Photo

Dec. 18th @ 4pm EST - Exclusive Q&A With Zenimax Studios PvP Developer Brian Wheeler.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
156 replies to this topic

#1 Arxkanite

Arxkanite

Administrator

• ♦ Administrators
  • 138 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 10:06 PM

On Wednesday, December 18th between 4pm and 6pm (EST), ElitistJerks will be hosting an exclusive Q&A session with Lead PvP Designer for the upcoming MMO, The Elder Scrolls Online.

Featuring three-sided Player vs. Player (PvP) gameplay, The Elder Scrolls Online supports hundreds of players on screen at once in an open world fight for control of Cyrodiil. Seize, hold, and control the resources of massive strongholds. Utilize massive siege weapons to crumble fortress walls and smash through fortified gates. Conquer the Imperial City, and your alliance’s top player could even be crowned Emperor!

Get ready for the most intense online PvP experience ever created, with The Elder Scrolls Online.

Update: This forum is now locked for new questions. Brian has stated that he wishes to answer some unanswered questions as he has time.

If you would like to continue discussing Elder Scrolls Online, please do so here:http://forums.elitis...scrolls-online/

Thank you very much for your time Brian. And thank you Zenimax for loaning him to us today. Good luck, and I can't wait for ESO to come out!

Answer Index:

New Questions and Answers (12/23):

• Arxkanite, MysticalOS, Last_God and 4 others like this

#2 Arxkanite

Arxkanite

Administrator

• ♦ Administrators
  • 138 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 08:56 PM

Welcome to Elitist Jerks Brian,

We're very glad to have you here and are very excited about ESO. 

I guess I'll start things off with a question. I haven't had a chance to experience any PvP during beta, but I'm in love with the combat system of the game. How much of the pvp combat is going to be based on skill? Timing dodges, blocks, attacks, skills and power attacks against other real people seems very exciting and engaging.

#3 throneofgames

throneofgames

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 1 posts

Hi Brian.

I am curious about what the discussions have been regarding collision detection. Some have said it could add another level of strategy to PvP. What in particular were the reasons it was not done? And could it still be considered for PvE content (NPCs/enemies)?

Thank you.

Edited by throneofgames, 18 December 2013 - 08:56 PM.

#4 Soulece

Soulece

Von Kaiser

• Moderators
  • 57 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Hey Brian. I've been a hardcore fan of TES series and it's lore for 15 years now and at first ESO worried me but after seeing the info you have released about the game, I'm very excited for the game.

This question is more in connection to Cyrodiil, the pvp zone, instead of PvP itself. In the guide to Tamriel, Cyrodiil used to have jungles. Then when Oblivion came out, the jungle was absent and that was explained by Talos changing the climate. However, ESO is set before the birth of Tiber Septim. Will Cyrodiil have jungles?

Edited by Soulece, 18 December 2013 - 09:17 PM.

#5 Mouse Soldier

Mouse Soldier

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 5 posts

Player interaction is very important in any MMO.  With this in mind, will the players on opposing teams be able to communicate with one another?  The WoW method (for example) of limiting communication between teams makes their PvP system feel shallow and artificial.

#6 Visur

Visur

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 1 posts

Hi Brian, thanks for this Q&A.

- Will it be possible for a small and optimized team (6-8 people) to win against a big zerg in a situation of roaming (not in a castle / bridge)?
- Will it be possible to display a guild emblem on a cloak in RvR?
- Will you invite full guild (PvP oriented) to test the RvR?

• Wik likes this

#7 Dragonrooster

Dragonrooster

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 1 posts

Hey there! Judging from the officiel gameplay videos the horses/mounts seem to work like the standard mmo mount, which is pretty immersive breaking for a roleplayer like me. Is the horses/mounts going to act "heavy" when you steer it like they did in skyrim?

#8 tauron525

tauron525

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 1 posts

I have a couple of very important questions:

-Are you planing on doing something about the low framerate issue,
that we saw in the pvp trailer?

-This question is about the click-able areas on the interactive map.
will they be the only areas that is accesable at launch? I can see that only ''the rift''
and ''Eastmarch'' are click-able in skyrim, and there are a lot of area that isn't 
click-able in general, on tamriel. (pleeeease answer)

Edited by MysticalOS, 18 December 2013 - 09:59 PM.

#9 Kilivin

Kilivin

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 08:57 PM

Hey Brian!

I'm a writer over at www.tesof.com, and we have a big AvA player-base there. I have a question which has concerned me for the past couple of weeks. If the cap system does not feature any sort of "cap per X# of players" where one side cannot have more than X# of players more than any other side, what is stopping one side always having more numbers over the other two alliances in the any of the campaigns? Care to share on any capping systems that might solve this? Thank you!  :)

Edited by Kilivin, 18 December 2013 - 09:03 PM.

#10 Chawana

Chawana

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 3 posts

HEYLO

Will PvP ranks be apparent on the battlefield? For example, will it be visually clear which characters have more PvP experience, whether it be a symbol by their name, or title?

To put my question into WoW terms, will the PvP ranking system be *visually* similar to that of back in vanilla? Not the grinding aspect necessarily, but simply the act of opening the PvP tab, and seeing a rank symbol by each players name, or hovering over them and seeing "Lieutenant Commander", etc...

I always enjoyed seeing the experience of those around me.

#11 Gabric

Gabric

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 1 posts

Hello! This question probably has been answered, but will there be a way to change ownership of a guild?

#12 E'Teren

E'Teren

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 2 posts

Hello EJ and Mr. Wheeler :)

I have a few questions:

1. IS there a system in place to prevent trading the Emperor status to give friends/guild the emperor skill tree? For example if I am emperor and I willingly let my rank fall to second or third, then as a guild we sit out of defending one of the key keeps. Once it falls we then retake it Crowning a new Emperor from our faction, my friend. Who then in turn lets a third mate pass into first position.

2. The scrolls play a large part in the PvP and they will be a target. Is it possible to sneak/stealth a small group to the scrolls? Is it possible to step inside one of the small PvE caves/dungeons mentioned with a scroll? As a way to temporarily "hide" or bottleneck the forces chasing you or does entering one of these locations reset the scroll?

3. Will the Emperor or PvP skill trees be usable and effective in PvE content?

4. Group activities like taking or defending a keep will land you on the leader board. Is there any reason or benefit from 1 on 1 or group v group PvP fights? Zergs are generally favored and quite common in similar PvP experiences, is the zerg favored in ESO? Hierarchy seems to follow Massive Zerg> Organized guild> Average Zerg > unorganized guilds > Organized small group > group or solo. Will this be the case in Cyrodiil?

5. How will balance be achieved with so many different options to build your character? Combat relies largely on player skill and that is great but balance is still needed. One on One is it just a matter of who has the larger resource pool? Is it possible to out heal dps with a pure heal build? If so doesn't this discourage pure dps builds and if not wouldn't pure heal builds be unlikely? How is balance achieved between a tanking Sorc and a spell slinging Temp versus a tanking Temp and Spell slinging Sorc?

Edited by E'Teren, 18 December 2013 - 08:59 PM.

#13 Argalin

Argalin

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 3 posts

Hi guys, I have one question:

I read there are Campaign with different ruleset. Can you give us some examples of different ruleset? Will we see many different ruleset at the same time or only one at time? Can we set only one campaign as our home campaign or one for each active rulest? I'm an hardcore pvp player so I hope you create at least one campaign with major penalties to death like partial loot or money drop at death. Are you thinking about something like this?Any hopes?

#14 Jeremy Badessa

Jeremy Badessa

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 2 posts

Hi Brian, thank you SO MUCH for doing this interview!! I LOVE how involved Zenimax Online is keeping the community.

How does stealth work in PvP? Are you completely invisible or just blurry / hard-to-see to enemies if you're "Hidden"? How can enemies "spot" you?

#15 Llogwey34

Llogwey34

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 2 posts

Hello there!

About keeps in Cyrodiil, it has been said that guilds can claim ownsership for a keep among those owned by their alliance. How do you claim ownership? and can a guild own several keeps/dependancies or only one?

#16 rophez

rophez

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 1 posts

Are your plans for the central, Imperial city to be a contested PVE zone similar to Darkness Falls in DAOC?

#17 UtileDulci

UtileDulci

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 08:58 PM

Hey Brian, I have a quick yes or no question for You.

Are attained passive abilities going to be working at all times, or will they have to be "equipped" withing a cap - as in D3 - in order to work?

#18 Soulece

Soulece

Von Kaiser

• Moderators
  • 57 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 18 December 2013 - 08:59 PM

Will players be able to be effective in PvP in their preferred skill line build or will one have to switch from a one handed sword with no offhand weapon and casts spells to someone with a one handed sword and a shield?

What I'm meaning is, can I use my preferred skill set and armor/weapon in PvP or will I have to use a certain armor set specifically made for PvP (like WoW) and specific PvP skill lines?

Edited by Soulece, 18 December 2013 - 09:10 PM.

#19 Mouse Soldier

Mouse Soldier

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 5 posts

Anyone that played DAoC will surely remember that the Mordred server was better than all of the other servers, because it allowed a PvP experience that wasn't limited by artificial means such as hardcoded teams or strictly PvE realms (where PvP is impossible).  Is such a thing even possible in ESO?  If so, how likely is this to actually happen?  Would the game release with this superior option or would players have to wait?

#20 Psivoyant

Psivoyant

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 1 posts

Hi Brian,

I've had experience playing Guild Wars 2. They had massive pvp wars. This issue that some of my friends were having, is they felt like they couldn't tell if they were contributing to kills. So many people attacking at once they couldn't feel like they were standing out. Will ESO be the same?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users