1974 replies to this topic

#41 Enking

Enking

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 12:10 PM

Hello!
Hunter help threads are closed :S, now goes my question.

Im at lvl 71 and this is my build Hunter lvl 71 PVP Build

Whit these taltents, what whould be the bigger DAMAGE BURST rotation, including readiness, rapid fire, trinkets and /spit =) for a MM in PVP?
Is supposed that the hunter will be on movement all the time and the steady shot will be unable to use..

THANKS!!!

#42 Suspiria

Suspiria

Banned

• Banned
  • 52 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 12:19 PM

It may still be a little early to claim "best of" for pets, but even as of the last reports coming from beta the Scorpid and Cat were still performing extremely well despite their nerf. The Raptor's longer CD on its special doesn't match-up well against the rapid stacking/refreshing of the DoTs from Rake and Scorpid Poison.

So, even for BM spec with exotic pet, Cat > Devilsaur?

#43 Razzmatazz

Razzmatazz

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 01:00 PM

Any thoughts on the viability of a MM hunter speccing to get Lock and Load in the Survival Tree? What about putting points in Imp. Arcane Shot to get some extra oomph for the Lock and Load proc?

There are several problems with this which, at least in my eyes, don't make it worth it. I think the general consensus is using Arcane Shot under any circumstances as an MM hunter just doesn't contribute to your dps enough to justify it. I'll not give a definite "yes" or "no" because I'm not entirely sure about the numbers. One of the main problems is that L&L's Arcane Shots still activate the Global Cooldown, so you'll be limited to one Arcane Shot per 1.5 seconds either way. Now, my understanding is that an Arcane Shot generally doesn't do substantially more damage than a Steady Shot (on the contrary, due to its limited scaling with AP it might end up doing less).

Of course you could argue that, as an MM hunter, you already need quite a bit of haste (602 haste rating I think was mentioned) to get Steady Shot down to that 1.5 second cast time, meaning you'd get more out of an Arcane Shot. There is, however, the additional problem of the extra mana cost on Arcane Shot compared to Steady Shot (augmented by the Marked Marksman talent, which only affects Steady Shot) and the fact that you have to make sure to use Chimera Shot whenever the cooldown's up. Aside from that there's the fact that you'll probably have to spend 5+ talent points (Imp Arcane Shot + L&L) to make it worth it, which may be better spent elsewhere (such as in the BM tree to reach Aspect Mastery). What I'm wondering, as a kind of followup question, is if an L&L-infuenced Arcane Shot activates any kind of cooldown on Chimera Shot. Because if it does, this'd seriously mess up your rotation and complicate keeping Serpent Sting up. I'll probably test this myself when I get home.

Are hunters high pve dpsers in the sence that I am able to out dps many other classes that are in pve gear?

I heard if playedright, BM hunters are top notch, ut I'm am not sure if that is entirelly true.

If you mean PvE-equipped classes in a raid setting, I'm pretty sure numbers indicated that MM and BM hunters (with BM being a smidge ahead because of MM's mana issues, and consequently the higher need to switch to Aspect of the Viper) were up there with the best of them on beta. Survival kind of lagged behind due to the multiple nerfs to Explosive Shot. I haven't actually seen any numbers of live raid settings, and with the recent changes to Windfury (hunters are no longer affected by the haste) and boss armor (a 10% increase, obviously affecting only melee classes and hunters), we may have taken a small blow on the meters. Still, a well-played hunter who knows what he's doing should and most likely can be right on top there with classes like rogues and warlocks. Blizzard has stated numerous times it's their intention for the "pure" dps classes to be slightly outdpsing hybrid dpsers, but obviously this isn't exactly easy to balance perfectly, especially this early in WotLK's release.

#44 ElginRoko

ElginRoko

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 01:26 PM

Any thoughts on the viability of a MM hunter speccing to get Lock and Load in the Survival Tree? What about putting points in Imp. Arcane Shot to get some extra oomph for the Lock and Load proc?

Thanks

Even with imp arcane shot LnL appears to be very weak for MM, I'm seeing a 0.7% increase in simulation from 3/3 LnL, which is awful. The problem is you'd only expect 1.2 procs per minute, and each proc replaces 2 steadies with free arcane shots, but arcane only does a few hundred damage more than steady even improved, and your mana saving is pretty small since the free shots are replacing steady shots, which are dirt cheap anyway as MM. LnL really does rely on explosive shot to be viable in PvE.

Hi,

what profession are most useful for raiding hunter? I'm thinking about engineer/skinner, but i'm not sure.

Engineering really doesn't look very strong atm. The PvE perks are Goggles, which at present are only the same iLvL as NAX10 epics, and the 340 haste for 8s every 2 minutes glove enchant, which I wouldn't take ahead of 44AP or 20Agi.

Currently I'd say LW (114AP bracer enchant, vs 50 from enchanting, so 64 AP) and Inscription (104AP + 15 Crit shoulder enchant vs 40 + 15 from the rep vendor, so again, 64AP). Wowhead is currently listing 5 WotLK BoP crafted epics, that's slightly out of date, since it's missing some of the engineering goggles being BoP now, but it demonstrates nicely what blizzard have tried to do with profs this time, which is avoid making any of them superior by a large margin.

Edit: Actually, blacksmithing seems to be the best endgame raid prof, with 2 extra sockets being worth 80 AP with epic gems.
Edit2: Enchanting sits dead level with LW and inscription, with double 32AP ring enchants being 64AP again. It does have an advantage over LW in that it's not hogging a slot which could otherwise carry a different enchant, specifically I'm thinking that 16 Int is actually quite an attractive option for bracers. On the other hand, the 90 stam lining compares very favourably to anything you might compare that with, so if you care a lot about stamina LW's perks look very nice.
For insurance reasons. Yes. That, and for freedom.

#45 Enova

Enova

Great Tiger

• Members
  • 751 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 02:09 PM

So, even for BM spec with exotic pet, Cat > Devilsaur?

Not strictly, no. The devilsaur has a different skill than the standard raptor, and cats and devilsaurs come in pretty close. Some opinions put the devilsaur on top, others, the cat, so just go for what you like. The strength of the 51 point talent, however, isn't the exotic pets themselves, but rather the extra talent points your pet gets.

In summary, TBC raiding is easy. 9/10 encounters can be summarized with 1 phrase. Stay out of the fucking fire. If this is too difficult BWL was still there last I checked, so go have at it for some practice.

You people are idiots

Guilty as charged ^

#46 Razzmatazz

Razzmatazz

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 03:18 PM

On the profession question: For min-maxers Alchemy might actually turn out to be one of the more interesting ones, and not just for hunters. Mixology, while seemingly not that powerful at first sight, can really prove incredibly useful if you look at the numbers. The current flask of choice would be Flask of Endless Rage. Mixology increases the flask's effect by 50%, and its duration by 100%. Suppose you always have a flask up while raiding (and there's the difference with other professions, more on that below), you're looking at an extra 90 AP versus Inscription's (for example) 64 AP.

The problem, of course, is that this isn't a flat increase that's always up, like Inscription or LW's 64 AP. But if you ARE a min-maxer and really want to get the most out of your professions, Alchemy seems to be an excellent choice if you're willing to craft flasks every raid (and if you're a min-maxer, chances are you already do that or have people craft them for you anyway). And with the 4 instead of 2 hour duration, you've got the added benefit of having to craft far less. But, as ElginRoko has mentioned, the in TBC huge difference between professions (every Sunwell raider and their guild going for LW and Enchanting) has been evened out almost entirely, and you can't really go wrong with any profession. All of them provide some sort of significant benefit for raiding (bracer enchants for LW, ring enchants for Enchanting, improved gems for JC, crit for Skinning, extra sockets for BS, shoulder enchants for Inscription, cloak (?) enchants for Tailoring, improved elixirs and flasks for Alchemy - it seems only Herbalism and Engineering are a bit left behind on the raiding front).

#47 Fimbo

Fimbo

King Hippo

• Members
  • 509 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 03:33 PM

[Edit: Question answered in post above.]

#48 Suspiria

Suspiria

Banned

• Banned
  • 52 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 03:57 PM

Not strictly, no. The devilsaur has a different skill than the standard raptor, and cats and devilsaurs come in pretty close. Some opinions put the devilsaur on top, others, the cat, so just go for what you like. The strength of the 51 point talent, however, isn't the exotic pets themselves, but rather the extra talent points your pet gets.

I'm thinking about Loque'nahak, (Devilsaur is really boring cause "stomp" sound when walk), but I've not yet see any viable DPS stats about the exotic cat vs Devilsaur.

#49 kernall

kernall

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 05:35 PM

I apologize if this has been answered elsewhere, but with the unlinking of Steady Shot and Auto-Shot, what should I be looking for in a bow... As it stands right now, I'm a BM hunter, and I'm using the Badge Crossbow from SSO and I've got just enough haste that my SS is 1.4 second cast. I'm obviously wasting time and haste due to the GCD.

Is a bow/gun with a slower speed, but higher range preferable now? Or is there a reason to stick to the 2.8/2.9 weapons?

#50 ElginRoko

ElginRoko

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 06:11 PM

I apologize if this has been answered elsewhere, but with the unlinking of Steady Shot and Auto-Shot, what should I be looking for in a bow... As it stands right now, I'm a BM hunter, and I'm using the Badge Crossbow from SSO and I've got just enough haste that my SS is 1.4 second cast. I'm obviously wasting time and haste due to the GCD.

Is a bow/gun with a slower speed, but higher range preferable now? Or is there a reason to stick to the 2.8/2.9 weapons?

I just want to make this clear, since I'm getting the impression that there are people who aren't getting it, I'm not sure whether you're one of them or not:
Steady shot and weapon speed have absolutely zero interaction
Steady won't delay your autos if they're out of sync, steady normalises weapon dps in its damage calculations

Given two weapons with the same dps but different speeds:
  • The faster weapon will give a slightly higher uptime from buffs which proc on auto shots, such as IAotH and Master Tactician, and more DPS gain from the likes of GftT
  • The slower weapon will deal more damage on AP-Normalised instants, that's aimed, chimera, multi and probably kill shot (untested)
  • Steady shot, and any AP + fixed amount damage abilities like serpent sting and arcane shot will do the same damage
  • Your white dps will be the same

As BM or SV, your weapon speed will have a negligible effect on your dps, and I couldn't possibly tell you which is favourable, it's just too close, fractionally more proc uptime/less focus starvation or slightly more damage on a shot you use probably no more than twice an encounter, they're both very very small gains, too tough to call.
For insurance reasons. Yes. That, and for freedom.

#51 kr1305

kr1305

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 09:17 PM

Is it worth speccing 3 points in Improved Stings?

Bearing in mind you will have 100% Serpent Sting uptime as you will be wanting to use the Steady Shot glyph.

I've not had the chance to run the numbers, but how would this benefit over having 3 points in talents like Improved Tracking?

#52 Mrjack17

Mrjack17

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 01:30 AM

I see,
So hunters are not top dps now with lich king out?

Many people across my server have mixed feelings about it, I am a BM, but my biggest question is, should i spam BW when ever its up, and the enemy or group of mobs are not almost dead?

#53 Ildinia

Ildinia

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 01:34 AM

I have a question!
At 80, which stat should i be focusing on? In BC i stacked AP mostly, but also hit rating and agility. Which of these should i stack? Also, now that i have 3/3 careful aim, would it be at all worth it to put a few Intellect gems in there, because of the 1:1 AP conversion? My theory is that the int will be good in raids anyhow, and the AP might actually make it worthwhile. Thanks

#54 Neruse

Neruse

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 157 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 02:02 AM

The nerf to WF totem hurt marks and survival enough to make them only marginally competitive in early 80 gear. BM though, is capable of 4k dps on mostly static fights like Patch, Anub, Faerlina, Razuvious and so on; Wow Web Stats

I was survival all the way from 2.4 to 3.0, so I'm rusty on the nuances and positioning quirks of BM. Also, I was using AotB (supposedly bugged, providing ~21% ap) for most of the above parse.

One question I have is thus: Devilsaurs are the highest dps pets, but in practice their enormous hitboxes lead them to die very often from lava waves on Sartharion and the bursts on Heigan. Additionally, their tails are so long that sometimes they clip void zones. I'm tempted to roll with a cat as these issues are very aggravating, but I'd rather not if possible.

#55 Laertis

Laertis

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 08:19 AM

hi i´m specced MM and i have improved Hunters marked maxed out cause of the new rank of Hunters mark.. 300 ap + 30% = 390 .. :P and i was wondering if the glyph of Hunters mark stacks with this .. or we could just use the glyph and save up 3 points there ? but if it stacks it would be fantastic .. :P 450 AP HM would be very nice :P my tool tip when i look at the mob sais 300 ap whether i have the talents or not.

allso have a question if the Glyph of Steady shot is bugged or not ? reading alot of forums where people have seen no increse in dps from steady shot with adding the glyph.

#56 Osse

Osse

King Hippo

• Members
  • 629 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 10:03 AM

Glyph and improved hunter's mark stack and the result is 450 ap.

t6 4-set bonus and glyph of steady shot do not stack.

#57 Luthorhuss

Luthorhuss

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 11:30 AM

I've been thinking whats the best raid pet..

I know it's been stated ealier that either cat, or maybe now devilsaurs, but what about the spirit beast ? have anyone tried him out ??

#58 flimflam

flimflam

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 11:40 AM

Any survival spec'd hunters?

I started off BM, great dps.. but during a 10m naxx we ran into a roadblock and i was the only class able to get replenishment (so i did) and wow did my damage take a hit but we were able to beat sapphrion and the healers loved it.

but im not totally sure on my spec so im looking for some feedback on these 2: Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft (0/21/51) or Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft (5/15/51)

leaning towards 0/21/51 but if anyone has any other ideas, feel free to let me know, thanks guys

#59 Jaffi

Jaffi

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 12:02 PM

t6 4-set bonus and glyph of steady shot do not stack.

Are you sure? How do you know?

#60 Enova

Enova

Great Tiger

• Members
  • 751 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 12:29 PM

Are you sure? How do you know?

Well, that can easily be checked. Get a from Stratholme, try it on a dummy with a 4 t6 bonus without the glyph, then add the glyph and see if you get better results.

In summary, TBC raiding is easy. 9/10 encounters can be summarized with 1 phrase. Stay out of the fucking fire. If this is too difficult BWL was still there last I checked, so go have at it for some practice.

You people are idiots

Guilty as charged ^

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users