Photo

Death Knight rune addons: How can we do better?

• Please log in to reply
294 replies to this topic

#41 Kjallstrom

Kjallstrom

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 05:43 PM

Personally I think just a simple filling/depleting type setup for the runes would be the clearest. With a clear point at 1.5s (or 2 to be nice to people with higher lat) and an attached power bar with a clear 40, 50, 60rp marker.

Since the current latency is available to the UI, you could even adjust the line out a bit dynamically, to help people with a slower connection. That said, if your latency is high enough to have a noticeable effect here (when you're not having a lagspike, just normal usage), that kind of cooldown optimization might not help all that much?

#42 diospadre

diospadre

Hero of the Horde

• Guild Members
  • 7,465 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 06:34 PM

This is my upcoming rune addon. I can't code LUA yet but I will if no one else does this.

I really like this sort of thing. Combining Runes, RP, and the 2 disease timers into the same area is what made me really like RuneWatch (shame it seems to have been abandoned. It let me put 3 buttons to show when I was in melee/20y/30y range. These three things combined gave me basically all the information about my cooldowns and positioning that I could want.

#43 Fearlezz

Fearlezz

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 04:39 AM

Posted Image
This gave me an idea.

How about making a smaller version of such a "guitar" (space between 2 frets = 1 GCD) and make it have two modes:

1. Default rune cooldowns: unspent runes graphicaly below the "hit/refresh" area, when they are used they go to the top and come down just like on the picture

2. Rotation mode: you define a rotation(s?) in the configuration and the mod makes a song that "follows" your perfect DPS rotation (ie. single target rotation, aoe rotation etc) and you can time the strikes by "playing" the rotation.

Runes order should also be customizable in options, so if somebody wants the "strings" to correspond to BBFFUU or UFUFBB, both can be done. One other thing, mod could be programed to show upcomming skill graphic instead of rune graphic on the "guitar" because the rotation is set in the config and it would visualy help what's the next ability to use in a rotation.

Or did I just not get enough sleep o_O

#44 Duilliath

Duilliath

Great Tiger

• Members
  • 892 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 09:56 AM

I really like this sort of thing [Rhea's prior post]. Combining Runes, RP, and the 2 disease timers into the same area is what made me really like RuneWatch (shame it seems to have been abandoned. It let me put 3 buttons to show when I was in melee/20y/30y range. These three things combined gave me basically all the information about my cooldowns and positioning that I could want.

I completely agree - you get a really quick overview, though I am not sure I'd enjoy it flickering the entire GCD. 0.5s would probably do the trick already. It has everything at a really quick glance.

One thing I am not sure about (having only glanced through the Death Knight thread, but the wording on Heart Strike & Scourge Strike prompted this - especially when compared to the wording on Death Strike) is that it might be useful to have other diseases show up as well (Infected Wounds, Devouring Plague).
Ignorance can be solved with a book. Stupidity requires a shotgun and a shovel.

#45 rhea

rhea

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 10:40 AM

Obviously those would be mostly all configurable.

#46 Duilliath

Duilliath

Great Tiger

• Members
  • 892 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 11:53 AM

Rhea, in your current layout, how would you show which runes are Death Runes ?
Simply turn the bar pure black or replace the rune graphic or ... ?
That's one thing I didn't find in your idea so far - how to discern at a glance the number of Death Runes available.
Ignorance can be solved with a book. Stupidity requires a shotgun and a shovel.

#47 rhea

rhea

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 12:15 PM

The bar will simply turn purple (or the color of your choice). I could probably make some "rearrangement" when a death rune activates but have to see first, might be confusing. And I usually design things from the most customizable point of view so no worries about that.

#48 Gere

Gere

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 04:24 PM

I completely agree - you get a really quick overview, though I am not sure I'd enjoy it flickering the entire GCD. 0.5s would probably do the trick already. It has everything at a really quick glance.

One thing I am not sure about (having only glanced through the Death Knight thread, but the wording on Heart Strike & Scourge Strike prompted this - especially when compared to the wording on Death Strike) is that it might be useful to have other diseases show up as well (Infected Wounds, Devouring Plague).

Those abilities are only affected by your diseases.

#49 Hidden

Hidden

King Hippo

• Members
  • 520 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 06:45 PM

Personally I think just a simple filling/depleting type setup for the runes would be the clearest. With a clear point at 1.5s (or 2 to be nice to people with higher lat) and an attached power bar with a clear 40, 50, 60rp marker.

Something like...
Posted Image
(please forgive the crappy MSPaint image :( )

I really like that design, reminds me of Disqodice. You could also add two (smaller?) bars to show the disease duration remaining.

#50 neotron

neotron

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 02:52 AM

This might be a good place to post about Magic Runes. It's my attempt in making essentially a "rune bar". The actual layout that can be used is already rather flexible:

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Although I don't have any radial display options the sizing and directions (and sorting) is very flexible. You can have moving runes, or not, depending on preference. Unfortunately I had very limited time for actually developing this on my beta DK so I'm emulating runes while developing on line. My goal is to get a stable functional addon done before next week - it should already be very useful but it's lacking in features. Customizable fading options, GCD indicator etc. I also haven't gotten a runic power display in yet. Mind you I feel that runic power is much easier to track in general.

I also plan to add in indicators/notification of ability procs (so you can easier know when to throw out those free death coils for example).

Anyhow, any input and feedback would be welcome. Please comment here in this thread or in this thread @ WoWAce.

#51 Guest_Aedon_*

Guest_Aedon_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 November 2008 - 04:19 AM

This might be a good place to post about Magic Runes. It's my attempt in making essentially a "rune bar". The actual layout that can be used is already rather flexible:

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Although I don't have any radial display options the sizing and directions (and sorting) is very flexible. You can have moving runes, or not, depending on preference. Unfortunately I had very limited time for actually developing this on my beta DK so I'm emulating runes while developing on line. My goal is to get a stable functional addon done before next week - it should already be very useful but it's lacking in features. Customizable fading options, GCD indicator etc. I also haven't gotten a runic power display in yet. Mind you I feel that runic power is much easier to track in general.

I also plan to add in indicators/notification of ability procs (so you can easier know when to throw out those free death coils for example).

Anyhow, any input and feedback would be welcome. Please comment here in this thread or in this thread @ WoWAce.

I like the first picture and last picture setup the best, clean, simple and easy to look at.

#52 neotron

neotron

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 06:19 AM

Fortunately it's really flexible in how you can configure it. I'm trying to figure out how to avoid making it overwhelming though - one method is to have a few presets to get you started. Working on "end of cooldown" notification options at the moment.

#53 Frostx

Frostx

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 112 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 07:14 AM

If it isnt too much trouble could you add timer bars for Frost Fever, Blood Plague, Crypt Fever/Ebon Plague, Sudden Doom and Rime procs? Rime proc is a self buff called Freezing Fog if i'm not wrong.

Probably let users have the option to enable/disable these extra bars, as some users might not want to have so much on their screen.

#54 neotron

neotron

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 08:58 AM

Added a couple of GCD warning options today. See this not-so-small movie for a demo. I'll look at adding bars for other things but not sure if I'll get that done before the expansion comes out.

Helps if I post the link to the movie: http://eongames.com/tmp/MagicRunes.mov

#55 Seldric

Seldric

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 10:02 PM

After having seen several rune addons, I thought I would provide my own feedback. The type of addon that I was most happy with on beta was something like LynRune.

Basically it is just a simple addon that moves the bar to an easier to see position, and will show you the cooldowns on each rune provided that omnicc is also installed. I know several people seem to like the completely re-written graphics and moving rune icons etc. but I found them very distracting. I was able to use this addon for several testing sessions on the target dummies and found that it gave me enough information.

As far as watching my diseases, I simply used DoTimer which I already use on my warlock.

#56 Daedalix

Daedalix

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 119 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 02:57 AM

Great work so far on this new, unique interface element for our new class! Suggestions for Magic Runes (the one addon that looks the best to me at the moment):

1. Transparency in the bars when the rune is not yet available. The flash from transparent to opaque will give a visual clue that they are not available. Make the available runes brighter and the cooldown runes darker.
2. Counter or bar for the amount of RP currently available.
3. Enlarge runes that are currently available or have them flash/expand/contract upon activation.
4. Make The RP counter and any disease timer bars optional.

It seems like people are allowing the aesthetics of HOW to display the information to get in the way of actually displaying the useful information in a clear manner. I don't give a hoot what my interface looks like when I'm just trying to maximize dps in a movement-heavy encounter or while trying to learn an end-boss...

The above, LynRunes, gets the job done. A visual indication that a rune is not available (counter), a visual indication of what runes are available (opaque icon). That's really all we need. Something that won't take up loads of screen space when out of combat would also be a plus...

Essentially what I'm trying to say is that in all these rune addons, the most obvious visual element is given to the rune that I can't use right now. That may be aesthetically pleasing but does not work in a raid environment. Change catches the human eye. I need to know when a rune is available not watch runes that I can't use for 6 seconds move by. When I play my rogue or feral druid, as I stack CPs I get a small indication that I have a CP up. But when I have 5 up, something JUMPS OUT at me on my screen. This is what we will need as DKs. Not a christmas tree above my target frame, replete with rotating ornaments and flashing lights.

Another way to display this might be a thin-line vertical bar going across that gradually gets thicker as the rune becomes available. Rather than a solid moving bar that just stops when it's ready.

#57 neotron

neotron

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 05:40 AM

You wanted a simple icon display. How does this look to you?

Posted Image

http://eongames.com/tmp/runeicons.avi

Note that this is sort of a misuse of LibBars which I'm using for the display. I mean, I'm not even showing any bars or moving anything where the bars would be (essentially the bars use an empty texture and the spark is hidden). I might look at implementing alternative display options that use more optimal code paths, specifically for this kind of display, mainly to get optimal performance.

#58 neotron

neotron

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 07:24 AM

I just added different configurable alpha levels:
  • Out of combat (ready)
  • In combat (ready)
  • Active runes with a cooldown longer than the gcd
  • Active runes with a cooldown shorter than the gcd.

There is also an option to fade between the two active rune levels to make a bar/rune display become more visible gradually as the cooldown ticks down. I do have plans to add additional types of bars. The code has some support already due to some experimentation I did before, including per-bar configuration and creation.

Edit: Also added an option now to set the background texture and color (i.e the "inactive" bars that are diffuse gray bars in the above screenshots). This allows you to completely hide the bars when runes are ready but show them when runes are cooling down.

#59 dr_AllCOM3

dr_AllCOM3

Great Tiger

• Members
  • 985 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 01:38 PM

I have a few requests, so I can abandon my own rune addon :):
- Flash entire bar for 0.5s when it's ready ("Interface/Buttons/UI-Listbox-Highlight2")
- Play SharedMedia sound when a rune skill misses
function DocsRunebar:COMBAT_LOG_EVENT_UNFILTERED(self, timestamp, event, sourceGUID, sourceName, sourceFlags, destGUID, destName, destFlags, ...)
    if sourceName
playerName and event
"SPELL_MISSED" and temp=="Blood Strike" then --add more skills PlaySound("ReadyCheck") end end
- Integrated Disease trackers, but they aren't important

#60 Nephthys

Nephthys

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 02:41 PM

This thread is meant to be a discussion be about the pros and cons of different ways to display rune cooldown information and a place to provide new ideas. Obviously we need to talk about specific addons and examples, but this not a general death knight addon thread. Please keep the discussion worth reading, people. If your post is only an expression of preference without an explanation why you prefer that style of display, you are not adding to the discussion. If your post is only a feature request or a status update for a specific addon, you are not adding to the discussion. Those posts should be made on the Curse/WoWInterface/whatever site for the relevant addon, not on Elitist Jerks. Please see Forum Rule #8.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users