• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1417 replies to this topic

#1 Balog

Balog

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 09:33 PM

What is the AoE cap for balance druids? Is it the same for Starfall and Hurricane? Nothing in the Theorycraft think tank article or from the WotLK balance threads.

#2 Lord BEEF

Lord BEEF

Soda Popinski

• Guild Members
  • 3,826 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 10:54 PM

It was changed in the beta, and Blizzard said it's not something you should expect to run into in normal play.

I haven't run Hyjal recently to see if it shows up there. It didn't seem to appear during the spider wing of Naxx in beta.

#3 Roywyn

Roywyn

Bald Bull

• Members
  • 1,398 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 10:05 AM

What is the AoE cap for balance druids? Is it the same for Starfall and Hurricane? Nothing in the Theorycraft think tank article or from the WotLK balance threads.

For mages the cap it's universally 25k damage per second cast time.
So, Flamestrike (3s cast) has a 75k cap, Blizzard has a 25k per wave, instant spells count as 1.5s as always and have a 37.5k cap.

I doubt it's different for other classes since this seems pretty universal. The numbers are for level 80.
Chaotic Meta Gems in Cataclysm: http://elitistjerks....p2/#post1794256

DPS spec and class comparison in Naxxramas gear: http://code.google.c...ki/SampleOutput
The Blue Bar and you - the complete Fire Mage 2.4 mana compendium: http://elitistjerks....0-post3191.html

And doesn't proc on AM.
Neither does since 3.1.

#4 Guest_Amidaliania_*

Guest_Amidaliania_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 November 2008 - 10:13 AM

Whats the best feral leveling talent build?
The goal would be to get the best balance between kitty soloing dps and still being able to tank an occational instance without having to respec.
My current spec is this (and i know its not good!):
World of Warcraft Europe -> Talents

EDIT:
Could this maybe be viable?

#5 charriu

charriu

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 10:46 AM

The goal would be to get the best balance between kitty soloing dps and still being able to tank an occational instance without having to respec.

EDIT:

They both aren't to bad, but if you're going to get Omen of Clarity, you really want to grab Naturalist on the way.

For tanking, I chose to just take Thick Hide and Protector of the Pack. For the first instances it really is enough, even overkill if you are at least halfway geared...

Primal Precision is, with the lower caps on hit/exp against same level mobs, not really useful, at least in my opinion. That changes once you get into raids, but that's not the topic.

I'm 72 now, and currently this is my spec. I'm going to max King of the Jungle and then imp. Mangle.

#6 Abranor

Abranor

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 03:39 PM

Primal Precision is, with the lower caps on hit/exp against same level mobs, not really useful, at least in my opinion. That changes once you get into raids, but that's not the topic.

I agree on the hit/exp point, but the 80% energy refund on missed finishers is worth it to me. Just my 2c.

#7 Pharmacon

Pharmacon

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 04:36 PM

I agree on the hit/exp point, but the 80% energy refund on missed finishers is worth it to me. Just my 2c.

Once you are capped with exp and hit for the mob you are attacking that becomes a moot point because you won't be missing/dodged/parried.

#8 mesullivan

mesullivan

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 06:54 PM

For mages the cap it's universally 25k damage per second cast time.
So, Flamestrike (3s cast) has a 75k cap, Blizzard has a 25k per wave, instant spells count as 1.5s as always and have a 37.5k cap.

I doubt it's different for other classes since this seems pretty universal. The numbers are for level 80.

I don't have hard numbers for 70, but when I got called into Hyjal for Kaz/Az, I was doing 6-7k on trash waves (frost mage), as was our Boomkin. That also jibes with numbers I was getting when I had a tank for scourge invasion clearing. We aren't even in t6, so maybe somebody in sunwell gear would hit the cap, but I definitely did not.

#9 lissanna

lissanna

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 90 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 07:10 PM

EDIT:

I have leveling builds up on my US druid leveling guide:

World of Warcraft - English (NA) Forums -> NEW 3.0.3: Feral & Balance leveling guide

I've been updating on a fairly regular basis, based on player feedback and more experience playing with the talents. I have specs up for both balance and feral, and I played around with both specs during Alpha/Beta testing. I'm estimating that the guide will undergo significant changes during the week of Thanksgiving (when I get a break from my graduate school classes), but the basics are there.

There really isn't just one spec that you can have for leveling. There is a lot of flexibility. There are, however, talents that I like a lot better than others. The real thing that becomes a personal decision is when to pick up all the resto points that you need in either a feral or balance build.

#10 Humbaba

Humbaba

Mr. Sandman

• Allied Members
  • 6,110 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 01:40 PM

I tried various feral builds on beta, but I ultimately decided to go with this. Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft At 71 I put a point into berserk and then started filling out Natural Shapeshifter towards Master Shapeshifter. My general plan is to Mangle, Rake, Mangle, Mangle and Ferocious Bite as soon as I hit 4 cps. Rend and Tear - Spell - World of Warcraft is stunningly good for leveling with Rake and Ferocious Bite.

#11 Moof

Moof

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 03:47 PM

I've found it better to rake first, as the initial damage of rake is strangely not affected by mangle, the bleed doesn't start for another 3 seconds and it means getting the DOT portion out earlier so you can maybe get 2 ticks before FBing.

#12 Boevis

Boevis

Bald Bull

• Members
  • 1,284 posts

Posted 16 November 2008 - 03:11 PM

I would go with this: Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft

I don't find Shred useful at all for leveling, and rage for lacerate is hardly an issue, so FA becomes the next best option as far as catform goes. At 71 take Berserk, then fill out RnT and then Shapeshifter

#13 Triston

Triston

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 November 2008 - 05:35 PM

With the changes in WotLK, is there ever a point where Mangle will out-pace Shred?

I have DrDamage installed and I noticed the following:

With 5/5 in R/T, both pounce and mangle debuffs on my target, and the I'm getting around 48.X DPE on Shred.
My Mangle was getting 44.X DPE.

I'm still testing this but it seems like with Mangle's lower energy cost, combined with , it's not worth putting Shred in my rotation.

#14 Guest_5h0r7y_*

Guest_5h0r7y_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 November 2008 - 10:18 PM

As balance should i be spamming wrath or starfire after applying dots, or both based on eclipse?

#15 Ashaera

Ashaera

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 141 posts

Posted 16 November 2008 - 11:12 PM

As balance should i be spamming wrath or starfire after applying dots, or both based on eclipse?

You can find plenty of info in the wrath balance theorycraft thread - Try searching the last 10pages or so.

#16 Robogep

Robogep

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 08:49 AM

You can find informations ( including rotations ) at the top of the Think Tank Balance thread.

#17 boomchicken

boomchicken

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 09:14 AM

One thing I am confused on is for improved IIS Moonfire/Stafire part do you have to have IS up in order to get the benefit?

#18 Hjalte

Hjalte

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 09:41 AM

As I read the talent description, the benefit for Wrath requires IS, while the benefit for Starfire requires Moonfire.

#19 Spookeh

Spookeh

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 09:55 AM

Ratings Buster

Is there a simple ratings buster type mod that'll let me know when to swap out my TBC epics for northrend rewards and drops?

I'm lazy:
i know rawr has been updated, and its great, but the lists of gear in each slot now are utterly tiresome to alt tab and look through when i just want a yes/no answer on a quest reward. tbh, it takes long enough scrolling down the list and finding the item i have got equipped, let alone the drop i'm looking to compare it to...

#20 Hjalte

Hjalte

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 11:34 AM

I'm not sure what you are looking for Spookeh.

I am using Itemvalue (Updated version: http://static.wowace...-clone-r106.zip) paired with the Scale Factors from Simulationcraft to find out if a new item is better than my current one.

If you're just looking for a Ratingsbuster that is more simple, try Ratings from wowace. You'd probably want something like Itemvalue though, or any of its many alternatives. (Pawn etc.)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users