• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2972 replies to this topic

#2961 Floria

Floria

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 124 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 05:52 PM

Is alchemy really "unlimited" gold on your server? It seems that between the relative cheapness of leveling alchemy and the expense of herbs, most profit tends to be squeezed out by under-cutting. I'm sure buy-low (in bulk) and sell high works to a degree, but I'm lucky to net 5g on a stack of elixirs on my server, and I don't even try potions because I'm not specced that way.

For comparison, every epic leather armor I craft is roughly 50g profit for rubbing my Tauren hands together and laughing maniacally.

#2962 Xelopheris

Xelopheris

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 164 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 06:19 PM

If your server doesn't do Naxx pugs regularly, stock up on some Arcane Crystals, Righteous Orbs, and Nexus Crystals. Post your naxx pug announcement on your realm forums, list the attunement mats on AH, and watch auctions sell.

#2963 Torq

Torq

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 07:08 PM

I think it would be poor planning if Blizzard made inscriptions work in any way like alchemy. Raiders already have food buffs, weapon oils/stones, scrolls, elixirs/flasks, and potions to think about, and that's after the alchemy nerf. It'd be great to finally have a consistent, reliable source of scrolls, but adding additional temporary bonuses to chest, belt, whatever would just go against their previous plans.

An inscribed belt buckle though, that'd be keen.

Except it's already been seen that there are "runewords" that are temporary item enchants.

http://urlshort.com/...p?spellid=46754 is the only one currently in the spells database, but I'm pretty sure it's been confirmed to be an inscription recipe.

#2964 Guest_alienangel_*

Guest_alienangel_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 June 2008 - 07:32 PM

Oddly, I've been able to sell recently for close to 50g each. During the last predicted boom time (SSO badge vendor), scales were selling in the 20g range.

My only explanation is a shortage of skinners farming the scales, dropping the supply well below the baseline demand of alts, twinks, and slow levelers. When Arena S4 comes out, the skinners might come out in full force again, flooding the market and dropping the average price. Or perhaps there are far more honor-point hoarders who will buy epic leg armors for their S2 legs, in comparison to the number of skinners. Though it's hard to imagine that the price could go well above 50g, since that would motivate people to dust off their skinning alts.

Late reply, but I suspect the price hike you saw was due to more and more people rerolling leatherworking for drums. You don't actually need Cobra Scales to hit the 350 you need to use drums, but you can use them to get to 375, which many classes will want to do anyway, either for the sunwell patterns, or just for general SSC/TK patterns. And making nethercobra legs is a fairly profitable way to level, and to keep making money after you're levelled.

#2965 Starfire

Starfire

Blackfire too!

• Members
  • 3,120 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 07:33 PM

Except it's already been seen that there are "runewords" that are temporary item enchants.

http://urlshort.com/...p?spellid=46754 is the only one currently in the spells database, but I'm pretty sure it's been confirmed to be an inscription recipe.

Uhm. Isn't that exactly what Enchanting use to do in the original Alpha? With imbues?

#2966 ceasefire

ceasefire

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 03:26 AM

Well examples are:

Using Terocone as 25g a stack, Lichen as 30g a stack, Netherboom as 30g a stack, and Felweed as 5g a stack (all other herbs are 1g each roughly.

Haste potions are 5g, Major Defense- 4g, Agility- 4g, Draenic Wisdom- 4g, Flasks- +10-20g profit over raw mats and such. The different niche potions that raid classes use are all marked up about 1-2 g and the market is voracious. So counting procs I'd say an alchemist could probably make thousands of gold just from setting certain herb prices to snatch.

#2967 Floria

Floria

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 124 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 02:50 PM

Ah, then it's definitely server-dependent. KJ Horde has Terocone at 53g per stack as of last night.

#2968 Tecton

Tecton

Soda Popinski

•  Patrons
  • 3,946 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 02:53 PM

Unfortunately, herbs are vastly more expensive than that on most servers and the pots/elixirs barely cover it. The only real exceptions right now are flasks and demonslaying elixirs. Better selling the herbs for many of us.

#2969 Kaubel

Kaubel

Sledgehammer Emeritus

• Guild Members
  • 24,561 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 03:13 AM

Seriously, people. Let's not get into a "Well when I checked the AH..." discussion. Posts should be about ideas from which everyone can benefit, not what price your crap sells for on your server.

#2970 UnderTheRain

UnderTheRain

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 09:13 AM

Hi I've just been reading your thread and I'd like to add what I do to make G. Normally I'm LW/Skinning which is an absolute gold mine if you put in a little effort (I've made 6K in 4 days selling only 4 items in the ah). Doing my dailes I also pick up mats along the way and when I cba I can make an epic item each day. But every now and then I drop skinning and learn ench to 300 which cost 300-500g depending on if I grind the mats. Why do I do this? to de all the epic/blues in my bank. This however isnt how to make 500g per hour but you need the enchanting to do it, or more precisely dis-enchanting.

As a rogue I stealth run the tribute run in dire maul north takes me 8-10 mins. From the tribute run you get 5 blues that de into large brilliant shards (15g per) and two greens (minimum) that de into greater eternal essences (15g per). You can also drop the ace of warlords off the last boss (4 in a few hours 60g each is what i sell them for and they always sell) and in addition to that if the shackle key drops (and you quickly learn which mobs drop this or you can just kill the guards and not do the tribute and almost guarantee the key) you can get knot Thimblejacks cache from which I have had 4 or 5 epic patterns (2-300g each). Other loot in dm north that is often over looked is the ogre tanin I make ogre suits from this you get 1 or 2 per run. I sell these for 30g each and the suits are easy to sell on a sat load them up in the ah then simply put one on and run aroud sw or if everyone says where did you get that from I always say the ah they always go buy them. Why people pay 30g to look like an ogre I dont know and don't care :P

Easy loot the first boss in DM West drop the enchanting bag pattern this is a low level pattern but again it always sells well and takes literally 2 mins to sneak in and kill him :P

Easier than farming primals - No competition your in and instance - Rogue farming FTW :P

UnderTheRain
Nelf Rogue
EU - Nordrasssil

#2971 frmorrison

frmorrison

Protector

• Allied Members
  • 11,427 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 07:26 PM

Kunzite's Gold Guide Introduction

Is a free guide that lists many of the gold making activities here.

#2972 Putts

Putts

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 08:42 PM

Kunzite's Gold Guide Introduction

Is a free guide that lists many of the gold making activities here.

Unfortunately, this guide was listed on the front page of WoW Insider today, which is quite possibly read by even more people than those that read these forums. Many of these farming areas and tradeskill tricks will probably soon be obsolete due to an oversaturation of players that will be trying these methods. There's a few basic principles in this guide that may be of use to everybody, but for the most part, it's nothing that hasn't been mentioned in this forum already.

#2973 Kaubel

Kaubel

Sledgehammer Emeritus

• Guild Members
  • 24,561 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 10:20 PM

Yeah, in 120 pages I think we've pretty much exhausted all the original ideas on how to make gold in the World of Warcraft.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users