• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1974 replies to this topic

#21 Kanandi

Kanandi

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 09:41 PM

Thanks! I was not sure since I was not pulling aggro for every 4-pull (using a wolf or a carrion Bird) so was not quite sure why sometimes my pet held, and sometimes I grabbed the extra mob myself. Much appreciated!

#22 smurph98gt

smurph98gt

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 09:55 PM

Tooltips (and Buffs) don't update with talents, modifiers, etc.

It's strange to me that the Steady Shot tooltip doesn't update it's cast time with Haste. All of my Warlocks spells show updated cast times when taking Haste into account.

Anyway, I'm looking through the list of Bows, Crossbows, and Guns, and I'm not seeing a real clear upgrade over the Badge bow. seems like really the only upgrade, even if it's minor, and that's at level 77. The bow speed doesn't matter much anymore since they unlinked autoshot, right?

#23 werdna

werdna

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 11:43 PM

Your scorpid will perform just the same as your Rhino or any other Tenacity pet. The tree is not enhanced by the "exotic pet" tag. The Knockback does not have any type of threat modifier like the Gorilla and is on a long CD, so naturally if you start to unload Multi-Shots on mobs after one Stampede you are more and likely going to pull aggro. Your Scorpid will tank just as well as the Rhino, if not better, since the Scorpid is much higher in DPS. If you are wanting a better tank pet for multiple mob pulls....get a Gorilla or Bear.

By the time i read the replies, I was already back to my Scorpid and like it much better.

I wonder if there is ANY min/max reason to get a Rhino, or if it is just the "Fun Factor" that was mentioned in another answer.

For me, the Scorpid is back to being my tanky pet until I can get a Gorilla in another couple of levels. Then I'll still keep the Scorpid for raid situations which require good pet survivability.

If someone else has another opinion, it would be good to hear it. For now I think the Rhino is novelty use only.

#24 Serf

Serf

Banned

• Banned
  • 56 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 09:40 AM

What's the best non-BM pet these days? Raptor?

#25 ElginRoko

ElginRoko

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 11:56 AM

It's strange to me that the Steady Shot tooltip doesn't update it's cast time with Haste. All of my Warlocks spells show updated cast times when taking Haste into account.

Anyway, I'm looking through the list of Bows, Crossbows, and Guns, and I'm not seeing a real clear upgrade over the Badge bow. seems like really the only upgrade, even if it's minor, and that's at level 77. The bow speed doesn't matter much anymore since they unlinked autoshot, right?

Weapon speed still has an effect for aimed, multi, chimera and I think kill shot (haven't tested), with slower being better for these, but it's much less of a concern than it used to be. Unless you're MM you probably don't need to worry about it too much.
For insurance reasons. Yes. That, and for freedom.

#26 Zulas

Zulas

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 01:04 PM

Is using your own Serpent Sting required to make use of the Steady Shot glyph that increases the damage done to steady shot while under the affect of Serpent Sting. The writing on the tool tip does not suggest this. It just states the target needs to be inflicted with Serpent Sting. I don't plan on using Serpent Sting in my rotation as a BM hunter and will more than likely be doing 25 mans with an MM hunter who would be keeping Serpent Sting up on his own.

#27 eviln1

eviln1

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 01:43 PM

I guess you are asking about DPS pets, since you are mentioning raptors.

Scorpids and Cats had the best dps at lvl 70 (even in 3.0.3), respectivly; (dots dots dots !) The 1 min cooldown on Savage Rend is way too long to compete with the poison and rake.

At 80, gained pet talent points should tip the balance toward Cats, as they get Call of the Wild and more points in spider's bite.

#28 Proudmoone

Proudmoone

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 03:32 PM

Quick question in regards to weapon speed while leveling. Through the recruit a friend I was able to run up a new hunter into the mid 50s really rapidly and am now stuck 5 levels higher than my buddies and am going to PVP until they catch up with me. My question is, I am going to have enough honor and tokens to get my choice of the Grand Marshall bow, crossbow, and gun as soon as i ding 60.

Will taking the 1.8 speed bow over the other slower weapons. Consider I am full BM up until this point and I'm fairly sure I'm going to stay that way until 70 when I am probably going to respec to pick up Go for the throat.

#29 Rathenel

Rathenel

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 03:59 PM

What are the implications of the 3.0.x change to spell cost (for all mana users) for Hunters? Because all abilities now cost a fixed percentage of base mana, I'm having significant issues with mana efficiency at level 80, to the point that it seems 5/5 Efficiency might be mandatory talent investment for all specs. I've tried invigoration, but Blue Itemization is insufficient at the moment. Should we prioritize Intellect over Crit Rating and Haste?

#30 Mattaos

Mattaos

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 240 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 04:09 PM

It may still be a little early to claim "best of" for pets, but even as of the last reports coming from beta the Scorpid and Cat were still performing extremely well despite their nerf. The Raptor's longer CD on its special doesn't match-up well against the rapid stacking/refreshing of the DoTs from Rake and Scorpid Poison.

I wonder if there is ANY min/max reason to get a Rhino, or if it is just the "Fun Factor" that was mentioned in another answer.

For me, the Scorpid is back to being my tanky pet until I can get a Gorilla in another couple of levels. Then I'll still keep the Scorpid for raid situations which require good pet survivability.

If someone else has another opinion, it would be good to hear it. For now I think the Rhino is novelty use only.

The Rhino's Stampede should prove to be a solid BG pet, but the special attack is not very useful in PvE/raiding situations.

The Scorpid is a good choice for raiding based on the last bit of information we had from beta and I am curious to see WWS reports from live server raids soon also. The survivability factor is nice with a Tenacity pet, but the Scorpid is really the only exception coming from that group of pets for high DPS. I have already noticed just from running 5 mans over the weekend that the Ferocity tree has some nice survivability talents too. Bloodthirty and Improved Cower. These talents along with Spirit Bond kept my level 76 cat alive very nicely in level 80 instances.

#31 Guest_Alwayz_*

Guest_Alwayz_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 November 2008 - 05:17 PM

Will taking the 1.8 speed bow over the other slower weapons. Consider I am full BM up until this point and I'm fairly sure I'm going to stay that way until 70 when I am probably going to respec to pick up Go for the throat.

It really depends on how much haste you have. A lot of the new Northrend blues have haste, so if you get too much you will end up clipping your own Steady Shot on the GCD. While this won't really hurt you while you are soloing, it may hurt you while running instances. For instances I would stick with a bow or gun around 2.7 or 2.8.

#32 Guest_AJAlkaline_*

Guest_AJAlkaline_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 November 2008 - 05:22 PM

Unfortunately, I haven't really been keeping up with developments in the hunter class at all. I was wondering, can anyone give me a quick rundown of what the preferred shot rotations are for each spec?

Is it still preferable to just spam steady shot as BM or is it worthwhile to rotate in arcane and multi? What about killshot?

For marksman, is it best to just do chimera, then aimed, then steady until those two are off cooldown, or should you also use arcane shot? Is aimed shot really worth it?

#33 McInaction

McInaction

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 255 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 06:03 PM

Unfortunately, I haven't really been keeping up with developments in the hunter class at all. I was wondering, can anyone give me a quick rundown of what the preferred shot rotations are for each spec?

Is it still preferable to just spam steady shot as BM or is it worthwhile to rotate in arcane and multi? What about killshot?

For marksman, is it best to just do chimera, then aimed, then steady until those two are off cooldown, or should you also use arcane shot? Is aimed shot really worth it?

I'll try to answer this.

For BM little has changed, you want to pretty much just spam steady shot. If you don't have a MM hunter in the raid keeping serpent sting up for your glyph you'll need to rotate that in.

I have a bit more experience with MM, having just killed KT25 last night I can say pretty confidently that for max dps you want to ditch arcane and aimed shot all together and just steady shot and chimera every time its up. When I rotated aimed/arc in I just went oom and into viper way too fast; even with aspect mastery the additional shots didn't outweigh the dps loss of so much time spent in viper.

Which is alot of time if you're MM. Part of it was we didn't have a ret pally last night (go figure..) and nobody kept up JoW but I pissed away my 10k mana pool like it was nothing. Still, I was only 50 or so dps behind my comparably geared BM buddy.

I ended up saving my aimed/arcane shots for burst, and it performed really well on Maexenna's webs, frigid skellies on KT, ect.. it was very nice.

As for kill shot you should use it every single time you possibly can. I was getting 10-12k crits with it easy. I was able to get off a few on KT for a nice 40k damage boost. It greatly helps if your MM to stagger your readiness CD so that it's up when you hit 20%, double rapid fire and double kill shot does wonders.

I can't comment much on survival as I have no experience with it.

Also, has anyone found multishot next to useless? I use to use it for multiple mob MD's but volley works just as well and hits more mobs.. I'm tempted to take it off my bars and use the keybind for something better.

If you need a shot macro to hold your hand then you are probably on the wrong forums.

#34 Bere

Bere

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 08:15 PM

What is the hit cap for BM hunters at lvl 80 against bosses?

#35 Guest_Aerynlore_*

Guest_Aerynlore_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 November 2008 - 08:30 PM

Also, has anyone found multishot next to useless? I use to use it for multiple mob MD's but volley works just as well and hits more mobs.. I'm tempted to take it off my bars and use the keybind for something better.

Volley: 17% (13.6% glyphed) mana - AP*.1 + 505 Arcane per tick (6 ticks)
Mult-shot: 9% mana - NWD + 408 Physical

Overall damage, against three targets, Volley is going to win, including the Damage Per Mana ratio. However, the first hit (the one that is getting the MD threat transfer), Multi-shot is going to do more damage and thus more threat. Also, and the more practical reason, multi-shot will build any threat on the three you hit. MD + Volley on more than three targets, and the extras come for you.
And adding more to that, assuming the targets in your Volley don't have someone else building threat on them... by the third tick of volley (maybe the fourth) those mobs are coming for your face as the follow-up ticks will out threat the very first tick that got Misdirected.

In the end... they are both still on my bar, and I've yet to see a reason to pull them off my bar. However, to reduce buttons on the bar, here are some abilities I tie together.

What is the hit cap for BM hunters at lvl 80 against bosses?

According to this EJ post, the conversion rate at level 80 is 32.78998947 hit rating to 1% to hit.
Level 83 boss mobs require 9% hit for us to not miss.

0/3 Focused Aim: 296 (295.1099)
1/3 Focused Aim: 263 (262.3199)
2/3 Focused Aim: 229 (228.5299)
3/3 Focused Aim: 197 (196.7399)

It was a page back

#36 orinaccio

orinaccio

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 10:08 PM

Any thoughts on the viability of a MM hunter speccing to get Lock and Load in the Survival Tree? What about putting points in Imp. Arcane Shot to get some extra oomph for the Lock and Load proc?

Thanks

#37 Mrjack17

Mrjack17

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 02:09 AM

Hi, I am new here, I was told from another board that people here were very helpful in that they know thier classes well.

Perhaps its my comprehgension, but after reading the hunter topics, I still have a few questions.

By the way I am a 73 beast specced orc hunter

Now, my question is, I am in pvp gear, merc with some pieces of blue items from northrend.

Are hunters high pve dpsers in the sence that I am able to out dps many other classes that are in pve gear?

I heard if playedright, BM hunters are top notch, ut I'm am not sure if that is entirelly true.

#38 Thobe

Thobe

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 04:45 AM

"hay gusy lol! "

i've got a big problem with my cat and the new expansion. I've done a couple of instances the last days and sometimes my kitty got aggro from these nasty mobs. first happened at 74 with the result of an flaming tank. yesterday on violet hold heroic again. she got aggro against the tanking dk, whou hardly believed me Growl was turned of.

I have Growl on my petbar - turned off.
Cower is used everytime it's up

the funny think, while farming with growl up and cower turned off, my pet can't hold the aggro...

what do i wrong? everytime i enter a instance, the first sing i say is that Growl is turned off...

/sad

#39 Kujis

Kujis

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 08:12 AM

Hi,

what profession are most useful for raiding hunter? I'm thinking about engineer/skinner, but i'm not sure.

#40 Lohegrin

Lohegrin

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 10:23 AM

Is using your own Serpent Sting required to make use of the Steady Shot glyph that increases the damage done to steady shot while under the affect of Serpent Sting. The writing on the tool tip does not suggest this. It just states the target needs to be inflicted with Serpent Sting. I don't plan on using Serpent Sting in my rotation as a BM hunter and will more than likely be doing 25 mans with an MM hunter who would be keeping Serpent Sting up on his own.

Are you sure it actually works like this? earlier testing showed that it had to be your own serpent sting but I suppose that might have changed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users