• Please log in to reply
149 replies to this topic

#141 frmorrison

frmorrison

Protector

• Allied Members
  • 11,427 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 06:49 PM

Blue Sockets are rated higher because other than the one Nightmare Tear (10 to all) you should have no other blue gems, so generally just put a 20 strength there. The value of a blue less than a red because of a potential lost socket bonus.

Since values of a sockets shifts depending on the color and if the bonus is activated, that is why static values are not too useful. It is better than just guessing if you don't want to fire up Rawr or a spreadsheet.

#142 safetypro

safetypro

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 07:04 PM

Blue Sockets are rated higher because other than the one Nightmare Tear (10 to all) you should have no other blue gems, so generally just put a 20 strength there. The value of a blue less than a red because of a potential lost socket bonus.

Since I am not a jewel crafter, I was not aware that I could use a 20 str (red) gem in a blue socket.

Edit: I researched this. One would have to assume that the Blue gem would be socketted with a red gem (20 str) minus the potential socket bonus. For instance if the socket bonus was 4 crit the blue gem would be worth 42 - 4.6 (5 for round numbers) or 37. Thank you I have a much better understanding now of the Pawn socket values.

#143 Capstone

Capstone

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 189 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 10:22 PM

It is unnecessary (and probably detrimental) to use any values for sockets in your Pawn strings. Pawn now looks at your socket colors and socket bonuses and determines for you whether you should match colors or not, and calculates the value of the piece accordingly.

#144 Wakeman

Wakeman

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 02:48 AM

I agree a stat weight for Prot is not the best, but someone asked for it. It is better to have threat and survival weights, but I personally combine them into one stat.

Ignoring the threat gain of expertise, it is 80% as good as dodge for reducing spike damage (assuming parry haste). Also since SotR, HotR, autoattack, and SoV stacks can all be parry/dodged, since expertise double dips as threat/survival I personally rate it very highly.

Rogue gear hardly ever be favored over real Prot gear (maybe 264 rogue gear over a 200 Prot piece), since armor has a decent stat weight.

Sorry that I was not aware of the Shield of Righteousness change in 3.3. Ok, the expertise rating is fine if you are talking about threat weighting.

I might be a bit exaggerated about rogue gear. Nevertheless, using your weighting, you will see plenty of Str dps gear and some rogue neck/ring on the list.

#145 frmorrison

frmorrison

Protector

• Allied Members
  • 11,427 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 05:20 AM

Sorry that I was not aware of the Shield of Righteousness change in 3.3. Ok, the expertise rating is fine if you are talking about threat weighting.

I might be a bit exaggerated about rogue gear. Nevertheless, using your weighting, you will see plenty of Str dps gear and some rogue neck/ring on the list.

The ranking seems pretty good. I do see a few agility "rogue" and Plate dps necks there, because agility is like dodge and strength gives a lot of threat and gem slots. Glancing over the lists, it seems expertise is too good and armor isn't rated too low, I will change the weight.

I changed expertise to 0.5 since while it is useful, it isn't that great past the soft cap. Before 26 it is the best threat stat. That is another reason Pawn weights don't do well, when caps are reached.

#146 Mutant

Mutant

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 04:20 AM

Arp > Haste for ret?

#147 frmorrison

frmorrison

Protector

• Allied Members
  • 11,427 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 04:29 AM

Arp > Haste for ret?

Nope, I must have made a typo, fixed. Haste is pretty nice.

#148 woodsielord

woodsielord

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 06:10 AM

I found a post saying you added PvP values, but they have been removed from the OP. Any specific reason?

#149 frmorrison

frmorrison

Protector

• Allied Members
  • 11,427 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 03:38 PM

I found a post saying you added PvP values, but they have been removed from the OP. Any specific reason?

I had some PvP values originally, but then I stopped playing Arena about a year ago so I cannot give a good opinion. The purpose is for PvE anyway. As gear changes, stat values so the original idea is flawed as least without giving context, such as this is good with 245 gear, this is good with 258 gear, etc. I am not going to update it again. For PvP, lots of resilience perhaps around 900 is a good goal.

#150 woodsielord

woodsielord

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 04:59 PM

For PvP, lots of resilience perhaps around 900 is a good goal.

Even that there is a good perspective, almost double of what I was aiming for. Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users