2972 replies to this topic

#21 lavis

lavis

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 08:29 PM

For me Mining > all other ways of making money

i can log in and and fly around pick up 2-300 ore in about 2 hours and sell it . ive made enuff gold to buy 3 epic lvl flying mounts

I have also found mining to be a gold mine. It is really only effective with a Epic Flyer and a "Mental race track" in mind. Also other people getting nodes on your route will really mess you up badly. Also invest in a Riding crop!

The mod mentioned in the OP's post is a great source.

I personally printed out a map of a zone and proceeded to draw a race track type pattern around it. After awhile you memorize your route and its easy sailing and very profitable!

If you do this I suggest a mod that allows you to move your minimap around (I use simpleMinimap). Getting a movable minimap makes spotting a node much easier when you place it pretty much on top of your character. God knows how many nodes you would miss if you left the minimap on the top right corner of your screen.

#22 tedv

tedv

Observation: I am awesome

• Allied Members
  • 1,796 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 08:37 PM

I'm currently around 15k gold from professions alone, and since the expansion I've probably given a total of 5k to friends who needed it. I have farming alts for all gathering professions. But Jewelcrafting and Alchemy are definitely the best money per hour spent. Buy all the mats from the AH, craft, and relist at a profit. Elixir is the best spec and potion is second best for making money.

Here's the trick. Something doesn't have to BE good. Someone else has to THINK it's good. I've made money on every single dawnstone and talasite cut, for example, and I know most of them are bad. Even the +8 parry gem has made money, and no one in their right mind would ever want it. All you need to do is find something that's under-supplied on the AH and start listing it. In addition to the obvious flasks, potions, and gems, I've made money selling engineering scopes, silver/gold/etc rods, weapon chains, transmutes, and all kinds of other stuff.

Always do what makes the most money, even if it's not the easiest thing. Have too much runecloth? Don't sell it for 2g a stack when you could tailor runecloth belts and then disenchant them for an average of 3.5g per stack.

The problem is that you rapidly reach diminishing returns on auction house time. You can spend half an hour and make a couple hundred gold. But spending 8 hours won't make you a couple thousand gold. At this point if you still want more money (although I'm not sure what you'd use it for) you can just farm. For me, I just play alt.

#23 Disarbadia

Disarbadia

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 469 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 08:38 PM

All from putting tomes and signets on the AH? That's it?

That and netherweave stacks.

I should also mention I'm an enchanter and sold stacks of Arcane Dust. I got alot of Greater Planars and Large Prismatics, but I kept those to level enchanting. So I suppose I could have made a good deal more off those also.

#24 Ishaxa

Ishaxa

Don Flamenco

• Guild Members
  • 284 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 08:44 PM

I discovered the perfect gold making strategy this week so I will share with you all how I did it.

I dueled a warlock who I had never heard of outside of Orgrimmar for about 20 minutes on Wednesday. When I logged in on Thursday the same Warlock ran up to me, opened a trade, put 2800g in the trade window and hit accept. When asked why I was given the gold the only response I could obtain was "hawt secks".

There you have it: my gold making scheme. I hope you all find it as useful as I did!

#25 AriasImmortal

AriasImmortal

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 08:45 PM

What zones do you miners usually mine in? I've had moderate success mining in nagrand but as my character is a Holy Paladin (despite having a +spell gearset that puts me close to 900) I have issues getting cave nodes in a timely fashion, plus there's usually a few other alliance out there mining as well.

I do have an epic flyer but I'm not really seeing amazing returns.

#26 Ellyh

Ellyh

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 324 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 08:49 PM

Disenchanting:

Somewhat over looked now that you need high enchanting skill to DE the good stuff. There is still a lot of money to be made disenchanting. The best range I have found on my server is the 51-56 range for Eternal Essence, Illusion dust and Large Brilliant shards.

Like most AH based techniques you need to know what materials sell well and how much you can afford to pay for DE fodder. For me it is 3g for armor items and 8g for weapons to guarantee a consistent cash flow. takes about 15 minutes a day to scan the AH and disenchant the results for a steady cash flow. I make about 40g a day from this which while not massive money it isn't bad for something you can do in the down time just after you log in and are waiting for your BG/Dungeon/Raid etc.

#27 ANSeranov

ANSeranov

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 134 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 09:01 PM

My pally alt has pretty good success in Skettis and Terrokar. It's not HUGE amounts of ore, but it's easy to get and there usually isn't too much competition.
[Yuuzu] [85 Draenei Shaman][Durotan]
[Revii] [83 Draenei Death Knight][Durotan]
[Karina] [85 Draenei Paladin][Durotan]

#28 Papajan

Papajan

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 217 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 09:08 PM

Does anyone have success with playing with AH stack sizes? For example, making Imbued Netherweave and weapon oils are probably two of the more common uses of Arcane Dust and they use 2 and 3, respectively. Have people gotten better profits on selling stacks of 2-3 for that reason? If so, is there a decent list for more profitable stack sizes? As a buyer, I'd probably pay a premium to not need to re-list or bank items, but I could be atypical.

#29 vishal

vishal

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 09:09 PM

If you are a mage and have your hearth setup in blades edge you really should do the 3 daily quest in that region (don't do kill demon onces) and then port to shatt and do 2 quest in sketties, i can do those under 30 mins and thats like 60 gold without much effort.

#30 Caniki

Caniki

Crayon in Brain

• Allied Members
  • 4,499 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 09:17 PM

If you are a mage and have your hearth setup in blades edge you really should do the 3 daily quest in that region (don't do kill demon onces) and then port to shatt and do 2 quest in sketties, i can do those under 30 mins and thats like 60 gold without much effort.

You know you can take the free taxi between the two Skyguard camps, right?

#31 Zaroua

Zaroua

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 267 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 09:57 PM

As others have stated, mining is one of the fastest ways to make money.

As a Holy Paladin:

North part of Netherstorm (Manaforges, 2 demon camps, Socretar's Seat, raptor dome
Blade's Edge Mountain (avoid the flying only plateaus)
Circle around Shadowmoon Valley and Terokkar (ignore Deathforge/Hand of Guldan)

As a DPS Warrior:

Caves in Nagrand
Blade's Edge Mountain (avoid the flying only plateaus)

Find yourself a Jewelcrafter that will buy your adamantite ore for 21-22g a stack or so and one that will also buy Fel Iron for 8-10g a stack and sell it all to him (don't bother auctioning the ore for the most part). To get rid of the Khorium and Eternium you'll have to auction it in very small quantities at a time by putting 2-3 auctions of 1 bar when there isn't a lot on the AH. Also keep your eyes open for people wanting to buy large amounts of Khorium and Eternium for profession skill ups.
Try and sell the Primal Earth for 45-50g a stack and try to keep single Primals and Motes listed at all times. This goes for the other types of primals too: you can sell a single mote for a ridiculous amount of money if you check every type and put them up 1 at a time - we're talking about 4-5g a Mote of Fire and 1g a Mote of Earth on a good day.
Sell the green gems on the AH one at a time (or 3 at a time for transmutes) - but this isn't all that profitable.
Keep or sell the rare gems (you're likely to end up needing them for yourself to be able to find someone that's desperate for a particular kind of gem - beats trying to undercut the Jewelcrafters).

You can also just get a Jewelcrafter to prospect your ore (or do it yourself) and play the AH/trade game. But I find that JCs expect annoyingly high tips for prospecting 2000 adamantite ore and it takes a very long time to prospect large amounts of ore compared to selling all of it.

For Engineering, always keep up the required materials for The Soul Cannon of Reth'hedron - Quests - World of Warcraft on the AH (2 Felsteel Bars, 1 Adamantite Frame, 1 Khorium Power Core) and put them up at ridiculous prices if nobody else has them listed. When Netherwing mounts came out, I was selling Frames for 20-30g and Power Cores for 60-70g. You can also keep a supply of Khorium Scopes (Khorium Scope - Items - World of Warcraft) and sell them for 80-100g each when there are none listed on the AH - they're also an excellent item to skill up on if you're patient enough to farm the recipe. I went from 360ish to 375 Engineering crafting those and I sold most of them for 90g+.

Blacksmithing is one of the worst professions to make money unless you can get your hands on the more common crafted recipes that require Nethers (Plans: Bracers of the Green Fortress - Items - World of Warcraft would be one of the best) - but you still need to run heroics and actually win the Nether to be able to sell it in the first place. You might be able to make some money selling Weight/Sharpening Stones, but a lot of people skill up on those at one point when leveling Blacksmithing, so it's unlikely there won't be any available on the Auction House.

Skinning/Leatherworking is surprisingly good to make money with - if you're a DPS class. Not a lot of people actually skin and even less people actually go out and farm leather. The more exotic skinning drops (Cobra Scales/Nether Dragonscales etc) can sell for ridiculous prices to people who need them - not like there's anybody that farms those on the same scale that primals/ore's farmed up. Clefthoof Leather is another great money maker since you get the Clefthood Leather and the Clefthoof Meat at the same time, plus the normal leather. Leather leg enchants are an amazing way to make money, especially if you get Nethers and sell the epic ones. Always make sure that you have the following in various stack sizes on the AH: Clefthoof Leather, Heavy Knothide Leather and Cobra Scales.

Herbalism's money making potentials are entirely dependent on how fast you can kill the trees in Skettis or on how well you can farm Nightmare Vines. Hunters and Priests can farm Ancient Lichen from instances (SP comes to mind). Sanguine Hibiscus can also sell fairly well if you want to solo farm Underbog - Underbog's for Hunters only however. In any case, selling the Fel Lotus and the Nightmare Seeds is a huge money maker, along with the herbs themselves.

Alchemy's biggest money maker is Elixir spec and flask selling. Make sure to have flasks listed on the AH during prime time or before your server's guilds start raiding. If there's no Flasks of <insert favorite flavor> available except your 40g flask, people will buy yours for that price. You can count on laziness and procrastination to keep selling flasks at ridiculous prices if you take a few minutes every day to list them accordingly. Make sure not to list Flasks for 24 hours, list them for 2 or 8 hours if you're going to overprice them.

Enchanting can be a decent money maker if you have exotic patterns. Spamming trade chat for hours on end to get 5g tips for enchanting Str to gloves is a waste of time. Non-enchanters and enchanters alike can turn a decent profit from playing the Dust/Shard game on the AH and buy buying cheap blues and greens and disenchanting them to make profit (look for Imbued Netherweave stuff and do uncommon searches for 65-70 items).

And finally, the biggest money maker of them all: patience, prevention and impulsiveness control.
Don't be impatient to sell what you have and be patient when trying to buy the more expensive stuff - you might be able to save a few hundred gold by waiting a day or two for something that you don't even need 'right now'.
Make sure to have a large hoard of raiding consumables/enchanting supplies/gems on a mule and to keep piling up by buying low. Fel Lotus at 10g each because of undercutting? Buy 30 of them. Super Mana Pots at 8g a stack? Buy, buy buy. Don't wait until you're out and be forced to buy your Mana Pots at 12-13g a stack later.
And it's not because it's purple that you "need" it. Buying expensive stuff on the AH (even when it seems cheap) can be a huge waste of money.
Theorycrafting procedures per role:
DPS = Theory -> Spreadsheet -> Practice
Healing = Theory -> Practice -> Logs
Tanking = Theory -> Theory -> Theory

#32 Benjamin

Benjamin

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 10:00 PM

I've found that if you're an herbalist and can kill them quickly, farming Talonsworn Forest-Ragers in Skettis is probably the best gold per hour in the game.

On my Shadowpriest, I can drop one in under 30s. There are 4 up at one time, and they have a 5m respawn timer. You can do a dozen laps in an hour if nobody else is farming them, roughly 50 kills per hour. Each one drops 2-5 motes of life and 4-8 herbs (Dreaming Glory, Felweed, Terocone, Ancient Lichen, or Mana Thistle) and also have a chance to drop Black Lotus.

So, on average, at 3.5 motes and 6 herbs per kill, you're looking at about 10g per kill, which at 50 kills per hour yields over 500g per hour, not even taking Black Lotus into account. If you have access to an alchemist with the proper spec, you can turn that into quite a bit more.

One thing that's particularly nice about these mobs is that you very rarely find people farming them. Only a few class/spec combos can do it efficiently (Warlocks, Shadowpriests, and Frost Mages), and those class/spec combos tend to almost always be tailors, and usually pick up enchanting as their other profession. I've wanted to drop herbalism for enchanting myself, but the sole reason I haven't is that I can't give up this prime farming technique!

I'm a Jew who works in accounting IRL, so I love this kind of thing!

#33 Trouble

Trouble

Bald Bull

• Members
  • 1,448 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 10:07 PM

Embezzle guild bank funds. This is a surefire way to make tens of thousands of gold.

#34 Nayt

Nayt

200 Hundred Dolla Next

• Members
  • 1,307 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 10:20 PM

I discovered the perfect gold making strategy this week so I will share with you all how I did it.

I dueled a warlock who I had never heard of outside of Orgrimmar for about 20 minutes on Wednesday. When I logged in on Thursday the same Warlock ran up to me, opened a trade, put 2800g in the trade window and hit accept. When asked why I was given the gold the only response I could obtain was "hawt secks".

There you have it: my gold making scheme. I hope you all find it as useful as I did!

I actually got around 600g for doing 2 enchants for some guy that was xfering a Crystal Singing Axe and a BOE Blue Chest piece off the server on his lvl 10 alt. GG me.

:Edit:
The way I made most of my money was basically doing 6 daily quests (just got my epic flier) and mailing the money to an alt, otherwise I'd just spent the money some how. Thank god I'm not that bad with money IRL. Another thing: Buy Herbs when they're low and put them up later Golden Samsan and Dreamfoil come to mind.
E-Commerce Director - Corwin Automotive Group
Honda - Hyundai - Nissan - Toyota - Chrysler/Jeep/Dodge/RAM
www.straightfromnate.com

#35 Lord BEEF

Lord BEEF

Soda Popinski

• Guild Members
  • 3,826 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 10:22 PM

I don't think I've seen anything quite as ridiculous as Gilliam (affliction warlock in our guild) farming with the two piece tier 6 bonus (gain 35 health every time a dot ticks).

He could pull 6+ at a time and at worst get to about half health

#36 Disarbadia

Disarbadia

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 469 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 10:26 PM

I don't think I've seen anything quite as ridiculous as Gilliam (affliction warlock in our guild) farming with the two piece tier 6 bonus (gain 35 health every time a dot ticks).

He could pull 6+ at a time and at worst get to about half health

Is that bonus not 70 health per corruption/immo tick, or is the armory lying to me?

70 health back is much more absurd than 35 is (And 35 per tick is absurd!).

[Edit] Also having ~1400 spell damage puts my warlocks farming to shame. I hate all these T6 locks. :(

#37 ANSeranov

ANSeranov

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 134 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 10:26 PM

There's a warlock in my guild who used to be affliction. He would charge around Kirin Var village in Netherstorm dotting the hell out of everything. If he had a healer tagging along, he did not need to stop EVER. Got like 15 primal mana in an hour doing it once, w/ like 50g worth of those elemental fragments. :x
[Yuuzu] [85 Draenei Shaman][Durotan]
[Revii] [83 Draenei Death Knight][Durotan]
[Karina] [85 Draenei Paladin][Durotan]

#38 Antoine

Antoine

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 239 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 10:36 PM

It used to be 35 hp/tick on Corr/SL/CoA/Immo, now it's 70/tick on Corr and Immo only.

with 2pc t6 and 3pc fsw, you make insane hp back

#39 nataku

nataku

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 10:51 PM

I've found that if you're an herbalist and can kill them quickly, farming Talonsworn Forest-Ragers in Skettis is probably the best gold per hour in the game.

On my Shadowpriest, I can drop one in under 30s. There are 4 up at one time, and they have a 5m respawn timer. You can do a dozen laps in an hour if nobody else is farming them, roughly 50 kills per hour. Each one drops 2-5 motes of life and 4-8 herbs (Dreaming Glory, Felweed, Terocone, Ancient Lichen, or Mana Thistle) and also have a chance to drop Black Lotus.

So, on average, at 3.5 motes and 6 herbs per kill, you're looking at about 10g per kill, which at 50 kills per hour yields over 500g per hour, not even taking Black Lotus into account. If you have access to an alchemist with the proper spec, you can turn that into quite a bit more.

One thing that's particularly nice about these mobs is that you very rarely find people farming them. Only a few class/spec combos can do it efficiently (Warlocks, Shadowpriests, and Frost Mages), and those class/spec combos tend to almost always be tailors, and usually pick up enchanting as their other profession. I've wanted to drop herbalism for enchanting myself, but the sole reason I haven't is that I can't give up this prime farming technique!

I'm a Jew who works in accounting IRL, so I love this kind of thing!

Shhh, that's my main source of income if I'm not lazy. Unfortunately, they are fairly camped as is on Tichondrius in most prime time hours so I only get a few hours here and there when I wake up early or stay up late.

#40 Khaen

Khaen

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 10:53 PM

Success for me has come in Scholomance. I'll just go in with a pile of spell damage, clear up to Ras (including Kirtonos and Jandice) and then reset. Everything I loot (including greens) gets DE'ed. It's 30 minutes per run and after each I usually end up with 6 Large Brilliant Shards (10g each), 3 Greater Eternal Essence (12g each), 12-15 Illusion Dust (worth 24-30g - 27 average), and about 10g in vendor trash. Plus I earn about 8g in there per run. If we minus the repairs (2g per run), that works out as around 139g every half hour. 280g per hour's not too shabby.

Bear in mind though it only really works if a) you're an enchanter, and B) you do it by yourself. I tried going with other people, but the income rate's nowhere near the same.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users