• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 magnetic

magnetic

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 28 July 2005 - 05:36 PM

Is there any truth to the notion that resisting, breaking via tremor, pvp trinket, wotf or berzerker stance causes and undue amount of agro from onyxia?

In my experiance it did not, however so many folks swear that the instant they break fear they are getting agro.

This is a pretty controversial issue with my set and even though we managed to
win without using fear trinkets and tremors.

To bunk or debunk that is the question.

Edited for miss use of the word iconoclast

#2 Relwin

Relwin

Lucas Cat

• Moderators
  • 6,926 posts

Posted 28 July 2005 - 05:41 PM

To the best of my knowledge breaking fear is fine for aggro management. Resisting it on the other hand is a no-no. However, this does bring into account the fact that often, when farming in EPL, I'll get feared by one of the mobs in Noxious Glade and happen to have a totem down. The mob will fear me and make a beeline for whatever totem it may happen to be. This is right in line with whenever a mob sleeps you or knocks you back they move onto a more active target and this may be what they are experiencing.

#3 Graham

Graham

Soda Popinski

• Guild Members
  • 3,833 posts

Posted 28 July 2005 - 05:49 PM

1) Onyxia Fears.
2) Onyxia Aggro Checks. Anyone within range and unfeared is new primary target.

Steps one and two happen basically silumltaneously.

That means that if she fears, you take the second or so needed to break it, she's already picked her bitch for the duration of the fear. BUT, if you resist the fear, then it's your ass and probably the ass of anyone near you.

#4 Kaubel

Kaubel

Sledgehammer Emeritus

• Guild Members
  • 24,561 posts

Posted 28 July 2005 - 05:53 PM

/\/\/\/\/\/\
I lose. :(

Break fear all you want. The agro check happens immediately after fear has been cast. So if you're in combat, and not initially running around feared, you're getting pushed up the agro ladder.

On a related note, a similar thing happens with Azuregos and his teleport. If you're out of it's agro-wiping range, Az will most certainly make a beeline for you.

I've been trying to concentrate on studying for my Proof Methods test tomorrow, and all I can think of is your hotness, radiating out from the pixels on my monitor, seared straight into my neurons.

#5 Scorpio!

Scorpio!

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 29 July 2005 - 07:14 PM

shadow prot your main tank, shadow prot your priests, and when she fears and you resist, you fade.

I've never gotten in trouble by resisting fears, because I always have aggro management.
however: don't shadow prot a mage. High damage mages get hate really bad if they throw a shot right when the fear goes off: the damage goes off after the fear, and if the mage resists, the shot hits the dragon and the mage gets aggro. RE: kills all ranged DPS.

#6 Praetorian

Praetorian

Mike Tyson

• ♦ Administrators
  • 27,801 posts

Posted 29 July 2005 - 08:19 PM

Onyxia's Fear is not Shadow-based.

#7 Flavahbeast

Flavahbeast

im chocula

• Moderators
  • 2,731 posts

Posted 29 July 2005 - 08:31 PM

it might be a fluke, but on our last kill I used WoTF after being hit by fear and and onyxia immediately turned on me and blew up some dudes. That's the only time I've seen that happen though

#8 Scorpio!

Scorpio!

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 31 July 2005 - 11:31 PM

Onyxia's Fear is not Shadow-based.

lies. Maybe it just seems like I resist a ton more with shadow prot on =(

#9 magnetic

magnetic

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 03:58 PM

Thanks for the heads up guys, this information confirms my suspicions and adds some new ones.

#10 Praetorian

Praetorian

Mike Tyson

• ♦ Administrators
  • 27,801 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 05:37 PM

Magmadar's Fear:

Panic
School: Shadow
Dispel Type: Magic
Cast Time: Instant
Level: 62
Duration: 8
Range: 0

Effect: Aura
Base: 1
Radius: 45
Aura: Fear

----

Onyxia's Fear:
Bellowing Roar
School: Physical
Cast Time: 1.5
Level: 60
Duration: 3
Range: 0

Effect: Aura
Radius: 100
Aura: Fear

Effect: Activate Object
Radius: 13

----

Not shadow-based.

#11 magnetic

magnetic

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 09:03 PM

This stands to reason, as in classic dragon myth, they always have an innate
"dragon fear" aspect.

However the question begs to be asked, what metric is used to determine resist?
Is it the standard blizzard %5 chance modified by level? Leaving everyone with the same chance to resist; barring items, talents or racial traits.

Does the priest talent that increases resistance to fear and stun for example modify this chance?

#12 Kaubel

Kaubel

Sledgehammer Emeritus

• Guild Members
  • 24,561 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 09:59 PM

Onyxia's Fear:
Bellowing Roar
Cast Time: 1.5

<cave shake> FEAR COMING!

I've been trying to concentrate on studying for my Proof Methods test tomorrow, and all I can think of is your hotness, radiating out from the pixels on my monitor, seared straight into my neurons.

#13 Ultramax

Ultramax

Soda Popinski

• Guild Members
  • 2,844 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 10:34 PM

However the question begs to be asked, what metric is used to determine resist?
Is it the standard blizzard %5 chance modified by level? Leaving everyone with the same chance to resist; barring items, talents or racial traits.

Does the priest talent that increases resistance to fear and stun for example modify this chance?

I think the answer to both is yes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users