Photo

Dec. 18th @ 4pm EST - Exclusive Q&A With Zenimax Studios PvP Developer Brian Wheeler.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
156 replies to this topic

#121 Lazertag

Lazertag

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 10:30 PM

Hey Brian,

First of all, thanks a lot for doing this!

I have played Dark Age of Camelot for almost 10 years and I loved the PvP system. It's also one of the reasons why I'm checking out ESO.

Here's my questions:

1: Other games have introduced a cap on AoE abilities in PvP severely buffing zerg gameplay and weakening smaller groups that tried to kill zergs, thus zerging was often the only viable PvP playstyle option. Will AoE damage effects be capped (how many players they can hit) in ESO aswell?

2. Will there be kill messages in Cyrodiil? Like "player x killed player y in zone z" ? Or some kind of system that makes people who are really good in PvP visually stand out?

3. Will enemy PvP titles be visible in PvP? So that I can see which kind of enemies I'm fighting (their ranks)

Thanks a lot :)

#122 ZOS_Wheeler

ZOS_Wheeler

Von Kaiser

• Zenimax
  • 32 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 10:32 PM

Hey there! :)

I have a question related to player-made guilds, and perks in relations to PvP.

Besides the Offensive and Defensive pvp skill lines, are there anything that members of guilds can gain? Such as passives which increase if your near guildmates, or simply overall boosts? Also could you explain a bit more on how the whole guilds taking over keeps functions, besides them gaining a "guild store" in their keep?

And <3<3 For the QA sessions! :)

Guild stores in Keeps (and resources) are available when a guild claims a keep or resource (farm, lumbermill, mine).  The Quartermaster will then show the Guild Store to anyone that interacts with him/her and players can purchase whatever the guild that owns the claim has posted in their Guild Store.

• Tyre likes this

#123 ZOS_Wheeler

ZOS_Wheeler

Von Kaiser

• Zenimax
  • 32 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 10:34 PM

Will players get recognition for their abilities in PvP without someone having to minimize, open a web browser and bring up a site to see their ranking in PvP?

Leaderboards are available in the game itself which is quite awesome!  These leaderboards update roughly every 10 minutes or so and can be filtered by specific Class, Alliance and Overall leaders within a Campaign.

#124 wesphilly06

wesphilly06

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 10:34 PM

Hey Brian
I understand that ZOS put in a soft cap for some stats in game called overcharge to help ballance the game during PVP and PVE I guess. Will these over charges mean that after a point buffs and stat changing items wont work at all or will it just have a lesser effect?
(For example, if I have a khajiit and he focuses on crit chance and crit dam so I'm overcharged in crit, and another player in my faction gives me a buff toward crit will it just not work or will I receive some of the buff?)

#125 sid

sid

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 10:35 PM

Don't forget to answer to the question about an AOE cap to 5 targets (healing or dps), please! It's been asked 3 times and I'm sure you're getting to it.

Judging from your answer about a group of 8-12 it seems that there is no AOE cap.

However, people are looking towards favoring a full group rather than 2 groups vs larger odds otherwise it is just zerging right back at you.

#126 Soulece

Soulece

Von Kaiser

• Moderators
  • 57 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 18 December 2013 - 10:38 PM

Hey Brian

I understand that ZOS put in a soft cap for some stats in game called overcharge to help ballance the game during PVP and PVE i guess. WIll these over charges mean that after a point buffs and stat changing items wont work at all or will it just have a lesser effect?

(for example if i have a khajiit and he focuses on crit chance and crit dam so im overcharged in crit, and another player in my faction gives me a buff toward crit will it just not work or will i receive some of the buff?)

I'm not ZOS and I don't know the answer for buffs but overcharge for stats is basically diminishing returns from other MMOs like WoW. If you are in overcharge for crit, the more crit you get after the overcharge point will become less and less effective towards the stat.

#127 Tyleravv

Tyleravv

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 10:39 PM

I have a few questions:

1. Will there be other species of mounts besides horses?
2. Will there be guild banks?
3. Is there going to be some type of auction house or will selling have to be done through chat?

#128 ZOS_Wheeler

ZOS_Wheeler

Von Kaiser

• Zenimax
  • 32 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 10:43 PM

The two major concerns I have about this system are: zergfest and queues. What are you doing to discourage big groups in Ava? And how are you balancing Cyrodiil population to limit queues and in the same time mantain an healthy number of players?

While the zerg is a legitimate tactic I've seen smaller groups hold off larger groups and win.  These are tactics which develop over time and while I will say that while the zerg has it's place in the hallows of hatred for many players, the zerg is a safe haven for others that are not so adept at guerrilla warfare.  This is why we love and hate it I believe.  Some nights I like solo stealthing, other nights small group fighting, and then there really are nights when I just want to mindless zerg roam.  We encourage all game play styles in Cyrodiil and the area is built to develop those tactics.

In our Betas where Cyrodiil has been available, it took about 30-36 hours for players to develop those higher level fighting tactics such as rooftop keep defense, tower defense, and open field battles ripping apart larger groups.  That's not to say that 4 players can destroy a group of 24, but lower that number and add coordination vs. disorganization, and the chances of that do go up.

We intend to have many Campaigns available but not so many that population is sparse.  Our population reporting is very accurate and we'll be able to tell if we need more or less campaigns available to players not only depending on concurrency of players online, but also over time. To give as much balance as we can per side we do have population caps per Alliance within Cyrodiil, but also offer Campaign Scoring differential bonuses which I noted in a post prior in these threads =)

#129 Wrymn

Wrymn

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 10:45 PM

Hi Brian, have you set the date of allowing people to preorder game from your official website?

2nd Question: Will there be collectors edition of elder scrolls online? And what will be its perks?

#130 ZOS_Wheeler

ZOS_Wheeler

Von Kaiser

• Zenimax
  • 32 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 10:46 PM

Thank you for taking the time to do this interview. 

How many campaigns will I be able to join, and can I switch between them at any time? 

We are still nailing down exactly how many Campaigns we will launch with, but you will be able to Switch your assigned campaign and Guest campaign status.  Note that switching your Home Campaign will cost you Alliance Points to do so after your first freeby switch we give all players.  Also note you can join other players in their Campaigns if you're in their group.

Assigned or "Home" Campaigns will determine where you get bonuses from in Cyrodiil.  

#131 wesphilly06

wesphilly06

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 10:50 PM

Is there any way to sell/buy craft items from another faction while in Cyrodiil?

#132 ZOS_Wheeler

ZOS_Wheeler

Von Kaiser

• Zenimax
  • 32 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 10:53 PM

What is combat going to be like?  Is it going to be like Skyrim, where you aim/swing manually, or like World of Warcraft and other current MMOs, where you select a target and the game automatically attacks until the target dies?

In the former case, I'd be interested to know what technical challenges that approach presented and how you overcame them.

Combat is very Elder Scrollsey (insert trademark here).  It's mouse driven (on the PC/Mac) and you aim a reticule on top of the target you want to hit.  Clicking the left mouse button will attack and right click will block.  There is no "auto-attack" and combat is very rewarding because of that because it keeps you immersed in the world and actively fighting your target just like Skyrim, Oblivion, Morrowind and all the Elder Scrolls games.

• ElderNyx likes this

#133 ZOS_Wheeler

ZOS_Wheeler

Von Kaiser

• Zenimax
  • 32 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 10:55 PM

All, we're sorting through an issue with Brian's forum account here. Hang tight, he'll be in shortly to answer questions.

I couldn't resist...

Thanks for fixing it  :D

#134 ZOS_Wheeler

ZOS_Wheeler

Von Kaiser

• Zenimax
  • 32 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 10:56 PM

-What is the size of PvP Maps?

Cyrodiil is very very large!  On foot it would take you roughly 20-30 minutes to cross it from north to south.

#135 ZOS_Wheeler

ZOS_Wheeler

Von Kaiser

• Zenimax
  • 32 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 10:58 PM

My question is about guilds and pvp. Will a player guild be able to declare war against another player guild and then openly engage them in pvp in any area?

On message boards and outside of the game in a non-systematical white glove slap across the face way....sure!  There is however no systematic in game method of declaring war against a specific player or guild except for being in the same Campaign.

Edited by ZOS_Wheeler, 18 December 2013 - 10:59 PM.

#136 Carde

Carde

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 10:58 PM

Sup B Wheels, your boy Carde here again

Can you give us a little more info on exactly how the Cyrodiil level upboosting works? Like what can we expect raw stats wise pre-50? Will our gear stats matter in any way ontop of the boosted stats?

brobanner_zps4d4dfd9f.jpg

#137 ElderNyx

ElderNyx

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 10:59 PM

hi...

will anything in PVP and who is emperor affect the non-PVP...exp: will being emperor give diffrent outcomes and responces from NPC and what not?

#138 pogopwns

pogopwns

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 11:00 PM

Will there be small scale PvP, such as 2v2, 3v3, 5v5 teams similar to arena in WoW? That's one of my favorite things, being a competitive PvP player....

#139 Soulece

Soulece

Von Kaiser

• Moderators
  • 57 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 18 December 2013 - 11:01 PM

On message boards and outside of the game in a non-systematical white glove slap across the face way....sure!  There is however no systematic in game method of declaring war against a specific player or guild except for being in the same Campaign.

Any way to get that feature added to the list of possible future projects? Even if it's in the "not foreseeable future" column?

#140 wesphilly06

wesphilly06

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 11:01 PM

Thanks for answering our many questions i have two more to add lol :) :

1) I know it wont be availble at launch but have you ever discused being able to steal from players or a lumbermill/farm/mine/guildstore once the crime system gets put in place or will theving no be involved in PVP

2) Will there be any safe area in Cyrodii or will anywhere be dangerous.. if im buying armor in my guildstore will i get an arrow in the knee that will end my days as an adventurer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users