• Please log in to reply
176 replies to this topic

#161 sp00n

sp00n

Bald Bull

• Members
  • 1836 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 01:33 AM

Ah I see. Did you try to disable the unlocked FPS option?
And what is your recording FPS set to? Remember, the more you enter here, the more has to be written to the disk per second. I don't know exactly how much the FRAPS codec does compress, but an uncompressed video of 1920 x 1080 x 32bit depth x 30 fps would be 1990656000 bit/s = 237 MByte/s that would have to be written to disk.
Obviously this is hard (if not impossible) to achieve for about any drive, but even with FRAPS' compression it can stress out a disk pretty much.
You could try to measure your disk throughput (I think HDTach worked for that, but I'm not sure) to find the best drive in your setup for writing speed.

Another issue that is often overlooked is to update the chipset drivers and/or disk controllers. If they're not working correctly, your overall (hdd) performance will suffer as well.

Also you may check out tools like CPU-Z and GPU-Z to monitor your CPU and GPU load and clock while frapsing. Maybe one of them is downlclocking due to heat issues (though that's a bit far fetched).

Stopped Playing

#162 Furial

Furial

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 11:40 AM

The result is the same locked or unlocked.
Fraps is set for 30 FPS so that's not the issue either. I ran a program to determine my HDD's min max and average writing speed and its not higher than 70-80 mb/s so I'm pretty sure that's as good as it will get.

I managed to find a SSD OCZ Vertex 2 60 GB with 285 MB/s reading speed and 275 MB/s writing speed for 110 euros so I've ordered 2. I plan on putting a clean install of Windows 7 and WoW on 1 disk (WoW takes between 23.5 to 25 GB after removing the Patches folder, the Update folder and any downloader or patch file you might have laying around and Windows can go from 9 GB install to a 12 GB install) and then dedicating my other SSD to Fraps. It seemed like a good deal and with the resolution I'm using, settings on max and fps recording demand I felt like the right thing to do. If by any odd chance I don't manage to get the desired FPS, I can put them in RAID0 for a stupid amount of writing speed.

Thanks for your help sp00n.

#163 sp00n

sp00n

Bald Bull

• Members
  • 1836 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 12:20 PM

Well, 70-80 MB/s should be plenty enough with Fraps' compression, I know it is for me and I'm using a 5400 rpm hdd to record my fraps, which I do in 1920x1080 as well. Although my FPS does drop to around 14 or lower in intensive fights, not due some unidentified bug but due to sheer missing CPU power (overclocked dual core E8200).
(Of course the video footage itself is still 30 FPS, there'll just be some repeated frames to get to 30.)

Anyway, I wouldn't neccessarily except your problems to go away if you update your hdd to SSD. Your problem doesn't seem to the hdd itself if it does reach 80 MB/s.

Stopped Playing

#164 Inquisition

Inquisition

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 10:07 PM

Hey, I've been playing around with Sony Vegas 10 and fraps recently... got the coloring, rendering and uploading and everything else down. Just one thing, when I upload my vid

YouTube - vegas4

as you can see the 720p and 1080p options are available however doesn't make much of a difference, any ideas?
specs:
CPU AMD Phenom II X4 955
Radeon HD 6800 Series
4GB Ram
AM3 Gigabyte 770T-USB3
1920x1080 resolution

EDIT: the vid was rendered with Mainconcept AVC/AAC type codec if that's relevant

#165 Elrath

Elrath

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 03:24 PM

That's EXTREMELY dark for a WoW movie... But if that's your preference...

In terms of the changes from 720p to 1080p, do you change the properties of the actual video in terms of the video size: 1920x1080?

What are the video settings in WoW in terms of resolution?

There are a bunch of tutorials out there that show you what to do to upload to YouTube in HD; I would recommend looking a bunch of them over.

#166 Heavenly

Heavenly

Ice Queen

• Members
  • 958 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 08:54 PM

Hey, I've been playing around with Sony Vegas 10 and fraps recently... got the coloring, rendering and uploading and everything else down. Just one thing, when I upload my vid

YouTube - vegas4

as you can see the 720p and 1080p options are available however doesn't make much of a difference, any ideas?

Try rendering/exporting the video at 1920x1072 before uploading to YouTube for the best quality.

GOD IS REAL AND HE IS TROLLING THE SHIT OUT OF US

#167 Ybnvs

Ybnvs

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 12:27 PM

I just got a new computer:

8GB DDR3 1600MHz
GeForce GTX 460 2GB Video Card
Intel i5 Quad core 3.0GHz

I have everything on Ultra and all options as high as they go with Vertical Sync off. I have no Max Foreground FPS and 50 max background FPS. I snag about 50-80 FPS with people running around Orgrimmar. I get upwards of 140 FPS in Arenas or low populated places and like 100 FPS in BGs.

I set Fraps (first time ever using) to Full Screen and 30 FPS. In arenas, my FPS drops from ~120 to ~60 when I record at 30 FPS. Are there any options in WoW or in Fraps that I can switch up to not get as much of a drop (Staying on Ultra)?

Right now I have 1 Hard Drive (1 TB) with 2 drives. When you are speaking of separating your Fraps and WoW Drives to increase performance, are you simply saying "Put WoW on C:/ and put Fraps on D:/" or on 2 physically separate Hard Drives? And if so, does it matter where I am saving the file to as it records?

Last thing, there is an option in Fraps to sync audio; I wan't to be able to separate audio from video (in cases where I would put music or something If I were to make a video) but also have it "synced" for when I want it as it sounded live. Also I want my voice recorded as well; is that the "input" option on Fraps?

Thanks for any help anyone could give to a new Fraps User.

#168 sp00n

sp00n

Bald Bull

• Members
  • 1836 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 01:52 PM

You will get no benefit from going from 60 fps to 120. This is no first person shooter where you want to come up with some magical fps number. 60 is more than enough for about everything

When you say you have "1 drive with 2 drives" I assume you mean 2 partitions. To achieve best performance, it is advised to place the recording directory of Fraps (not the installation directory) to a physically separated disk.

As for the audio, leave the option as is. Your recording is already seperated in a video stream and an audio stream, both saved within the AVI container. Use any tool to edit them.
For recording your own voice, that's actually something I still haven't figured out. You can do it (but I have forgotten how by now and am not on my gaming PC), but you will be (or at least I was) recording everything your microphone listens to, instead of utilizing Teamspeak's/Ventrilo's push-to-talk or voice activation. You could however directly record voice through those programs and mux the different audio streams later on (which you wanted to do anyway according to your description).

If anybody knows of an easy way to record game audio + Ventrilo audio including your own voice, and with using push-to-talk, by all means, please share it. It like my own voice in my videos as well. ;)

Stopped Playing

#169 Zene

Zene

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 08:18 PM

As was suggested try 1920x1072 this guy explains why this performs better quite well:

FRAPS, WoW, YouTube, and Encoding | HordePriest
Xav from Premonition also has a guide on how he does his HD videos:
How to optimize your video's playback in YouTube - Premonition :: Sen'jin (US)

For recording your own voice, that's actually something I still haven't figured out. You can do it (but I have forgotten how by now and am not on my gaming PC), but you will be (or at least I was) recording everything your microphone listens to, instead of utilizing Teamspeak's/Ventrilo's push-to-talk or voice activation. You could however directly record voice through those programs and mux the different audio streams later on (which you wanted to do anyway according to your description).

This is built into the latest version of Fraps. It joins the audio to one track still but it's supported. It can even be tied to a hotkey kind of like vent, so it only records your mic on top of the regular sound when you hit the key. Assuming you're a member you get free updates so just get the newest version:

FRAPS show fps, record video game movies, screen capture software

Posted Image

#170 sp00n

sp00n

Bald Bull

• Members
  • 1836 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 12:30 PM

Quite a few, however from reading I haven't found one with a better performance than FRAPS. Or quality. Or both.

Stopped Playing

#171 Bikiniwax

Bikiniwax

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 212 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 08:13 PM

This question was asked earlier in the thread but I didn't see an answer to it so I will ask again.

Running dual monitors: Main: (1900x1200 in windowed mode for WoW), Second: 1280x1024 on 2nd monitor for vent, browser, etc.

Would the latest version of Fraps allow me to record WoW on my main monitor (in windowed mode), while disregarding my secondary monitor?

#172 sp00n

sp00n

Bald Bull

• Members
  • 1836 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 07:41 AM

This question was asked earlier in the thread but I didn't see an answer to it so I will ask again.

Running dual monitors: Main: (1900x1200 in windowed mode for WoW), Second: 1280x1024 on 2nd monitor for vent, browser, etc.

Would the latest version of Fraps allow me to record WoW on my main monitor (in windowed mode), while disregarding my secondary monitor?

Of course, I've been never doing anything else, despite of the version. I do run WoW in windowed mode and manually maximize it (so that the task bar and menu bar is still visible).

Stopped Playing

#173 Tufft

Tufft

Suspiciously Confusing

• Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 06:56 PM

I actually use the Newest Window Movie Maker to encode my WoW fraps....It's free and has decent enough features. The built in Youtube and other uploading devices are nice too.

Super Short Sample
YouTube - ‪My Movie‬‏
....Clicker since 2005....

#174 cafiandra

cafiandra

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 07:36 PM

Hey there, actually Fraps only records from your main monitor so it will disregard your 2nd attached monitor. So its cool, however some players complain that they would like to record both of their monitors screen, but that is not possible at the moment.

Hope it helps!

#175 sp00n

sp00n

Bald Bull

• Members
  • 1836 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 09:57 PM

*necrothread*

I've noticed today that Fraps records with 650,000 kbps instead of the usual ~360,000 kbps on my PC after switchting to the 64 bit client of WoW.
I can't view the video files without lag now on my computer without encoding them. :tinfoil:

Stopped Playing

#176 quindo

quindo

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 11:04 PM

I'm starting to regularly fraps fights to learn more about the fight as well as cleaning up my ui.

Anyway, what I wind up with is a ton of space-hogging fraps movies. I'd like to implement this workflow:
1) fraps freely
2) after the raid, add all the new raw videos to a queue to compress
3) delete the raw movies
4) upload them somewhere for archiving and later review

I am tentatively trying virtualdub to encode into h.264. Anyone else have suggestions for encoding software? How about for batch encoding? Anyone use any other software or automated workflows to keep this easy to maintain? My end goal is to click one button/run one batch file to take care of steps 2-4 after I'm done with my raid.

I need to start using a workflow like that. Right now I am dumping all of the raw footage to a external usb drive during recording to prevent my main drive from getting overworked.

As for batch encoding you might have the best luck looking for a CLI tool for handling the encoding. Any one click solution will probably cost a lot more then it would be worth.

#177 sp00n

sp00n

Bald Bull

• Members
  • 1836 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 09:27 AM

Does anybody have any advice on live streaming? I can fraps just fine in 1920x1080, but live streaming just steals too much FPS to be able to raid comfortable.
I've tried it with VHScrCap and Adobe Flash Media Live Encoder 3.2, and on occasion I dropped down to 4 fps. Are there any best practices, settings or different tools I could try?

My available upload speed would be able to handle > 8000 kbps, which is way out of reach for my computer it seems.

Stopped Playing

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users