class - especially before getting skills off the GCD.

One thing to keep in mind about this game is all melee skills pretty much have a windup animation - not actually triggering damage until the end of it, making it slightly more bearable but also preventing you from casting an off-GCD cooldown until the animation is complete.

#10 Asmik

Asmik

Mr. Sandman

• Members
  • 6,781 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 03:07 PM

At least you can lower the GCD with gear/materia / some abilities.

#11 anafielle

anafielle

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 07:32 PM

Someone else might have more experience than I on this but I'll chime in-- I downloaded the PS3 beta while the keys for beta 4 were unavailable and played around with it for an evening. I came into it as a PC gamer massively skeptical of any MMO on a controller and I was shocked; it feels surprisingly smooth and natural.

You have quick access to a surprisingly large number of abilities by holding down a trigger key, which lights up 8 actions on a hotbar triggered by XO Triangle Square, and the arrow keypad. So, your L and R triggers provide access to 16 abilities very quickly and smoothly, and you scroll through another set of hotkeys with the other trigger. So that is 32 abilities which to my surprise I could have accessed with a little experience quite naturally in combat, certainly within the 2.5 second GCD without any issue at all. Scrolling through enemies (or party members) is also very natural, and moving around or targetting in combat didn't seem to present me with any uncomfortable challenges.

It all sounds pretty weird but with the controller in your hand it feels.... kinda cool actually. Of course, who knows if you could heal easily on a console or move precisely in a group, I sincerely doubt playing on a PS3 would cut it for that. However, for leveling and questing and experiencing the majority of the game I have a feeling it will be a very pleasant basic experience. Really, the challenges of playing with a controller come up when you are struggling to navigate your screen or locate something specific. The menu system is the typical PS3 crossbar and pretty easily navigated, but selecting something specific is... it's not horribly difficult, but it's not exactly playing with a mouse. I am just that person who can't survive without a mouse to click on whatever I want.

But, aside from obvious limitations, it definitely struck me as something they took very great care to make acceptable as a console experience. I caught myself thinking, from my experience in wow, "I could never play like this normally but... it sure would be nice to sit on the couch with a controller in hand to do my dailies or something..." What a really weird thought!

Anyways, on topic for this thread: Yes, I'll be playing this game.

A ton of my friends are - a bunch of wow players I know are going to Behemoth to level together and maybe check out the raids at endgame with some like minded people. Lots of us are suckers enough for the FF look that we will play even this game with the horrid reputation of the first release.

My decision was pretty superficial, but easy. This game is beautiful. It is really really really beautiful with that awesome Final Fantasy JRPG type character design which I and so many other people love. I am unashamed to admit that this powered my entire decision, I basically bought it based on screenshots my friends fired off at me. The price tag was low enough (it was 25% off at GMG for a long time) that I just splurged and said, for $22.50, this is so worth a shot. I would pretty much be satisfied just to stare at it for 30 days and then discard it if it sucks. The hardest decision is which class to level because I want to wear all the nice outfits, except that isn't even a decision you have to make upon character creation because you can and should level many classes! Problem solved.

Anyways, I've set my expectations pretty low. I consider this a 30 day game, maybe an extra month or two. If it holds up to play beyond that -- which I certainly hope it does because I have heard excellent things and enjoyed playing with the beta -- I will consider that a bonus. I'm pretty much incredibly excited for this to launch though.

Sacred Duty :: Final Boss TV :: @Anafielle
<Something Wicked> - 8/14 HM 25m - W/Th/Sun 8-12 CST LF dps - www.somethingwickedguild.com

#12 Starfire

Starfire

Blackfire too!

• Members
  • 3,120 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 11:41 PM

This game is weird to me. I wasn't particularly hyped, especially knowing the failure of 1.0. But I was looking for an MMO to play during ... ahem some "downtime" ... and after checking out the beta weekends, I just found the game really fun.

The game really does quite a bit of a throwback. It's honestly not trying to be innovative at all, it's just bringing some old school-style MMO action with beautiful graphics.

To me it feels a lot like Burning Crusade mixed with Guild Wars 2. Classes are pretty well defined: there are 2 tanks (1 more mitigation, the other more hp/healing), 1 main healer, 1 support healer, 1 dps support and a few flavors of dps.

Crafting is pretty much unlike anything in any other MMO I've played. And should be expected, crafting and gathering here are their own "classes" in full with 50 levels and all. The best part though, it genuinely feels like crafting can show off "skill" and "differentiation" (even though everything is really mathematical and to the dedicated there will be guides, but I doubt the average player will really follow them or have time for them).

It's weird, I picked up gathering and found the direct grindy early levels to be painful, but after a while getting different gathering abilities turned out to be pretty cool. It forced me to put some thought into my resource-management in gathering -- while still simply/easy, it wasn't fully mindless like WoW herbalism or mining either. Plus it feels like while the system is still going to be vulnerable to cheap Chinese farmer, it feels pretty bot resistant.

Everyone should start from the same place and rise based on their abilities, desires, and schedule. No one plays MMOs to *be* powerful, they play MMOs to *become* powerful. It's the journey, stupid. The rarer loot is, the more cherished it is when you get it, but only so long as there is a reasonable expectation to get it. The rarer loot is, the better it feels when you kill a boss or when $AWESOME_TRINKET drops.

#13 Spleener

Spleener

King Hippo

• Members
  • 583 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 03:39 PM

I'm one of those weirdos who actually prefers playing on a couch with a controller to a desk with keyboard/mouse. I spent most of phase 4 weekend playing the PC version off my TV like that, keeping a wireless keyboard/mouse handy for chat and occasionally clicking UI elements that can be a pain to get to via controller input.

It works pretty well once you get used to the quirks of the targeting system, since you're basically stuck with tab-targeting unless you want to grab the mouse for a second. You can get pretty fancy with how it goes about said tab-targeting, though, looking at some of the advanced options.

How viable it would be for serious business bleeding-edge raiding would probably depend on class/role/encounter design, but for anything else it works fine, I'd say.
Big Crits, the show about wiping, killing bosses, and teabagging.

#14 Ochiba

Ochiba

Oatmeal Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 05:38 AM

There's a really good overview of the game here, if you're not familiar with it.
FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn |OT| Naoki Yoshida uses a Phoenix Down. - NeoGAF

#15 MysticalOS

MysticalOS

French Hacker

• ♦ Administrators
  • 778 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 25 August 2013 - 03:04 AM

Character creation limit now being imposed.

[NA] Character Creation Limitation (Aug. 24)

#16 Ochiba

Ochiba

Oatmeal Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 04:04 AM

Wow, and the game isn't even officially released yet. That's crazy demand.

#17 anafielle

anafielle

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 07:44 PM

So says everyone. Although if you just try about 100 times eventually you might get into the queue - I saw it work for Elvine and a couple others on twitter, who told me to keep trying, and then tried it myself for about 10 minutes and just managed to get myself on the list. (Behemoth) What a very dumb system. I have never been in queue for more than 60 seconds - they should just put people on a longer queue instead of refusing the connection. (/backseat dev, sigh)

A bit frustrating. I have been recommending this game - sort of - to friends, since once I'm inside I am really enjoying it as I mentioned previously. It's rather frustrating though that I can't seem to play it at all, and that my friends can't really join us on Behemoth. I suppose that is simply par for the course for an MMO launch though. Still not so much fun.

But I wanted to not complain in this thread and instead talk about the things I was excited about. Oh well.

Anyways, this official twitter feed popped up and at least it seems to be a good (?) source of updates with regard to their technical issues: https://twitter.com/FF_XIV_EN Recommended for a follow; it's easier for me to see the announcements of new posts rather than checking the forum where that feed is linking everything.

Sacred Duty :: Final Boss TV :: @Anafielle
<Something Wicked> - 8/14 HM 25m - W/Th/Sun 8-12 CST LF dps - www.somethingwickedguild.com

#18 Starfire

Starfire

Blackfire too!

• Members
  • 3,120 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 07:37 PM

EU servers are located in Montreal anyways -- so same place as US servers.

JP servers have really good connections, but apparently since official release JP servers have been getting hammered too. There are a few English-speaking JP servers though, but those are probably the larger ones (Tonberry comes to mind) -- these are primarily where English-speaking Oceanics ended up at.

They do have a queue system but it's very small, I've never seen it go past 600 for example. But yes, really wish their queue system would go to 20k+ or something.

#19 Jessamy

Jessamy

Struck by Diax's Rake

• Moderators
  • 4,801 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 02:26 AM

I removed half of the posts in this thread because they were discussing
  • what race you think is prettiest, and why, or
  • difficulties logging onto servers, and feelings about same.
A thread for either of these topics, designated as a quarantine zone for less-serious discussion, might be acceptable. Maybe.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users