• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1690 replies to this topic

#1681 Matsujinn

Matsujinn

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 01:30 PM

TfB can only proc every 5 seconds. On the initial application of Rend it procs at 0, 6, and 12 seconds due to Rend ticking every 3 sec. There is a post in the Arms DPS thread regarding this. You should try to refresh Rend at 17sec so that you get extra Rend damage, as well as extra Overpower damage rather than just refreshing Rend at 15 sec and keeping 100% uptime. Your Rend uptime will be lower but your damage for Rend and OP will be higher.

#1682 Barnacles

Barnacles

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 01:27 AM

Hey there. I looked through this forum as well as this thread and couldn't figure this out for myself, so I figured someone might know, but just hasn't written about it.

I was wondering why, even after hard hit cap and equal circumstances such as buffs and procs as well as 23 expertise and the same stats on both tries, I did about 2000 dps less on the 83+ Boss Target Dummy than I did on the level 80 one. Is there something I'm missing, such as glancing blows, or perhaps bosses have a specific amount of armor which is more than a lower mob?

I would love to know why. Thanks! :)

#1683 winst

winst

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 02:21 PM

Lower armor, no glances and no crit reduction, iirc. If you hit a 60 dummy the armor goes even lower and you can probably net another few k dps.

#1684 ComMcNeil

ComMcNeil

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 02:06 PM

Lower armor, no glances and no crit reduction, iirc. If you hit a 60 dummy the armor goes even lower and you can probably net another few k dps.

Regarding "no glances", I made a strange observation yesterday. After the many many QQ in the MMO champion regarding warrior DPS, I did some checks myself, first by hitting on the lvl 80 dummy in OG. There I did around 9.5k dps, which is not that bad I guess. Afterwards, I ported to the argent tournament to kill the lvl 80 cultists west of there on the plateau (because I had done the quests there the days before the patch and had a good memory on how fast the mobs would go down).
In fact, the numbers on the mobs there were a significantly lower, than before the patch (some 4k BT hits and stuff). Neverthless, I encountered this phenomenon:

Posted Image

The mob is a normal lvl 80 mob as most of you are aware I think. I was under the impression (and the Wowwiki article confirms this) that glancing hits are only possible on mobs with a higher level than yourself. Was this changed?

I also found a beta thread about this, but no blue response so far: World of Warcraft: Cataclysm Beta - (English) Forums -> Melee glancing blows on equal level mobs

edit: I did a small testrun on the dummy, the glancing chance seems to be around 4-7%.

#1685 Muspel

Muspel

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 107 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 08:33 PM

I cringe at the phrase "top-end" damage, but slow weapons will be superior to fast ones for threat, all things being equal. Devastate uses 150% of weapon damage, so it'll hit harder with a slow weapon than a fast one. It should be noted that Devastate is not a massive portion of our threat as prot warriors (somewhere in the 10-15% range), and a Slow weapon will only add around 400 damage per devastate with current weapons, maybe a 15% increase for at most 2% total damage boost, probably less than that.

The problem is that a PvP weapon, or alternately a DPS-itemised slow PvE weapon, is that the stats will be weak for survival. A PvP one at same iLvL will be worse, since it has wasted Resilience which can't be reforged. Although current dps weapons are all agility-itemised, the agility does provide dodge, which the AP on PvP weapons doesn't, and the second stat on a PvE weapon will also be welcome. That said, the Wrathful weapons (any of them would work, but fists are probably the coolest) are fairly easy to acquire and all have sockets. If you've got the honor to burn and are stuck with a 232 weapon, it might be a worthwhile upgrade, but I wouldn't bother if I had any sort of ICC weapon, personally.

It's also worth noting that the higher damage on slow 1-handers increases the damage of Rend, which prot is supposed to use now for single target and AoE.

#1686 Baconataur

Baconataur

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 02:14 AM

If this "more blue than red" chaotic meta gem issue is not fixed for Tuesday, what is best meta gem to have? I was thinking Thundering Skyflare Diamond - Item - World of Warcraft or Invigorating Earthsiege Diamond - Item - World of Warcraft

#1687 dorofey

dorofey

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 01:43 PM

If this "more blue than red" chaotic meta gem issue is not fixed for Tuesday, what is best meta gem to have? I was thinking Thundering Skyflare Diamond - Item - World of Warcraft or Invigorating Earthsiege Diamond - Item - World of Warcraft

Currently I'm using Swift Skyflare Diamond for meta. And I've changed boots enchant to Greater Assault instead of Tuskarr's Vitality because speed increase do not stack.

#1688 Qoma

Qoma

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 08:27 PM

Here's a simple question. Am I crazy, or is there simply not a thread where Protection spec is being discussed?

#1689 MADMark

MADMark

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 09:35 PM

No, you're not crazy. There is information in the FAQ and Cata thread, but there is no discussion area dedicated to Prot post 4.0. It doesn't seem like anybody has been motivated to make the OP.

... it just begs to be repeatedly reported, over and over, as though reporting a post could somehow be analogous to stabbing someone in the face with a knife forged out of their own concentrated stupid.

#1690 Scorned

Scorned

Punched in Face Repeatedly

• Moderators
  • 528 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 10:56 AM

ATTENTION

Just a friendly reminder to anyone who hasn’t caught the announcement post that’s been globally stickied on the boards: Most of the current threads on this and other class-specific boards are going to be locked in approximately 24 hours to make room for the shiny new Cataclysm era. If you have any last-minute posts you’d like to add or discussions you’d like to wrap up, now is the time to do so.

SUP GUYS IM NOT RETARDED JUST TROLLIN YA

#1691 Scorned

Scorned

Punched in Face Repeatedly

• Moderators
  • 528 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 05:17 PM

...and the WotLK simple question thread has come to a close. For any Cataclysm questions, please refer to this thread:

http://elitistjerks....simple_answers/

SUP GUYS IM NOT RETARDED JUST TROLLIN YA

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users