• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Arxkanite

Arxkanite

Administrator

• ♦ Administrators
  • 140 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 12:54 AM

I haven't had as much time to play this weekend as I had hoped. Has anyone had a chance to try out the crafting? And what is that like? Are we limited in number? Will crafted goods be valuable?

#2 Soulece

Soulece

Von Kaiser

• Moderators
  • 57 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 14 January 2014 - 02:18 AM

Crafting is very nice. I haven't completely figured it out, like trying to figure out how to put a trait into armor/ weapons but I mostly figured it out. It takes quite a bit of resources to level up your crafting but it's worth it. Certain crafting skills are harder to get recipes for. I've found cooking to be the easiest to get recipes. Blacksmithing is the hardest. With Blacksmithing, the only way to get new weapon and armor styles to craft is you have to have the resource (such as obsidian for Dunmer) and you have to find rare books around the world that will teach you how to make that style of armor/weapon.

The system seems robust and if you have all the resources, you can make very powerful armor and weapons. I had just the right resources and crafted some enchantments as well and when I forged my swords and then enchanted them, I tore through the enemies. Even during the beta, good crafted weapons and armor were worth thousands of Drakes.

#3 r4gz

r4gz

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 17 January 2014 - 07:55 PM

I usually hate crafting, but I found ESO's current system to be interesting enough.  I tried Blacksmithing primarily, and didn't really mess around with much else.  We are not limited in number of crafting professions, but some of the progression requires skill points which you otherwise may need to spend on active/passive combat abilities.  It's hard to tell at the low levels if crafting will be useful.  I was playing with a more experienced group of players who have had the opportunity to play to lv.50, and they seemed convinced that crafting was very useful at the endgame.  

As far as Blacksmithing is concerned - you have three major facets: Resources, Research, Production

Resources: Gathered via mining ore from veins found in the world, or deconstructing heavy armor and melee weapons.

Research:  Items have Traits.  There are separate lists of traits for Armor/Weapons.  Traits are generally stats like "Increases Armor/Spell Resistance by 7%" or "Decrease Amount of Stamina from Dodge-Rolling by 5%".  If you do not already know how to craft a certain trait, you can acquire a weapon/armor in the game with the desired trait and "Research" that trait by sacrificing the item.  The item is destroyed instantly, and the process of researching takes a base ~6 hours (decreasing with skill-point investment in Blacksmithing).  You only need to research a Trait once.

Production: You automatically have access to every type of weapon and armor.  There are four options to choose for each item when creating armor/weapons:  Armor/Weapon (Chest/Sword/Axe/Boots/etc), Amount of Ore, Style, Trait.

Armor/Weapon - You can choose which part of the body or what type of weapon you are crafting.

Amount of Ore - Increasing/Decreasing this changes the Armor/Damage & Level Requirement of the final product.

Style - You choose the cosmetic appearance of the item (Orc/Bone/etc styles).  You must have learned the Style by visiting a crafting station from that area of the game, and have the appropriate items.  For instance, to craft a 'Bone' style helmet, you need to have learned how to craft that style by visiting the appropriate crafting station, as well as having the appropriate extra crafting material.  There is a default crafting style that does not require extra crafting material.

Trait - You can optionally apply a Trait from your list of previously researched Traits.  You must also have the extra crafting materials necessary to craft that Trait.  For instance, if I want to add the trait "Perseverance" I would need to have researched that trait by sacrificing an item with that trait, waited the ~6 hours for it to finish researching, and have the appropriate extra crafting item necessary for that particular trait.

• Soulece likes this

#4 Soulece

Soulece

Von Kaiser

• Moderators
  • 57 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 18 January 2014 - 08:12 AM

r4gz, that was a very inciteful breakdown of Blacksmithing. I didn't know how to get new Styles. I heard from zone chat you go them through books but this way seems more reasonable. Any idea where the specific crafting stations with new styles such as Breton are?

#5 r4gz

r4gz

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 19 January 2014 - 10:31 PM

I remember reading a post that specifically stated the crafting system was still going through major changes/overhauls.  Anything is possible at this point.

I didn't set out to learn any new styles, but from what I gathered from the forums guide that the devs had posted, reading ingame tool-tips, and talking to the more experienced beta participants - the crafting stations/styles will be acquired from their respective provinces (I have no specific locations).  I was playing an Orc, and I believe I had default access to my race's style as well as the 'default' choice.  Taking this a step further, it might be safe to assume that cross-realm styles might not be available until 50+/++ content.

Edited by r4gz, 19 January 2014 - 10:33 PM.

#6 Drazz

Drazz

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 04:51 AM

Yeah, I didnt do much tbh, I mainly wanted to see as much of the zones as possible and experience the world and quests..I did pick lots of herbs/plants and made quite a pots I also collected wood but never made anythign with it.. 

#7 Soulece

Soulece

Von Kaiser

• Moderators
  • 57 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 25 January 2014 - 12:13 PM

Oh so if the weapon/armor styles are locked to their regions, then that means that if you are in the Ebonheart pact, you are limited to Dunmer, Nord and Argonian armor styles at this time since factions can't go into the other factions regions, at least at launch.

#8 r4gz

r4gz

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 28 January 2014 - 05:05 PM

Soulece, that was my understanding, but I admit that is still hugely speculative and I have not tested it.  From what I understand about the system as it stood in the last beta - you would need to wait until 50+/++ content to have access to other faction's crafting stations/styles.

Just to clarify - factions can go to other faction's regions, but not until level 50.

#9 Soulece

Soulece

Von Kaiser

• Moderators
  • 57 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 31 January 2014 - 02:48 AM

Hmm, I was under the impression that factions couldn't go to the other factions zones at all. Guess Zenimax must have changed their stance on it at some point. If that is true, then that will really expand the crafting choices we can have at max level.

#10 Arxkanite

Arxkanite

Administrator

• ♦ Administrators
  • 140 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 09:05 PM

Yeah, I got to play around with it a bit so far. While initially unintuitive, I really like the system! I like that you can just pump more resources into something to improve it, and can craft special attributes on it as you learn them. No need to run around and collect / buy recipies.

#11 moosetrax

moosetrax

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 04:54 PM

As far as crafting gear from other alliances, I managed to find the ability to craft Bretton gear while playing a Dunmer. I believe it was from a book I found (Blue) in a container. It was one that you could actually pick up and use like the food recipes.

#12 Soulece

Soulece

Von Kaiser

• Moderators
  • 57 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 13 February 2014 - 09:49 PM

So this last beta weekend, I worked heavily on mastering crafting and I have to say, I think it's going to be one of the selling points for me playing ESO and I hope some of it's features get added to the next TES game.

So the way you gain new crafting styles is from crafting books, which are found at random around the world in containers but have a higher chance in bookcases and nightstands. Also, it's best to get to working on traits asap when playing ESO. Each trait takes several hours to research but are well worth it. What makes crafting so good is for instance, I can make a sword with my level, the trait I want such as "4% increased attack speed" and then after you finish the weapon, you can add an enchantment to the weapon for another effect.

Now you have a strong weapon but why stop there? Then you can add tempers to the weapon. One type of temper will turn the weapon from a white item to a green weapon. Then another will turn the green weapon to a blue weapon and so on. I crafted a blue text weapon (superior I think is what it's called) and then added a trait and enchantment to it and I just tore through my opposition.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users