28 replies to this topic

#1 MagdalenaDK

MagdalenaDK

Celestial Pony

• • Guide Author
  • 90 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 03:46 AM

Introduction
Welcome to the Siege of Orgrimmar edition of the Death Knight CD usage spreadsheet. This spreadsheet aims to make information pertaining to Tier 16 bosses and relevant to DK players of all specs more accessible. Whether it's personal CD usage, raid cooldown viability or even encounter-specific tips and tricks, I hope the community will find this information useful.
This spreadsheet is a work in progress. Additional contributions and corrections are welcome.

Spreadsheet

EncounterCan Dark Simulacrum be used?Ability that can be Dark SimmedIs it worth using the Dark Sim glyph?Best times to use Anti-Magic ShellBest times to use Icebound FortitudeIs it worth using Glyph of Icebound Fortitude?Will Anti-Magic Zone be useful for this fight?Best times to use Anti-Magic ZoneLevel 90 talent usage
ImmerseusNoNot ApplicableNoSoaking Sha Pools, AMS can be used to go through Swirl without taking damage (also means no RP)In case you fail a Swirl or have to step through poolsNoYesOnce the blobs hit the boss you can throw it on your group to reduce damageGorefiend's Grasp if there are 3+ adds nearby
Fallen ProtectorsNoNoNoAMS and/or AMZ during Sun's Desperate Measures and the Embodied Sorrow's Inferno StrikeIf you fail at Gouge (IBF breaks the stun); Desecrated Ground doesn't workIf you fail the gouges a lot (you shouldn't, so that means No)YesInferno StrikeGorefiend's Grasp works well to drag in Sha adds during Dark Meditation
NorushenYesBlood DKs can copy the Hurl Corruption ability, cast by the Titanic Corruption add during the Test of Confidence; be aware that it deals high shadow damage to the playerNoFrayed casts below 50% boss health, Burst of Anger fail in serenity testIf you fail at the cutter beam, a combination of this and AMS will save your lifeNoYesWhen there's a lot of Manifestations of Corruptions out; also use AMZ to mitigate Icy Fear as the Amalgam reaches lower health levels 
Sha of PrideNoNot ApplicableNoSwelling Pride, Mark of ArroganceSwelling PrideYesYesSwelling prideGorefiend's Grasp can help to clump up adds spawned by Self-Reflection
GalakrasNoNot ApplicableNoPhase 1: Tidal Wave from Shaman, Phase 2: When Flames of Gakakrond goes out Possibly for mitigating Flames of GalakrondUp to the playerWhen Flames of Galakrond goes outGorefiend's Grasp is useful for clumping up adds within Blizzard
Iron JuggernautNoNot ApplicableNoAt the start of Siege Mode, Seismic Activity deals Nature damage; Shock Pulse also deals large amounts of Nature damage in addition to the knockback For mine soaking, YesNoIf talented, try to hit as many people as possible during Seismic Activity 
Kor'kron Dark ShamanYesKardis' Froststorm Bolt, which scales with the Frost DK MasteryYesPoison Mists, Green slimes when close, Foul Stream if you're the targetFoul Geyser on youPotentiallyYesAMZ for when Falling Ash meteor hits raidGorefiend's Grasp can be used to gather Foul Slime adds, but keep in mind that it is extremely dangerous to ever be within their melee range due to Foulness
NazgrimYesArcweavers' Arcane Shock (may not be worth it due to increased raid damage if not interrupted)NoIf you see yourself targeted by an Arcane Shock that won't be interrupted, or if you fail to avoid the fire trails left behind by Heroic ShockwaveIf there are Ravagers flying around or an add starts whirlwinding close to you, also when the boss casts War SongPossibly to mitigate Warsong more frequentlyNoNot ApplicableRemorseless Winter is useful for stunning adds, particularly on Heroic where a Death Knight can be very useful for interrupting Magistrike, cast by Arcweavers; Gorefiend's Grasp can also be used to improve add positioning if needed.
MalkorokNoNot ApplicableNoAMS can be used off cooldown when Ancient Miasma is active, due to the ticking shadow damage it deals; AMS can also be saved for Imploding Energy soaking, as well as Essence of Y'Shaarj soaking on HeroicBlood Rage phase, or when soaking Imploding EnergyIf you're soaking Imploding Energy frequentlyPossiblyAnother option when soaking Imploding EnergyGorefiend's Grasp can be useful for gathering up Living Corruption adds that spawn from Malkorork's Seismic Slam ability on Heroic difficulty
Spoils of PandariaYesRage of the Empress, cast by Set'thik Wind Wielders from the Mantid Crates can be copied and applied to all nearby allies, though it is reduced to a 5% rather than 50% buff; Residue cast by Zar'thik Amber Priests is a powerful group HoT that can also be copiedYesEvery Mogu-side miniboss has an unavoidable AoE magical attack, such as Zu Yin's Molten Fist; also use it to soak damage from Gusting Bomb, Pheromone Cloud and Encapsulated Pheromones on Mantid SideIcebound Fortitude can essentially be used off cooldown given the constant, pulsing AoE damage that is present during this encounterUp to the playerPossiblyWhen one of the AoE-Boss mobs are activeGorefiend's Grasp can be used to clump up newly released/spread out mobs
Thok the BloodthirstyNoNot ApplicableNoOff CD, but be aware that his Shock Collar won't always hit you; Corrosive Blood (Poison debuff from green add) is also worth soakingDefeaning RoarsNoYesYou can throw it on your groups stack point to reduce fire/poison/frost damage takenGorefiend's Grasp can be used on Captive Cave Bats, which are adds that the raid must deal with on Heroic difficulty
Siegecrafter BlackfuseNoNot ApplicableNoStanding in fire nearbyDuring Magnetic CrushNoNot unless you're blowing up Crawler Mines Gorefiend's Grasp can be used to clump up and reposition Crawler Mine adds, assuming you aren't on Conveyer Belt duty at the time
Paragons of the KlaxxiNoNot ApplicableNoCatalyst explosions, standing in amber pools for extra RPIf you are helping to soak AimYes if you are aiding in Aim soakingYes, but it's hard to use on this fight with heavy movement Desecrated Ground can break the stun caused by Whirling
Garrosh HellscreamYesFarseer Wolf Chain Lighting AND mind controlled allies: Tranquility, Divine Hymn, Dark Soul: Instability, Shadow Priest T90 talents, Moonkin Starfall, Summon Doomguard/Infernal, Power Word: BarrierOnly if you don't use the Iron StarIron Star explosions and Whirling CorruptionGlyphed IBF on CDYesYes, for whirlwinds if you have melee stand in itWhen Garrosh casts Whirling Corruption 

Special Thanks

This spreadsheet would not have been possible without the assistance of the entire community. Thanks to:
  • Jessamy for his help formatting the spreadsheet and bringing it over to EJ.
  • Mendenbarr for additional formatting help and running sims for me when I tell him to. He also made me a cute little banner suggestion: http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/872/vhvy.png
  • Tyvi for providing thumbnail artwork.
  • Ketsuki for passing on the amazing artwork you see here, and Elypop for making the artwork.
  • Nangz for the awesome banner.
  • All of #Acherus for their invaluable contributions and testing. Keep it up guys!

To be done
  • Fill up more sections/confirm existing sections
  • More formatting work

Change Log

Change Log

September 21, 2013:
[3:48] Thread created.
[9:20] Whee, let's delete everything!
[10:40] Here it is, it was here all along. I don't know what you're talking about.

September 24th, 2013:
[18:09] Clarified and expanded upon AMZ uses for Norushen.
[21:18] New abilities added to Spoils of Pandaria. Also adding in Wowhead links for multiple spells/abilities.

September 25th, 2013:
[16:49] Added more abilities to the Spoils of Pandaria and Malkorok sections, as well as more formatting work.

September 27th, 2013:
[10:32] New abilities added, and more formatting. Please do keep contributing; it is immensely helpful to the community.

September 28th, 2013:
[20:47] More Level 90 talent uses added for various bosses.

October 6th, 2013:
[8:20] More information added to Spoils of Pandaria and Paragons of the Klaxxi section.

October 7th, 2013:
[15:48] New uses for Gorefiend's Grasp added.
[23:54] More AMS and IBF uses added.

October 10th, 2013:
[19:24] Corrected an error on Malkorok, where I was mistakenly referring to Imploding Energy as Displaced Energy.

October 12th, 2013:
[08:46] Fleshed out the Spoils of Pandaria section.

Click here to view the guide
  • krekot likes this

#2 xtrl90

xtrl90

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 07:25 PM

For the Norshen fight on the usage of AMZ, shouldn't that read: "When there are a lot of MANIFESTATIONS of corruption"?

being that the Manifestations are the large adds and the Amalgam is the boss.

EDIT: did you mean the best time to use it is when the Amalgam's life is lower and Icy fear is doing more damage? or When there are more Manifestations and raid damage from Burst of Anger?

#3 MagdalenaDK

MagdalenaDK

Celestial Pony

• • Guide Author
  • 90 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 10:05 PM

Thanks for pointing that out. That should actually have been 2 separate points, I'll make sure to differentiate between them: It's useful for when there's multiple Manifestations (shouldn't have called them Amalgams, sorry for the confusion) and when Icy Fear is doing more damage.

#4 Sanctimony

Sanctimony

Piston Honda

• Guild Members
  • 214 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 10:50 PM

Dark Simulacrum is usable on some of the mobs in Spoils of Pandaria. Not sure if it's worthwhile though: best I've gotten was a short-lived 5% damage buff from one of the mantid.

#5 MagdalenaDK

MagdalenaDK

Celestial Pony

• • Guide Author
  • 90 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 01:25 AM

Thanks for the contributions so far. I'm currently in the process of attempting to format the spreadsheet further and include links for various spells and abilities that are mentioned here. Please report any broken links or minor errors (such as spelling) in PMs.

#6 Nangz

Nangz

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 01:34 AM

AMS Usage on Spoils should be during the large crate add's aoe on the mogu side.

Mantid side i'm not super familiar with.

#7 Tehillim

Tehillim

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 06:52 AM

General Nazgrim: Remorseless Winter is good for using on the adds, also really good for heroic where you can stick a dk on arcweavers for interrupts on magistrike. Also, I'm pretty sure mc'd targets on Garrosh don't cast any spells other than Touch of Y'Shaarj (an MC), meaning you can't dark sim them.

#8 MagdalenaDK

MagdalenaDK

Celestial Pony

• • Guide Author
  • 90 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 07:10 AM

Also, I'm pretty sure mc'd targets on Garrosh don't cast any spells other than Touch of Y'Shaarj (an MC), meaning you can't dark sim them.

You're misunderstanding how Dark Simulacrum works in this situation. The Death Knight applies Dark Simulacrum to a hostile target (i.e. the enemy player), and the debuff persists even after they've been broken out of the MC (you're correct in that that Touch of Y'Shaarj can't be copied, thus it won't consume DSim). Once the player is back in control, the next spell they cast is copied by Dark Simulacrum, assuming the debuff didn't fade before the player cast their spell.

Of course, this means having to either hope that they will cast a spell useful to you or pre-arranging their use of desirable cooldowns as soon as they break the MC. With that being said, that doesn't change the list of what is possible,

#9 Tegu

Tegu

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 10:50 AM

Dark Simulacrum is usable on some of the mobs in Spoils of Pandaria. Not sure if it's worthwhile though: best I've gotten was a short-lived 5% damage buff from one of the mantid.

It's definitely worth doing because the whole group get's the buff for 10 sec, with glyph you can have that buff 4,5 times depending on how youre doing the mantid room.

#10 Raegwyn

Raegwyn

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 08:36 PM

nazgrim + spoils+ malkorok have very good use for gorefiends
remorseless is helpful on thok hc for stunning bats
also siegecrafter hc with mine aoeing tactic gorefiends is a must
please add that

#11 MagdalenaDK

MagdalenaDK

Celestial Pony

• • Guide Author
  • 90 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 06:25 PM

Added everything except Malkorok- could you specify the name of the add Gorefiend's Grasp is useful on here? I looked through Wowhead filters but couldn't locate it.

Edit: Nevermind, found them. Added.

#12 MagdalenaDK

MagdalenaDK

Celestial Pony

• • Guide Author
  • 90 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 11:31 PM

I'm issuing a call for more data on Siegecrafter and Spoils- my Dark Simulacrum tests on Spoils last week were fairly inconclusive, and Siegecrafter experience mainly comprises of Conveyer belt action where mitigation is pointless if you mess up with the beams.
In addition, with the progression race largely being over, I would greatly appreciate input from raiders about Heroic only mechanics for the last 4 bosses of the instance.

#13 Saathe

Saathe

Overanalyzer

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 05:50 PM

After throwing DSim up on random targets during Spoils last night I found that you can steal Residue - Spell - World of Warcraft from Zar'thik Amber Priest - NPC - World of Warcraft

It provides a nice blanket heal in case your healer is dealing with bombs or some other horrible thing that seems to affect range more than melee.

#14 acidskeets

acidskeets

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 05:00 PM

Remorseless Winter does not work on bats for Thok.

#15 MagdalenaDK

MagdalenaDK

Celestial Pony

• • Guide Author
  • 90 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 11:03 PM

Corrected. Has anyone tried using Gorefiend's Grasp on them? My current progression prevents me from being able to personally test beyond Heroic Malkorok right now, which is why I'd greatly appreciate insights on Siegecrafter, Paragons and Garrosh.

#16 skiarr

skiarr

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 08:27 AM

I'll try it out today if we reach that phase (and if I'll be on the roster for Thok).

It worked on the trash bats right before Thok, so I assume it should work on the encounter bats aswell.

#17 acidskeets

acidskeets

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 05:12 PM

I'll try it out today if we reach that phase (and if I'll be on the roster for Thok).

It worked on the trash bats right before Thok, so I assume it should work on the encounter bats aswell.

http://i.imgur.com/x4TOMvR.jpg for proof. I'm assuming this is a bug, since other classes can stun. I've reported it. Gorefiends does work on bats however.

Corrected. Has anyone tried using Gorefiend's Grasp on them? My current progression prevents me from being able to personally test beyond Heroic Malkorok right now, which is why I'd greatly appreciate insights on Siegecrafter, Paragons and Garrosh.

We're working on siegecrafter right now. Gorefiends Grasp is amazing for crawler mines, if you aren't on the conveyor belt. No point in picking up remorseless, since you will be fixated by at least one everytime.

#18 MagdalenaDK

MagdalenaDK

Celestial Pony

• • Guide Author
  • 90 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 07:48 PM

Added.
Some of the IBF and AMS sections could probably also use fleshing out. Based on my own raid experience thus far, I'm going to add to them later today. More input would, of course, be welcome.

#19 acidskeets

acidskeets

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 10:41 PM

For Malkorok, Glyph of IBF, AMS and AMZ are all great ways to reduce damage when soaking Imploding Energy. By glyphing IBF and choosing AMZ, we will have a cd available for at least 4 of the 6 imploding energy soaks before blood rage phase.

For Iron Juggernaut on Heroic 10, we found AMZ to be a good first cd for shock pulse. Raid stacked in healing rain/efflo under amz allowing healers to save cds for later shock pulses. Make sure you drop it at the very end of his cast.

Gorefiends was nice for grouping bloods on Dark Shamans.

#20 MagdalenaDK

MagdalenaDK

Celestial Pony

• • Guide Author
  • 90 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 07:53 AM

I'll include sections of the IBF glyph and AMZ for Malkorok, though I'd caution 25 man raiders from taking the same route. This is because, given a larger roster for 25s, it is likely that more adept melee such as Rogues can fully handle puddle soaking and thus it is is better to focus on personal survivability and DPS.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users