48 replies to this topic

#1 SOaD!

SOaD!

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 10 February 2008 - 05:54 PM

Hi everyone,

Firstly I'd like to present myself for them how don't know me. I'm SOaD!, CM from Wow Web Stats.

So as you know, 2.4 will change the way combat events are logged. We are currently working on a new parser rebuild from the scratch, and we need help to provide a functional parser as soon as possible.

Anyone can help by providing some combat log file sample to us.

The approach is detailled in the post in our forum here.

If you have suggestions, we'll keep an eye on both threads, so feel free to post ideas.

Thank you everyone,
The WWS team
SOaD!, WWS CM

#2 Malan

Malan

Mike Tyson

• Allied Members
  • 29830 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 03:10 PM

Suggestions:
  • The ability to view Graphs of DPS vs Time, etc, not just a bar chart
  • The ability to display DPS/Healing by phase of an encounter - ie, 'splitting' an encounter into phases that can be viewed independent of one another
  • Change the default "Miss %" view in the details of damage done so that it always shows parry/block/miss/dodge. Too many people get insanely confused by what WWS means by "Miss %"
  • The log browser is incredibly limited and very difficult to search for specific events. It would be more helpful if I could search for things like "[Everyone] [Death] [Ability: Doom Fire]" or "[Everyone][Damage Taken][Flamestrike]" so that you can locate your problem areas.
  • The new Horde color scheme is hard on the eyes (and not work friendly)
  • The reports page really needs a way to be sorted by date instead of by DPS.

You guys are definitely the premier combat log analysis program right now, but the tools are clumsy in some regards and frustrating in others because its hard to see the data that we want sometimes.

One huge feature request for you to consider. A large part of what people are using WWS for is comparisons between players on the same raid/parse or between two parses. ie, comparing rogue 1 and rogue 2 on a BT run, or comparing rogue 1's performance this week to the same encounter from the week before. I would envision something like a subversion diff selection, checkboxes allowing you select 2 parses for comparison. You could then display the stats for that player for both runs, as well as having a "differences" summary that would show things like differences in number of abilities used, damage done, crit rates, etc.

#3 Irise

Irise

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 03:17 PM

Suggestions

- A feature where guilds could compare how they have improved on a fight over time. For example, if they could compare their dps on Illidan kills over a 2 month period.

#4 Fola

Fola

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 188 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 03:22 PM

Suggestions

- A feature where guilds could compare how they have improved on a fight over time. For example, if they could compare their dps on Illidan kills over a 2 month period.

I believe this feature exists. If you have an upgraded account it should provide a guild link at the top that tracks I believe what you are looking for Boss DPS progression as a sub category under each Raid Instance.

#5 RoboStac

RoboStac

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 277 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 03:24 PM

I believe this feature exists. If you have an upgraded account it should provide a guild link at the top that tracks I believe what you are looking for Boss DPS progression as a sub category under each Raid Instance.

It's there for unupgraded accounts. It shows up on the top of the 'My Reports' page for the person doing the uploading. Not sure how/if it works if multiple people do the uploading on seperate accounts. It shows every logged attempt split by raidinstance/boss.

#6 manly

manly

Soda Popinski

• Guild Members
  • 3596 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 03:25 PM

Malan, you might want to have a look at http://www.wwsscoreboard.com. Basically they use their own dps formula which is far better at comparing one player performance between logs.
<Eej> YOU"RE GONNA PULL
<Eej> IF YOU SQUEEZE OFF ANOTHER ARCANE BLAST
<Spectear> You've obviously never played with Manly.
<Spectear> That's hardly a reason to stop DPS.
Very Manly Staff

#7 Malan

Malan

Mike Tyson

• Allied Members
  • 29830 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 03:30 PM

Yah but apparently that site only tracks people that are in the 'top 10' or something.

Apparently I'm rated #4 in the world for shaman DPS on Aran. Interesting I guess, but that's not showing a comparison between 2 people on a raid.

#8 Caligula

Caligula

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 438 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 03:36 PM

Yah but apparently that site only tracks people that are in the 'top 10' or something.

Apparently I'm rated #20 in the US (world?) for Enhance Shaman on Kael? I dunno if there stuff is out of date or something.

It's certainly buggy, or missing many reports, or something, I'm not quite sure. Some of our kills are on there, but other kills from the same raid and same log are not? Plus that site is ugly as sin. I think WWS could do a much better job, considering they have all the logs anyway and their site is much cleaner.

#9 Fola

Fola

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 188 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 04:27 PM

It's certainly buggy, or missing many reports, or something, I'm not quite sure. Some of our kills are on there, but other kills from the same raid and same log are not? Plus that site is ugly as sin. I think WWS could do a much better job, considering they have all the logs anyway and their site is much cleaner.

I have to agree it seems a bit off as I highly doubt that my inactive Shadow Priest that I played last night during backflag attunements is the 39th highest shadow priest DPS on High Astromancer in the world. A feature like this supported by WWS itself (especially a smart one that throws out WWS parses known to be wrong - i.e. Teron kills with total damage done >4.9 million HP) with good data integrity would be excellent. This would provide class benchmarks you could go to rather quickly, something that is currently difficult to sort through.

#10 Malan

Malan

Mike Tyson

• Allied Members
  • 29830 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 04:50 PM

Well a few things to note about the WWS Scoreboard:

1 - The scores only reflect guilds that have actually posted a WWS. So yah you may not be the 39th highest Spriest in the world, but you certainly are of the WWS parses that were submitted.
2 - they use the standard DPS/Time calculation instead of the default WWS 'instant DPS' calculation so the numbers will look different to you
3 - the default options for the scoreboard filter out anonymous reports so you're already looking at a smaller pool since it includes paid accounts only (although those are normally the people with higher dps anyways since they care enough about their raid to pay to preserve their logs)
4 - they have some sort of validity check on their logs. In my case, we had previously seen that our Aran kill (rated #7 on the scoreboard) was listed below some guys that had 20 people listed on the kill, or a log with 30,000 DPS. Obviously bad combat log files, and the scoreboard somehow filters those out already.

#11 Fola

Fola

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 188 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 05:20 PM

Well a few things to note about the WWS Scoreboard:

1 - The scores only reflect guilds that have actually posted a WWS. So yah you may not be the 39th highest Spriest in the world, but you certainly are of the WWS parses that were submitted.
2 - they use the standard DPS/Time calculation instead of the default WWS 'instant DPS' calculation so the numbers will look different to you
3 - the default options for the scoreboard filter out anonymous reports so you're already looking at a smaller pool since it includes paid accounts only (although those are normally the people with higher dps anyways since they care enough about their raid to pay to preserve their logs)
4 - they have some sort of validity check on their logs. In my case, we had previously seen that our Aran kill (rated #7 on the scoreboard) was listed below some guys that had 20 people listed on the kill, or a log with 30,000 DPS. Obviously bad combat log files, and the scoreboard somehow filters those out already.

1) Noted
2) Doesn't using this method expose the dps calculation to skew pretty badly for healing bosses (Anatheron, HWN, etc)? I suppose a guild that doesn't put up a healing debuff till half way through a particular fight might not deserve high rankings either. I can see it both ways I suppose.
3) Agreed
4) Noted

#12 smako

smako

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 05:37 PM

Edit: Sorry i can't read today.

#13 Malan

Malan

Mike Tyson

• Allied Members
  • 29830 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 05:44 PM

The request was for logs as well as suggestions for WWS.

#14 jusion

jusion

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 07:06 PM

From what I've heard, WWS Scoreboard manually updates their stuff. Thats why only guilds with Top 100 kills, non-anonymous and non-'cheating' logs get added.

#15 Cadfael

Cadfael

Witch doctors park in gear

•  Patrons
  • 3819 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 08:39 PM

Here's a sample combatlog I just "generated" by attacking a random NPC on 2.4 PTR sunwell.

I post it here, for any interested Addon programmer. It's not much but it is certainly enough to start redoing the parsers:

Attached Files

#16 Morwen

Morwen

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 112 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 08:52 PM

Is there documentation somewhere on the actual meaning of all the values in the PTR logs? It doesn't seem to be something we are just meant to figure out on our own, but I haven't been able to turn up anything on the official forums.

#17 Machinator

Machinator

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 498 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 08:58 PM

Suggestions:

• The ability to view Graphs of DPS vs Time, etc, not just a bar chart
  • The ability to display DPS/Healing by phase of an encounter - ie, 'splitting' an encounter into phases that can be viewed independent of one another
  • The log browser is incredibly limited and very difficult to search for specific events. It would be more helpful if I could search for things like "[Everyone] [Death] [Ability: Doom Fire]" or "[Everyone][Damage Taken][Flamestrike]" so that you can locate your problem areas.

I'll echo these as being most important to me. I don't think you get enough information for it, but graphs of a Tank's HP or a DPS warriors AP would be cool.

Edit: "An expiration type report showing last X events before a player died would be useful too." This is already in there, I think I knew that a long time ago and forgot. Whoops.
"Information is ammunition."

#18 Docjowles

Docjowles

Mr. Sandman

• Members
  • 5620 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 09:04 PM

Is there documentation somewhere on the actual meaning of all the values in the PTR logs? It doesn't seem to be something we are just meant to figure out on our own, but I haven't been able to turn up anything on the official forums.

If you follow the trail of Blue posts through this thread, there is at least some info: WoW Forums -> Upcoming 2.4 Changes - Concise List

#19 Docjowles

Docjowles

Mr. Sandman

• Members
  • 5620 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 09:05 PM

I'll echo these as being most important to me. An expiration type report showing last X events before a player died would be useful too.

This exists already, if I understand you. Click on the player, click on Summary, click on the time of their death. You'll see the last 10 seconds or so before they died.

Edit: Apologies for posting twice in a row, I will say 300 Hail Kaubels :(

#20 Fola

Fola

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 188 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 09:31 PM

I'll echo these as being most important to me. I don't think you get enough information for it, but graphs of a Tank's HP or a DPS warriors AP would be cool.

Edit: "An expiration type report showing last X events before a player died would be useful too." This is already in there, I think I knew that a long time ago and forgot. Whoops.

A TPS Graph over time or simply a bar chart of the average TPS for a fight would be helpful. There is a tool currently that calculates the TPS based on the WWS parse for the warrior listed here:

Kenneth Gant Niebuhr - Online portfolie

Possibly just incorporate the backend used for it?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users