homezonebenny

Glass Joe

• New Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 07:10 PM

Hi,

is there a way to do this:

http://i.imgur.com/5OBbORV.jpg

I just tried to get a "sound notification" when the other tank have X-Stacks of something.

But what I get is a sound for each new stack.

Like when I want to taunt on 15 stacks at Malkorok then I get 15 times a sound....

But what I want is just ONE sound when the stack count is what I'm looking for.

Is there already a way to do this?! Ó.ò

If not, it would be pretty helpfull if you guys would implement it this way.

That you can manually set a stack count for the notification to "taunt" :)

What we (i) need is:

- Play a sound when I have X stacks of something (boss debuff).

- Play a sound (another sound for sure), when the other tank have X stacks of something (boss debuff).

So, when I hear the sound that I have X stacks, I can tell the other tank in TeamSpeak TAUNT TAUNT.

When I hear the sound, that HE have X stacks I can taunt automatically.

Especially with random flex groups, you mostly don't use TeamSpeak. So you need to know about stacks.

And I don't like the /focus on the other tank, because I use /focus for other things in my UI :-\

Hope someone can help me.

Or perhaps, if you like the idea you can implement it into DBM!

Greetings

Benny

Attached Files

#2 MysticalOS

MysticalOS

French Hacker

• ♦ Administrators
  • 1146 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 15 July 2014 - 07:36 PM

It really doesn't need to be done. You get the sound when it's correct time to taunt. It's not a pre warning, dbm detects you have no debuff and it's time for you to taunt the boss back, period. If your debuff fell off you should be taunting not letting the other tank get even more stacks and risk his death. The stack counts are based on my own tanking and testing and knowing when stacks fall off and when the best stack count to taunt is.

I'm even lenient with some or do taunt DR testing like garrosh which is why even though you can swap at 3 stacks i set it to 4 because if you do keep swapping at 3 stacks, he'll go taunt immune and then someone ends up with 6 stacks as a result. The taunt numbers are the optimal numbers and I feel changing them is counter intuitive. Letting players do it a worse way is less than ideal, especially if they don't know the numbers as well as I do.

Also the malk example doesn't actually warn every stack it warns every 3 stacks other tank gets when you aren't debuffed. If you are hearing alert more than once then you are really letting the other tank get too many stacks.

There may be specific strategies that are used to game vengeance or adjusting timings, but they are niche and generally not the common strategy. When I tank Malorok for example, I let the other tank go to 15-18 stacks just before blood rage so when I taunt for the blood rage phase, I have no debuffs (so I can solo tank it with CDs). That's an untypical strat and not reason enough to alter the way the taunt options work though. Especially since what you propose adds a lot of extra complexity to GUI that may be difficult to implement. The sound drop downs are ugly enough (but were a great necessity)

Basically though, the first time you hear the alert, it's time to taunt. If you are hearing it for multiple times, it just doesn't make sense why you are sitting there so long undebuffed and not taunting when you're supposed to.

Some fights are a little tricky still, like thok, and I'm aware of that. Where it may tell you to taunt even if you have a debuff (you took a stack refresh by accident in front of boss and now you can't taunt at 2-3 stacks cause yours are also at 2-3 stacks and refreshed). That's an unfixable situation though and only happens because of tank mistakes I can't really account for in DBM.

Why do you need to focus the other tank? DBM literally checks the debuffs for you and says when to taunt. you don't even have to see the other tanks debuff at all. If you do need to know count though, like 99% of the mods actually announce debuff stacks on tanks as general announces if enabled.

- Play a sound when I have X stacks of something (boss debuff).
- Play a sound (another sound for sure), when the other tank have X stacks of something (boss debuff).

This is already supported. It's exact reason why I split all the tank debuffs into "warn for x stacks on me" and "show warning when I need to taunt". They are two different warnings and you can set two different sounds. In fact. I do on every fight. I have a siren go off for taunts and standard pvp sound for my own stacks. there were some fights that used a combined waring like norushen and sha of pride initially but I refactored the mods and split them to conform to my tank warning standards of two warnings, two sounds so there shouldn't be any fights in there at all that don't have two warnings options.
Just watch any one of my videos and you'll see me tanking with two different sounds. I like setting the omen siren sound for "taunt now".
https://www.youtube....sticalos/videos

#3 MysticalOS

MysticalOS

French Hacker

• ♦ Administrators
  • 1146 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 15 July 2014 - 07:42 PM

Also looked at your image more. You do NOT hear the sound 15 times. Because you hear no sound until 12 stacks, the minimum stack count. Furthermore, even though it says 12, on malorak for example, it won't actually MAKE a sound unless YOU do not have a debuff, so if that happens to be at 13-15 then you only hear first sound then. The sound only plays when you SHOULD be taunting, period (except for thok, as explained above)

#4 homezonebenny

homezonebenny

Glass Joe

• New Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 09:21 PM

Good answer. Thx.

I set this up, and I was DD not Tank.

So I heard the "taunt taunt taunt" sound like 10 times (iron coloss).

So that means, that the tanks didn't taunt well. Good to know :)

So when I hear my "time to taunt" sound, I can taunt?! :)

I know how it is. Never touch something which is running.

Which you know better, when to taunt. Adjustable is "always good" but not always best.

I'm a programmer too and I'm a perfectionist. Means that I adjust stuff until I got the total limit....

So yes, I understand your statements.

I just don't know the "tank role" in the OG-Raids.

So I don't know 100% when to taunt. So If I hear it, I can trust the taunt :) that's good.

Thx for your answer!

EDIT:

Perhaps you can implement this:

Uncheck option for the "taunt signals" if your not a "tank".

Like a global single "checkbox".

Not tank? Uncheck taunts.

So if you are raid lead, and you are a DD and you want to tell your tanks, NOW TAUNT.

You still have the "taunt" alerts. Even as DD.

But for normal people, like a druid.
Who heals, or do DMG and sometimes Tanking. Is alway hearing it. Or never.

Edited by homezonebenny, 15 July 2014 - 09:23 PM.

#5 MysticalOS

MysticalOS

French Hacker

• ♦ Administrators
  • 1146 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 15 July 2014 - 09:41 PM

Ah I can add some extra checks for spec to ensure that "taunt" warning turned on by non tank doesn't spam. I'll do that.

#6 homezonebenny

homezonebenny

Glass Joe

• New Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 09:47 PM

Thx.

The best would be, just a "global single checkbox". Tank taunt alerts? [ x ]

Something like that.

If you check it. You get the alerts. If not, then not.

And a second checkbox:

"Check for Tank spec" [ x ]

Something like that.

Ok, the first "Tank taunt alerts?" isn't neccessary.

Because you can check them manually for each boss.

But it would make it easier for people who wants that.

Instead of checking all those "taunt" checkboxes per each boss, one global and you get the taunt alert :)

#7 MysticalOS

MysticalOS

French Hacker

• ♦ Administrators
  • 1146 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 15 July 2014 - 09:49 PM

That's still more complicated. I'm just disabling all tank alerts if not a tank, period. Even if they are enabled. The tank alerts were never designed for anyone other than tanks using them.

#8 homezonebenny

homezonebenny

Glass Joe

• New Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 12:29 AM

Well yeah, that's fine.

But I'm pretty sure, there are some "raid leaders" who tell taunt taunt taunt :D

But your right. The tank should do it itself !!

Perhaps enable them on default for all tank specs?

So that you don't need to enable them yourself.

If you don't like you can adjust (deact.) them.

DBM is well configurated. All you need.

If you don't want anything, you simply deactivate it.

The same for the taunt alert :)

#9 MysticalOS

MysticalOS

French Hacker

• ♦ Administrators
  • 1146 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 16 July 2014 - 12:54 AM

Perhaps enable them on default for all tank specs?

They already are. All tank warnings are enabled for all tank specs. Option defaults always check spec. The only time they are not enabled by default is for someone who's main spec is dps and they switch tank after defaults have been generated (first time mod loaded). Since their defaults were generated DPS spec. they'll have to turn options on then.

#10 homezonebenny

homezonebenny

Glass Joe

• New Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 01:57 AM

Ah I see. That's the problem :-\

For me I had that "problem".

Main specc DD, loading -> no taunt alerts.

I configurated everything like I wanted it. Sound, and enable the taunt alerts.

Then I logged off. Copied the .lua files into each character. (11x 90s, each class).

So now, I hear the taunt alert even for DD / Heal spec.

When My Monk is Tank, and I switch spec to DD I still have taunt sounds enabled.

So yes, there should be a enable / disable when changing spec :) Just an onload.

#11 MysticalOS

MysticalOS

French Hacker

• ♦ Administrators
  • 1146 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 16 July 2014 - 01:59 AM

Well now Damage dealers will get no taunt alerts, ever. I may still add override to that but not right away. When I get around to it. In Mean time, This actually enables me to flat out just enable taunt warnings by default ALWAYS since now it'll be filtered based on current player spec. Something I may do in future.

#12 homezonebenny

homezonebenny

Glass Joe

• New Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 02:26 AM

Yep, this should work.

- Taunt enabled on default

- Disable it for no tank specs

Your change doesn't overwrite the sound i set for the taunt, right? :)

It's just an addon update, not the setting (.lua) itself :)

When it's rdy to download, I'll test it for you :)

#13 MysticalOS

MysticalOS

French Hacker

• ♦ Administrators
  • 1146 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 16 July 2014 - 02:29 AM

Alpha's are always ready to download right away. I probably won't change any option defaults until 6.0 mods since it won't do much good anyways. defaults are generated only once so a person updating generally doesn't cause new defaults. We do have a method to force reset it but I don't want to apply it to so many warnings at once. I may just change how I do tank options going forward is all with the global filter in DBM-Core

#14 MysticalOS

MysticalOS

French Hacker

• ♦ Administrators
  • 1146 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 17 July 2014 - 09:24 PM

smart_tank_filter.jpg

#15 MysticalOS

MysticalOS

French Hacker

• ♦ Administrators
  • 1146 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 17 July 2014 - 09:25 PM

With above, i flipped all tank warnings on by default for ALL users and then it'll just check spec and hide them if not tank spec. Disabling filter will override that and display tank warnings regardless of spec of course. Be aware that if you disable the filter, all tank warnings are ON by default now.

This should be a LOT more friendly with duel specing tanks now though. Ensuring they are never in a situation where they flip to tank for one fight and then get no warnings because they forgot to enable the tank warnings for it. Especially for sub tanks. No one likes having to remember to turn the tank warnings on/off depending on their spec that week. That now, will no longer ever be necessary. Still have to set sound preferences to your liking though.

I looked at possibility in doing same for DD and Healer but it doesn't seem feasible in either case. There really is no warning that's only useful to a healer. Even if it's a "big damage incoming" or "dispel this nasty debuff". Neither case is actually healer only. EVERYONE needs to know about big damage for personal CDs and dispels can often be done by damage dealers to keep healers from having to deal with it.

There are no damager only warnings either. Even thinking about "Switch to x add". Often times tank too has to switch and if dps check is tight, even the healers. At the very least healers may want to know dps are switching to reposition. So basically, spec based filters seem great in practice for all, but only practical and actually useful for tanks since it's the only role that's truly black and white.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users