• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4353 replies to this topic

#4341 mopsie2002

mopsie2002

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 12:47 AM

Hopefully you're working on a new spreadsheet to incorporate the upcoming lack or armor penetration? I rely on this spreadsheet far too much....

#4342 Luckyshot

Luckyshot

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 11:41 PM

Hopefully you're working on a new spreadsheet to incorporate the upcoming lack or armor penetration? I rely on this spreadsheet far too much....

You realize its not just about armor penetration on gear. Our whole resource system and class mechanics will change tuesday. Changing gear itemization alone will not maintain accuracy of the spreadsheet. This is no small undertaking and hopefully Shandara plans to still maintain it.

#4343 Shandara

Shandara

Great Tiger

• Members
  • 991 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 09:52 AM

I do plan to update the sheet. With 4.0.1 imminent and hopefully all the gear changes going onto the armoury I hope to find some time to update the sheet.

As said above, it will require reworking of the whole shot rotation logic, although the larger framework should be staying the same.

#4344 Hirgux

Hirgux

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 09:45 PM

/cheer
I don't know how all item are formatted in you excel sheet, but maybe you can put the item/stat list on googledocs and we all can help you editing the new values?

#4345 torii

torii

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 06:46 PM

I do plan to update the sheet. With 4.0.1 imminent and hopefully all the gear changes going onto the armoury I hope to find some time to update the sheet.

As said above, it will require reworking of the whole shot rotation logic, although the larger framework should be staying the same.

Greetings and many thanks to you Shandara,

As an avid user of this spreadsheet for quite some time I look forward to a 4.0.1 version. On the surface to me it seems like a relatively large undertaking -- the sheer volume of item, talent and resource changes is nontrivial.

That said, do you think it would be helpful to create a sourceforge or googlecode site for it so others might be able to help contribute/reduce the load with the core changes?

SourceForge.net: Download and Develop Open Source Software for Free
GettingStarted - support - A quick guide to getting started with project hosting on Google Code. - Project Hosting on Google Code

Cheers,
Toriigate of Saurfang

#4346 MaikuMori

MaikuMori

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 08:08 PM

the sheer volume of item, talent and resource changes is nontrivial.

I believe the item changes are simply pulled in from a source such as wow armory or most likely wowhead.com. I don't think it's done by hand. Updating the logic and calculations is the real problem.

#4347 Shandara

Shandara

Great Tiger

• Members
  • 991 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 08:52 AM

I believe the item changes are simply pulled in from a source such as wow armory or most likely wowhead.com. I don't think it's done by hand. Updating the logic and calculations is the real problem.

The items aren't the problem, no, merely a case of fixing my wowhead scraping routines and running them.

EDIT:
Finished importing updated items, working on stats now.

#4348 Chasim

Chasim

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 11:17 PM

Shandara - Will the revised spreadsheet handle Reforging in some way?

#4349 baklava

baklava

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 06:37 AM

Shandara - Will the revised spreadsheet handle Reforging in some way?

I believe it is easy task to do, So most probably there will be! The main problem will be the stats, rotation and theoretical dps values.

#4350 Cactuscat

Cactuscat

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 12:30 PM

I do agree that making a spreadsheet for 4.0.1 is not a priority

But of course, a lot of the work that would go into a spreadsheet for 4.0.1 should be (relatively) easily transferable to a spreadsheet for full-blown Cata - even if the numbers are adjusted, the general algorithms should stay the same. So yes, while we don't need a spreadsheet for 4.0.1, the work isn't wasted. Anyway, any work Shandara puts in is greatly appreciated by all of us here, I'm sure.

Regarding the reforging question... How would the spreadsheet handle that? As of all the previous versions, I'm fairly certain (correct me if I'm wrong) that it was just getting raw item data from Wowhead.

#4351 Midnight

Midnight

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 378 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 12:41 PM

But of course, a lot of the work that would go into a spreadsheet for 4.0.1 should be (relatively) easily transferable to a spreadsheet for full-blown Cata - even if the numbers are adjusted, the general algorithms should stay the same. So yes, while we don't need a spreadsheet for 4.0.1, the work isn't wasted. Anyway, any work Shandara puts in is greatly appreciated by all of us here, I'm sure.

Regarding the reforging question... How would the spreadsheet handle that? As of all the previous versions, I'm fairly certain (correct me if I'm wrong) that it was just getting raw item data from Wowhead.

I don´t think reforging by itself will be very difficult to implement. Basically it´s not so different from hand adjusting stats within certain constraints. What will be difficult if not impossible to do is optimizing for it automatically. As far as I can tell optimizing gems used to be tricky alreadyl, reforging is taking that to a new level.
FaceShooter - a hunter shot recommendation AddOn
The optimism of action is better than the pessimism of thought.
- Greenpeace UK

#4352 leiasolo

leiasolo

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 October 2010 - 10:39 PM

I would imagine you could handle reforging as an enchantment.
Every piece has several available reforges:

crit -> mastery
hit -> haste
etc.

when a mastery is selected it checks that the goal stat on the gear is zero, if so it takes 40% of the stat to get rid of and puts -X in that column and +X in the column of the goal stat.

How it would work with optimization...no clue. Similar to gems I would suppose, but I'm not entirely sure what kind of algorithm Shandara is using for optimization anyway. Simulated Annealing? Genetic Algorithms? Brute force? Iterative deepening search? A*? how easy reforging is to add, will probably depend heavily on the implementation.

Thanks so much for your hard work Shandara, throughout WotLK and beyond!
I'll be waiting patiently.

#4353 Heuristic

Heuristic

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 02:02 PM

Reforging could be greatly simplified by doing it in the aggregate instead of item-by-item. Once the spreadsheet has calculated marginal DPS gain per point for each secondary stat, solve for the point at which the next best stat scales better (as in, "Haste is my worst stat and Mastery my best. If I stack mastery, at what point does crit get me more DPS per point?"). If that point is higher than what can be reached through reforging, recommend the player to reforge everything to the best secondary stat. If not, recommend the player reforge to that breakpoint and reforge the rest to the other stat.

#4354 Narcosleepy

Narcosleepy

It's not you. Really. I hate everyone.

• ♦ Administrators
  • 8,686 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 03:10 AM

In the interest of Cataclysm launching tonight we are going to close the current threads. I have sent a PM to the OP to see if they wish to continue their much appreciated work in the Cataclysm thread. Please look for it in the near future.
If this signature offends you please complain to the management.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users