• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 Praetorian

Praetorian

Mike Tyson

• ♦ Administrators
  • 27,760 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 06:12 AM

We are no longer recruiting; thanks all for your interest. The post below can remain as a rough indication of our guidelines should we need to recruit in the future.

Summertime, and along with it shifting job schedules and new responsibilities, has left us with slightly fewer healers than we would really prefer. (When bringing 7 healers to Gurtogg feels "healer heavy," maybe we're overdoing it a bit.) And so, here we go again.

We are recruiting pure healers (ideally resto shamans, resto druids, one holy paladin, and maybe a holy priest). We may also be looking for one outstanding mage, but our focus here is healing.

Hunters, warriors, rogues, DPS shamans, and so forth, need not apply. No matter how strong your app is, we have an excess of incredible players in those classes already. Sorry.

About us

We have been around since WoW retail began in November 2004 (and before, in many cases), and the majority of our members -- our raiding members in particular -- have been with us for well over two years at this point. This is likely because we actually enjoy playing together, but what do I know? We have a variety of interests and sorts of players within our guild, ranging from those whose primary focus is PvP and the Arena ladder, to those who are generally fairly casual, to those whose primary motivation is endgame raiding progression. This post is about that last group, and adding to it.

We raid five nights a week, four hours per night. Our raiders span a geographical range from Australia to England, but Mal'Ganis is a CST server. Our raids begin at 8pm CST (9pm EST, 6pm PST) on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays, and Mondays, and at 4pm on Saturdays. We don't have nearly as demanding a raid schedule as most "endgame" guilds, and if you can't make 90% of the listed times, it's probably best not to bother.

If you are looking to raid seven days a week, six hours a day, you'll probably find a better fit elsewhere. I think most guilds raid more than they need to, and I prefer to emphasize quality over quantity of time spent. The average age in EJ is probably in the neighborhood of 23 or 24, with more people tending towards the working professional end of the spectrum than the student end. I work too many hours each week to waste time screwing around when it comes to progression, and a lot of people are in that same boat. As a raid leader, I will be respectful and responsible in my use of your time, because I don't assume that players have unlimited quantities of it.

About you

I am looking for exceptional players, who are mature, highly competitive, and analytical in their approach to the game, while at the same time remaining humble and patient. Primadonnas, drama-mongers, and selfish players need not apply. I am looking for players who learn quickly, do not make the same mistake twice, multitask well, are attentive to their surroundings, and are able to quickly grasp the bigger picture of a given encounter, rather than just their class-specific narrow role. If you could do Heigan all day without dying, never blew up the raid on Thaddius, and never died to Void Zones (that actually rendered properly), then that's a start.

While people who enjoy PvP, as do most of us, are more than welcome, PvE progression should be your priority when it comes down to it. (Good PvP healers tend to be some of the best raid healers, though, for what it's worth.) It should be what you build your character around, and the deciding factor in choices you make regarding gear and spec. Your history as a player should demonstrate experience and commitment to endgame raiding. Ideally, applicants will be players who made it fully or mostly through Naxxramas before the expansion, and have extensive post-TBC raiding experience to boot.

Right now, as you doubtless already know if you are reading this, we have cleared Mount Hyjal and are looking to work our way through the final few bosses in Black Temple. We are looking to add a small handful of people to our roster to join us as we make our way to, and through, Illidan himself. We are looking for people who can jump right in and contribute in tier 6 content. We are not looking for any "projects" -- we have enough of those already. You may be the best player WoW has ever seen, but if you're in patchwork Karazhan gear and blues, by the time you're ready to contribute, we won't need your help anymore. So please, none of those apps at this point in time.

In other words, a successful applicant will be BT/Hyjal-attuned and appropriately geared. At worst, he or she will be heavily t5-geared but missing the Kael'Thas and Rage Winterchill quest drops. Anything short of that, and you are better off not bothering. Sorry.

You should enjoy the game as a whole, and plan to continue playing for some time to come. I'm not interested in a hired gun who logs on to raid, logs off after, and is never seen except for when we're raiding. Aside from putting time into farming consumables (I didn't mention this separately, but it's a given -- I'm not a fan of mindlessly flasking the raid and brute-forcing things left and right, but sometimes they are needed or appropriate, and a raider without the appropriate consumables onhand is not a prepared raider), you should be interested in being a part of guild activities (instances, PvP, flying in circles in Shattrath) in general.

You must be an intelligent human being, and you must be able to express yourself in a way that does not belie your intelligence. I don't care if you are God's gift to raiding -- if your ordinary communication consists of "culd u rez plz?? thx" stay far away, though if we're ever recruiting for the role of guild jester, your application may be filed away until such date.

I am aware that these standards are high, but we are only looking to invite a handful of players, and hopefully will not have to do so again for a long time. I'm not going to compromise just to get warm bodies.

Contrary to the application forms for seemingly every other raid guild on the planet, you do not need an exceptionally "thick skin" nor do you need to love dick jokes, racism, or have a propensity for masochism. Guild chat can be very much R-rated at times, but it's hardly a defining characteristic of the guild. If you're an exceptional player who has perhaps felt that some of the other endgame guilds weren't quite the social atmosphere you had in mind, we may be what you're looking for.

Class-specific notes

Healers: We are looking for druids, shamans, priests, and paladins who love healing, and have a proven record of excelling in that department, and have geared their characters optimally for the task. When I mentioned multitasking above, this is nowhere more important than for healing. Healers with PvP healing experience are appreciated. You must be able to effectively and attentively perform your duties while remaining completely aware of your surroundings, and the evolving state of the raid around you. Tunnel-vision healers need not apply.

Let me elaborate, since we as a guild take pride in the quality of our healers. It should go without saying that you are not someone who heals because it's easier to find groups, or slots in a raid -- you should heal because you correctly find it to be the most involved and demanding role there is, and because you welcome the pressure of knowing that a momentary lapse in your concentration can doom the entire raid. You should be incredible at what you do. Be honest with yourself. Are you the best healer in your guild? Are you the person that everyone wants assigned to heal them, because you will keep them alive if remotely, humanly possible? Every time someone dies, even if it was their own fault because they pulled aggro or stood somewhere they shouldn't, do you think "dammit, I could've saved him," because, maybe if you'd been quicker or anticipated better, you could have?

Finally, let me emphasize this: We are not looking for applicants who think they can do this. We're looking for applicants who know they can do it, because they've already done it.

Mage: You should be analytical and competitive regarding your DPS, and that should be reflected in your gear and talent choices. Understand that DPS classes are more important in TBC than they ever have been before. It used to be that if you had a good tank and some good healers to keep that tank alive, all that DPS meant was how long it took for the boss to die. No longer. And, of course, I mean exceptional DPS given the assumption that you are doing all the background raid tasks without difficulty, from buffing the raid, to CC, to managing aggro, to clicking Manticron cubes. Mindless players who only care about big numbers and not the overall good of the raid need not apply.

How to apply

Send me a PM on these forums, containing the following information:

1) Character name
2) Level
3) Class
4) Race
5) Current server (transfers are welcome, but let's talk first) (You MUST be on a PvP server to transfer to Mal'Ganis!)
6) Link to Armory profile, and explanation of anything that may not be readily apparent from your Armory profile (alternate sets of gear, currently PvP-specced, etc.)
7) List of any serious alts you have
8) What are your usual playing hours? Are there days/times when you are consistently unavailable?
9) Guild and/or Guild History, with explanation of why and how you left and joined your current or prior guilds.
10) Explain what you perceive your character's role in endgame content to be. Explain how your current gear and talent choices mesh with performing that role, and any ways in which you are still working on improving your character. For healers, use this section to describe your personal "healing style," which spells you favor, and why. If you can provide links to WWS parses or videos that you feel highlight your abilities as a healer, that would be welcome.
11) Discuss your prior endgame raiding experience and your goals for the remainder of The Burning Crusade. Are you BT/Hyjal attuned?
12) Why do you want to leave your current guild? Why do you want to join this guild?
13) Tell me a bit about yourself. How old are you? Where do you work or go to school? What is your gender? How long have you played WoW? What other MMOs have you played? Add anything else you feel is pertinent.
14) Please list any references who could vouch for you. They won't be contacted unless your application is seriously considered and we have spoken further.
15) Out-of-game contact information (e-mail, GTalk/AIM/whatever info, etc.)
16) Applications will be posted on an internal forum for review and discussion by members. If you would like more confidential treatment of your application, specify this and explain why.

Put some effort into your application -- hopefully as much thought and effort as I put into writing this. If you have any questions or if anything above otherwise needs clarification, send me a PM. Once we have reviewed your application, we will be in touch.

---

Edit: Please note, we will contact you to discuss your application further if we are interested, but don't expect to hear back right away regardless, until we have a good sampling of applications from which to make meaningful judgments and comparisons (this whole "application" thing is new to us, remember!). Most applicants will never hear back from us.

#2 Praetorian

Praetorian

Mike Tyson

• ♦ Administrators
  • 27,760 posts

Posted 07 July 2007 - 11:54 AM

Quick update:

1) Thanks to all for their apps. I'll be looking to speak with people and figure out what we're going to do with invites largely over this weekend.

2) To clarify and emphasize the point I made in the post above, we are recruiting for a very specific need here. We're currently raiding just fine, but we often find ourselves with six healers available for a given night, limiting our ability to do fights that really favor bringing a couple more (Gurtogg, Archimonde, etc.). We are looking to invite people who can jump right into BT (after at most one Kael kill if need be), and perform at the level, skill-wise and gear-wise, of our current healers. That means within days.

#3 Praetorian

Praetorian

Mike Tyson

• ♦ Administrators
  • 27,760 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 02:34 PM

We've filled the slots we were looking to fill, and now we can bring more than six healers to Shahraz (woo). Thanks all, for your interest, and an overall strong set of apps.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users