• Please log in to reply
286 replies to this topic

#281 Inaiwae

Inaiwae

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 243 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 06:01 AM

New mangle idol behaves differently than old mangle idol - it refreshes itself. Proc rate is not 100% but quite high (i'd guess 80% but have no precise data yet). Improved mangle increases its importance with this idol, since it increases the idol's uptime. What needs to be analyzed is the uptime difference, i'll try to find some time for testing it.

I'll probably move my 3 points from Feral Aggression to Improved Mangle, so the build looks like this:
Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft

#282 Monedula

Monedula

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 06:23 PM

New mangle idol behaves differently than old mangle idol - it refreshes itself. Proc rate is not 100% but quite high (i'd guess 80% but have no precise data yet). Improved mangle increases its importance with this idol, since it increases the idol's uptime. What needs to be analyzed is the uptime difference, i'll try to find some time for testing it.

I'll probably move my 3 points from Feral Aggression to Improved Mangle, so the build looks like this:
Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft

I did quite a lot of calculations on that part. You can find em on my blog here:
Omen of Clarity: Go for improved Mangle!

Later I did an other post showing that you do loose threat when you use improved mangle:
Omen of Clarity: Correction! iMangle does not own

My conclusion overall is: If you need threat then go for MMS and iMangle. If you rather not loose some mitigation talent and still want the threat use MSS. If you can stand to loose a bit then use iMangle since it gives a better uptime of the Idol.
[edit]
I myself took the 5 points form MSS and put em in iMangle since I have the idol. Without the idol surely go for MSS.
[/edit]

#283 Jishosan

Jishosan

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 08:53 PM

I have a question about Feral Tanking macros. Does someone have a rundown of the macros or mods they use for Feral tanking? I'm a boomkin, so I'm new to Feral tanking, so this is all new to me. Right now, I just have Mangle, Lacerate, and Swipe on my bar, and they are macroed in with Maul. I don't have Barkskin macroed to anything, but from reading I suppose I should. I'm also not sure if I should be macroing my trinkets to everything to keep their uptime as high as possible, or saving them for the Oh <Profanity> button.

At this time, I'm logged out in my feral gear/spec, but I'll be raiding boomkin tonight (7pm cst), so it will change some time after that. Any advice for a new feral gearing to tank would be appreciated.

#284 Monedula

Monedula

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 09:26 PM

I have a question about Feral Tanking macros. Does someone have a rundown of the macros or mods they use for Feral tanking? I'm a boomkin, so I'm new to Feral tanking, so this is all new to me. Right now, I just have Mangle, Lacerate, and Swipe on my bar, and they are macroed in with Maul. I don't have Barkskin macroed to anything, but from reading I suppose I should. I'm also not sure if I should be macroing my trinkets to everything to keep their uptime as high as possible, or saving them for the Oh <Profanity> button.

At this time, I'm logged out in my feral gear/spec, but I'll be raiding boomkin tonight (7pm cst), so it will change some time after that. Any advice for a new feral gearing to tank would be appreciated.

Kinda offtopic, but as to gear I'd say download Rawr (google it). It can give you a good idea of what is valued over other items.
I also think you are confusing macro with hotkey? I don't see where you could use barkskin reliably in a macro. I bound it to a mousekey myself but if you are really talking macro's I would like to know where.
Also add FFF to those macro's with maul too. Mangle > FFF > Swipe and keep lacerate up. Best threat and dps cycle.

#285 Duilliath

Duilliath

Great Tiger

• Members
  • 892 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 09:35 PM

@ Jishosan - Honest answer?

It's a whopping 4 buttons, why bother with macros? Might even go up as high as 6 if we include FFF and Demo Roar. Not like Feral tanking is a marvel of complexity really.
Ignorance can be solved with a book. Stupidity requires a shotgun and a shovel.

#286 Jishosan

Jishosan

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 10:06 PM

So are people just pressing two buttons at once to Maul + Lacerate or Maul + Mange or Maul+swipe? I thought they might have had them macroed onto those abilities to use constantly? Or are we only using Maul when rage > 50 (I think that's what I read)?

@Monedula: As for Barkskin, I believe it is off the GCD. I do have it in my current emergency button macro that pops barkskin + frenz regen + SI, and Barkskin activates along with the rest of it. I also have it macroed to my Wrath and Hurricane in boomkin mode to allow me to keep maximum uptime in Ulduar. As far as I know, any ability that is off the GCD can be attached to another ability and will activate just like a trinket would.

#287 kalbear

kalbear

Bald Bull

• Members
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 10:34 PM

So are people just pressing two buttons at once to Maul + Lacerate or Maul + Mange or Maul+swipe? I thought they might have had them macroed onto those abilities to use constantly? Or are we only using Maul when rage > 50 (I think that's what I read)?

I have maul macroed to all my threat moves (mangle, lacerate, swipe, FFF) and do it constantly. Maul is no longer a 'nice to have' when you have rage; it does so much damage that missing basically any other attack or set of attacks is worth it if you maul. The only thing that comes close to beating it is lacerate when the stack could fall off, simply because the expense of a lacerate stack from start is fairly high. The reason I macro is simply that I don't like spamming two buttons when I can spam one.

I personally prefer barkskin, SI and FR to be separate. Barkskin is off GCD. Depending on the fight I'll use it arbitrarily when it's off CD immediately or I'll wait for some specific event or set of events.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users