296 replies to this topic

#41 Roflmeow

Roflmeow

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 08:38 PM

Levva,

I don't suppose you'd be willing to add an alternative skin for the maelstrom counter?

I started using it yesterday and while it provides a wealth of information, as stated above does take alot of space.

I scrabbled up an idea to retain it's functionality, and yet also make the size more manageable.

Sorry for the image size, I'm not sure how to resize them for the forums in a post. They are in PNG format so they retain their editability if you want to use it. If not shoot me a PM and i'll kill them from the post.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#42 Malan

Malan

Mike Tyson

• Allied Members
  • 29,830 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 08:45 PM

One further suggestion:
I keep the old (und pretty useless) TotemTimer for one reason: I can give keybindings to stuff like Water Shield, WF or FT via the key selection menue (don´t really know the official English name, sorry).

Ugh, please don't make this the "Everything and the kitchen sink" addon. This works fine for what it is, an Enhancement shaman addon. There's tons of general purpose totem management addons out there.

#43 Levva

Levva

In Awe of Shocks

• Members
  • 792 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 11:42 PM

With regard to the scaling. It can scale from 0.25 to 3 times its size. I can change this range if people want it even smaller.

The issue would seem to have been that everyone was using the command line to configure the addon and its not at all clear how to set the scale. I've updated the help message to give the valid range.

I've also added a message to recommend that you DON'T configure using the command line and instead use the Blizzard menu. ie: Press ESC, select interface then select the Addons tab and click on ShockAndAwe to get all the config options in a very easy to use graphical interface.

On the other issue of keybinds for totems etc. Malan is right there are lots of Shaman addons that deal with totems. The focus of this addon is Enhancement Shamans and their abilities. So I won't add totem stuff. That doesn't mean to say I won't hack around a different addon for totems and generic Shammy stuff that might have extra options for Enh Shaman.

My design philosophy is to add new features that people suggest or I feel would be useful but always to make them optional. Also any optional setting will NOT do any processing if the option is off. This means that those people who use one or two features will not be penalised because others want more from the addon.

Version 3.0 will be up shortly. I noticed a few gotchas once patch 3.0.2 went live - one of which was missing initialised variables if on first logging in you get kicked off the server and it thinks it had set everything up. A rare occurence but it happened to me - compounded by having zero talents at the time - thus exposing a rare bug where it would crash with nil values, due to no talents and partially created setup data. The GCD bar's spark also seemed to be offset in the opposite direction that it was on the beta!!

I've also added something I have missed since long ago I stopped using Shaman Friend. The display of the total value of a WF or SS proccing WF hit. So now there is an option to display in SCT (Scrolling Combat Text) the total damage you did in that single strike (hit + 2 WF or both SS hits + 2 WF).
Author of ShockAndAwe Enhancement Shaman max dps addon
Please use the EnhSim by Ziff & others to simulate what gear, priorities etc are the best dps. You can use ShockAndAwe to export your paperdoll stats to EnhSim.

#44 Rosoe

Rosoe

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 12:21 AM

Ah, yes, that worked much much better for resizing. Thank you. :) Now I just have to learn to pay attention to all the bars. I have - until now - been just using SS every time it was off CD.

#45 Malan

Malan

Mike Tyson

• Allied Members
  • 29,830 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 12:49 AM

I've also added something I have missed since long ago I stopped using Shaman Friend.

Along that line of thought, I saw today that the author of ShamanFriend said he had no intention of continuing the addon. I used it for the weapon buffs missing warnings (sound/chat/error frame warnings), and the purge feedback (spammed chat output with what buffs you removed). Think those fit with ShockAndAwe?

Bug report - latest version has some option "/saa bars break1" that throws a lua error if I try it. Caption says "bars section"

#46 Sagus

Sagus

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 04:21 AM

One glitch I've found is that when I'm duoing with my girlfriend's enh shammy, if she Stormstrikes, then I stormstrike, the stormstrike bar shows up for a split second then disappears.

#47 Vissi

Vissi

Lost and Confused

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 07:29 AM

Thanks so much for this addon you are doing a great job with it :)

Bug: I am using v 2.9.3 and when i try and change the texture to one of the ones in sharedmedia i get the following error:
ShockAndAwe.lua:1288: Attempt to find 'this' in a non-table object (used '.' instead of ':' ?)

I do have a feature request though: Can you add a method to disable bars/sounds when out of combat and have them re-enabled when in combat?

[e] for formatting.

#48 Gavain

Gavain

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 08:57 AM

I never spoke about Totem management, and you are right to keep it focused on its originally purpose.

Keybindings for weapon enchants and shields was all I thought of, because its nice to have, but not essential.
TotemTimers has been updated too, so this may be covered by enough other tools.

I played around only a little bit yesterday, looks stable so far. Nice range of sounds for MW, call me a satisfied customer :)

#49 Levva

Levva

In Awe of Shocks

• Members
  • 792 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 09:28 AM

Along that line of thought, I saw today that the author of ShamanFriend said he had no intention of continuing the addon. I used it for the weapon buffs missing warnings (sound/chat/error frame warnings), and the purge feedback (spammed chat output with what buffs you removed). Think those fit with ShockAndAwe?

Bug report - latest version has some option "/saa bars break1" that throws a lua error if I try it. Caption says "bars section"

Yeah Weapon Buffs missing is on todo list. I need to think of how best to deal with choices of weapon buff. I'm currently thinking of the options menu having a MH & an OH drop down so you pick which buff you want on which weapon (perhaps with a WTF are you thinking error msg if someone chooses Rockbiter :D). I could then incorporate a keybind to check if missing and rebuff with one key perhaps.

I can add purge feedback to the list too.

I noted the command list "break1" issue last night when investigating the scaling issue and noted that the header rows (eg: break1) were showing in the command line text report. V3.00 tidies up the command line and adds a help option suggesting people use the built in blizzard gui config panel that I've spent a lot more time fixing. I'd not noticed the command line issues because other than /saa version and /saa moveframes I never used the command line.

V3.00 is available on wowace.com as an alpha, it includes support for showing WF/SS total damage in Scrolling Combat Text if installed. However time ran out last night so I committed what I had done and will work on it again this evening.

One glitch I've found is that when I'm duoing with my girlfriend's enh shammy, if she Stormstrikes, then I stormstrike, the stormstrike bar shows up for a split second then disappears.

Hmm interesting. Can you confirm the version you are using please. It may just be that the filtered combat log wasn't not properly filtering on only personal spells. I re-wrote the combat log handler for version 3.0 (see above for availability details) so it may already be fixed.

Thanks so much for this addon you are doing a great job with it :)

Bug: I am using v 2.9.3 and when i try and change the texture to one of the ones in sharedmedia i get the following error:
ShockAndAwe.lua:1288: Attempt to find 'this' in a non-table object (used '.' instead of ':' ?)

I do have a feature request though: Can you add a method to disable bars/sounds when out of combat and have them re-enabled when in combat?

Thanks for bug report. Yup that's a simple typo, will fix for v3.00. I can look at adding an explicit hide out of combat option. For now have you tried turning off the shield bar when its up? The shield bar should be the only one that displays out of combat, unless you leave combat with 5 MW and leave it hanging around warning you for 30 seconds!!

I never spoke about Totem management, and you are right to keep it focused on its originally purpose.

Keybindings for weapon enchants and shields was all I thought of, because its nice to have, but not essential.
TotemTimers has been updated too, so this may be covered by enough other tools.

I played around only a little bit yesterday, looks stable so far. Nice range of sounds for MW, call me a satisfied customer :)

See above I can see if I can add keybind for weapon enchant. The problem with shield keybinds is which you use. I suppose if I can figure out keybinds for weapon enchants adding a couple of extra keybinds for the shields should be easy as there would be no need to have any other interface bar the blizzard keybind section.

BTW I was thinking about your previous comments when I added the "LevelUp" loud noise on 5 MW. Difficult to miss that every 3 seconds by default :) Of course it can be changed or disabled for the younger crowd ;)
Please use the EnhSim by Ziff & others to simulate what gear, priorities etc are the best dps. You can use ShockAndAwe to export your paperdoll stats to EnhSim.

#50 Gavain

Gavain

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 10:00 AM

FelNova is just fine for us older folks...but if you find anything more louder, explosive or AC/DC-like, I´ll take it :)

#51 Levva

Levva

In Awe of Shocks

• Members
  • 792 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 10:24 AM

FelNova is just finde for us older folks...but if you find anything more louder, explosive or AC/DC-like, I´ll take it :)

Hehe, get SharedMedia addon and you can add any .wav file you like. So if you have a favourite AC/DC soundbite you can rip it save as .wav and install it with SharedMedia and suddenly you have the option to have your MW play a rock track at 5 stacks!!!

#52 Gavain

Gavain

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 11:20 AM

A few more thoughts/ideas...but as said before it is fine just as it is already !

- movable bars
It may be a nice option to drag&drop every bar for itself, not as a complete box. That said, also to flip the bars so you could place it vertically/horizontally might be nice in terms of customizing.

- attention-box
So we use LB with MW-stacks, SS, ES, LL with priority list, for whatever is out of cd. This "forces" you to watch your CD´s on your UI, or place your bars somewhere to watch. Either way it keeps your eyes from the center of attention. Thats one reason I use a HUD and I would normally place your box with bars somewhere at the border, because of the space they need.
So in addition to your bars there might be a nice idea to use an attention-box which shows the Icon of SS,LL, ES whenever they go off cd. Don´t know if you ever played LotRO - like the group-maneuver box there.

Staying invisible out of combat so you can place it somwhere in the center, nothing more than moveable icons for SS,LL,ES (and maybe LB when 5 stacks MW are up) that only show up when they are off cd in combat. I could place them in my HUD like combo-points or around my health bar...you get the idea I think. They should be moveable per drag&drop and you should be able to change the size. Wouldn´t bother with background either, just the pure Icons of our priority tools.

I myself have no idea how difficult it is to generate such things...so, just some input of ideas, nothing more...it´s already fine in its current state

#53 Levva

Levva

In Awe of Shocks

• Members
  • 792 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 01:10 PM

A priority box is a good idea. I was looking to tidy up the icons that suggested priorities before. Now all the changes no longer make FS or LvB viable suggesting these is not longer appropriate and have been disabled (apart from FS I think).

Changing these to simply an option to put an icon on the bar for those who forget which bar is which might be better. Then implementing a separate priority frame that showed a resizable icon for what the suggested priority should be. This could easily be tied to the firing of the GCD. So that as soon as we are in GCD it updates the priority ready for the next ability.

The ability to move bars independently and/or making them vertical is a lot of additional work, whilst its a nice extra customisation it doesn't really add much to the usability of the addon so I'd put that fairly low down the list. I score higher features that enhance our ease of use and also those that are easier to code :)

#54 Gavain

Gavain

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 01:37 PM

thx for the response...moveable bars would really just be some icing on the cake.

But to have a hidden box, which pops up the icons of our priority-spells when they come out of cd in combat would be really a cool feature...and that it even sorts out the highest priority as you described would be great...so I would just need a tiny space somwhere in the center where the current ability-icon which is off cd pops up.

Maybe you can add a priority setup, so everybody can definate his own priorites for the box...and include LB connected to 5 stacks MW.

That would make it really easy to keep track of your cooldowns and highest prority ability...if you can ever make that work...I bake you a chocolat-cake :)
I can resist anything, but temptation (O.Wilde)

#55 Vissi

Vissi

Lost and Confused

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 02:38 PM

Thanks for bug report. Yup that's a simple typo, will fix for v3.00. I can look at adding an explicit hide out of combat option. For now have you tried turning off the shield bar when its up? The shield bar should be the only one that displays out of combat, unless you leave combat with 5 MW and leave it hanging around warning you for 30 seconds!!

The shield bar is not a big deal to me :) it's the MW, especially with sounds.

#56 Malan

Malan

Mike Tyson

• Allied Members
  • 29,830 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 04:04 PM

MW sound suggestion: the sound made when applying a major glyph.

#57 Deltron

Deltron

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 04:10 PM

I used ShockAndAwe last night in sunwell, I am in love. Great mod! The sound announce of MW is awesome and keeps me from staring at bars.

#58 Sagus

Sagus

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 07:22 PM

The error was occurring for me in 2.93. I haven't checked to see if it still occurs in 3.

#59 Levva

Levva

In Awe of Shocks

• Members
  • 792 posts

Posted 17 October 2008 - 12:43 AM

I read this evening that there appears to be a bug in live where two Enh Shammys side by side seem to be refreshing each others SS regardless of addons. I've been too busy with ShockAndAwe to confirm this. Can you check and instead of looking at ShockAndAwe look at the debuff on your target and see if you are refreshing each others SS debuffs.

This weird behaviour should show up in the combat log too so try a /combatlog to start it test it out then /combatlog again - log out of game to save the file to disk and check your logs directory to see what the combat log saved. This test will help Blizzard fix the bug too.

#60 Levva

Levva

In Awe of Shocks

• Members
  • 792 posts

Posted 17 October 2008 - 12:47 AM

Updated version to v3.01

Change log is :

Version 3.00
Remove Lava Burst bar
Tidy up command line config menus and add a help message to direct to Blizzard config options
Clarified how scaling works by updating help message
Fixed typo in setting bar textures
Split options, uptime & stats off into separate lua files for easier maintenance
Add support for recording WF & SS total dmg and displaying in Scrolling Combat Text (if installed)

Version 3.01
Fixed sparkpoint for gcdbar being wrong place if bar width changed
Fix width of bar frame when bar width changed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users