Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Is ESO only for PvPers?

4 posts in this topic

So ESO is a PvP-focused game. Is there going to be enough content/interest for non-PvPers to play it through the end-game and beyond?

I'm not a PvPer at all but I love the Elder Scrolls series. For years I've been waiting for ESO and now the release date rapidly approaches and they seem to be pushing PvEers and RPers into the back seat.

I want to give ESO a chance but is it even worth it if I don't PvP?

Well we don't know much about the end game yet. However, Zenimax claims that there is a lot for PvEers to do and definitely there is alot of lore to work with. However, they have put alot of effort into promoting the PvP aspect of the game so we shall see.

There is tons for PVE. Like so many dungeons both public and private. Public dungeons get harder and harder the more people in them. But most you can solo and have fun. There are a few epic public dungeons that are hard enough you need to group up with the rando's you find to get through them. (Thanks to the way the mega server works, you'll always find a few people to hang out with). Plus you get some cool achievements for clearing these.

For the main dungeons you can use dungeon finder to find a group. Once you clear the dungeon for a certain level bracket within your own alliance, you unlock the other two faction's alliances and can then instantly teleport to these new dungeons.

Then there are some amazing guild quest lines, tons of crafting (everyone can craft everything, but its' still balanced.), soul shards to find, lore books to find, and some other crazy things. 

I haven't reached veteran content yet, but there is so much to do PVE wise that I haven't had much time to PvP yet.

Posted (edited)

The real question is whether PvP is voluntary.

The last game I want to play is one in which wannabe serial killers are allowed to get their jollies by using their avatars to kill the avatars of other players whenever and wherever they choose to do that.

When I began playing WoW I was on Destromath until the population withered away and the guild transferred to Bleeding Hollow. But BH soon became so horde-dominated that my Alliance paladin literally could not leave the beach around Tushui Landing on Timeless Isle because all I could do was fight Horde player-toon after Horde player-toon. Nor could my paladin get even the first quest in the Black Prince series for the Legendary Cloak because the Horde hung-out there 24 hours per day and in enough numbers to ensure that any solo Alliance player would not have a chance to do that.

Then Blizzard has the nerve to demand payment to transfer my character(s) to a PvE realm, Garona. Since then they have even increased the transfer fee to a ridiculous amount.

Blizzard has profitted handsomely from promoting hatred and contempt for the Alliance among the Horde and, as an Alliance player, I have come to feel that it just isn't worth playing the game any more.

So I am looking for alternatives. Although I have had hopes for ESO, it seems as though they are going to travel the same path as Blizzard.

Edited by Stardance

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Similar Content

• [WoD] 6.2 Shadow Priest PvE Primer
      By speak

A note about the most recent update and all updates going forward:  I will now highlight (to the best of my ability) all changes in red. I will keep the changes in red until either the next major revision or for 1 week.  The purpose of this change is to allow people following this guide to quickly see my most recent changes without having to go through the Change Log.
      = Last Updated 6/23/2015 =

Table of Contents

• Overview
      • What Changed in Warlords of Draenor?
      • Talents
      • Glyphs
      • Core Abilities
      • Shadow Enhancements
      • Stat Priorities
      • Enchanting/Gemming/Consumables
      • Gearing
      • Rotations/Priority Lists
        • Clarity of Power
        • Auspicious Spirits
        • Void Entropy
      • Encounter Guide (In Development)
      • Macros
      • Addons
      • WeakAuras
      • Copyright and Redistribution
      • Credits and Thanks
      • ToDo
      • Change Log

This purpose of this guide is to provide both a broad overview of the Shadow Priest class as well as more detailed analysis of the Shadow Priest rotation and gearing.  The intended audience for this guide is everyone, from beginners through veteran players.  If you would like to contribute to the guide in a meaningful way, feel free to contact me on these forums or on twitter.
      Just a very brief about me. Hi, my name is Speakeasy and I've been a addicted to my Shadow Priest since vanilla. I've been raiding progression content since Molten Core, including some stints in two world top 10 guilds in the TBC/WOTLK era, and I am currently raiding with Something Wicked.

If this guide was helpful to you, please take a moment to follow it on EJ.  For guide updates, feel free to follow me on twitter @sp_speakeasy.
      With that out of the way, let's talk about Shadow Priests.
      Shadow currently provides medium single target damage and very-high single-target execute damage.  Shadow provides very-low sustained AOE damage and medium to medium-high burst AOE and high multi-target damage, depending upon talent choice.
      Shadow’s difficulty varies widely depending upon your talent choices and the individual fight.  Generally, you can expect a medium level of difficulty when playing your Shadow Priest.

What Changed in Warlords of Draenor?

Warlords of Draenor Patch 6.2
      Warlords of Draenor Patch 6.2 is brings very few Shadow Priest changes.

Warlords of Draenor Patch 6.1
      Warlords of Draenor patch 6.1 brings some pretty exciting changes to the Shadow specialization.

Warlords of Draenor Ability Pruning

DoTs Now Dynamically Update
      Periodic damage and healing effects now dynamically recalculate their damage, critical strike chance, multipliers, and period on every tick.  This change eliminates the practice formerly known as “snapshotting” wherein you would attempt to apply your DoTs when you had a particularly powerful buff and those DoTs would retain that buff for their duration.
      Ironically, this change has led to a sort of “reverse snapshotting,” where you will oftentimes want to have your DoTs already applied before using a powerful buff.
      Haste Breakpoints Are Gone
      As part of the above change, Blizzard also removed Haste breakpoints.  For us, this just means no more fancy formulas to figure out the total duration and number of ticks of our DoTs.
      DoTs will now last for a fixed period of time and haste will decrease the interval between ticks.  For instance, Shadow Word: Pain will always last 18 seconds.  With 0% haste, Shadow Word: Pain will tick every 3 seconds, for a total of 6 ticks.  At 50% haste, Shadow Word: Pain will tick once every 1.5 seconds, for a total of 12 ticks.
      DoT Clipping Has Been Improved
      Recasting most damage over time effects that are already on a target now extends the effect to up to 130% of the normal duration of the effect (also known as the "Pandemic" rule).  For instance, if you refresh a 10 second DoT while it still has 3 seconds remaining, your new DoT will be 13 seconds.  For Shadow Priests, this rule applies to all of our DoTs except Devouring Plague.  
      Importantly, using the Pandemic rule will not, in abstract, increase or decrease your damage.  It will, however, increase your DPS if you use it wisely.  For instance, if you are about to enter a period of sustained burst damage (through, say, Insanity) you will gain DPS if you are able to ensure your DoTs remain on the target for the duration of your burst.

Original duration - 15 seconds
      Maximum duration - 19.5 seconds
      Optimal refresh time -
      It is worth noting that Vampiric Touch has a base cast time.  Therefore, the optimal time to begin casting your Vampiric Touch is actually 4.5 seconds + the cast time of your Vampiric Touch.

Original duration - 18 seconds
      Maximum duration - 23.4 seconds
      Optimal refresh time -
      The initial hit from Shadow Word: Pain will affect neither the total duration of the Shadow Word: Pain nor the interval (Source).

Devouring Plague is unaffected by the DoT clipping changes.  Instead, if you reapply Devouring Plague, the remaining Devouring Plague ticks (all of them, not just 30%) will be added and conserved in the total damage of the next Devouring Plague.  The next Devouring Plague will tick a total of 7 times, 1 tick to preserve the interval of the old Devouring Plague and 6 normal ticks as you would expect.
      This is even true if you refresh over a Devouring Plague with enhancements, such as trinket procs, spellpower potions, etc.
      Multistrike counts as a reapplication of Devouring Plague.  Therefore, if you apply Devouring Plague and it multistrikes, you will get 7 total ticks.

Clipping 1 tick gives 3+4 ticks 
      Clipping 2 ticks gives 2+5 ticks
      Clipping 3 ticks gives 1+6 ticks
      Clipping 4 ticks (on an already extended Mind Flay) gives 1+3+7 ticks
      Clipping 5 ticks (on an already extended Mind Flay) gives 1+2+7 ticks
      Optimal usage:  do not clip more than 4 ticks.  Clipping fewer than 4 ticks will preserve the total number of ticks.
      Note:  clipping 1 tick of Mind Flay is impossible due to the GCD unless you are under the effect of some haste debuff, such as the Mind Fungus effect on Brackenspore.

Clipping 1 ticks gives 5+6 ticks
      Clipping 2 ticks gives 4+7 ticks
      Clipping 3 ticks gives 3+7 ticks
      Clipping 4 ticks gives 2+7 ticks
      Optimal usage: do not clip more than 2 ticks.

Note:  clipping 1 tick of Mind Sear is impossible due to the GCD unless you are under the effect of some haste debuff, such as the Mind Fungus effect on Brackenspore.

Tier 1 Talents:

• Desperate Prayer (2-minute cooldown) is an instant heal that heals you for 22% of your maximum health.  Desperate Prayer can be cast without losing Shadowform.
      • Spectral Guise (30 second cooldown) is similar to the rogue ability Vanish or the mage ability Invisibility.  When you use Spectral Guise you leave behind an illusion of yourself and you will remain in a stealth-like state for either 6 seconds or until your illusion is attacked 3 times.
      • Angelic Bulwark (90 second internal cooldown) is a passive ability that will give you a shield equal to 15% of your maximum health whenever you dip below 30% maximum health.

The choice between Desperate Prayer and Angelic Bulwark is largely one of preference.  
      I prefer Desperate Prayer because I like having the ability to control when I heal.  Desperate Prayer is best where you can anticipate taking a large amount of damage, and no damage thereafter. 
      Angelic Bulwark is best where you are unable to anticipate the damage, or there will be additional damage after the anticipated damage.
      Spectral Guise has several PvE applications, but must be used with caution.  In certain situations, such as the Penetrating Shot mechanic on Iron Maidens, Spectral Guise will completely negate the fight mechanic.  However, in other situations, such as Rapid Fire, again on Iron Maidens, Spectral Guise will cause the ability to go haywire and retarget another player in the raid without any notice.
      Tier 2 Talents:

• Body and Soul (cooldown tied to Power Word: Shield) will cause the target of your Power Word: Shield and Leap of Faith to gain 60% movement speed for 4 seconds.
      • Angelic Feather (10 second recharge, 3 charges) places a feather on the ground that any friendly player can run over to gain a 60% movement speed buff for 6 seconds.  As of 6.1, the feathers will prefer the casting Priest over other players if you place them in a group of players.
      • Phantasm (cooldown tied to Fade) causes your Fade ability to remove all movement impairing effects and will make you immune to all such effects for 5 seconds.

The choice between Angelic Feather and Body and Soul is largely one of preference.  
      Angelic Feather is an extremely powerful ability allowing you to move 60% faster for close to 30 seconds straight.  In certain encounters, however, Angelic Feather may be impractical, such as times where you a grouped tightly with your entire raid.  Although Blizzard did change Angelic Feather so that it prefers the casting priest over other targets, you may still find that other members of your raid are taking your feather buff.
      Body and Soul is best where you need to simultaneously move and prevent damage.  This is particularly true where you can also benefit from the effects of Glyph of Reflective Shield.  For instance, on Imperator Mar'gok, Body and Soul is useful because you can use the extra speed boost to both get through the Force Nova and prevent some of its damage.  However, Body and Soul suffers from the fact that it is tied to Power Word: Shield and, thus, cannot be used on a player that is already affected by Weakened Soul.  
      Phantasm has very little PvE application thus far in Warlords of Draenor.
      Tier 3 Talents:

Your Tier 3 talent choice should be made on a fight-by-fight basis and only after considering a number of factors, including which Tier 7 talent you are taking, the number of targets on the fight, and how long those targets will live.
      Insanity is the default choice when you also take the Tier 7 talent Clarity of Power.  Importantly, while Insanity previously applied a debuff to your target, it now provides a buff (Insanity) to you.  The result of this change is two-fold: one, if your target with Devouring Plague dies prematurely, you will not lose your Insanity buff and, two, you can apply Devouring Plague to one target and channel Insanity on another target.  
      When using Auspicious Spirits, Insanity is still your best option on single target fights or on fights with short-lived, high priority adds.  For instance, on Beast Lord Darmac, his Call the Pack ability summons a large number of low-health adds.  By using the Searing Insanity portion of Insanity, you will be able to deal significant AOE damage to these short-lived targets.  
      Surge of Darkness pairs well with Auspicious Spirits on two to three target, heavy movement fight.  
      Mindbender becomes the go-to talent for Auspicious Spirits with a very large number of long-lived targets.  With sufficient gear and targets, you will simply run out of globals to use your Surge of Darkness procs.  Mindbender is a sort of "cast it and forget it" ability that requires only one global cooldown.  Mindbender is also the highest on demand burst damage options for Shadow Priests.  
      Tier 4 Talents:

• Void Tendrils (30 second cooldown) roots up to 5 enemies within 8-yards of you in place for 20 seconds.  The Void Tendrils may be targeted and killed.
      • Psychic Scream (60 second cooldown) fears up to 5 enemies within 8 yards of you for 8 seconds.  Damage may break this effect.
      • Dominate Mind (no cooldown) attempts to control an enemy.  While you are channeling Dominate Mind, you cannot control your priest.

Tier 4 is another personal preference tier.
      None of these talents are particularly useful in a PvE setting.  Psychic Scream, glyphed with Glyph of Psychic Scream, may be useful in certain dungeon situations, such as Challenge Modes.
      Similarly, Void Tendrils may be useful against mobs that fixate.
      Dominate Mind has extremely limited effects in PvE.  Currently, it is useful on only one current raid encounter, Blast Furnace.
      Tier 5 Talents:

• Twist of Fate (no cooldown) after damaging a target below 35% health, you deal 15% additional damage and healing for 10 seconds
      • Power Infusion (2 minute cooldown) infuses you with power for 20 seconds.  Increases haste by 25% and reduces the mana cost of all spells by 20%.
      • Shadowy Insight (no cooldown) your Shadow Word: Pain damage over time and Mind Spike damage have a 5% chance to reset the cooldown on Mind Blast and make your next Mind Blast instant.

Your Tier 5 talent choice should be made on a fight-by-fight basis and only after considering a number of factors, including which Tier 7 talent you are taking, the number of targets on the fight, and how long those targets will live.
      Twist of Fate is the default choice thus far in Warlords of Draenor.  Twist of Fate is particularly good where you are consistently able to damage a target below 35% health.  
      Power Infusion may be a contender where you are in desperate need of high, on-demand burst.
      Shadowy Insight is strong, but currently overshadowed by other talents.  Shadowy Insight is most useful on fights where you can have Shadow Word: Pain on multiple targets that live for a while and where those targets are not dipping below 35%.
      Tier 6 Talents:

• Cascade (25 second cooldown) causes you to hurl a Shadow bolt at an enemy that deals more damage the farther away the enemy is.  That bolt then splits up to 2 times to hit two other enemies.  Those bolts can then also each split up to 2 times to hit two more enemies each.  Cascade can hit the same enemy multiple times.
      • Divine Star (15 second cooldown) hurls a ball of shadowy energy forward, damaging all enemies in its path.  The ball then returns to you, again damaging all enemies in its path
      • Halo (40 second cooldown) causes a Shadow ring to emanate from you for 30-yards in all directions, damaging all enemies in its path.  Halo causes the most damage to enemies 25 yards away.

Your Tier 6 talent choice should be made on a fight-by-fight basis and only after considering a number of factors, including the number of targets on the fight and how long those targets will live.
      Halo is your default single-target choice in this tier.  It is also worth noting that, for purposes of Vampiric Embrace, Halo is considered single target damage.  If you are able to hit a large number of enemies with a well positioned Halo while Vampiric Embrace, you will heal your raid for a lot of health.
      Cascade is extremely strong against 2 or more targets.  As of 6.1, Cascade is able to hit the same target twice. Much of Cascade's strength is due to a number of peculiarities affecting Cascade's internal counter.  For instance, Cascade's first hit does not count toward the total number of bounces and the first hit does not count as a bounce.  Moreover, the bounce counter does not actually increment until Cascade hits the target.
      Divine Star is currently very weak, causing approximately the same damage as Mind Flay against single targets.  
      Tier 7 Talents:

Your Tier 7 talent choice should be made on a fight-by-fight basis and only after considering a number of factors, including the number of targets on the fight, how long those targets will live, and your critical strike rating.
      Taking either Clarity of Power and Auspicious Spirits will completely change the way you play your Shadow Priest.  The difference in playstyles between these two talents is so great that it will change the spells you are casting, how you prioritize which spells to cast, and even your secondary stat priorities.  I would treat these two talents as completely different specs in the same way that a Mage might treat Fire versus Arcane.  Accordingly, I will devote much larger sections of this guide to explaining how Clarity of Power and Auspicious Spirits work and how best to use them.  Void Entropy is simply less viable than the other two options.
      Clarity of Power is best on single-target, low movement fights.  Clarity of Power dramatically changes the Shadow Priest playstyle.  Instead of using primarily DoTs you will, instead, cast Mind Spike and Mind Blast much more often.  
      Auspicious Spirits becomes viable when you are able to reach the 20-25% critical strike threshold.  Auspicious Spirits is best on fights where you are able to apply Shadow Word: Pain to multiple targets.  Once you have Shadow Word: Pain on a large number of targets, you will begin to generate an equally large number of Shadow Orbs.
      Void Entropy is currently the worst of the three choices.  Although it received a substantial (80%) buff in 6.1, Void Entropy continues to lag behind the other choices in this Tier.   Despite Void Entropy's failings, it is, by and far, the easiest of the specs to play and may be useful to individuals who feel overwhelmed by the complexity of the other Tier 7 talents.

Major Glyphs

Minor Glyphs
      There are no minor glyphs that will increase your damage or survivability or otherwise change your gameplay. Go with whatever your heart desires.

Core Abilities

Passive Abilities

• Shadowform – Assume a Shadowform, increasing your Shadow damage by 25% and increasing your armor by 10%.  However, you may not cast most healing spells while in this form.  Shadowform is the corest of your core abilities.  It is, after all, what makes you a Shadow Priest.  Accordingly, you should always be in Shadowform while DPSing.  While Shadowform is, technically, an activated ability, it is a "set it and forget it" ability and is, thus, included in this list.  While the tooltip says “any healing spells,” you can still cast Desperate Prayer (Tier 1 Talent) while in Shadowform.  
      • Shadow OrbsShadow Orbs are your secondary resource and are generated by Mind Blast, Shadow Word: Death, and Auspicious Spirits (Tier 7 Talent).  Only three abilities consume Shadow Orbs: Devouring Plague, Psychic Horror, and Void Entropy (Tier 7 Talent).  The way you will primarily use Shadow Orbs in raiding is by casting Devouring Plague
      • Mastery: Mental Anguish – Increases the damage of your Mind Blast, Mind Spike, and Mind Flay spells by 25%.  Shadow Priest mastery was changed in Warlords of Draenor to be more geared toward single target damage.  See the Stat Priorities section below for more information on Shadow Priest stat values.
      • Mastermind – You gain 5% more haste rating from all sources.  The Mastermind passive simply causes you to generate 5% more haste rating from all sources.  See the Stat Priorities section below for more information on Shadow Priest stat values.

Activated Abilities

• Mind Blast (9 second base cooldown) – Blasts the target for (180% of Spell Power) and generates one Shadow Orb.  Mind Blast is your the main way you will generate your secondary resources.  Because of this, Mind Blast should be prioritized over almost every other spell in your arsenal.  See section Rotations/Priority Lists below.  While Mind Blast has a rather large base cooldown of 9 seconds, keep in mind that its cooldown is affected by haste.
      • Shadow Word: Death (8 second cooldown, 2 charges) – A word of dark binding that inflicts 270% Spell Power as Shadow Damage to the target.  Only usable on targets below 20% health unless glyphed.  Shadow Word: Death may be cast twice in a row and both casts will generate a Shadow Orb for level 100 players.  Shadow Word: Death is your secondary means of generating Shadow Orbs.  When used against targets below 20% health, Shadow Word: Death can be cast twice in a row.  Each of these casts will generate a Shadow Orb.  Because Shadow Word: Death deals such high damage and generates multiple Shadow Orbs, it should almost always be your highest priority spell. See section Rotations/Priority Lists below.  
      • Mind Flay (no cooldown) - Assault the target's mind with Shadow energy, causing (99% of Spell Power) as Shadow Damage over 3 sec and slowing their movement speed by 50%.  Mind Flay is your default filler spell, meaning you cast it when you have nothing else to do.  By default, Mind Flay deals damage 3 times during its channel.  When you gain the Draenor perk, Enhanced Mind Flay, your Mind Flay will instead deal damage 4 times.  
      • Mind Spike (no cooldown) – Blasts the target for 82.5% of Spell Power Shadowfrost damage, but extinguishes all damage over time effects on the target.   Although Mind Spike does more damage than Mind Flay, its drawback of extinguishing all DoTs on your target means it should only be cast in certain situations.  Mind Spike becomes your default filler spell (over Mind Flay) when using the Tier 7 talent Clarity of Power.  Mind Spike is also very useful for delivering a medium amount of on-demand damage to short-lived targets.  Because Mind Spike is “Shadowfrost” damage, you will still be able to cast it while locked out of your Shadow school. 
      • Shadow Word: Pain (no cooldown) – A word of darkness that causes 47.5% of Spell Power Shadow Damage immediately and 285% Spell Power as Shadow Damage over 18 seconds.  Importantly, Shadow Word: Pain has both a direct damage and damage over time component, thus making it a viable “filler” spell while moving.  Each time your Shadow Word: Pain periodic damage deals a critical strike, you will spawn one Shadowy Apparition, a ghost-like projectile that will move very slowly toward the target afflicted with Shadow Word: Pain and deal 45% of Spell Power as Shadow Damage upon reaching its target.  Shadowy Apparition can only spawn when the DoT component of Shadow Word: Pain does damage.  Shadowy Apparition will never spawn from the direct damage component of Shadow Word: Pain
      • Vampiric Touch (no cooldown) – Causes 292.5% of Spell Power as Shadow Damage over 15 seconds.  Vampiric Touch differs significantly from Shadow Word: Pain in that it is all DoT damage and it has a base cast time of 1.5 seconds.
      • Devouring Plague (no cooldown) – Consumes three Shadow Orb to deal (300% of Spell Power) Shadow damage and then an additional 100% of the initial damage over 6 seconds.  Heals the caster for 100% of damage done.  Devouring Plague, like Shadow Word: Pain, has both direct damage and damage over time components. Devouring Plague, however, functions very differently than all other Shadow Priest DoTs. Significantly, while the direct damage portion of Devouring Plague can crit and multistrike, the DoT ticks cannot.  However, if the direct damage component critically strikes, then the DoT component will inherit that damage. 
        For instance, if your Devouring Plague hits (non-crit) for 6,000 damage each of the 6 DoT ticks will deal 1,000 damage each.  However, if your Devouring Plague critically hits for 12,000 damage, each of the 6 DoT ticks will deal 2,000 damage each.
        Multistrikes from Devouring Plague function in a different way.  If you Devouring Plague hits for 6,000 and multistrikes for an additional 1,800 damage (multistrike always deal 33% of the original damage), your Devouring Plague's DoT component will tick a total of 7 times for 1,114.29 each ((6,000 + 1,800)/7) = 1,114.29.
        As we have noted above, Devouring Plague also differs from other DoTs in that it does not follow the Pandemic rule.  See subsection  DoT Clipping Has Been Improved under section What Changed in Warlords of Draenor, above.
      • Mind Sear (no cooldown) – Causes an explosion of Shadow magic around the target dealing damage to the enemy target and all other enemies within a 10 yard radius.  Although not noted on the tooltip, Mind Sear does deal damage on application.  However, this psuedo direct damage component will not re-trigger when you refresh a Mind Sear you are already channeling.  Interestingly, it will also not retrigger if using a /stopcasting macro.  The only way to get Mind Sear to trigger immediately is to cast something else, and then channel Mind Sear again.  Mind Sear may also be cast on a friendly target, such as a tank, but will not damage the friendly target.
      • Shadowfiend  (3 minute cooldown) – Creates a Shadowy friend that will attack your target for 12 seconds.  May be empowered by taking Mindbender (Tier 3 Talent).  Shadowfiend is a pet and will give you a pet action bar and pet frame.  However, its only ability, Shadowcrawl is turned on by default so you should not need to micromanage your Shadowfiend's abilities.  Shadowfiend (especially when enhanced by Mindbender) is the closest thing Shadow Priests have to an on-demand high burst ability.
      • Silence (45 second cooldown) – Silences a target, preventing them from casting spells for 5 seconds.  Non-player targets are also interrupted for 3 seconds.  Silence now also comes with an interrupt mechanic for non-player enemies.  This will allow Shadow Priests to assist in interrupting PvE mobs.  By taking Glyph of Silence, the cooldown on your Silence ability is reduced to 20 seconds.  While still longer than most interrupts in the game, Glyph of Silence may be valuable where your raid needs additional interrupts.
      • Dispersion (2 minute cooldown) – You disperse into pure Shadow energy for 6 seconds, reducing all damage taken by 90%, but you are unable to attack or cast spells.  Dispersion is an extremely powerful cooldown that will allow you to survive all but the highest damaging abilities.  Dispersion may be cast while stunned, feared, or silenced.  Dispersion clears all movement impairing effects and makes you immune to movement impairing effects for its duration.

Shadow Enhancements

Enhancements are gained at levels 92, 94, 96, and 98.  The order in which you gain enhancements is entirely random, but you are guaranteed to have all four when you hit level 98.

Stat Priorities

Individual Shadow Priests can vary greatly in how to evaluate stat priorities.  For this reason, I highly recommending downloading SimulationCraft and reading this easy to follow Guide by Twintop on how to sim your priest.  
      However, if you are looking for a more casual answer to "how good is each stat for Shadow" or you're looking for a good baseline for quick gearing decisions, Twintop has created an incredible resource that assigns a numerical value to each piece of gear (called "Psuedo-Power" or "PP") based upon a generic Shadow Priest.  
      Since the playstyle of Auspicious Spirits and Clarity of Power varies so drastically, each of these playstyles will also benefit from secondary stats in a different way.

Int = 1.00
      Spell Power = 0.91
      Crit = 1.07
      Haste = 0.84
      Mastery = 0.49
      Multistrike = 0.70
      Versatility = 0.65
      Crit (1.07) > Int (1.00) > Spell Power (.91) > Haste (.84) > Multistrike (.70) > Versatility (.65) > Mastery (.49)

Int = 1.00
      Spell Power = 0.91
      Crit = 0.76
      Haste = 0.85
      Mastery = 0.62
      Multistrike = 0.66
      Versatility = 0.64
      Int (1.00) > Spell Power (.91) > Haste (.85) > Crit (.76) > Multistrike (.66)  > Versatility (.64) > Mastery (.62)
      We can see the major stat priority differences between the two talents are with Critical Strike (very good for Auspicious Spirits and average for Clarity of Power).

• When swapping talents, your “combined” stat priorities are:

Int = 1.00
      Spell Power = 0.91
      Crit = 0.97
      Haste = 0.84
      Mastery = 0.55
      Multistrike = 0.71
      Versatility = 0.67
      Int (1.00) > Crit (.97) >  Spell Power (.91)  > Haste (.84) > Multistrike (.71) > Versatility (.67) > Mastery (.55)
      These stat priorities assume you will be swapping between Clarity of Power and Auspicious Spirits.  I recommend using these priorities for generic gear decisions.

Using the above Combined stat priorities list, enchanting and gemming your gear is simple.

• Weapon -

The best choice at medium gear levels in Warlords of Draenor is Mark of the Thunderlord (500 critical strike proc for 6 seconds, critical strikes may extend the duration).
      While the proc from Mark of the Thunderlord is very short, the first three critical strike you cause while Mark of the Thunderlord is active will cause its duration to be extended by 2 seconds (for a total duration of 12 possible seconds).  Accordingly, Mark of the Thunderlord scales extremely well with critical strike.
      Mark of the Thunderlord also scales well when you have multiple spells active that are capable of critical strikes.  For instance, if your target has 2 DoTs on it and you are casting a very fast Mind Flay, there is a high probability of extending the duration.
      A frequently asked question about this section of the guide is whether Mark of Warsong (1000 haste for 10 seconds, decreasing by 10% per second) is optimal for a Clarity of Power DoT Weaving rotation (See section Rotations/Priority Lists below).  The answer here is no, because the decreasing haste does not synergize well at all with the way Insanity works.
      Finally, players with very low critical strike chance (Mark of the Frostwolf (500 multistrike, stacking up to 2 times) the best option.

Using the same numbers above, we can assign a numerical value to each piece of gear (or, more accurately, Twintop has already done this and we are now shamelessly pilfering his work). 
      In many situations, a socket on gear is better than warforged.  Likewise, the existence of a socket or warforged on a piece of gear may bump it above another piece of gear.
      Tier 18
      Both the two and four piece Tier 18 bonuses are worth collecting as soon as possible.  The two piece bonuses provides approximately 351 PP while the two and four piece bonuses together combine for approximately 618 PP.
      Best In Slot (Combined Stat Priorities)
      This Best in Slot list uses the following "combined" stat priorities:
      Int (1.00) > Crit (.97) >  Spell Power (.91)  > Haste (.84) > Multistrike (.71) > Versatility (.67) > Mastery (.55)

• Best in Slot Tier 18 Setup [Total PP = 4472]

Head - Pious Cowl (Kormrok)
      Shoulders - Pious Mantle (Xhul'horac)
      Chest - Pious Raiment (Mannoroth)
      Hands - Pious Handwraps (Socrethar)
      Legs - Leggings of the Iron Summoner (Mannoroth)

• Second Best in Slot Tier 18 Setup [Total PP = 4371]

Head - Pious Cowl (Kormrok)
      Shoulders - Mantle of the Eradar Lord (Archimonde)
      Chest - Pious Raiment (Mannoroth)
      Hands - Pious Handwraps (Socrethar)
      Legs - Pious Leggings (Gorefiend)

• Third Best in Slot Tier 18 Setup [Total PP = 4365]

Head - Pious Cowl (Kormrok)
      Shoulders - Pious Mantle (Xhul'horac)
      Chest - Pious Raiment (Mannoroth)
      Hands - Satin Gloves of Injustice (Tyrant Velhari)
      Legs - Pious Leggings (Gorefiend)

• Best in Slot Non-Tier 

Neck - Glowing Firestone (Kormrok) [PP=475]
      Back - Cloak of Hideous Unity (Fel Lord Zakuun) [PP=491]
      Wrists - Contemptuous Wristguards (Tyrant Velhari) [PP=489]
      Belt - Cord of Unhinged Malice (Trash Drop) [PP=650]
      Feet - Bloody Dagger Heeled Pumps (Fel Lord Zakuun) [PP=683]
      Ring 1 - Seal of the Traitorous Councilor (Socrethar) [PP=496]
      Ring 2 - Nithramus, the All-Seer (Legendary) [PP=1168]

• Best in Slot Trinkets

Trinket 1 - Iron Reaver Piston (Iron Reaver) [PP=1005]
      Trinket 2 (single target) - Repudiation of War (Archimonde) [PP=847]
      Trinket 2 (two targets) - Unblinking Gaze of Sethe (Shadow-Lord Iskar) [PP=922]
      Trinket 2 (three+ targets) - Prophecy of Fear (Mannoroth) [PP=935]

• Best in Slot Weapons

Staff - Edict of Argus (Archimonde) [PP=3190]
      Mainhand - Gavel of Eredar (Archimonde) [PP=2697 MH + 466 OH = 3163 total]
      Offhand - Gibbering Madness (Gorefiend) 

Best in Slot (Auspicious Spirits Stat Priorities)
      In Development
      Best in Slot (Clarity of Power Stat Priorities)
      In Development

Rotations/Priority Lists

Each of the Shadow Tier 7 talents will dramatically change the way you play your Shadow Priest.  Consequently, I have given two of the three Tier 7 talents its own detailed section below.  The third Tier 7 talent, Void Entropy is so abysmally bad right now that I've decided to mostly exclude it for the time being.

Clarity of Power

Clarity of Power causes your Mind Spike, Mind Sear, and Shadow Word: Death spells to deal 40% additional damage against targets not affected by your Shadow Word: Pain or Vampiric Touch.
      Understanding Clarity of Power
      There are two basic phases in your Clarity of Power rotation: one, the "Orb Building" phase and, two, the “Dot Weave” phase.

• Orb Building Phase

During the first "Orb Building" phase, you will be using Mind Blast as often as possible to gain four Shadow Orbs.  Since both the Mind Blast cooldown and the global cooldown are affected by your haste, you will always be able to fit three global cooldowns between each Mind Blast.  When I say “global cooldowns” here, I actually mean spells that are either truly instant, such as Power Word: Shield, or spells with a base cast time of 1.5 seconds. 
      Your “Orb Building” phase is very simple and consists of a rotation that looks like this:

• Mind Blast -> Global -> Global -> Global -> Repeat

When you are able to stand still, the Globals above will almost all be Mind Spike:

It is worth noting that Power Word: Shield when glyphed with Glyph of Reflective Shield is, technically, higher DPS than Mind Spike if damage eats your entire shield.  Thus, if you can expect to take heavy damage within the next 15 seconds, it is better to use one of your global cooldowns on Power Word: Shield.
      With multiple targets (see below for further discussion), too, you will substitute Mind Spike for DoTs on off-targets.

• Dot Weave Phase

The second phase of the Clarity of Power begins when you have four Shadow Orbs.  During this phase we rely on the fact that your Shadow Word: Pain and Vampiric Touch, when cast in that order, will last for the same amount of time that it will take to cycle through the duration of back to back Devouring Plague + Insanity
      During the Dot Weave phase, you will apply your Shadow Word: Pain and Vampiric Touch before casting Devouring Plague and then casting Insanity.
      Though there are various versions of the Dot Weave rotation, the one I prefer is as follows:

Once you reach this point you will again return to the “Orb Building” phase.
      There are three things to note with the Dot Weave rotation.  First of all, you’re still casting Mind Blast on cooldown and you’re still fitting three global cooldowns between each Mind Blast cast.  Second, you're fitting exactly six Insanity ticks between each Devouring Plague.  If you end your channel too early, or fail to start a new channel while you still have your Shadow Word: Insanity buff, you may miss out on some of these ticks (see the section below entitled "Analyzing Your Clarity of Power Rotation in Warcraftlogs").

• Orb Building + Dot Weave Combined

When we combine these two phases, we get a rotation that look like this:

Clarity of Power Opening Rotation
      It is always a good idea to try to save up 5 Shadow Orbs before pull.  Doing so will change your opener and marginally increase DPS.
      With 5 Shadow Orbs

With 0 Shadow Orbs

Clarity of Power in Execute Range
      Once you hit your execute range (sub 20%) Clarity of Power gains a significant amount of damage.  Sub-20% you forego your normal Dot Weave and instead incorporate Shadow Word: Death into your rotation.  Since every cast of Shadow Word: Death generates a Shadow Orb, you will now generate three orbs every time you Mind Blast and double Shadow Word: Death.
      Sub 20%, your rotation begins to look much less like a rotation and more like a priority list consisting of:

The Clarity of Power execute phase is extremely fast paced and will consist almost entirely of rapid fire Devouring Plague, Mind Blast, and Shadow Word: Death spam.
      While Devouring Plague is listed as your highest priority, if you can avoid capping Shadow Orbs, you should not cast Devouring Plague until you can ensure that you will have enough time to channel Insanity until one of your Shadow Orb generating abilities comes off cooldown.
      This rotation will change slightly with your Tier 17 two-piece bonus because you will want to apply Devouring Plague while your Mind Blast still has at least two global cooldowns worth of time left on its cooldown.
      Clarity of Power with Multiple Targets
      With two or three targets, your Clarity of Power rotation stays basically the same except you will want to prioritize keeping your Shadow Word: Pain and Vampiric Touch on off-targets over casting Mind Spike.
      With two targets, for instance, your three globals in between each Mind Blast might look something more like this (I’m going to use abbreviations here for sake of room):

With three targets, your rotation, again, just changes to prioritize off-target dotting over Mind Spike.  Thus, your three target rotation might be:

Clarity of Power AOE
      If much of this section sounds repetitive of the Auspicious Spirits AOE section, that is because it is.  Many of the tips and tricks applicable to AOEing as a Shadow Priest are independent of your level 100 talent choice.
      With four or more targets, your rotation will change to incorporate Searing Insanity and Mind Sear.

• You will continue to cast Mind Blast and Shadow Word: Death to generate Shadow Orbs and you will continue to cast Devouring Plague to ensure your Insanity buff does not fall off.
      • Ensure that you are saving Shadow Orbs in anticipation of large AOE damage phases to guarantee that you will be able to properly maintain Searing Insanity as much as possible.
      • If adds are spread out and have a medium amount of health, treat them as you would any other off-target on the priority list with one exception: if the add will die in 10 seconds or less, do no DoT them.
      • Remember both Searing Insanity and Mind Sear will deal immediate damage on application.
      • Remember Searing Insanity can be used in the same way as Insanity in that you can clip it at the end to get another, full channel in.

Your choice of level 90 talents will be dictated by two factors: how spread out the adds are and how often the adds spawn:

• When adds are spread out or when adds are clumped and spawn once every 25-39 seconds, use Cascade.
      • When adds are clumped together and spawn once every 40+ seconds, use Halo.

Clarity of Power While Moving
      Since we’re not in an ideal world, you will likely have to move occasionally on fights.  When this happens, you will have to rely on your myriad of instant cast spells to get you to your next Mind Blast cooldown.
      At this point, it’s easier to represent what you will cast while moving with a priority system:

I've left a sort of nebulous "Various Instant Cast Spells" as part of your priority list and I realize that's not especially helpful.  However, it is incorrect to say that Halo, for instance, will ever be part of your movement priority list because, oftentimes, you want to save Halo for a time when there are multiple mobs alive or when you can position yourself more optimally with relation to the boss.  Similarly, Shadowfiend is a long cooldown that will require a bit more thought than a simplified priority list can provide.
      Clarity of Power With Tier 18
      In Development

Clarity of Power With Tier 17
      The Priest Tier 17 set, Soul Priest's Raiment, provides two set bonuses that will slightly alter the way you play Clarity of Power.

The first set bonus will change the way you DoT Weave.  Basically, every time you apply Devouring Plague, the remaining cooldown on your Mind Blast  will be reduced by 1.5 seconds.   Thus, you will want to apply Devouring Plague when the cooldown on Mind Blast is >= 1.5 seconds.
      Your DoT Weave rotation with 2 piece Tier 17 will be:

When casting your final set of Insanity, you may find it is impossible, due to a combination of haste and latency, to reapply Insanity before your Insanity buff falls off.  In these situations, it is better to allow Insanity to tick 4 total times and then simply either begin your Orb Building phase again by casting Mind Spike or by casting a filler GCD spell (such as Power Word: Shield or your Tier 6 talent) to allow your Mind Blast to come off cooldown.  Unfortunately, if you are forced to cast Mind Spike your DoTs will not tick to their full duration.

• 4 piece: Each time Devouring Plague deals damage over time, your haste increases by 1% for 4 sec, stacking up to 12 times.

While the 4 piece set bonus is a significantly larger DPS gain than the 2 piece, it has a much smaller effect on your Dot Weave rotation. The only change you should be able to account for with the 4 piece set bonus is that, instead of ending your final channel of Insanity at 2 ticks, you will be able to chain it again for another 4 ticks.
      Your Dot Weave rotation with 4 piece Tier 17 will be:

As you can see, the only difference between this rotation and the 2 piece rotation is the very last line. As one final note, depending on your latency, it may be impossible for you to get the final Insanity (4 ticks). If this is the case, it is better to just use the 2 piece rotation.
      Clarity of Power With Haste
      Building on what I wrote above, as you get more gear in Blackrock Foundry, you will quickly reach very high haste levels.  This, combined with the effects of Heroism, will cause you to easily jump above 50% haste and, consequently, cause your 1.5 second cast spells to cast more quickly than the 1.0 seconds global cooldown threshhold.  
      During these periods of extreme haste, you may even run into the situation where you need only two globals between each of your Mind Blasts.  Obviously, more Mind Blasts are better, so you should continue prioritizing casting Mind Blast as often as possible.
      Clarity of Power Priority Tree
      The priority tree below is a first attempt at visualizing the Clarity of Power priority list.  It is imperfect.  It cannot, for instance, account for certain fight-specific decisions like whether you should Halo or Shadowfiend or gain a movement speed increase with Angelic Feather.  
      Analyzing Your Clarity of Power Rotation in Warcraftlogs
      One of the biggest failings of many new players to Clarity of Power is ensuring that they’re getting their full six ticks of Insanity.  If you are using, you can easily look to see if you are getting the correct number of Insanity ticks. 
      First, find the log you want to analyze. Next, click the priest’s name and then click “Damage Done” tab then click the “Events” button.
      Next, find the “Filter Expression” box and copy and paste the following:

isMultistrike = false and ( = "Insanity" or = "Mind Blast" or ( = "Devouring Plague" and isTick = false))

(All credit for this code goes to Hygeia for the work on this thread.)
      Finally, you will find your first cast of Devouring Plague.  Then, count the number of “Insanity” ticks before you cast your next Devouring Plague.  If you are doing your rotation perfectly, you will get 6 Insanity ticks between each Devouring Plague.
      As an example, here is a snippet from my Blackhand log:
      From this screenshot, I played reasonably well and was able to get six ticks of Insanity between each cast of Devouring Plague.
      What you really want here is to be getting six Insanity ticks the majority of the time.  Invariably, you will need to move early or respond to a fight mechanic and clip your Insanity early, which will cut your number of ticks down to five or even four.  As long as this isn’t happening the majority of the time, you should be fine.

Auspicious Spirits

Auspicious Spirits empowers your Shadow Apparitions to deal 100% extra damage and grant you one Shadow Orb.   You spawn one Shadow Apparitions each time the DoT component of Shadow Word: Pain critically strikes.
      Understanding Auspicious Spirits
      The Auspicious Spirits talent brings with it a more traditional approach to playing your Shadow Priest.  Unlike the Clarity of Power play style, there are no separate phases where you will use different spells.  
      Since you generate one Shadow Orb every time your Shadow Word: Pain critically strikes, Auspicious Spirits will become particularly attractive in two scenarios: one, where you have high critical strike rating and, two, where you have multiple targets that you are keeping Shadow Word: Pain on.  When you satisfy both of these conditions, Auspicious Spirits will become truly ridiculous.
      With the help of some excellent work by Charuo on HowToPriest, we know that that at approximately 20-25% critical strike Auspicious Spirits will surpass Clarity of Power in terms of Shadow Orb generation. Keep in mind that this does not mean Auspicious Spirits will necessarily always do more damage than Clarity of Power in these situations, but only that you will, on average, generate more Shadow Orbs.  
      Auspicious Spirits Complimentary Talents
      Auspicious Spirits works particularly well with all of the Tier 3 talents, Surge of Darkness and Mindbender.  and Insanity.  
      Surge of Darkness is best with two (or 3, if your critical strike chance is below 20% raid buffed) targets and heavy movement.  
      Mindbender is your talent choice where you are simply so overwhelmed with the number of Shadow Orbs you are gaining that you can’t spare the globals to cast Mind Spike.  Figuring out which fights need Mindbender is dependent upon your skill, your critical strike chance, and the total number of targets you are keeping multiple DoTs on.  
      Insanity is best on single target fights or on fights with short-lived adds because of Searing Insanity.
      Auspicious Spirits Priority List
      Auspicious Spirits, much moreso than Clarity of Power, really cannot be described as having a "rotation" because generation of Shadow Orbs is so dynamic.  Auspicious Spirits, consequently, lends itself much more to a priority list. Moreover, the Auspicious Spirits priority list will change depending on what other talents you have selected.
      With Mindbender:

With Surge of Darkness:

With Insanity:

In all of these priority lists, Devouring Plague is listed at the top.  This is slightly misleading.  Devouring Plague becomes the highest priority, for all players, when you either have five Shadow Orbs or when you have enough Shadow Apparitions hurtling toward your target that you will go over five Shadow Orbs before you are next able to cast Devouring Plague.  Both of these rules come down to one core concept: don't waste orbs!
      With that in mind, the actual priority level of Devouring Plague should be based upon a reasonable evaluation of your ability to react quickly enough not to waste Shadow Orbs.  Thus, if you are fully capable of wasting zero Shadow Orbs, you can safely cast your Devouring Plague at five Shadow Orbs each and every time.  If you're slightly more mortal, consider using Devouring Plague at three to four Shadow Orbs.
      If you find that you are unable to accurately account for every Shadow Apparition, consider visiting the section below entitle WeakAuras and trying out the Shadow Apparition tracker.
      Auspicious Spirits Opening Rotation
      It is always a good idea to try to save up 5 Shadow Orbs before pull.  Doing so will change your opener and marginally increase DPS.
      With 5 Shadow Orbs

With 0 Shadow Orbs

Auspicious Spirits AOE
      If much of this section sounds repetitive of the Clarity of Power AOE section, that is because it is.  Many of the tips and tricks applicable to AOEing as a Shadow Priest are independent of your level 100 talent choice.
      With four or more targets, your rotation will change to incorporate Searing Insanity and Mind Sear.

• You will continue to cast Mind Blast and Shadow Word: Death to generate Shadow Orbs and you will continue to cast Devouring Plague to ensure your Insanity buff does not fall off.
      • Ensure that you are saving Shadow Orbs in anticipation of large AOE damage phases to guarantee that you will be able to properly maintain Searing Insanity as much as possible.
      • If adds are spread out and have a medium amount of health, treat them as you would any other off-target on the priority list with one exception: if the add will die in 10 seconds or less, do no DoT them.
      • Auspicious Spirits Specific Guideline:  When you have Shadow Word: Pain on a high number of targets, you will quickly reach a point where you are using all of your free globals casting Devouring Plague.  Make sure you review the rules regarding re-application of Devouring Plague.
      • Auspicious Spirits Specific Guideline:  Even though your usual primary consideration for what level 45 talent to take is based upon the number of consistent targets (i.e.: targets you can keep Shadow Word: Pain on), your decision may change to favor Insanity if the fight calls for heavy AOE damage.
      • Remember both Searing Insanity and Mind Sear will deal immediate damage on application.
      • Remember Searing Insanity can be used in the same way as Insanity in that you can clip it at the end to get another full channel in.

Your choice of level 90 talents will be dictated by two factors: how spread out the adds are and how often the adds spawn:

• When adds are spread out or when adds are clumped and spawn once every 25-39 seconds, use Cascade.
      • When adds are clumped together and spawn once every 40+ seconds, use Halo.

Auspicious Spirits With Tier 18
      In Development
      Auspicious Spirits Priority Tree
      The following priority tree is a basic attempt to visualize your priority list with Auspicious Spirits.  It does not, as of yet, account for any of your Tier 3 talents.
      * Given perfect knowledge, your decision on whether or not to Devouring Plague at three/four Shadow Orbs is dependent upon not whether you have simply spawned Shadowy Apparitions, but when those Shadowy Apparitions will hit their target and generate a Shadow Orbs.  Given that Shadowy Apparitions move very slowly (slightly slower than run speed), you could easily fit Shadow Orb generators in between the time it takes for the Shadowy Apparitions to collide with the target.
      ** Currently, SimCraft action priority lists (APLs) have Shadow Word: Death above maintaining your 4 piece bonus.  However, running personal simulations of my Shadow Priest gave me a slight DPS boost where I maintained 4 piece above Shadow Word: Death.  I do not believe there is any circumstance where Mind Blast will be preferred over maintaining the 4 piece bonus.
      *** Account for Pandemic when making this decision.
      Clipping Your Devouring Plague
      We already covered this above, but I just want to reemphasize that Devouring Plague is not like other DoTs when it comes to clipping.  Unlike normal DoTs, such as Shadow Word: Pain, Devouring Plague does not use the Pandemic rule for refreshing the DoT.  
      Instead, if you refresh Devouring Plague, the remaining Devouring Plague ticks (all of them, not just 30%) will be added to the total damage of the next Devouring Plague and conserved over 7 total ticks.  
      This is even true if you refresh over a Devouring Plague with enhancements, such as trinket procs, spellpower potions, etc.
      This is good news for Auspicious Spirits because you will oftentimes find that you have generated three Shadow Orbs before your old Devouring Plague has expired.
      See also subsection DoT Clipping Has Been Improved under section What Changed in Warlords of Draenor and the Devouring Plague section of Core Abilities for additional information on exactly how Devouring Plague functions.
      Analyzing Your Auspicious Spirits Rotation in
      One of the main ways to lose significant DPS with Auspicious Spirits is to waste Shadow Orb generating abilities.  This occurs most often in one of three ways: one, you simply have too many Shadow Apparitions in the air and no amount of button mashing will prevent a loss of Shadow Orb; or, two, you are not responding quickly enough to the number of Shadow Apparitions in the air; or, three, you are using another Shadow Orb generating ability while capped on Shadow Orb.  The first of these three situations is nigh unpreventable.  The other two, however, are very preventable.
      WarcraftLogs provides an easy tool to analyze whether you are wasting secondary resources.  First, select the fightlog you want to analyze.  Next, select the priest you are analyzing.
      When you have completed those preliminary steps you will, 1.) click the "Resources" tab; 2.) click the resources dropdown and select "Shadow Orbs"; and, 3.) scroll down to see generated and wasted resources.

As we can see from the above picture, I wasted 2 of the 54 Shadow Orbs I generated with Auspicious Spirits.  Fortunately, I played a little bit better with Mind Blast and Shadow Word: Death and managed to waste 0 Shadow Orbs there.

Void Entropy

Void Entropy is currently extremely weak when compared to the other two Tier 7 talents.  However, Void Entropy may offer an easier to play version of the Shadow Priest, which might appeal to beginner players.  
      Unfortunately, nothing I do in game really calls for me to play Void Entropy.  If you would like to write a section on Void Entropy, I'd be more than happy to include your section in this guide with full credit to you as author (I also reserve the right to reject any Void Entropy guide that I feel does not properly address the talent in full or simply feels out of place in this guide).

The aim of the macro section of this guide is to provide you with some of the more common Shadow Priest macros, as well as give you a basic understanding of why the macros work the way they do.
      For more in depth analysis of macros, you should check out Elvenbane's Priest Macros or this post by Eléctrica on the official EU forums, both of which have a much more detailed and nuanced discussion of how and why macros work. 
      Mouseover Macros
      The macros I find most important are mouseover macros.  Mouseover macros, as the name suggests, allow you to cast spells on the target that you are currently mousing over.  You can mouseover enemies themselves, enemy nameplates, and any in-game unit frame, including boss frames, target of target frames, etc.
      The basic formatting for a mouseover macro is easy:

/cast [@mouseover,nodead,harm][] <spell name>

This macro will cast at your mouseover target if it 1) is alive and 2) is hostile to you.  If both of these conditions are not met, you will cast at your target.
      Using an actual spell, this macro will look like this:

/cast [@mouseover,nodead,harm][] shadow word: pain

Focus Macros
      The second set of macros I use allows me to use a modifier to cast at my focus target.
      The basic formatting for focus macros is:

/cast [mod:<modifier>,@focus,nodead,harm][] <spell name>

This macro will cast at your focus target if 1) you are holding the , 2) the target is not dead, and 3) the target is hostile to you.  Your modifier can be shift, ctrl, or alt.  When using modifiers, ensure that the keybinding you choose to use is not already bound to another ability.  This is particularly true with shift and control modifiers since shift 1-6 is bound to action pages and control 1-6 are bound to pet actions.
      Using an actual spell and modifier, this macro will look like this:

/cast [mod:shift,@focus,nodead,harm][] shadow word: pain

Combined Macros
      I, personally, use a combination of the above two systems for the majority of my macros.  I also use the fairly odd modifier, alt.
      The template for focus/mouseover macros is:

/cast [mod:<modifier>,@focus,nodead,harm][@mouseover,nodead,harm][] <spell name>

Using an actual spell and modifier, my macros almost all look like this:

/cast [mod:alt,@focus,nodead,harm][@mouseover,nodead,harm][] shadow word: pain

For easy copy/paste, here are my other Mouseover/Focus macros:

/cast [mod:alt,@focus][@mouseover,nodead,harm][] vampiric touch
      /cast [mod:alt,@focus][@mouseover,nodead,harm][] devouring plague
      /cast [mod:alt,@focus][@mouseover,nodead,harm][] shadow word: death

Misc. Other Macros
      If you have a particularly awesome macro, feel free to post it in the comments below and I'll add it here.\

• Cancel Dispersion Macro

There are two ways to go about the cancel dispersion macro.  One, you can macro it into the dispersion, like so:

/cancelaura dispersion
      /cast dispersion

This macro will cancel dispersion if it's already been cast and, otherwise, cast dispersion.  
      I don't particularly like this version of the macro because I'm a button masher and I tend to just immediately cancel dispersion as soon as I cast it.  Which brings me to the second way to macro dispersion: simply add /cancelaura dispersion to any of your other abilities.  For instance, I have /cancelaura dispersion in my Mind Blast macro:

/cancelaura dispersion
      /cast [mod:alt,@focus,nodead,harm][] mind blast
      • Level 90 Talent Macro with Mouseover Cascade

Level 90 talent macros are not strictly mandatory anymore.  However, this macro introduces the added benefit of mouseover for your Cascade.

/cast [talent:6/1,@mouseover,harm,nodead] [talent:6/1] Cascade; [talent:6/2] Divine Star; [talent:6/3] Halo
      • Fancy Power Word: Shield Macro

This macro will prioritize casting PW:S in the following way: on the player if alt is held down, on the mouseover target if it is alive friendly, on the target if it is friendly, on the targetoftarget if the target is hostile.

/cast [mod:alt,@player][@mouseover,nodead,help][help][@targettarget,help][] power word: shield
      • Mouseover Leap of Faith Macro

A simple mouseover macro for Leap of Faith.

/cast [@mouseover,nodead,help][] leap of faith

Addons allow you to customize and simplify the game.  There are, quite literally, thousands upon thousands of addons written to simplify (or complicate) your gameplay.  I am attempting to restrict this section to addons that have some effect on raiding generally or, even better, on Shadow Priests specifically.  
      If I have listed your addon and you would like me to link somewhere else (or link to your personal website/twitter) feel free to message me on these forums.
      If you've written an addon you would like listed here, please send me a message with the necessary details.
      Personal Addons
      These are addons I personally use and I can, therefore, vouch for their efficacy:

• ElvUI.  Elv is an complete replacement to the standard UI.  It has too many features to properly list here, but I highly recommend it.
      • WeakAuras.  WeakAuras is an extremely potent addon that allows you to do basically anything in game.  I have dedicated an entire section of this guide to WeakAuras specifically, and I recommend checking it out below. 
      • Deadly Boss Mods.  DBM is an incredibly potent tool that provides notifications when something important is happening or will happen.  
      • Skada.  Skada is a light weight damage meter and reporting tool.  
      • HaloPro.  HaloPro is an incredibly useful addon for determining the optimal range for casting Halo.
      • ClassTimer.  ClassTimer is a little archaic and not designed specifically for Shadow Priests and the reason I use it is 1) because I've been using it for years and 2) it is exceptionally easy to add additional buffs and debuffs that are important to you.  All of that being said, however, I do recommend checking out some of the Shadow Priest specific DoT Timers before using ClassTimer.

Other Addons
      These are addons that I do not personally use, but that are highly recommended by the community:

• Shadow Priest DoT Timer.  The name basically says it all.  This is an all-purpose DoT Timer designed specifically for Shadow Priests.
      • SPTimers.  Maintained by Alae from HowToPriest, SPTimers is another DoT Timer built specifically with Shadow Priests in mind.
      • Conspicuous Spirits.  Maintained by Lleaf from HowToPriest, Conspicuous Spirits allows you to more easily track your Shadowy Apparitions when using the talent Auspicious Spirits.  

WeakAuras is an addon that provides near limitless functionality.  While I do not use it as extensively as many, I do have a few favorite WeakAuras that I'm sharing below.  If you have other WeakAuras that you would like included here, feel free to comment below or send me a private message.

• Auspicious Spirits Tracker

This WeakAura will track the number of active Shadowy Apparitions.  The number counter text will turn red when your total number of Shadow Orbs + number of Shadowy Apparitions is greater than 5.
      This AS Spirits Tracker is courtesy of Twintop.  Additional TwinTop WeakAuras are available here.

• Shadowy Insight Tracker

Also a Twintop WeakAura, this WA will do the following:
      Shows the current remaining duration and stack count of the Shadow T17 4P bonus. The timer and stack counter change color depending on a few conditions:

• The timer is white when the time remaining is above 2 GCDs (I.E.: don't cast Devouring Plague yet, you'll waste bonus uptime!).
      • The timer is red when the time remaining is between 2/3 GCDs and 2 GCDs (I.E.: the time it would take a new Devouring Plague cast to tick once, and, 2 GCDs, a window of 4/3 GCDs to cast a new Devouring Plague to keep your stacks up).
      • The timer is grey when the time remaining is below 2/3 GCDs (I.E.: you can't refresh the stack count).
      • The stack count is white when between 1 and 11, green when at 12 (to show you're at max stacks).

• Shadowy Insight Tracker

This WeakAura will watch for Shadowy Insight procs.

• Surge of Darkness Tracker

This WeakAura will track how many Surge of Darkness procs you have active.

• Shadowform Tracker

Probably the most complicated WeakAura ever written, this will remind you of how big an idiot you are whenever you're not in Shadowform.  (This WeakAura was originally written as a joke, but I'll be damned if it hasn't helped me remember to go back into Shadowform).

Copyright and Redistribution

Shadow Priest PvE Primer (the "Guide"), and all associated images, unless otherwise specified, are copyright © 2015 Speakeasy (@sp_speakeasy), all rights reserved.
      Anyone may use portions of the Guide, or any images contained therein, so long as the copied materials remain unchanged and contain a link back to the Guide.

Credits and Thanks

• Big thanks to Drye and Twintop for their work at
      • Thanks to Constie (and those who came before him) for the official forum Shadow Priest guide.
      • Thanks to Settesh for napkin theorycrafting in the middle of raids with me.
      • Thanks to Mentor and Haley for reviewing this guide to ensure there weren't too, too many grammatical errors.  And thanks to Torreya for song recommendations.
      • Thanks to ProfessorQ, Elvenbane, Hygeia, Zereges, Nyth, Servi, Zione, and the whole howtopriest for their corrections, recommendations, and outstanding content.
      • Charuo for his thread on HowToPriest mathing out Auspicious Spirits.

• Videos of all rotations.
      • Repudiation of War inclusion in all relevant sections.

Change Log

• 6/23 - Major 6.2 Changes
        • Section "What Changed in Warlords of Draenor" updated to include 6.2 information.
        • Section "Stat Priorities" completely updated to include 6.2 information
        • Section "Enchanting/Gemming/Consumables" now includes +75 stat gems and permanent augment rune.
        • Section "Gearing" updated to include 6.2 information and to changed to present information in a different way.
        • Section "Encounter Guide" will now always be a separate post.
        • Added various new sections with the In Development tag below them.  These sections, as you may have guessed, are in development.  Unlike most new/changed sections, the "In Development" sections will NOT be in red until they receive actual content.
        • Major formatting changes to make large edits easier to port between EJ and H2P.
      • 5/16 - Housekeeping and additional sections
        • AOE Rotations Added
        • Opening Rotations Added
        • More 6.2 Information Added
        • Added an Understanding Auspicious Spirits section to more closely align it with the COP section.
      • 5/13 - Housekeeping and new sections
        • Added Addons Area (anticipate additional addendums as appropriate)
        • Added a WeakAura
        • Updated a few other little things.
      • 5/3 - Housekeeping and minor information
        • Added a Copyright and Redistribution section.
        • Acknowledged some of the fine folks who have pointed out mistakes and helped clarify some issues.
        • Modified the Encounter Guide to reflect some recommendations.
        • Added a "Golden Rules" of DPS to the Encounter Guide
      • 4/14 - Housekeeping and 6.2 beginning
        • Auspicious Spirits Priority Tree
        • Added a 6.2 section.
        • Modified the CoP with Tier 17 section.
        • Corrected a few errors.
      • 4/2
        • More major changes to the Core Abilities section.
      • 4/1
        • Major revisions to the following sections:  What Change in Warlords of Draenor?, Talents, Glyphs, Core Abilities, Enchanting/Gemming/Consumables, Gearing, Clarity of Power, Auspicious Spirits, and Void Entropy.  
      • 3/30
        • Macros
        • Added an "Addons" section to be completed later.
        • WeakAuras
        • WarcraftLogs AS analysis.
      • 3/26
        • Added two sections for COP - COP with Tier 17 and COP with increasing values of haste.
      • 2/25 - Major 6.1 Revisions:
        • Moved the "Coming in 6.1" section into the "Warlords of Draenor Changes" section.
        • Updated spell descriptions to include the new spells.
        • Updated stat priority lists.  Reworked the presentation of some stat priority lists.
        • Fully reviewed the Best in Slot list.  Nothing changed except we now have data for the 710 legendary ring.
        • Many, many link fixes.  
      • 2/18 - Various formatting and grammar fixes.