Minor glyphs have no use whatsoever, Glyph of Resilient Grip being the only exception*.
* - for challenge modes, you should pick Glyph of Resilient Grip along with Glyph of Path of Frost and Glyph of Tranquil Grip. The last two might have some uses in challenge modes.
3. Stat Priority
Expertise (7.5%+) >= Melee Hit (7.5%) > Strength > Crit = Haste > Mastery
For most optimal results, you should check the stat priority yourself with the use of simcraft;
In order to sim your character, use the Import button and paste your armory link into simcraft's built-in browser. After doing so, go to Options > Scaling and make sure that all your stats of interest are chosen. Now go to Simulate, press the "Simulate!" button in the bottom right corner and simply await your results.
Simcraft allows you to scale your gear down to a challenge mode/proving grounds level (any item level you wear on your character will get scaled down to 463). You can do that by going to Options > Globals and enabling "Challenge Mode" option.
6. PLAY STYLE
- In proving grounds, none of the mobs deal damage so all your survival abilities are utterly useless (AMS and Icebound Fortitude can still come in very handy because of their additional effects).
- Remember that in proving grounds all mobs can parry and dodge your attacks, positioning is essential.
- All buffs are provided for, but you should still bring your own food and flasks as they both work in proving grounds (1300 strength is A LOT).
- You need to utilize Amber Globules spawned by the Amber-Weavers. Upon hitting the target, Amber Globule instantly stuns it and increases its damage taken by 50%! Be sure to make best possible use of this insane damage increase.
- Multi-dotting is extremely powerful (especially during the varmint wave). HOWLING BLA...RGH!
- Utilize your Death Grip ability against targets such as Banshees or Illusionary Banana-Tossers.
- Remember to use your AMS if Amber Globule is about to hit you. If you get hit by it, use your Icebound Fortitude to get out of it ASAP (Amber Globule is a stun, so yeah, IF also renders you immune to it, same as AMS).
- Don't be afraid to use your pillar of frost at the very start of the wave - each wave last about a minute which is the equivalent of PoF's cooldown.
- Be sure to refresh your flask and food if it is about to expire (best time for doing this is shorly after killing sha, during the 10th, 20th, 30th+ wave).
You should have no problem whatsoever with waves 1, 3, 6 (hence 11, 13, 16 and so on).
Waves that might be more challenging: 2, 4, 7, 9.
The most difficult waves: 5, 8, 10.
Wave 1, 11, 21, 31 and so on: Extremely easy, just kite the amber globules and you should be fine. Use death and decay along with howling blast on the small adds in the middle, switch to 3 Amber-Weavers and after killing them finish off the remaining adds. Feel free to use your howling blast on the adds when running to next Amber-Weaver.
Wave 2: Use your Pillar of Frost ability at the very start, as for the kill order: Mystic > Guardians > Amber Weaver (remember about the banshee spawn at 00:30).
Wave 3: Easiest of all the waves, use dnd and focus one of the two banana tossers, using howling blast so that it hits as many mobs as possible. Kill the tosser and grip the other one. Use HB again so that it hits all the mobs, kill him and then finish off any remaining mobs.
Wave 4: Use your Pillar of Frost, ghoul might come in handy if you want to save the berserk buff. Kite the amber globules into guardians, Amber Weaver should be your last target (remember about the banshee spawn at 00:30).
Wave 5: You might want to use your berserk here but it is better to save it and use the empower rune weapon ability instead (if you want to use the berserk buff, do not use it immediately but when the wave timer hits 00:30 so you get most of it). Kill the banana tosser first, if you are not quick enough, use your Strangulate ability on the mystic to interrupt his heal. After both the mystic and the banana tosser are down, switch to sha. Use your cooldowns after sha's damage reduction bubble expires.
Wave 6: Another AoE wave, easy-peasy. Use your howling blast along with dnd on the small adds and switch to one of the mystics. Interrupt his heal and don't even bother about second one, he will try to heal one of the small adds which is totally irrelevant. After killing the first mystic, use your howling blast on the adds while running to the second one, kill the second mystic and then finish off any remaining adds. Don't even think of using berserk buff during this wave, it would be such a MASSIVE waste.
Wave 7: Go for one of the guardians first, kill him quickly, go for another one and after getting close to him use your death grip on the banana tosser so that it gets hit by the Amber Globule. Alternatively you can focus down the banana tosser first and then go for the guardians, the choice is yours. Obviously, two Amber Weavers are your least priority targets.
Wave 8: One of the more challenging waves because of the 3 banshee spawns (00:25, 00:30 and 00:45), have some runes/blood tap stacks ready for 'em. When the wave starts, go for the mystic in the middle.
Wave 9: Kill the banana tosser first, then go for the slayers. If guardian is struck by the globule, switch to him. Amber Weaver should be your last target.
Wave 10: Start dpsing the illusionary sha, use your army of the dead when the wave timer hits 00:40. When the wave timer hits 00:30, get the berserk buff from wave 4 or 6. Have 12 stacks of blood tap and all runes ready for the moment when the damage reduction shield goes down. http://www.wowhead.com/spell=47568 is really helpful during these last few seconds.
6.3 Useful macros;
Here are some very basic macros that you might find useful (just replace them with your appropriate abilities):
#showtooltip/target Illusionary Mystic/cast Mind Freeze
#showtooltip/target Illusionary Mystic/cast Strangulate
#showtooltip/target Illusionary Banana-Tosser/cast Death Grip
#showtooltip/target Illusionary Banshee/cast Death Grip
#showtooltip/cast Pillar of Frost/use Skullrender Medallion (for Alliance change it to Helmbreaker medallion)
If you have any questions concerning this guide, feel free to ask them in the comments below.
Edited by MysticalOS, 27 March 2014 - 05:16 PM.