• Please log in to reply
141 replies to this topic

#141 Amera

Amera

Jedi Knight

• Members
  • 4817 posts

Posted 21 October 2007 - 02:56 AM

In general the game would probably be better off if classes default abilities were more robust, and their talented ones were toned down. But this would also be an immense project and would introduce a lot of potential balance issues. But I mean things like:

-Warriors/paladins/druids could have all the baseline abilities needed to tank anything. Talents would focus on improving them and increasing damage reduction, rather than giving defining abilities (like holy shield, mangle, shield slam, etc)

And the same basic thing with healing abilities and whatever else for hybrids. Now obviously you'd still want particularly specced people for certain jobs, but you would get a lot more flexibility if you could pull this off. It does have a rather huge problem in terms of itemization, though. Itemization is just as specific as talents, if not more so, and it's really not realistic for classes to be expected to have 2 or 3 sets of top-notch, enchanted gear ready to do multiple jobs at once. So you end up back where you started at specialized talents using specialized gear for specialized roles.

Feral druids end up working so well because they get defense AND offense from many similar stats far more than other classes (both Agi and Str, for example), so they really can pull off two things at once. Paladins, priests, warriors, shaman, and other druids aren't even really close to this kind of gear synergy.
Author Site || Facebook || Goodreads || Guild Wars 2 Amera.9317 || Marvel Heroes: Selaste

#142 Karamoon

Karamoon

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 21 October 2007 - 06:25 AM

In general the game would probably be better off if classes default abilities were more robust, and their talented ones were toned down. But this would also be an immense project and would introduce a lot of potential balance issues. But I mean things like:

I agree with this, and I think it would be good if the abilities had a different flavor for each spec. Maybe something like give the prot warrior 'only against PCs' stuns, disorients, interrupts, snares, etc on abilties that give high threat in PVE so that they become worth killing in PVP; they won't kill someone, but will be able to lock them down.

Itemization is just as specific as talents, if not more so, and it's really not realistic for classes to be expected to have 2 or 3 sets of top-notch, enchanted gear ready to do multiple jobs at once.

While I'd love for the game to move towards actual hybrid gear, I currently have 3 up-to-date sets, one for DPS, one for tanking, and one for PVP. There's 2 pieces of T4 in my DPS set and a couple of PVP pieces for resilience in my tank set (IIRC just one right now), other than that they don't overlap. I also have a hydross resist set that is enchanted (though most of the set is just greens) and a healing set that's about half epic (and is decently enchanted). Maintaining 2 PVE sets with limited overlap is entirely realistic, and adding in a 3rd 'decent' quality one isn't bad either considering how often loot just gets sharded.

Feral druids end up working so well because they get defense AND offense from many similar stats far more than other classes (both Agi and Str, for example), so they really can pull off two things at once.

Feral druids don't get any defense benefit from STR, it's useful for tanking since it gives more threat but does zero for defense. In practical terms, a druid's tanking and DPS sets are going to be seperate aside from 2 pieces of tier 4, and maybe the other tier pieces. Tanking gear works OK for damage, certainly better than it does for a warrior, but it's tanking gear for a druid doesn't put out serious DPS.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users