Photo

Dec. 18th @ 4pm EST - Exclusive Q&A With Zenimax Studios PvP Developer Brian Wheeler.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
156 replies to this topic

#141 Carde

Carde

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 11:05 PM

Yo B Wheels, Cardiggity here again

Erlex wants to know what's up with PvP kill spam (similar to DAOC) and if we can possibly expect to see that in TESO?

brobanner_zps4d4dfd9f.jpg

#142 ZOS_Wheeler

ZOS_Wheeler

Von Kaiser

• Zenimax
  • 32 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 11:05 PM

Hey B Wheels, your bro Carde here again.

Are you going to make sure that AOE skills will be strong enough to help small and coordinated groups fend off larger and less organized groups? That'd totally be the B Wheels I know and love if so.

I can say that Siege weaponry and the like have been adjusted to help make this a possibility (and in fact was proven as a legitimate tactic at Chalman Keep during Beta), and we are always balancing our abilities across the board to find the right population and skill ratio so small groups and large groups are effective in the open field.  As Elder Scrolls Online will receive updates through out it's lifetime, there will be many passes at skills, weapons, armor and abilities that will benefit everyone both small and large, open field or not, in PvE and PVP.

#143 Arclath

Arclath

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 11:07 PM

Hey Brian

I have a question that's shifting somewhere inbetween RP (roleplay) and PvP (Player-verus-Player): As a long time roleplayer in both the MMO genre, my guilds and I have often talked on how large scale PvP guilds are usually rewarded in the sense of guild housing, or "guild keeps" - which you seem to be doing with Cyrodill, and my questions is - Is it possible, outside of PvP, to get housing for your guild, possibly in a patch post-launch?

#144 Soulece

Soulece

Von Kaiser

• Moderators
  • 57 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 18 December 2013 - 11:13 PM

I've been a massive fan of the Ayleidoon since they were first introduced in Oblivion. Will Ayleid ruins play any role within PvP or PvE in ESO?

Edited by Soulece, 18 December 2013 - 11:14 PM.

#145 ZOS_JessicaFolsom

ZOS_JessicaFolsom

Glass Joe

• Zenimax
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 11:16 PM

Hey folks,

Brian has said he'll answer some more questions from this thread over the next few days, even though the thread is now closed.

Thanks for dropping in to ask him your questions!

#146 Soulece

Soulece

Von Kaiser

• Moderators
  • 57 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 18 December 2013 - 11:16 PM

Thank you to all of the ZOS devs who came here to answer questions for us, especially Brian.

#147 DarthRupert

DarthRupert

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 11:17 PM

Thanks for coming Brian, we really appreciate your time.

F1EpOFD.jpg

#148 Carde

Carde

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 11:17 PM

PEACE OUT TO B WHEELS, G DAWG AND J-FO

one love

brobanner_zps4d4dfd9f.jpg

#149 TTH_Sardu

TTH_Sardu

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 11:19 PM

Hey folks,

Brian has said he'll answer some more questions from this thread over the next few days, even though the thread is now closed.

Thanks for dropping in to ask him your questions!

Thanks Jess, and a huge thanks to Brian for answering the community PvP questions!

#150 Arxkanite

Arxkanite

Administrator

• ♦ Administrators
  • 99 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 11:19 PM

This forum is now locked for new questions. Brian has stated that he wishes to answer some unanswered questions as he has time.

If you would like to continue discussing Elder Scrolls Online, please do so here:http://forums.elitis...scrolls-online/

Thank you very much for your time Brian. And thank you Zenimax for loaning him to us today. Good luck, and I can't wait for ESO to come out!

• UtileDulci likes this

#151 ZOS_Wheeler

ZOS_Wheeler

Von Kaiser

• Zenimax
  • 32 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 04:24 PM

Question: What's going to stop the game from becoming a total CC fest....I mean, SWTOR got dubbed the nick name stun wars due to most people only using CC abilities, i called it first ''Elders Stuns Online''

Answer:
Many a great concerns have been brought up about CC in many games and I'm happy to say that CC does have a role in combat for sure, but it's not debilitating rendering you unable to fight back which is usually the big concern.  One of the primary reasons behind this is how you break out of CC by holding down left mouse and clicking right mouse to break out (if you have enough stamina to do so which usually is the case).  There also are Alliance War abilities that break out your entire group from being CC'd.  Lastly, CC duration's are short in Elder Scrolls Online with only a few lasting long term, which are broken when you take damage immediately.

#152 ZOS_Wheeler

ZOS_Wheeler

Von Kaiser

• Zenimax
  • 32 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 04:26 PM

Question: I've been a massive fan of the Ayleidoon since they were first introduced in Oblivion. Will Ayleid ruins play any role within PvP or PvE in ESO?

Answer: Scattered through out the world will be Ayleid ruins that have dungeons to explore as well as have stories focused around them.  Coming from a purely combat standpoint like the buffs from Oblivion, some Ayleid wells (you'll recognize them by the glowing effects on them) will also offer a temporary bonus to stats once you interact with them.  These are especially useful in Cyrodiil as you can imagine.

• Soulece likes this

#153 ZOS_Wheeler

ZOS_Wheeler

Von Kaiser

• Zenimax
  • 32 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 04:37 PM

Question 1: Will players of the same faction within Cyrodil be able to converse with one another on a grand scale? as in will entire armies be able to coordinate with one another on the battlefield to counter-act their foes? Or will this coordination be strictly within whispers and/or within allied keeps?

Question 2: Do you personally believe their will be enough diversity within character and class creation to make a warzone that you never truly know what to expect next? In my eyes most pvp oriented games end up being a cookie cutter design that I personally wish not to associate ESO with. Thanks for your time. 

Answer 1: Players of the same Alliance can use the zone wide chat within Cyrodiil to communicate with each other to allow many players to communicate with each other outside of just their groups.

Answer 2: I do indeed believe there is a TON of customization within our character systems. The great thing that having so many abilities and limited loadouts at a single time is that you can run into the same enemy and have a completely different fight from the last time you encountered them. You're not restricted to an armor or weapon type which opens up different combinations of abiltiies, but also can alter your tactics from being more sneaky in medium armor or more like a bull in a china shop in heavy armor! There really are tons of builds out there to counter every other build which is always good for PVP.

#154 ZOS_Wheeler

ZOS_Wheeler

Von Kaiser

• Zenimax
  • 32 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 04:40 PM

Question: Given the large size of Cyrodiil, what are you doing to make sure the whole map is interesting and has things to do? One problem with GW2 (which had relatively small maps) was that all the action occurred near keeps. Will there be minor objectives through out the world where players can expect to find smaller scale battles?

Answer: Besides keeps and the resources that fuel them, there are specific choke points between the Alliance territories within Cyrodiil to look for small skirmish fights.  Also note that the towns of Cyrodiil offer PVE quests that are repeatable so if you're looking to take a break from killing people, or even better, want to look for players taking a break and don't expect to be killed, head to Bruma, Cheydinhal, Chorrol, Cropsford or Vlastarus!

#155 ZOS_Wheeler

ZOS_Wheeler

Von Kaiser

• Zenimax
  • 32 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 04:45 PM

Question: Thank you  for taking the time to do this Q&A reference PvP in Elder Scrolls Online. My question is regarding the PvP rewards in Cyrodiil. What rewards will we get for killing other players, capturing an objective or winning a campaign entirely? Will there be gear, titles, rank promotions, experience, etc? When we rank up will it be announced in guild? Will high rank promotions be announced across the realm like they do in Warhammer Online? Thanks

Answer: The PVP Currency is Alliance Points which you earn from killing players, capturing locations, defending locations and completing Alliance War Quests for scouting, capturing, and killing.  Also note that a large gold reward is granted at the end of a Campaign time period depending on how well your Alliance did as well as how well you did.  There are also rewards for placing high on the Leaderboards at the end of Campaigns as well as staying within your Campaign rewarding loyalty to not only your Alliance, but fellow Campaign members.  You can buy gear with these Alliance points and you'll get new titles as you rank up in the war.  Lastly, you get good old fashioned experience to level up by killing players and completing quests in Cyrodiil as well. 

#156 ZOS_Wheeler

ZOS_Wheeler

Von Kaiser

• Zenimax
  • 32 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 04:55 PM

Question: What is the purpose of limiting communication like this, Brian?  Not to be too negative but this is a gamebreaker for me, as I play for the social aspect more than anything.

Answer: While talking across Alliances can be seen as fun and brings out some competitiveness among players, it can also lead to harassment which takes away from the player experience of simply having fun.  There are other reasons that fall a distant second to this, but coming from Customer Service myself a long time ago, player harassment can be a very big issue and limiting communication in this way helps everyone have more fun while limiting the amount of "newb, n00b, jerkface!!" messages. 

• Soulece likes this

#157 ZOS_Wheeler

ZOS_Wheeler

Von Kaiser

• Zenimax
  • 32 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 05:00 PM

Question: Is ESO pure pvp mmo? i'm more a pve crafting person and social etc not much of a pvp'er is there something in ESO for people like me?

Answer: Cyrodiil is only one aspect of Elder Scrolls Online.  You start your journey in the Alliance territory doing Quests, learning the story of your Alliance, dungeon crawling, exploring and crafting.  As odd as it sounds coming from the "pvp guy" I enjoy crafting in ESO very much!  I find myself roaming around the game looking for materials to craft new armor and weapons and all the while exploring to find out the story.  The crafting system is very robust and will hopefully engage you as much as it has me!

• wesphilly06 and Soulece like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users