• Please log in to reply
723 replies to this topic

#721 Geekzilla

Geekzilla

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 07:58 PM

Update: Has nothing to do with admin permissions, seems to be a flaw in the installation software. Even if you tell it to install for everyone, it only works for the user you installed it as. I bumped my regular account up to admin rights, it still didn't work, so I uninstalled and reinstalled, whereupon it started working.

I then got a wild hair and decided to drop the permissions back down, and it continued working, including letting me change the configurations. It still fails on any user that I haven't installed it on previously, and on the account that I had previously installed it from, it works but the default profile is gone. Haven't tried creating new profiles on that account, so I don't know how well that would work.

Also note that in order to fix it, you have to do the permissions bump, simply running as administrator from your gaming account doesn't install it properly for that account.

So far, my only real dislike is that if you use the default hand position, it puts 6 buttons under your weakest finger, and only two under your strongest. I get it, they're trying to leave your normal training in place for the tab, shift, and ctrl keys, but I still don't like it. Heck, with the hand rest in the way, I can't even reach two of the pinky buttons without shifting my grip, and I don't have small hands. Besides, reserving all those keys for modifier keys means I don't have enough buttons left for MMORPGs.

So, I shifted my hand one key to the left, so I have three buttons under the pinky and five under my index finger. Not quite as comfortable since the thumb has to stretch just a little farther to be on the thumbpad, but acceptable.

Which brings me to the next issue, the modifier key bindings (shift/ctrl/alt). My first instinct is to bind them to the thumb pad, since I always use the mouse for movement/strafing. That covers the non-chorded modifiers, but I can't find a way to use the software to create chord buttons, where pressing diagonally on the thumbpad presses two modifier keys.

I suspect that I may have to use Autokey to get that behavior, but I can think of four ways to fix it, if the drivers/macro functions have the right options. Anyone else tackled this and see something I missed?

#722 Ultramagnetic

Ultramagnetic

Vexatious Litigant

• Members
  • 2424 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 02:05 AM

Gaming Keyboard By Razer� - Star Wars�: The Old Republic� Gaming Peripherals by Razer� | Razer� | For Gamers. By Gamers.�

Ignoring the marketing hype on this page, has anyone used a keyboard with slim key caps before? It looks like a series of typing errors waiting to happen.

#723 Shadefoot

Shadefoot

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 10:00 AM

Gaming Keyboard By Razer� - Star Wars�: The Old Republic� Gaming Peripherals by Razer� | Razer� | For Gamers. By Gamers.�

Ignoring the marketing hype on this page, has anyone used a keyboard with slim key caps before? It looks like a series of typing errors waiting to happen.

The current Mac Keyboards have slim keys and, though I don't use one for gaming, I've used one at work and it's definitely not as bad as I thought it was going to be. Actually quite comfortable to use, though takes a bit of getting used to the lower level of key travel - it's a bit more like a laptop keyboard in that sense, but full keyboard size.

#724 lute

lute

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 04:49 PM

That reminds me of my lazer keyboard that I used to have, it was a chain effect. If you touched one key it would connect to another key that I would not like to have used. It was so annoying that it wasn't even fun to show off because of all the errors.

But I do have a slim keyboard on my mac and it feels quite comfortable, although I prefer for gaming my G15 keyboard and the razer naga mouse, couldn't believe I ever played without that mouse.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users