176 replies to this topic

#21 archz0r

archz0r

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 10:02 PM

WarcraftMovies.com - World of Warcraft Movies <- article

This is the one I use, and it works fine for me.

#22 Pyros

Pyros

Bald Bull

• Members
  • 1,680 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 02:56 AM

WarcraftMovies.com - World of Warcraft Movies <- article

This is the one I use, and it works fine for me.

Btw, since the guide isn't very extensive but pretty good for setting options, you can do all this from vegas, without having to resort to use vdub. Vdub is pretty nice because it's free, and if you just want to make fast encodes and stuff, it just does that.

You also want to avoid wmv pretty much, it's not very good unless you use windows movie maker which is really easy to use, but not very powerful. You want to encode in divx or xvid, xvid being free, they're the most recognized format while still offering good compression and decent quality.

If you're a bit more elitist, you can encode in mp4, it'll cut size by almost half for the same quality, but sadly unless people use an integrated player(like VLC) or have mp4 decoding codecs installed, they won't be able to play it, and for most of the people that don't watch series or animes, they won't.

Googling encoding tutorials will help too, there's like a ton of them, and quite a lot are very good even tho not directly fraps/wow related. Add to that a Vegas tutorial and you're set.

#23 Eph

Eph

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 293 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 06:54 AM

Thanks, I followed that link and Pyros advice and went with xvid. So far excellent results.

#24 Shalas

Shalas

Bald Bull

• Members
  • 2,351 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 08:41 PM

If you're a bit more elitist, you can encode in mp4, it'll cut size by almost half for the same quality, but sadly unless people use an integrated player(like VLC) or have mp4 decoding codecs installed, they won't be able to play it, and for most of the people that don't watch series or animes, they won't.

mp4 is a container format, not a codec, and has almost nothing to do with file size. Unless you're trying to stuff Vorbis streams into an avi, the file size difference from avi is around 2%. Also, unless you're encoding one of the three videos that doesn't crash Snow, there are no codecs which come anywhere close to xvid's quality at half the size. Other than at extremely low bitrates, h264 generally only allows 10-20% lower bitrates for the same quality.

#25 Smartiepants

Smartiepants

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 10:04 PM

Hey, just wanted to ask a question.

I've been trying to FRAPS recent boss encounters, and I believe I have the PC to do so.

I have:
Q6600 Extreme
8600 GTS
2x 7200rpm HDD in RAID 0
2 GB RAM

So it should be fine in my opinion.

When I start recording, it slows down a little, but nothing too bad ~70 FPS -> 55 FPS

But when I go back to watch the video, it all runs choppily, and is nothing like I see on screen, any help with this?

#26 Penguin

Penguin

Not Enough Rage.

•  Patrons
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 10:24 PM

What are you watching the video in? Fraps records a raw take of your output, and that's going to be choppy in most video players until you compress it down using an encoder.

There's not some hidden "but he tries really hard" variable built into the game. -Slake

I always love the "it doesn't fit my style of play" line. There are only two styles of play; Correct, and Incorrect. The only people that ever use this line are people with the incorrect style of play. -Sebudai

#27 Joetest

Joetest

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 09:06 AM

I find 'MediaPlayerClassic' plays the FRAPS raw files fine, try using that. VLC seems to not display the video at all, even newer versions, and I have no idea for other players since MPC is better then most in almost every way. MPC comes packed in with the K-Lite Codec Pack or you can grab it separately here (sourceforge prjoect).

#28 Zenedra

Zenedra

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 01:33 AM

Have to ask.. did you try and watch the videoclip while still having WoW open? Because then you have the problem right there :)

Don't know about other OS'es but Windows don't like running videofootage in any mediaplayers while having d3d games running in the background.

#29 kniff

kniff

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 03:21 AM

One of the problems with playing a fraps-recorded raw videostream is the resolution and bitrate, which requires quite a fast PC (compare it to high-definition playback 720p/1080p) and if you do this at the same time as having wow running in the background you will have some problems.

But as someone else stated - if you compress it and render it to another format/codec the choppyness will most likely be a goner.

#30 Xav

Xav

Bald Bull

• Members
  • 2,469 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 10:14 PM

Thanks, I followed that link and Pyros advice and went with xvid. So far excellent results.

If I were you I would stick to Divx if you can - seems to be the most widely used codec, since I've encoded with a fair number of different types for private and public videos. Divx had the most success, played with the least errors on different players, and required the least amount of "omg I have to download that codec, where?" from people. Finally, I also think the divx configuration/setup is the easiest.

I think, though, that unless you get DivxPro, you're limited in resolution to 1280x960 or something - but there is a free trial.

#31 Shalas

Shalas

Bald Bull

• Members
  • 2,351 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 07:02 PM

Have to ask.. did you try and watch the videoclip while still having WoW open? Because then you have the problem right there :)

Don't know about other OS'es but Windows don't like running videofootage in any mediaplayers while having d3d games running in the background.

Windows has no problem with playing video while a game is running in the background. I generally do AH scans while watching anime without difficulty. The problem you're running into is that the video player isn't prioritized over WoW, so unless your processor is twice as fast as needed to play the video file, it isn't getting enough CPU time. This is easy to fix -- most media players have an option for "above normal" or "high" priority in the options somewhere, and if not you can manually set it with taskman (or just use a player that isn't terrible).

If I were you I would stick to Divx if you can - seems to be the most widely used codec, since I've encoded with a fair number of different types for private and public videos. Divx had the most success, played with the least errors on different players, and required the least amount of "omg I have to download that codec, where?" from people. Finally, I also think the divx configuration/setup is the easiest.

DivX and XviD are different encoders for the same codec (MPEG-4 Layer 2 ASP). They used to have fairly different levels of implementation, but there's pretty much no difference these days.

#32 badMonkey

badMonkey

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 23 March 2008 - 10:43 PM

I have a question regarding WoW in windowed mode an FRAPSing.
Is it normal that my fps lowers to sub 10 when FRAPSing in windowed mode and is at about 35 when FRAPSing fullscreen? Can I do anything to increase my fps while FRAPSing windowed?

#33 Azhag

Azhag

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 24 March 2008 - 12:58 PM

If I set the Fraps settings to 25 or 30FPS (how I want to render my video) I can't play smooth anymore because the frames are limited to 25/30FPS obviously. Therefore I changed the Fraps settings to 80FPS for a familiar smooth play. But...

I have read much information about compressing/rendering and its often mentioned the basic material vertices
should be the same all over for perfect results.

Question:
Can I set 30FPS in the project settings (in Sony Vegas) for 80FPS frapsed raw material and render it with 30FPS without any speed/frame poblems?

#34 Shalas

Shalas

Bald Bull

• Members
  • 2,351 posts

Posted 24 March 2008 - 06:21 PM

If done well, dropping frames to get down to 30 FPS should produce a nearly identical result to recording at 30 FPS. I would recommend sticking to frame rates that are multiples of each other (i.e. record at 60 if you're planning to encode at 30). 80 -> 30 doesn't let you drop a constant number of frames between each output frame, so Vegas may either decide to blend frames (very bad) or do a bad job of choosing where to have the shorter gap.

#35 Gearknight

Gearknight

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 228 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 04:36 PM

Fraps refuses to record in full-size for any resolution higher than 1152x864 or 1280x800 (as per the documentation). However, we've all seen movies recorded in higher resolutions than these. Is this done using some hack to fraps, or some other software entirely?

Edit... nevermind. I'll go update my fraps.

#36 Terraburn

Terraburn

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 06:56 PM

Fraps refuses to record in full-size for any resolution higher than 1152x864 or 1280x800 (as per the documentation). However, we've all seen movies recorded in higher resolutions than these. Is this done using some hack to fraps, or some other software entirely?

Edit... nevermind. I'll go update my fraps.

That used to be limited to the number of cores your processor had. Supposedly they've updated Fraps to handle higher resolutions on single cores, though.

#37 Maligne

Maligne

Swing That Hammer

• Members
  • 2,939 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 08:12 PM

I finally upgraded my Fraps to get the ability to record full screen 1600x1200 resolution and I'm having FPS problems. It goes from 70ish down to 10 when I start recording. I can record half-size fine at around 25 fps. I have a 1.8 GHz single core CPU, 6600 256mb video, and a 7200 rpm HD. Is it just the slow CPU holding it back or is there something else I can try?

Actually pewsey, it's typed as z[tab] and it's pretty well established as the standard notation for the ziplist applicative functor.

#38 Daboran

Daboran

King Hippo

• Members
  • 681 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 07:20 AM

I'd suspect you are a little optmistic expecting your system to record at that resolution. Mine slows down substantially at that rez (2.4ghz DualCore at 3.2ghz and 2gb of 1066 ram / 8800GT).

Obviously transfer rate to hard drive is also an issue, but that's relatively cheap to fix nowadays.

#39 Cadfael

Cadfael

Witch doctors park in gear

•  Patrons
  • 3,819 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 08:10 AM

1600x1200 has four times as many pixels as 800x600, so expect performance drop to be 4 times as big. Could even be worse since that's not only more data to process but also to put through your IO subsystem to store on disk.

#40 Maligne

Maligne

Swing That Hammer

• Members
  • 2,939 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 02:20 PM

I guess I'll try a lower res then. I actually found out my WoW is running at something a bit lower than 16x12, something like 1050. Changing around some video settings yesterday got me to 19-20ish while recording, it's so close to being playable.

Actually pewsey, it's typed as z[tab] and it's pretty well established as the standard notation for the ziplist applicative functor.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users