Photo

Dec. 18th @ 4pm EST - Exclusive Q&A With Zenimax Studios PvP Developer Brian Wheeler.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
156 replies to this topic

#41 sephious

sephious

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 09:12 PM

Will there be a cap on the amount of people passing through an AOE that can get hit?

I find this often causes unrealistic tactics, like having everyone stack within the same 5 ft square to limit damage and also messes up any capability for lesser yet tactically smarter groups to beat the brainless ZERG. We already know that there will be no collision detection in game, can we please have that good DAoC style PVP back....the one where tactics prevailed over the ZERG train?

• Wik likes this

#42 sid

sid

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 6 posts

Thanks for doing this.

1.Is there an AOE target limit? If not..do you think your servers can handle it come RvR?

2.Will a small group be punished in anyway for AOEing larger numbers -other than the fact that those numbers can hit back-?

3.How many times can a stealth class -in optimal conditions to stealth- stealth during combat?

4.Does damage reveal stealthed targets? I know about the spells but wondering about the damage.

5.There isn't a horrible "downed state" system like a certain terrible pvp game, is there? Aside from being revived from death via spells from caster oriented players..are there other ways?

6.Siege was very dominant and ruined pvp for a lot of players in a certain game's "RvR". Are you planing on doing this for ESO?

We all know the carebears and gw2 fan boys will flock to WildTrash so please don't overly cater to that clientele..

• Visur likes this

#43 otter480

otter480

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 1 posts

Welcome to Elitist Jerks Brian,

We're very glad to have you here and are very excited about ESO. 

I guess I'll start things off with a question. I haven't had a chance to experience any PvP during beta, but I'm in love with the combat system of the game. How much of the pvp combat is going to be based on skill? Timing dodges, blocks, attacks, skills and power attacks against other real people seems very exciting and engaging.

---

You mentioned you played beta which is a breach of the NDA rule.

Take his acces!!! :P

#44 smirrekettu

smirrekettu

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 09:13 PM

Hey Brian, thanks so much for doing this.

Do the dodge/evasion moves have somekind of "you're immune to all damage after using the skill for a certain amount of time" ?

#45 bmanmilsap

bmanmilsap

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 09:13 PM

Hi hows it going? So in PvP weill we have to craft seperate gear for PvP, and will their be PvP only skills?

#46 Delirium

Delirium

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 09:15 PM

Hi Brian,

I may not be the most educated person on the elder scrolls online.. considering I've only watched half a dozen hours of podcasts regarding the game and its content. I have 2 questions for you.

First - Will players of the same faction within Cyrodil be able to converse with one another on a grand scale? as in will entire armies be able to coordinate with one another on the battlefield to counter-act their foes? Or will this coordination be strictly within whispers and/or within allied keeps?

Second - Do you personally believe their will be enough diversity within character and class creation to make a warzone that you never truly know what to expect next? In my eyes most pvp oriented games end up being a cookie cutter design that I personally wish not to associate ESO with. Thanks for your time.

#47 ZOS_Wheeler

ZOS_Wheeler

Von Kaiser

• Zenimax
  • 32 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 09:16 PM

Welcome to Elitist Jerks Brian,

We're very glad to have you here and are very excited about ESO. 

I guess I'll start things off with a question. I haven't had a chance to experience any PvP during beta, but I'm in love with the combat system of the game. How much of the pvp combat is going to be based on skill? Timing dodges, blocks, attacks, skills and power attacks against other real people seems very exciting and engaging.

Skill is a tricky thing to measure as when most people talk about skill in Elder Scrolls it's referring to headshots with a bow, blocking, power attacks or dodging at the right time.  In Elder Scrolls Online we have many opportunities for players to show their skill as we also have blocking, roll dodging, and sneaking up on enemy players without getting detected.  There are opportunities to block power attacks which knock your enemy off balance, opening them up for a power attack of your own!  That being said we do have to account for network latency so while it's not pinpoint, there is some wiggle room for dodging that we've found to work quite nice in our Cyrodiil battles!

#48 ZOS_Wheeler

ZOS_Wheeler

Von Kaiser

• Zenimax
  • 32 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 09:19 PM

Player interaction is very important in any MMO.  With this in mind, will the players on opposing teams be able to communicate with one another?  The WoW method (for example) of limiting communication between teams makes their PvP system feel shallow and artificial.

Players from each Alliance within Cyrodiil can still use emotes and see the other players doing them for sure.  The comprehension of public messages however between players will be blocked between Alliances (it just gets flat out suppressed and enemy Alliances don't see public messages or zone chat from the enemy).

• Wik likes this

#49 NordJitsu

NordJitsu

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 09:19 PM

While I wait for an answer to the first:

--Given the large size of Cyrodiil, what are you doing to make sure the whole map is interesting and has things to do? One problem with GW2 (which had relatively small maps) was that all the action occurred near keeps. Will there be minor objectives through out the world where players can expect to find smaller scale battles? 

#50 Mouse Soldier

Mouse Soldier

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 09:21 PM

Players from each Alliance within Cyrodiil can still use emotes and see the other players doing them for sure.  The comprehension of public messages however between players will be blocked between Alliances (it just gets flat out suppressed and enemy Alliances don't see public messages or zone chat from the enemy).

Can enemies at least send whispers to one another?

#51 Skate_in_spada

Skate_in_spada

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 09:21 PM

Is the ps4 version worth getting vs PC? What will the deference be between the two? And how much people will you be able to be around on ps4?

#52 thatguywhohasausername

thatguywhohasausername

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 09:24 PM

Hi Brian. I wanted to know if there is still conjuration and if you can still conjure weapons. Also, do you have to use staffs to perform spells?

#53 Wik

Wik

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 7 posts

Can enemies at least send whispers to one another?

Nope, you can't. If you need/want to you will have to go to forums etc to communicate. The way they have ti setup is just like DAOC, emotes were all you could do to communicate/taunt. Other than that all you might get is "So and so says something you don't understand" like in DAOC.

• Visur likes this

#54 Guest_Draethar_*

Guest_Draethar_*
  • Guests

Hi Brian,

Thank you  for taking the time to do this Q&A reference PvP in Elder Scrolls Online. My question is regarding the PvP rewards in Cyrodiil. What rewards will we get for killing other players, capturing an objective or winning a campaign entirely? Will there be gear, titles, rank promotions, experience, etc? When we rank up will it be announced in guild? Will high rank promotions be announced across the realm like they do in Warhammer Online? Thanks.

#55 Mouse Soldier

Mouse Soldier

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 09:25 PM

Nope, you can't. If you need/want to you will have to go to forums etc to communicate. The way they have ti setup is just like DAOC, emotes were all you could do to communicate/taunt. Other than that all you might get is "So and so says something you don't understand" like in DAOC.

What is the purpose of limiting communication like this, Brian?  Not to be too negative but this is a gamebreaker for me, as I play for the social aspect more than anything.

• UtileDulci likes this

#56 E'Teren

E'Teren

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 09:27 PM

What is the purpose of limiting communication like this, Brian?  Not to be too negative but this is a gamebreaker for me, as I play for the social aspect more than anything.

You're at war! There is no fraternizing (or socializing) with the enemy! Pick up your sword and run them through if you want to communicate!!!

• tstickroe and Metrica like this

#57 ZOS_Wheeler

ZOS_Wheeler

Von Kaiser

• Zenimax
  • 32 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 09:27 PM

Hi Brian, thanks for this Q&A.

- Will it be possible for a small and optimized team (6-8 people) to win against a big zerg in a situation of roaming (not in a castle / bridge)?
- Will it be possible to display a guild emblem on a cloak in RvR?
- Will you invite full guild (PvP oriented) to test the RvR?

We have had several Beta's so far with large PVP oriented guilds getting invited and they've worked out great.  Hang in there for the invites as they'll come in time, but also more to the question about small groups vs. large groups.  We've been working diligently to find those sweet spot ratios and abilities to make it so small groups (4 players or so) can have the opportunity to take out larger groups (8-12 or more depending on the group make up) but it is a tough balance point to strike.  I can say from roaming around in small groups during our internal tests and Betas, that 2-4 player well coordinated groups have picked apart larger groups of players but then I've also been steamrolled in the exact same situation so it's a matter of who you're up against at the time and the players on the other side of the internet that determines a battle victor!

#58 NordJitsu

NordJitsu

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 09:28 PM

I'm not Brian but I imagine its because its a PvP game. Talking to your enemies is a no no. Allows people to give away positions and plans.

You can probably still talk to them through guild chat. But Brian would be the person to ask there. 

• Metrica likes this

#59 Soulece

Soulece

Von Kaiser

• Moderators
  • 57 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 18 December 2013 - 09:28 PM

You can socialize with your faction. If you think about it, enemies tend to not stop and talk to each other on a battlefield. Allowing cross faction communication typically ends with one side trash talking the other or raging that they got killed and spamming chat.

• E'Teren likes this

#60 Chawana

Chawana

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 09:29 PM

Because you're enemies, and that is not negotiable. Coordination of any sort with an enemy makes no sense at all. Want a social aspect? Talk to your own teammates, or make an alt.

The good outweighs the bad for me on this.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users