• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2838 replies to this topic

#1 Boethius

Boethius

THE DON

• ♦ Administrators
  • 4,778 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 06:24 AM

Welcome to the Mage Simple Questions thread. This thread is for all your simple questions which you expect to have simple answers and thus do not require their own thread.

Note that all forum rules still apply: we said simple questions, not stupid questions (which have no place on these forums). You're still expected to make a reasonable effort to find the answer yourself by searching and reading the threads and making use of spreadsheets and any other tools that may be available. If, however, you're fairly confident that your question is not easily answered with available information, but don't think it will generate sufficient discussion to require it's own thread, this is the place to ask.

#2 diag

diag

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 12:04 PM

Is there anyone level up fast enough to test on a ILvl 77 weapon?

#3 Weemuu

Weemuu

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 02:54 PM

It probably works on lvl 77 weapons. The one thing we know for sure is that nothing of the sort (oils, stones, etc) will not work on lvl 80 weapons.

#4 Inoko

Inoko

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 113 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 05:39 PM

It probably works on lvl 77 weapons. The one thing we know for sure is that nothing of the sort (oils, stones, etc) will not work on lvl 80 weapons.

Sorry, you're a bit confusing here. "Nothing of the sort will not work on lvl 80 weapons" you say. I assume you mean "Nothing of the sort will work on level 80 weapons," instead?

#5 manly

manly

Soda Popinski

• Guild Members
  • 3,596 posts

Posted 16 November 2008 - 02:06 PM

oils only work on items below a certain ilvl (180?) Basically, if your item is from northrend, its above that ilevel, so it wont work.
<Eej> YOU"RE GONNA PULL
<Eej> IF YOU SQUEEZE OFF ANOTHER ARCANE BLAST
<Spectear> You've obviously never played with Manly.
<Spectear> That's hardly a reason to stop DPS.
Very Manly Staff

#6 Mistopheles

Mistopheles

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 November 2008 - 06:26 PM

While leveling my frost mage I noticed that fingers of frost and frostbite almost ALWAYS proc together. It should only be a 15% chance that frostbite procs when fingers of frost does, and vice versa, right? But I see it almost 100% of the time, perhaps less due to mobs dying. Is this a known bug like the shatter on the second charge of FoF?

#7 Arantes

Arantes

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 16 November 2008 - 06:29 PM

While leveling my frost mage I noticed that fingers of frost and frostbite almost ALWAYS proc together. It should only be a 15% chance that frostbite procs when fingers of frost does, and vice versa, right? But I see it almost 100% of the time, perhaps less due to mobs dying. Is this a known bug like the shatter on the second charge of FoF?

I've experienced FoF proc without Frostbite more often than not, in fact much more often than not. I'd say you're either seeing a lot of coincidences or not noticing when they proc on their own rather than when they happen to proc together.

#8 Azrayne

Azrayne

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 16 November 2008 - 06:35 PM

Been more or less out of the endgame since AQ, levelling up a new mage now, is there any particular profession selection that stands out as the obvious choice for highend play? I saw they've added all sorts of random perks to the various professions, I looked over it and the faithful tailoring/enchanting seemed like a solid choice, is there any obvious 'must have' that I've missed?

#9 Dryssa

Dryssa

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 16 November 2008 - 06:40 PM

Been more or less out of the endgame since AQ, levelling up a new mage now, is there any particular profession selection that stands out as the obvious choice for highend play? I saw they've added all sorts of random perks to the various professions, I looked over it and the faithful tailoring/enchanting seemed like a solid choice, is there any obvious 'must have' that I've missed?

http://elitistjerks....fession_thread/

Jewelcrafting and Blacksmithing provide the greatest raiding benefits at present, with the BOP gems and extra sockets they provide. Most other crafting professions are about equal in their benefits, with Tailoring being the weakest (it only provides cloak enchants, which have been shown to be less of a DPS increase than the other professions' incentives.) Gathering professions are, obviously, the weakest of the lot.

If everything else is truly equal (gear, skill, etc.) then the pure dps class should beat the hybrid. If a raid chooses to run without rogues, mages, warlock or hunters, they should expect their overall dps to be lower. You can quote me on that.

#10 Roywyn

Roywyn

Bald Bull

• Members
  • 1,398 posts

Posted 16 November 2008 - 07:56 PM

I've experienced FoF proc without Frostbite more often than not, in fact much more often than not. I'd say you're either seeing a lot of coincidences or not noticing when they proc on their own rather than when they happen to proc together.

They always proc simultaneously, and it is working as intended. See first post of http://elitistjerks....ssion_part_two/
I'll try to get it unlocked to make that info clearer.

See http://elitistjerks....ssion_part_two/
Chaotic Meta Gems in Cataclysm: http://elitistjerks....p2/#post1794256

DPS spec and class comparison in Naxxramas gear: http://code.google.c...ki/SampleOutput
The Blue Bar and you - the complete Fire Mage 2.4 mana compendium: http://elitistjerks....0-post3191.html

And doesn't proc on AM.
Neither does since 3.1.

#11 Guest_aikiwoce_*

Guest_aikiwoce_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 November 2008 - 08:09 PM

If you have 3/3 Frostbite and 3/3 Fingers of Frost, then 100% of your FoF procs will also be Frostbite procs. Because of this behavior, in a PvE build, you can move at least two points out of Frostbite. But, if you're talented into Imp Blizzard, you need to keep at least one point in Frostbite. This is due to the first tick of Blizzard not applying the chill effect like it should. This bug also breaks the Brain Freeze talent proc with Blizzard. In fact there are several other bugs either related to chill/snare effects in general, or one of the new proc based frost talents. That need to be addressed, but weren't acknowledged in Beta or Live.

I'll try to write up my thoughts on mage bugs, and maybe post them in their own special thread in the new forum if that seems appropriate.

#12 Guest_Aidan_*

Guest_Aidan_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 November 2008 - 12:58 PM

Since 3.0.2 I am aware the old advice I used to follow (hit until capped > haste > damage > crit > int > sta > spi) is no longer valid. I've decided to use the RatingBuster addon to help me quickly analyse new gear when it drops but am at a loss for what values to assign to each stat. I am currently level 74. I'll be going frostfire (0/50/16) at 75 and plan on going 0/53/18, as I hear it's currently the dps king.

So my question is: What sort of values should I assign to each stat as a general rule of thumb based on a frostfire build?

Thanks in advance

#13 Pasture

Pasture

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 305 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 01:01 PM

My quick question:

Does the snare on frostfire bolt trigger torment the weak on ordinary mobs? I've tried testing it myself but the results have been inconclusive for me. I'm currently questing as arcane and I'd rather open with frostfire bolt to get my 12% damage buff rather than having to manually apply Slow.

#14 Guest_aikiwoce_*

Guest_aikiwoce_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 November 2008 - 01:09 PM

My quick question:

Does the snare on frostfire bolt trigger torment the weak on ordinary mobs? I've tried testing it myself but the results have been inconclusive for me. I'm currently questing as arcane and I'd rather open with frostfire bolt to get my 12% damage buff rather than having to manually apply Slow.

Yes and no, it depends entirely on whether or not you're specc'd into Molten Fury. The current thinking is they weren't intended to stack, so their bonuses overwrite each other. But, the MF activation condition (under 35% health) prevents TtW's bonus from applying from 100%->35%. This is likely a bug, but we haven't gotten a response on how exactly it should be working.

Edit (Kinda Technical): Slow seems to bypasses the MF bug by actually applying the snared/ensnared flag directly. I think this flag is usually applied internally when a mob's movement speed is slowed (e.g. aura:mod speed slow). This is likely why Slow works against most raid Bosses when other snares fail.

#15 Light4

Light4

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 164 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 04:03 PM

on TtW

From my tests on live, Infectious Wounds works with TtW and can be applied to bosses, at least to those in the Nexus or Utgarde low level dungeons.
This is however counterintuitive, as it would mean that the best situation for a raid would be TtW specced mages and the requirement to bring an IW specced druide along. If I understand Blizzard correctly, this is exactly not what they intended.

#16 Guest_aikiwoce_*

Guest_aikiwoce_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 November 2008 - 04:23 PM

on TtW

From my tests on live, Infectious Wounds works with TtW and can be applied to bosses, at least to those in the Nexus or Utgarde low level dungeons.
This is however counterintuitive, as it would mean that the best situation for a raid would be TtW specced mages and the requirement to bring an IW specced druide along. If I understand Blizzard correctly, this is exactly not what they intended.

They are not Boss level mobs. I.E. They do not have a skull for their level. Instance Boss levels in WotLK. Which means that they are not subject to the same limitations I previously mentioned.

#17 Light4

Light4

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 164 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 05:28 PM

They are not Boss level mobs. I.E. They do not have a skull for their level. Instance Boss levels in WotLK. Which means that they are not subject to the same limitations I previously mentioned.

Is the list a list of bosses where the limitations apply or don't apply?
So basically all Bosses should qualify for testing purposes. I guess the best way to test would be either MC or Alterac Valley.

#18 Valean

Valean

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 05:57 PM

Okay, forgive me if this is posted in one of the other threads, but I'm looking for a couple quick answers.

Does anyone have a link to a 0/53/18 spec? I've got a basic idea of what talents I want but I want to ensure I snag all the right ones.

Also, hit rating for the same spec. I know with the removal of the 1% we could never get, Fire hit rating went from 164 higher, but exactly how high did it go? I've heard a few different numbers thrown out but I'm looking for a raw hit rating without considering any other class or race talents/racials.

#19 diag

diag

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 06:17 PM

My guildie told me that focus magic can always be casted on mage only:

2 mages : A<-->B
3 mages : A-->B-->C-->A
etc.

In this perspective, focus magic is a 6 % crit talent (and you will never benefit another classes!), will it make FB dps higher than FFB?

#20 Pasture

Pasture

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 305 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 06:52 PM

My guildie told me that focus magic can always be casted on mage only:

2 mages : A<-->B
3 mages : A-->B-->C-->A
etc.

In this perspective, focus magic is a 6 % crit talent (and you will never benefit another classes!), will it make FB dps higher than FFB?

Focus magic can be cast on whoever you want to cast it on. No need for them to be mage though it's nice to exchange with another mage and get 6% rather than 3%. I often throw it on a Boomkin or Enhancement Shaman.

And given that frostfire has awesome crit modifiers crit will probably benefit it more than any other spell.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users