Photo

Death Knight rune addons: How can we do better?

• Please log in to reply
294 replies to this topic

#281 Asphyxialol

Asphyxialol

TEH DEEPZ!!!

• Allied Members
  • 1768 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 08:02 PM

Ah yes, I forgot that was how the libraries worked.

Either way, my other points still stand, it refreshes slowly, and the spacing system does not function as it should (imo) when using the command. On my client, for instance, it is impossible to achieve a 1px spacing on the vertical bar layout, as there is always at least one bar overlapping the other one or not spacing correctly, forcing you to 2-3px space it to make the bars separate correctly (and aesthetically). The same issue exists with the other mod I mentioned above (Simple Runes Bar), where you cannot space the bars 1px apart from one another, there is always 1-2 bars overlapping and thus you need to space them even more. The only mod I know of which can space them correctly is STUF, but I choose to not use that because of the configuration involved (I find it much easier and convenient to use Pitbull over STUF).

#282 Dayn

Dayn

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 09:25 PM

Regarding the inability of mods to have pixel-perfect layouts, this is more a limitation of the Blizzard UI than it is of the individual mods. What mods think of as "pixels" are actually scaled by the Blizzard UI, and they're scaled differently depending upon what resolution you're playing at. There is no way for a mod to know for sure what the true pixel dimensions of the WoW display are, so most mods don't even make an effort to guess. Scanning through STUF, it looks like it's relying on a combination of GetScreenHeight and GetScale to make an educated guess, but even this will be wrong sometimes. Try playing with STUF in windowed non-fullscreen mode and I think you'll find that STUF in this scenario has the same difficulty with pixel-perfect positioning that other mods do.

There are some ways to work around this, though, with any mod.

1. If your mod's scale is 1.0 with no means for adjustment, then you can adjust your overall UI Scale to

uiScale = 768 / verticalResolution

by typing

/console UseUIScale 1
/console UIScale uiScale

in game, where you substitute the appropriate number for uiScale you've calculated, above. Depending upon your tastes, you might find that this makes your UI elements a bit small, but at least they're perfect. :)

2. Or, you can adjust the mod's individual scale, setting it to

modScale = 768 / verticalResolution / uiScale

where verticalResolution is the vertical screen resolution at which you play WoW, and uiScale can be gotten in game by typing

/script print(UIParent:GetScale())

How you set the modScale is going to be dependent upon the individual mod--maybe it has a configuration GUI for that purpose.

Either of the above methods should give you pixel-perfect positioning. The second method is how I get pixel-perfect positioning in the SnowfallRune mod.

#283 Asphyxialol

Asphyxialol

TEH DEEPZ!!!

• Allied Members
  • 1768 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 10:02 PM

Very interesting, thank you for that bit of info. I will play around with it a bit later after my raid tonight. Can you think of any reason as to why Acherus lags behind in updates? I tried to check the .lua but I'm not the best when it comes to editing that stuff. I am generally able to see what a line generally does but I couldn't find anything regarding the update speed for Acherus. I will also state it seemed to work well for a certain period of time, but for some reason (I want to think it was around 3.1) the mod started updating very slowly (as I said, sometimes skipping 10% of the full bar's width in one go).

#284 Nephthys

Nephthys

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 01:48 PM

I finally finished Engraved (Curse, WoWInterface), which solves most of the problems I've had with the rune UI. It's icon based, so there's no distracting extraneous movement. It can be set up so that rune visibility, from most to least, is:
  • usable now
  • usable the next GCD
  • on cooldown >1 GCD away
  • information about the paired rune with a longer cooldown

Thanks for all the ideas.
1/5 15:55:46.001 UNIT_DIED, 0x0000000000000000, nil, 0x80000000, 0xF130001942161FB7, "Gamon", 0xa28

#285 clemsonfire

clemsonfire

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 04:09 AM

does anyone know if there is an up to date rotation addon for a DK? i've seen rotate for pallys and was wondering if there was one for a dk....

#286 Kelthuryon

Kelthuryon

Banned

• Banned
  • 29 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 01:59 PM

does anyone know if there is an up to date rotation addon for a DK? i've seen rotate for pallys and was wondering if there was one for a dk....

I'd second that question. Been looking for something along the lines of FaceMauler/FaceShooter/Watcher for my DK.

I couldn't config Watcher for my DK. It gives tons of errors and I can't see how I could make it manage RP+Runes+Diseases diseases anyway.

Is there anything out there? All I could find on wowinterface is numerous mods that display runes/diseases/rp in different fashion.

Thanks

#287 blitzseed

blitzseed

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 02:13 PM

Face Smasher - Addons - Curse

#288 galidalvia

galidalvia

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 12:17 AM

Janraea, You mean something like this:
Posted Image

I actually like it more than I thought I would.

I actually like this one the best. This has the capability of being a really nice addon. I know in your first post you mentioned this; however, I think it is a really good idea to implement some kind of rp meter in with it. Maybe you could just simply have a number meter in the middle of it, or you could even go with a more graphical approach and actually fill up the center with rp.

#289 boysailor

boysailor

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 07:43 AM

I actually like this one the best. This has the capability of being a really nice addon. I know in your first post you mentioned this; however, I think it is a really good idea to implement some kind of rp meter in with it. Maybe you could just simply have a number meter in the middle of it, or you could even go with a more graphical approach and actually fill up the center with rp.

You could have the runic power filling up the orb/circle/ring. Like the Diablo graphics.

#290 Facebreaker

Facebreaker

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 09:38 PM

Posted ImagePosted Image

I simply use Magic Runes to make these six bars. When I use a rune, the opacity lowers, and builds back up like a thermometer when it is resetting. When death runes proc, the original rune gets replaced with a purple one.

#291 Mild Confusion

Mild Confusion

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 199 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 11:05 PM

Does anyone know how to fix magic runes? It hasn't been saving my settings since 3.2.2

#292 Facebreaker

Facebreaker

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 03:01 PM

Does anyone know how to fix magic runes? It hasn't been saving my settings since 3.2.2

Try deleting your cache folder. If that doesn't work, try to make a custom profile. And if that doesn't work, reinstall and delete your WTF folder.

#293 Wtfitzandy

Wtfitzandy

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 04:34 PM

If you can manage something like that for an addon, that'd be awesome :D

#294 Lucero

Lucero

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 10:18 AM

CLC DK - Addons - Curse by Nuta does it for me. Has all I need and simple.

Luc

#295 Guest_Altarissian_*

Guest_Altarissian_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 January 2011 - 10:48 PM

What do we NOT need to know? What information can we throw out to make the display easier to read?
4. Whether it's the left blood rune or the right blood rune (for example) that's available.

I don't fully agree on that.
Something i like to do is to Blood Tap when the left blood rune is inactive and the right blood rune is in charge.
This way i get a full rune cooldown from my Blood Tap, as the Blood Tap will activate the first inactive blood rune he finds.

EDIT: Damn, sorry, i resurrected a dead thread. Not good for a first post.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users