• Please log in to reply
201 replies to this topic

#1 Optikalusion

Optikalusion

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 04:13 PM

A very gifted guildie of mine (Meloeth, EU-The Maelstrom) wrote an addon that uses combat log events and information to calculate health amounts as they occur rather than waiting for the UNIT_HEALTH tag from the server. It's been extensively tested in our guild the last few months and he's finally released it:

Instant Health | World of Warcraft Addons | World of Warcraft @ Curse.com

Healing using this and grid/pitbull was error-free and the difference immediately noticable. Health bars are extremely reactive to all incoming/outgoing changes. You will also notice that your and other's health bars dip into the negative before the server catches up and actually 'kills' you. It is possible, though rare, to save someone who dips into the negative if they are healed before the server catches up, or also to avoid a hit that would otherwise kill you by vanishing/blocking/bubbling.

The single detriment is that Recount and other damage meters will not show accurate healing meters using this addon. As the health update is instant, the meter waits for the unit_health message and then tends to view most healing as overhealing.**

**edit: Meloeth has updated his code and now all damage meter and combat text addons should play nicely. Make sure you download the newest version on the Curse Page!!!

In any case it is a large improvement and I recommend it to everyone. It is also something I haven't seen before which is why I thought it deserved it's own thread.

Meloeth has explained the mechanics further on his Curse page, Enjoy!

#2 world

world

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 08:53 PM

Initial impressions are good. However, after 10 minutes of testing in a battleground, it seems like it cant handle the Spirit Res thing - it reports people at 1 health until they take damage after a res. Also, with Spirit of Redemption, sometimes it reports it as full health, sometimes as 1 health. Otherwise looks good though!

#3 Dollar

Dollar

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 239 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 10:44 PM

Seems like a very nice addon from just testing it by myself but I'll reserve final judgment until Felmyst tonight. There are lots of times where I know an aoe has gone off and I don't see it on grid for a good 1-2 seconds which seems to be mended with this addon. Thanks.
"Oh he's a sad little man? He's thrown a kettle over a pub, what have you done?"

#4 funkydude

funkydude

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 151 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 10:44 PM

Interesting addon, I didn't think UNIT_HEALTH was so badly affected by latency.

Initial impressions are good. However, after 10 minutes of testing in a battleground, it seems like it cant handle the Spirit Res thing - it reports people at 1 health until they take damage after a res. Also, with Spirit of Redemption, sometimes it reports it as full health, sometimes as 1 health. Otherwise looks good though!

Should be fixable with a few events.

Although, I'm not sure how you plan to add health from buffs, are you scanning health at some point?
Author of BadBoy, BigWigs, and more...

#5 Malan

Malan

Mike Tyson

• Allied Members
  • 29,830 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 01:24 AM

Interesting addon, I didn't think UNIT_HEALTH was so badly affected by latency.

I think you can see the effect of it when you view death reports from Expiration sometimes on Brutallus, you'll see a MH OH hit when the tank is say 75%, see 8 heals land, and then suddenly it says he died with no other damage taken. The health update was after the damage had already killed him and also after the heals claimed to have landed.

#6 Andrast

Andrast

King Hippo

• Members
  • 723 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 04:05 AM

Although, I'm not sure how you plan to add health from buffs, are you scanning health at some point?

I'm curious how this works too. How does it handle effects such as Nightmare Seed and Last Stand?

Also I'm not entirely sure I understand why healing meters are thrown off by this. I've installed the mod and will look at it tonight in Sunwell.

#7 Grengorr

Grengorr

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 06:57 AM

Running this mod would not affect the combatlog, and hence screw with WWS, correct?

#8 vorda

vorda

Bald Bull

• Members
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 10:18 AM

Running this mod would not affect the combatlog, and hence screw with WWS, correct?

Pretty sure this is correct as I think /combatlog output cannot be influenced in any way trough addons.

#9 Optikalusion

Optikalusion

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 10:38 AM

The addon shouldn't affect the combat log or WWS at all.

As far as the added health effects, I think that the addon checks against current health values on the health update hook, insuring that the players/member's max health value is constant, and then calculates the change in that value using combat log data <----- This could be totally wrong as I'm just a lowly user and don't pretend to truly understand how this works :)

I have invited Meloeth to register here and take part in the discussion. I'm sure he can answer your questions better than I.

#10 Zypora

Zypora

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 10:46 AM

Hey

I am interested in testing this addon. Got some question anyway :

Recount is taking in consideration PoM, Renew. That is the reason why I use recount as other addons don't. Is PoM and renew also taken in consideration in this addon?
Also, what about healing buffs?
Recount has a graphical environment that explains very clearly who is casting what and by how much. As well for dps as for healing. As wel in numbers as in bars. Is it same in your addon pls?

Many thanks

Zypora

#11 vorda

vorda

Bald Bull

• Members
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 11:23 AM

Are you sure you read what this addon does Zypora? I recommend you read the first post/curse page again. And again.

ps: there is nothing special about Renew, it has always worked the way it should on every meter

#12 Zypora

Zypora

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 11:49 AM

Yup Vorda,

you are right, misunderstood. I have been a bit to fast.
/offtopic :)

#13 Xelopheris

Xelopheris

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 164 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 12:13 PM

How does this handle Kalecgos? A lot of times, you're not in combat lot range of half the raid.

#14 groon

groon

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 12:16 PM

How does this handle Kalecgos? A lot of times, you're not in combat lot range of half the raid.

If the combatlog cant catch them, this addon wont either, and tbh it really doesn't matter from a healers pov as if they're oor, you can't heal them.

#15 Xelopheris

Xelopheris

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 164 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 12:50 PM

If the combatlog cant catch them, this addon wont either, and tbh it really doesn't matter from a healers pov as if they're oor, you can't heal them.

Healer A enters portal 3 seconds before DPS B. As Healer A's Spectral Realm debuff falls off, demon begins casting shadow bolt volley. DPS B is hit by volley before exiting. Healer A is responsible for healing DPS B, but didn't catch that damage in the combat log, therefore, health bar hasn't updated.

Does it still update on a HEALTH_UPDATE event or what?

#16 Duncan

Duncan

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 215 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 01:03 PM

You have to rely on the regular health update in this case, it seems. Wich isn't that way off to make it impossible to heal, at least it worked forever until this addon came out.

#17 Grital

Grital

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 03:21 PM

Actually saved a tank with NS last night. Health was negative and I popped it, he didn't die. So far really liking this add-on, it makes everything feel much more responsive.

#18 Dollar

Dollar

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 239 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 03:25 PM

I'm pretty sure when you are out of combat log range it just does it the old fashioned way.

edit: beaten
"Oh he's a sad little man? He's thrown a kettle over a pub, what have you done?"

#19 Saerjin

Saerjin

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 03:50 PM

The only issue I'm having with it, is that SCT doesnt seem to work with it.

Granted I'm testing it in AV, but I figured the best place to try it, would be one of the places it would seem to work the worst.

Updates on players close to me come incredibly fast, especially since its PVP.

To elaborate on the SCT issue, most of my heals show up as overheals, and sometimes I'm unsure if it is reporting people's correct health.

I do really like the fast updates in grid however, and hope that the mod gets more attention.

#20 Dollar

Dollar

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 239 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 04:41 PM

The only issue I'm having with it, is that SCT doesnt seem to work with it.

Granted I'm testing it in AV, but I figured the best place to try it, would be one of the places it would seem to work the worst.

Updates on players close to me come incredibly fast, especially since its PVP.

To elaborate on the SCT issue, most of my heals show up as overheals, and sometimes I'm unsure if it is reporting people's correct health.

I do really like the fast updates in grid however, and hope that the mod gets more attention.

It's happening to me too with MSBT, everything shows as overheal. It's definitely worth being able to see damage instantly rather than 1-2 seconds later though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users