• Please log in to reply
723 replies to this topic

#21 JackHound

JackHound

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 11:47 AM

Anyone tried the G9 mouse from Logitech?

Wow, just checked it out. That is a very awkward looking mouse. I can see what they are doing with the design tho. Nifty. Anyone used it? I'm interested to hear if it is a good mouse or not.
"You know guys...Tseric was right."
--
RP noob, UI enthusiast, PvP fan, and looking for a reason to keep playing...
--
In limbo for WoW. Server jumping.

#22 Saroz

Saroz

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 02:28 PM

I have the misfortune to use Microsoft Habu mouse which is basically also Razer. After about 2 months of use it developed a problem with right mouse button (sometimes registers one click as 2 rapid clicks) and also wheel is behaving erratically.

Together with flimsy build quality and initial problems with software (adjusting acceleration made the mouse unable to track small movements on one axis) it doesn't really encourage me to look at Razer mouses again.

Yup, exactly the same here -- on two razer mice (yes, I bought a new one after the old one's mouse right-click broke)
Saroz

Author of sRaidFrames: http://www.wowace.com/wiki/SRaidFrames
... aswell as: BadgeWatch, Aurora, FuBar_AlchemyFu, FuBar_CombatTimeFu & Memento Mori

#23 Kombinat

Kombinat

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 03:13 PM

I use an IBM model M, and a microsoft optical mouse that's so old it's grey and brown, rather than white.

For those of you who don't know what the IBM model M is, I'll wait for you to google or wiki it.

Had a look? Want to know why I use such antiquated technology?

Because I'll never need to buy another keyboard. As long as there's a ps/2 port in the back of my computer, of course.

Model M's were built to last. solid steel frames, individually sprung microswitches for each key. And if you own the right kind of drivers and a soldering iron, you can do what I do, and cannibalize dodgy keyboards to keep one up and running. Sure it's ghetto-tech, but I really do like the feel of the keys.

Plus I can smack somebody with my keyboard and still retain at least a 50% chance of it working afterwards. Try that with your fancy new bubble dome switch plastic ones and get back to me. Hit someone with my keyboard and they'll know all about it. Hit someone with your keyboard and it'll rain keys.

I would like a new mouse though, I've had this one since 2000-2001.

#24 Calen

Calen

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 03:21 PM

Keyboard: The venerable IBM Model M Keyboard.

I have a private stash of these keyboards, which I started collecting back in the early 90's. Working as a programmer for a company recently bought out by a bank I was initially attracted to them as I felt I could defend myself from small caliber weapons fire with their 1/4" metal backing plate, and then easily go on the offensive.

Actually, it was the removable keys tops (so easy to clean, or arrange in Dvorak) and the superb tactile feel that made me try them out.

If you ever see one of these for sale, I would recommend purchasing it. I shudder to think how many characters I've typed on my main keyboard in the last ~17 years, and how many times I've pounded the crap out of it while overexcited with coding, tanking or pvp. Not a single key failure, nor do I ever expect one.

I bought a Kinesis Advantage Pro a year or two ago, and although for coding I enjoy it, due to the way I use both the number pad, and a mouse for movement (so as to allow either hand to be used for other keyboard hotkeys) I can't tank or pvp worth a damn with it.

Mouse
I have an ancient logitech 5 button mouse that refuses to stop working, so I keep using it. I like the look of a few of the input devices people have linked here; might have to .. uh, drop my keboard on the mouse so I can justify replacing it!

#25 Zerchi

Zerchi

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 03:45 PM

WTB ergonomic/split/"Natural"/whateveryouwanttocallit version of the G15 =/

Also, I realize the thread title says keyboards and mice, but I feel compelled to point out this headset while on the topic of peripherals, the plantronics cs50:

Posted Image

It's another pricey item but the sound quality is top notch and it has a 300 foot range so I can walk around untethethered even outside while "AFK" and still hear Ventrilo during raids. It has 8 hours of talk time which is more than enough for raiding but probably not enough for a full day pvp'ing but it charges fairly quickly. There's also a new version, the cs55, which has a couple more hours talk time (Edit: turns out the cs55 is for cabled up for phones while the cs50 is USB... so for voip, you want the 50 not the 55). The noise cancelling mic tech is great too. I run game sound via normal speakers (and/or have tv/music cranked up) and it doesn't translate through when speaking.

#26 Sichosis

Sichosis

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 07:27 PM

Logitech G15
Logitech MX518
Plantronics Audio 350

#27 Morthandeus

Morthandeus

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 09:58 AM

I'm using a Logitech G15, the Belkin n52 and some really awful mouse because my Logitech broke and I haven't picked up a replacement yet.

The n52 is by far the best piece of kit I've picked up for playing WoW in that it gives fast access to a large number of key binds while my arm remains in a relaxed position. I used to get some pain in shoulder, elbow and wrist after long game sessions and since getting the n52 this is greatly reduced. I also found my PvP game improved.

As for the G15 it is currently under-used, the main selling points for me was the display (showing who talks on Vent) and the overall build quality and feel of the keyboard rather than the programmable G keys.

Apart from input devices I'd also really recommend a dual monitor setup for anybody who does a lot of web lookup or other secondary tasks while playing. I found it let me make productive use of a lot of downtime (waiting for AFKers etc).

#28 Sichosis

Sichosis

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 12:16 PM

On a side note, does anyone with the G15 actually use most of their Gkeys? I find that most of the Gkeys are out of reach as far as "convience" It seems like most of them are too out of reach. Maybe it's just me.

Anyone else have any comments on this?

#29 Redbeard

Redbeard

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 12:37 PM

See my post earlier - you need to have a system where you don't use wasd for movement at all, then your left hand can rest on G-keys the entire time you are in combat.

#30 Miaxi

Miaxi

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 255 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 01:56 PM

G11 and MX revolution ^^

Yes, nothing to see here. I do use most of the G keys, though.

#31 Pinkiy

Pinkiy

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 03:27 PM

I have a question regarding mice and keyboards about mac and windows machines.

I have a cable mouse and i think it says only works with windows however it works on my mac. will this be the same for all logitech devices as i want a wireless one but theres not really many to choose from if i narrow it down to mac specific?

Thanks

P
the th!nk p!nk society

#32 Caryna

Caryna

is awesome

• Members
  • 941 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 04:04 PM

On a side note, does anyone with the G15 actually use most of their Gkeys? I find that most of the Gkeys are out of reach as far as "convience" It seems like most of them are too out of reach. Maybe it's just me.

Anyone else have any comments on this?

On my mage I have all 18 G-Keys in use. Top 6 are for the 3 main portals and teleports, middle 6 are buffs/armors, lower 6 are HS, mounts, disenchant, drink/eat.

On my priest it's basically the same, only portals/ports are replaced by more buffs and some other stuff.

The G15 helped me a lot to get rid of lots of buttons on my screen.

My mouse is a Logitech G7 and I am fairly happy with it.
[10:05:49] <Nat> how do u know if a unicorn is a virgin?

#33 Fingers

Fingers

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 04:34 PM

Saitek Eclipse II Keyboard
Logitech G7
Sennheiser PC146USB USB Gaming headset

Saitek PZ31A Pro Gamer Command
Posted Image

I love the HAT movement on this thing sooooooooo much. It's so much less stress on my thumb coming from a Belkin n50 and n52. I couldn't keep the n52 from sliding around on my desk. The PZ31A sticks very well and it matches the look of my Saitek keyboard. It lights up with the same color options as well. Very responsive and fully programmable; even the directional HAT is programmable.

Although the Ergodex has DEFINATELY piqued my interest and I think I am gonna buy me a plantronics cs50. I am so tired of headset wires. Always tripping on them when I go get something to drink or whatever.

I currently use a Sennheiser PC146USB USB Gaming headset with Adjustable Boom Mic. Love the quality and they're sturdy enough as I have sat on them plenty of times, but I am starting to get tired of cables in general.

#34 Crepe

Crepe

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 06:17 PM

Plus I can smack somebody with my keyboard and still retain at least a 50% chance of it working afterwards. Try that with your fancy new bubble dome switch plastic ones and get back to me. Hit someone with my keyboard and they'll know all about it. Hit someone with your keyboard and it'll rain keys.

50% chance of working? You mean 50% chance of putting the target into a coma. The keyboard will work fine afterward.

(And yes, I use a M as well. You can pry it from my cold, dead hands. Though the input dev mentioned by the OP is interesting. Is it just a USB HID keyboard? Or does it require specialized drivers and crap?)

#35 Benjamin

Benjamin

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 08:41 PM

50% chance of working? You mean 50% chance of putting the target into a coma. The keyboard will work fine afterward.

(And yes, I use a M as well. You can pry it from my cold, dead hands. Though the input dev mentioned by the OP is interesting. Is it just a USB HID keyboard? Or does it require specialized drivers and crap?)

It's a USB HID Keyboard, you can use it without any special drivers if you want to. If you look closely at the picture, you can see all the keys that the buttons are bound to by default.

If you want to remap keys to do different things or use the G-15-style macros though, you've got to use the special software. Thankfully, the software has been 100% bug-free for me so far.

#36 Tharas

Tharas

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 427 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 10:33 PM

It's another pricey item but the sound quality is top notch and it has a 300 foot range so I can walk around untethethered even outside while "AFK" and still hear Ventrilo during raids. It has 8 hours of talk time which is more than enough for raiding but probably not enough for a full day pvp'ing but it charges fairly quickly. There's also a new version, the cs55, which has a couple more hours talk time. The noise cancelling mic tech is great too. I run game sound via normal speakers (and/or have tv/music cranked up) and it doesn't translate through when speaking.

I looked at the manuals/datasheets for these two, because I was intrigued. They seem to have RJ11 inputs, or did I miss something? Did you get a cable to convert RJ11 to 1/8" miniplug or something like this? Does it come with one of these and I missed it? I still dont like the audio quality from my mic/headset miniplugs, went back to USB-microphones.

(I used to use a Bluetooth headset, which was OK, but required much care and feeding of Vent and WoW to convince them to properly direct audio to the separate outputs)

#37 Zerchi

Zerchi

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 12:18 AM

I looked at the manuals/datasheets for these two, because I was intrigued. They seem to have RJ11 inputs, or did I miss something? Did you get a cable to convert RJ11 to 1/8" miniplug or something like this? Does it come with one of these and I missed it? I still dont like the audio quality from my mic/headset miniplugs, went back to USB-microphones.

(I used to use a Bluetooth headset, which was OK, but required much care and feeding of Vent and WoW to convince them to properly direct audio to the separate outputs)

Er oops, I should have remembered that there's two versions of the headset... the "office" version which I think is rj11/headset plugs and the VOIP version which is USB. You would want the latter... it's plug and play and appears as a new sound device under Windows.

#38 Kombinat

Kombinat

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 03:40 AM

Improvised weaponry in the office, one of my personal areas of expertise. Either that or I'm just a frothing psycho.

I'm a really heavy typist, and I type a whole lot. I'm working on a couple of things, so I spend a lot of time at the keyboard each and every day. Plus the buckling spring design makes a noise both when the key is pressed and released, so it sounds like I'm working twice as hard.

For the Model M fans out there who are sick of eBaying them, please see this website:

IBM model M keyboards

Some models there I didn't know existed.

#39 Redbeard

Redbeard

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 03:49 AM

For heavy typing, this keyboard should be robust - at least they boast to be.
Das Keyboard - The Blank Keyboard for Demanding Users.

#40 Rapid

Rapid

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 08:16 AM

G7 and G15 are my inputs of choice - I just can't live without my Teamspeak / Venty tracking in my LCD window...so many people in my guild sound the same.

On a side note though - has everyone invested in a descent mouse mat? I use a Cyber Snipa teflon coated, aluminium backed, super sticky on the bottom. $40 well spent on something that really makes mousing easy. You'll notice it most if you have a crap mousing surface at work. I've also used the Razer ones as well and they're excellent too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users