• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Devizz

Devizz

Glass Joe

• • Guide Author
  • 10 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 02:53 PM

A rather simple guide or rather sort of analysis, maybe some people will find this helpful. Taken from: http://devizzlive.blogspot.com

Some people asked me, when does crit damage become more valuable than crit chance and vice versa. Well, both stats are affected by each other and their actual value might differ depending on your personal stats.

By default, every class has base critical hit chance of 5% and critical hit damage of 50%.

Now, assuming that you increase them both proportionally, their value will remain the same. So, to make them most effective, you stats should progress in the following way:

10% Chc and 100% Chd
20% Chc and 200% Chd
30% Chc and 300% Chd
40% Chc and 400% Chd
50% Chc and 500% Chd

and so on...

Now lets take a look at the following example:

Lets assume that your current crit chance is at 10% and Chd at 100%.

Increasing your Chd by 200% will give you the same net gain in DPS as increasing your Chc by 20%

On the other hand, if you will increase your Chd by 100% and your Chc by 10%, you DPS will increase by TWICE as much.

And thus we are arrive at a simple conclusion: By balancing your crit damage and crit chance, you will gain more DPS than by simply stacking one of the two stats.

The above conclusion might of course vary from class to class, depending on what buffs your class has. Remember to take them into account when deciding whether to go for Chd or Chc.

Also, when you are deciding whether to roll Chd or Chc on an item, be sure to know what max rolls you can get on the said item. For this purpose, I advise you to make yourself familiar with the following website: http://www.d3maxstats.com/ (it does the job quite nicely and is relatively easy to use, with clean and simple user interface).

For example, you might want to increase your EHP by getting more vitality. If you have 50% Chd or 6% Chc on your ring, you should probably not replace any of these stats with vitality. Instead, you're better of getting rid of your weapon with 30-35% Chd. If you are using a weapon with the following stats: a socket, 650-750 primary stat and 30-35% Chd, you probably have no vitality on it. If your other weapon with potential vitality has same weapon DMG, you will gain more DPS by equipping that weapon and replacing your 30-35% ChD with 650-750 vitality. This is just an example to show you how important it is to know highest possible rolls in Diablo on all types of items.

Posted Image
Going to play Crusader on HARDCORE, 48 hour long

marathon upon the release of RoS!

Posted Image

#2 anregen

anregen

Glass Joe

• New Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 07:13 PM

Increasing your Chd by 200% will give you the same net gain in DPS as increasing your Chc by 20%

That checks

On the other hand, if you will increase your Chd by 100% and your Chc by 10%, you DPS will increase by TWICE as much.

My formula doesn't agree.  I'm using the idea that chc% of the time, you crit for (base_dps*chd%), the remainder of the time (100%-chc%) you hit for base dps.  Also baked in here is that the chc% is based on crits per second, NOT crits per hit, or crits per swing.  So I end up with

new_dps = (base_dps * (100%-chc%) + (base_dps*chc%*chd%)

in your example: starting with chc=10% chd=100% and you have enough paragon points to get either chc+20% or chd+200% (which is also same cost for +10% and +100%)

chc:10%, chd: 100% --> dps 110% (starting condition)

chc: 30%, chd: 100% --> dps 130% (20% increase)

chc: 10%, chd 300% --> dps 130% (20% increase)

chc: 20%, chd 200% --> dps 140% (30% increase, or 50% better than loading one alone)

So I agree that it is a lot better to keep them balanced, but it is not a 2x improvement.  Unless my math is wrong?

Also, here's my table.  Top row is chd%  (note that in this table 200% means 2x dmg.  In the equations from OP and above, I used 100% means 100% bonus for 2x dmg).  I highlighted in orange a section that has the same cost in terms of paragon points, then in green the values that give the best ROI.

That worked like poo.  I'll post a gspreadsheet or something...

https://docs.google....dit?usp=sharing

I've never tried to share a gdoc like this, feedback appreciated if this works or not.

Also notice on that chart that if you're currently unbalanced due to gear, the best way to spend your next paragon point between chc/chd is to move closer to the 1:10 balance line.

Edited by anregen, 02 July 2014 - 07:34 PM.

#3 anregen

anregen

Glass Joe

• New Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 07:41 PM

If your other weapon with potential vitality has same weapon DMG, you will gain more DPS by equipping that weapon and replacing your 30-35% ChD with 650-750 vitality. This is just an example to show you how important it is to know highest possible rolls in Diablo on all types of items.

I don't understand this one at all.  I think you're saying these are two weapons with same advertised dps.  One has 650-750 Vit, the other has 30-35%chd.  Using the one with Vit gives you better resulting dps???

Edited by anregen, 02 July 2014 - 07:41 PM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users