• This topic is locked This topic is locked
484 replies to this topic

#481 wyldbill

wyldbill

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 123 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 09:29 PM

My one issue with that is what you are referring to...PvP people going to a PvE server to join some hardcore PvE guild, get high-end tier gear, then return to a PvP server? That idea doesn't seem right imho.

I'm not sure this is even an issue. The pvp realms host more successful pve-oriented guilds (or did when my wife went looking) than the pve realms. We felt it was from the same effect we see in our raid groups on our pve realm: those that know how to pvp are generally better at playing the game.

So once someone levels on pvp and then chooses to participate in pve content, there's something they've already gained that doesn't get learned as quickly the other way 'round. I believe it's speed/reaction time. We've had raid members that were devoutly against pvp, even in small doses. "I rolled on a pve server for a reason," they'd say. Or even as far as "pvp sucks shit," and the like. Those folks had terrible reaction times and poor management of the global cooldown.

My take on all that is that the survival skills required to stomach leveling 1-60 in the pre-BC content was a very serious filter. Those that couldn't pass muster had a few choices: reroll or (later) transfer to a pve realm.

Back to the quote, I don't think you'd get more end-game gear on a pve realm. A good player from a pvp realm would probably dazzle the crap out of pve raiders, sure, but there are more raid slots on the pvp realms that seem to be home to a greater number of end-game progressed guilds per realm.

I don't know if this holds true for alliance guilds as well, my wife only peek through the numbers for horde guilds.

#482 Disarbadia

Disarbadia

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 469 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 09:38 PM

3 - More PvP (outdoor) will require a revisiting of the honor system (which is what encourages you to kill someone) such that there's sufficient reward for outdoor pvp to be meaningful. Don't hold your breath on this, it's a non-trivial problem to solve, and blizzard has been pretty intractable about addressing issues with the existing honor system.

I love the diminishing honor returns I get when I kill the same pest (player..?) over and over until they get the point that I want them gone.

20 honor first kill..10 the next..6 after that, less and less each time, kinda decreases my will to repeatedly kill them (Even though it makes me smile every time I see an opponent go down).

#483 Falcore

Falcore

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 09:41 PM

1 - The status quo is slowly destroying guilds on PVE servers. Removing the restriction changes the initial reasoning such that there is no clear "You should always choose to be on a PvP server to have more options in the future" solution. There will still be incentives for players to start off on highly successful realms, but at least they won't only choose the highly successful pvp realms, and there will be less disincentives to transferring to a PvE realm with a guild that would fit your requirements if only you didn't lose out on future PvP realm prospects.

again though, that opens up doors to transfer off, gearing up, then transferring back. I think that is something Blizzard is specifically trying to avoid.

On multiple occasions PvP guilds on our server have prevented or greately stalled other guilds from getting into instances. More difficult to progress if you can't even get in the instance =P
(yes, those times are rare, but just a random example).

The thought of "new content is out - lets transfer to a PvE realm to do it with no interruptions then transfer back when we complete it" resounds in my mind....possibly (probably) incorrectly, but there none the less.

2 - Overcrowding has nothing to do with the PvE or PvP ruleset. It's controlled purely based on population and has no reason to show up in this discussion. If you're concerned about battlegroup population balance and battleground server queues, that's also irrelevant to the ruleset and should have it's own thread. The transfer process currently will not allow transfer's in to a "full" realm (full determined by blizz).

That was based on my assumption that people would be wanting to go from PvE -> PvP. Given the lower amount of PvP realms (and even fewer RP-PvP, like mine)...seems like it isn't out of the realm of possibility to overcrowd a place given how many people seem to want to open the transfers.

3 - More PvP (outdoor) will require a revisiting of the honor system (which is what encourages you to kill someone) such that there's sufficient reward for outdoor pvp to be meaningful. Don't hold your breath on this, it's a non-trivial problem to solve, and blizzard has been pretty intractable about addressing issues with the existing honor system.

The thought of that makes me moist...don't get my hopes up.

PvE servers = Duck Hunt while using that laser-pointing helmet shooting thing for Nintendo!

#484 Falcore

Falcore

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 09:44 PM

I'm not sure this is even an issue.

Its all speculation. If all these questions were answered with definites...this discussion would be quite boring.
The changes people are proposing could open doors I (and others) have mentioned. Certainly not saying those things definitely would happen.

#485 Kaubel

Kaubel

Sledgehammer Emeritus

• Guild Members
  • 24,561 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 09:55 PM

You know how many reported posts this thread has generated lately? Way too many.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users