• Please log in to reply
723 replies to this topic

#41 RTM

RTM

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 04:02 PM

Keyboard: The venerable IBM Model M Keyboard.

I have a private stash of these keyboards, which I started collecting back in the early 90's.

'Sup fellow IBM Model M hoarder! I have a stash of these in my office at work that I've accumulated as we've transitioned over to USB-only computers. I keep the ones that are salvagable- most that come through here are so caked in food and garbage from years of use that I wouldn't dare touch them. I probably have a good 2 dozen, a supply that will probably outlast me and my great-great-grandkids.

My PC at home has no PS/2 ports so I bought a cheap ($4) PS/2 -> USB adapter from Newegg and am still rockin' the Model M. Once per play session a movement key will get stuck down but hitting it again frees it up. I could probably solve that by spending more on a nicer adapter, but I haven't wiped a raid yet so I'm not too chuffed.

My trusty Logitech 518 has served me well, although I could use a few more buttons for keybindings. As it is, I have all the buttons & scollwheel + shift + ctrl keybound.

#42 selece

selece

King Hippo

•  Patrons
  • 627 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 04:18 PM

On a side note though - has everyone invested in a descent mouse mat? I use a Cyber Snipa teflon coated, aluminium backed, super sticky on the bottom. $40 well spent on something that really makes mousing easy. You'll notice it most if you have a crap mousing surface at work. I've also used the Razer ones as well and they're excellent too.

My own combo is a G11 + Habu.
It's a little pricey, but I have an Icemat. I love it.
It's easy to clean, durable and doesn't stain.

#43 Bohemienne

Bohemienne

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 29 September 2007 - 08:22 AM

My mouse is an old Microsoft five-button trackball. I'd love to find a replacement, since Microsoft doesn't make that model any more, but I haven't been able to find any in a bit of Internet hunting.

I've used that mouse as well in the past, and really loved it, though not as much as the also-discontinued mouse that it replaced, the Microsoft Trackball Explorer--lawd, why does no one make GOOD trackball mice with the ball in the center anymore?? Anyhow, if you want something similar to that five-button one, I'm currently using a Logitech Trackball that feels very similar but unfortunately lacks a forward/backward button set.

I know the trackball gamers (and graphic designers, which is how I got hooked on trackballs in the first place) are few and far between, but I can't imagine playing with anything but.

#44 Lanth

Lanth

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 29 September 2007 - 11:26 AM

Saitek Eclipse and Razer Copperhead. Nothing special in terms of extra buttons.

When I start playing WoW again, I don't think I'll bother getting a special button pad. I'll just bind all buttons to the left of the 5-t-g-v line to abilities, 'cept for ESDF for movement.

I had a good idea recently for an interface device specifically for games like WoW, which need lots of buttons. When you think about it, there are three things you need to be able to rapidly do:
Click with the mouse
Move with the movement keys
Press buttons for abilities
The problem is that we don't have three hands. But what we DO have is two hands and two feet. So we make a device that your feet move, similar to a joystick. That foot-joystick controls movement, left hand uses abilities, right hand on mouse. Problem solved.

#45 Dreamflow

Dreamflow

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 29 September 2007 - 12:28 PM

Razer DeathAdder, Razer eXactMat and a Labtec keyboard rocking on my desk.

#46 Guest_Abbi_*

Guest_Abbi_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 September 2007 - 12:29 PM

I've used that mouse as well in the past, and really loved it, though not as much as the also-discontinued mouse that it replaced, the Microsoft Trackball Explorer--lawd, why does no one make GOOD trackball mice with the ball in the center anymore?? Anyhow, if you want something similar to that five-button one, I'm currently using a Logitech Trackball that feels very similar but unfortunately lacks a forward/backward button set.

Yep, that's my emergency backup trackball there. It's not bad, although if my current one ever dies I'll probably break down and spend $50 on EBay for a replacement.

#47 Tisha

Tisha

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 September 2007 - 04:54 PM

I use a wolfking keypad:

Posted Image
Posted Image

#48 Koll

Koll

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 29 September 2007 - 05:20 PM

Logitech MX Revolution : http://www.logitech....es/130&cl=us,en

Posted Image

Many buttons for Clique, excellent tracking.

#49 Tisha

Tisha

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 September 2007 - 06:19 PM

I use the MX Rev also. It's comfortable, has a nice amount of buttons, and has pretty good response time. If you use it, I'd definitely use uberOptions so you can map things to the thumbwheel.
Posted Image

#50 Koll

Koll

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 29 September 2007 - 06:36 PM

If you use it, I'd definitely use uberOptions so you can map things to the thumbwheel.

oooOOooo Thanks a lot for that, I'd been wondering how to do it.

#51 Miaxi

Miaxi

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 255 posts

Posted 29 September 2007 - 08:21 PM

I use the MX Rev also. It's comfortable, has a nice amount of buttons, and has pretty good response time. If you use it, I'd definitely use uberOptions so you can map things to the thumbwheel.

You don't need anything special to map actions to the Thumbwheel. Just set it to "Zoom" for the WoW window and it will toggle something like Ctrl+Shift+Up/Down.

#52 Downforsa

Downforsa

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 30 September 2007 - 05:34 AM

I broke my Razer mouse twice now, the right button doesnt react well to clicks anymore -- must be some fabrication error.

Anyone tried the G9 mouse from Logitech?

The reviews I've read confirm what I thought. It will be extremely uncomfortable over time playing anything other then an FPS, depending on how you hold it. It will not support the back of your hand so you have to use a finger-tip style grip.

I use a G15 and G5 (rev 2). I don't see a reason for every changing. :P

#53 Ryas

Ryas

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 224 posts

Posted 30 September 2007 - 06:20 AM

Posted Image

Posted Image

#54 Yinchie

Yinchie

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 30 September 2007 - 12:12 PM

Keyboard: SteelSeries 6G (INT - SteelSeries)
Mouse: Razer DeathAdder (Razer | For Gamers. By Gamers.â„¢ | Gaming Hardware)

Desk setup: http://itchy.nl/file...es/IMG_0058.JPG

#55 Marcel

Marcel

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 10 October 2007 - 07:47 AM

Hey guys, sorry for resurrecting this old thread but I'm interested in buying a gamepad like some of you have and rather not waste my money on one so I have a few questions.

*Do you actualy use the controle system at your thumb to use your WoW characters? Might be a silly question but I want to know for sure because I see WASD at the pictures of the pads.

*I have two pads in mind, either the Belkin Nostromo SpeedPad n52 or the Saitek Pro Gamer. Has anybody tried both and prefers one over the other?

*Any extra comments on pads like these? Things to keep in mind?

Any help would be apriciated. :)

#56 Noraj

Noraj

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 406 posts

Posted 10 October 2007 - 08:07 AM

*I have two pads in mind, either the Belkin Nostromo SpeedPad n52 or the Saitek Pro Gamer. Has anybody tried both and prefers one over the other?

Like so many others in the thread, I'm a fan of the Logitech G series keyboards (my own being a G15). The extra macro keys are easier to reach while not straying from your regular keyboarding position (which is pretty important to me, since I tend to type nearly as much as I speak over Ventrilo). The extra functionality of the buttons also works well with other applications, such as your office or design suite of choice, making it a better "overall" choice for computer use in my opinion.

That being said, if you choose to stick with a pad style accessory then I would recommend the Belkin over the Saitek. While both manufacturers make a decent product, everybody I've talked to (five different WoW players) have preferred the Nostromo. The only person that didn't like either went with the Ideazon model.
"The question is not how far we are going to take it... the question is, do you possess the constitution to go as far as needed?" - Il Duce

#57 Junx

Junx

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 October 2007 - 12:20 PM

I've had or have just about all the devices in this thread.

For keyboards I have used:

Model M - This is on my server pc now and doesn't get much use these days but I've had it for almost 12 years I think so I'd say I got my money's worth.

Ideazon - Which I did not like at all, I tried a bunch of the different keyboards but never found one I liked.

Saitek Eclipse - Had the weird pad that plugged into the top - keyboard was good but the keypad was total crap.

Logitech G15 - Using this currently. Don't really use the side keys but seeing who is talking in vent on the lcd is great and the actual keyboard itself is good.

For gamepads I have used:

Nostromo n52 - Started with the n50 playing fps. n52 is good but the key action is still too stiff and it can be a bit limiting at times.

Fang - Never felt comfortable with this and didn't care for the feel of the keys.

Ergodex - Got one of these earlier this year. Drivers suck but the keys and the ability to lay things out just how I like them make up for it. The "Sticky Keys" that you place on the pad have great action and don't come loose. Using this currently. One other slight drawback is that is pretty big, if you don't have the desktop space go for the n52 or their new n52te(?) that is coming out in November.

Mice -

Logitech Revolution - A little too laggy and heavy feeeling for me but I did like the button layout, especially the side thumb button.

Microsfot Habu - Piece of total shit.

Razer - Never felt comfortable to me and I had been using side thumb buttons by the time I got one and missed having them too much.

Logitech Mx 518 - I just keep coming back to this mouse, I think it is pretty much the perfect gaming mouse.

#58 Guest_Abbi_*

Guest_Abbi_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 October 2007 - 01:14 PM

Hey guys, sorry for resurrecting this old thread but I'm interested in buying a gamepad like some of you have and rather not waste my money on one so I have a few questions.

*Do you actualy use the controle system at your thumb to use your WoW characters? Might be a silly question but I want to know for sure because I see WASD at the pictures of the pads.

*Any extra comments on pads like these? Things to keep in mind?

Any help would be apriciated. :)

Nope. I use the thumb D-pad as modifier keys. I have the four directions mapped to shift, alt, shift-alt, and spacebar (for jumping).

#59 koaschten

koaschten

In the rear with the gear!

• Members
  • 5,668 posts

Posted 10 October 2007 - 02:23 PM

Nostromo n52 - Started with the n50 playing fps. n52 is good but the key action is still too stiff and it can be a bit limiting at times.

One other slight drawback is that is pretty big, if you don't have the desktop space go for the n52 or their new n52te(?) that is coming out in November.

About the nostromo n52, yes the keys are stiff, but trust me, after half a year they get soft and with my current almost 2 years old one, i consider getting a n52te. Belkin got a Promo-Site running for it at Belkin n52te
How to get an Android Authenticator on your PC. (updated feb'11)

http://goo.gl/fackr

#60 JackHound

JackHound

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 10 October 2007 - 03:29 PM

That n52te looks tight, but I don't think back lights alone are worth getting it. Unless they did something else that I'm not seeing.

And just to comment on past hardware...

Razer DBack - I liked this mouse for a while because I seem to grip all mise really foward at the buttons, but the little numbs on the side buttons hurt my fingers after a while. The right side buttons were a pain to reach too. And I'm a sucker for wireless so I went with a G5.
"You know guys...Tseric was right."
--
RP noob, UI enthusiast, PvP fan, and looking for a reason to keep playing...
--
In limbo for WoW. Server jumping.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users