• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2923 replies to this topic

#1 landsoul

landsoul

Bald Bull

• Members
  • 1,025 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 11:22 PM

Version 3 of the spreadsheet for the release of Cataclysm is in development. There is currently no estimated time of it being finished, as quality is essential. The project will -not- be finished prior to Cataclysm release. The goal is to continue to deliver the quality, power, accuracy, and ease of use of its predecessor. If you wish to make a donation, you may do so via Paypal, to [email protected]

Before you do anything, please familiarize yourself with this first post. It gets updated.

Do not put trash posts in this thread. This includes, but not limited to, questions that belong in the FAQ thread. This thread is for discussing the spreadsheet only. Proper posts can include but are not limited to: Reporting errors, giving well-thought out and viable suggestions, discussing evaluations of items, discussing warrior mechanics that may pertain to the spreadsheet, asking/answering questions about operation of the spreadsheet, etc. Be intelligent with your post if you wish to make one. Please do your part to report any erroneous posts that you read to help keep poor posters off this forum. You may PM me with specific and detailed questions or concerns or that are not so easily answered via other means or utilizing the other threads. Thanks!!!!!

Version 3.0 Development notes:
-Calculations will be a lot more open source, and users will have more flexibility to edit fields.
-Created 3 additional pages. "Fury Calculation", "Arms Calculation", and "Shared Values", and changed the purpose of Fury and Arms pages.
-Fury or Arms Calculation pages will include the internal calculations to calculate DPS Metric, Ability
-Fury or Arms pages will display useful information needed for full use of the spreadsheet and simply reference the calculation pages. In other words, these pages contain the user friendly UI needed to change settings for DPS and shows practical info.
-Shared Values contain most if not all information and calculations shared between all specs, so that they need not be entered twice on each respective calculation page.
-Will clean up the Stat Cap information; the information given will be how much exactly you are over or under these caps.
-Renamed and revamped the named ranges system. It now uses the naming conventions the game and related database systems use. This change is necessary to promote the more open source nature of the system for advanced users to more easily create custom modules and macros.
-Adding reforging options in the equipment menus.
-Buff and Debuff selectable presets added - Self-Buffed, Raid-Set, Custom, No Debuff, SA, Raid-Set
-Distinguishability between 2 unique calculation sets: Homogeneous and Composite
-Homogeneous calculations will take course in the space of averages and the infinite (what we were used to with previous versions)
-Composite calculations will take place within defined time intervals, such that they partition a 'fight length' and each interval has a unique stat/DIM spread pertaining to mostly NON-RANDOM events (such as popping a cooldown or guaranteeing the use of RB through BzRage). These composite time intervals will still contain some kind of probabalistic estimation of random events, such as Enrage, as one can never approximate when that will activate in real situations as it is random. These intervals can be summed for a final result.
(update 11/19)-Arrived at the first closed calculation of Homogeneous FuryDPS for non-execute phase. This closed system still has many assumptions that need to be assigned dynamic models.

Help Needed: Need someone to evaluate the inputs for the new Battle.net Character Lookup and help write the new Armory Fetch VBA code. Knowledge of how the battle.net char lookup works with relation to it's stored variables, VBA functions for obtaining these values, and translation of that into VBA, and Excel knowledge is required. Please send me a PM here on EJ or directly email me.

Outdated, Old, and Sad Version (In case):
2.603b Jul 13 2010 WoW 3.3.5
A short introduction (which you should read) and download links are located at my guild's page here:
Visit here to download

Please note that any mods or translations listed below are not directly supported by me. I will not be responsible for any possible malicious software you may obtain by downloading these mods. I cannot directly help you with troubleshooting these mods. Contact it's creator for this.
Translations for 2007/2010 version 2.603b by Samot (July 2010)
German: Download WarriorDPS2.603bExcel07_ger.xlsm from Sendspace.com - send big files the easy way
French: Download WarriorDPS2.603bExcel07_FR.xlsm from Sendspace.com - send big files the easy way
Russian: Download WarriorDPS2.603bExcel07_ru.xlsm from Sendspace.com - send big files the easy way

If you get the error: "This workbook has lost it's VBA project, Active X controls, and any other programmability related features." make sure the Visual Basic components were included with your Office installation. The sheet uses scripted code. If the VBA resources were not included in your Excel, then those features will not work.

Best in Slot Sets
[table="head"]Slot|Fury (Non-Heroic)|Arms (Non-Heroic)
Head||
Neck||
Shoulder||
Back||
Chest||
Wrist||
Hands||
Waist||
Legs||
Feet||
Finger1||
Finger2||
Trinket1||
Trinket2||
Weapon1||
Weapon2||
Ranged||

[table="head"]Slot|Fury (Heroic)|Arms (Heroic)
Neck||
Shoulder||
Back||
Chest||
Wrist||
Hands||
Waist||
Legs||
Feet||
Finger1||
Finger2||
Trinket1||
Trinket2||
Weapon1||
Weapon2||
Ranged||

Current Bugs: N/A

#2 Emeraude

Emeraude

Bald Bull

• Members
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 05:56 AM

Because haste requires less rating then crit for 1%. Additionally your gear haste % is usually way lower then crit % - meaning that increasing haste by 1% has more of an impact then crit. Im not saying haste is good, mostly answering your question LodeRunner. At some gear level haste will catch up to crit im sure. Right now however its lower.

Right now from my spreadsheets, as well as landsouls, and multiple sims stat priority seems to be:

1st) Str - yes EVEN if you are NOT hit or expertise capped, gemming str is best for TG. I find it a bit hard to believe - but when 5 different math models seem to give me that result... I see no other way but to accept it.

2nd) Hit/Expertise until cap. Both around 90% of STR value - at naxx gear level.

3rd) Crit - definitely above other non STR stats

4th) Agility/haste/ArP - depending on gear i use the value of those 3 switches. Most common is Agility>ArP>Haste

5th) Hit - its WAY lower after the cap then other ones.

Reason for the low hit/expertise/haste position:

Those are the stats that impact rage generation the most. Thats why they were high pre-WLK. Right now in raiding environment I *ALREADY* am capped on rage most of the time - using heroic on every swing etc. And thats beggining of the expansion. In short, raiding warriors now have infinite rage. Therefore hit only affects now offhand dps - since rage is enough to use everything else on cd, and heroics take place of MH swings. Haste is higher , but again - the rage generation boost from haste is unimportant. Same for expertise.

Dragging this over from the other thread since it was on the topic of this spreadsheet.

When I punched in the numbers here I found that gemming for hit was still superior to gemming for str up to the 10%(Assuming Dreanei racial/precision maxed). Was I doing something in error or what?
What is the most important thing to you? Won't you grant me the pleasure of taking it away.

#3 cryinfreeman

cryinfreeman

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 06:33 AM

Emeraude, i have the same impression. Hit will probably give the most dps until you cap it. Or at least get close to the cap. The last part in the quoted text speaks of getting rage cap all the time. Seeing my rage bar in our Naxx raids, i can't say i agree. I have 8.72% hit with hit food and precision maxed and i can safely say that the misses were a bit of a problem. Maybe you don't need 14% hit. Maybe you could go with let's say 13% and see how it turns out.

About crit being valued over hit even if you are not capped (if that's the case), i think that Deep Wounds plays a really important role here. While in BC it was almost useless, the latest buff could really boost the crit value. I'll agree that crit along with strength are the best stats for warrior after you get the hit cap but i'll keep my doubts about crit or strength being more important if you are not.

#4 landsoul

landsoul

Bald Bull

• Members
  • 1,025 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 06:39 AM

Hit is superior once your AP and raid synergies become paramount. STR is additive and Hit is multiplicative. When I calculate at 5400 dps a Hit gets about 1.15 of a STR for me. When I take out the raid buffs STR evens out. This is of course, with all 80 heroic/raid loot at level 80, not 70.

I don't see error. Maybe he was saying this for 70?

#5 Moogul

Moogul

___facing so hard right now

• Members
  • 4,173 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 10:50 AM

STR is additive and Hit is multiplicative.

Not to nitpick, but this is really a misleading statement. Str is additive with Str, but multiplicative with hit (and crit, and agi, and armour pen, and expertise). Hit is multiplicative with Str, but additive with hit.

The value of strength will go up the more hit you have, and also the more crit you have. The value of hit will go up the more strength you have. Depending on your current ratio between the two, one will be worth more than the other.

Strength does not correspond to a static increase in dps. The more other stats you have, the more 'value for money' you get out of strength.
Ijago <Casual Jerks>

#6 suicuique

suicuique

King Hippo

• Members
  • 679 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 11:26 AM

Not to nitpick, but this is really a misleading statement. Str is additive with Str, but multiplicative with hit (and crit, and agi, and armour pen, and expertise). Hit is multiplicative with Str, but additive with hit.

The value of strength will go up the more hit you have, and also the more crit you have. The value of hit will go up the more strength you have. Depending on your current ratio between the two, one will be worth more than the other.

Strength does not correspond to a static increase in dps. The more other stats you have, the more 'value for money' you get out of strength.

Adding to this I do think it is important to keep in mind that each hit/str/crit addition has to be seen relative to the pool it is added to.

I cant think of a better way than to put it in a (highly theoretical) academic example:

While 20 STR may be superior to 20 Hit (even if not hit capped) at low AP values, it is just a drop in the bucket when reaching very high AP values e.g. of 10000 AP.
Everyone should agree that gemming for STR would result in severe "dimishing returns" (seen relatively to your total DPS) at these gear levels, and that crit/hit/exp would be the better stats to gem (until some caps).

I do not have a founded opinion where these lines may be, just experimenting around at the moment. I have prioritized heavily hit and crit in my gem slots. Well over the hit cap ... becuae I had the gut feeling rage drought moments severely hurt my DPS. Switching to STR shortly and see how it compares.

#7 mmaker

mmaker

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 12:23 PM

Thanks for this. Quite abit different between this and maxdps. For example maxdps says titan impact chocker is better then 25 badge neck, while this says the opposite =)

Anyways dont know if im dumb but when i change food from 30 STR to 30 hit,crit or haste nothing happens with the dps. Same happens when i try change to DK Ice Talon, nothing happens.

Also adamantite stones cant be used on Wotlk weapons afaik.

#8 Faeviactus

Faeviactus

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 03:33 PM

I am not sure Maxdps is really on topic with this but there are various bugs I have found with that site. Not the least of which is converts my old armor penetration value to armor penetration rating at import. Giving me values of like 960 in ArPR which immediately devalues ALL armor penetration on gear. Adjusting that number often fixes the gearing lists. I have noticed though different days switch the badge and the crafted neck, seemingly on whim as #1.

#9 Konorel

Konorel

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 04:05 AM

When using the newest version of this spreadsheet, I changed all of the sockets to "None" on the glove slot, and when I changed the top right cell, my DPS and a lot of other values became #N/A, similar to what happened when changing the enchant value for the chest slot.

Edit: I also found that the 7 STR 7 Hit gem is actually calculated as a 7 STR 7 Haste gem.

#10 Konorel

Konorel

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 05:01 AM

See previous post

#11 Slevin

Slevin

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 11:09 AM

File: FuryDPS2.010BETAExcel07.xlsm

Obsidian Greathelm is listed as having 59 armor penetration instead of 59 expertise rating.

#12 Slik

Slik

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 07:33 PM

Is there any future plans to enable an arms option on this spreadsheet?

#13 LodeRunner

LodeRunner

Just an excitable boy

• Guild Members
  • 4,793 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 02:37 AM

Here I thought we were in the FuryDPS Calculation Spreadsheet thread.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#14 Webb

Webb

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 02:51 PM

Is there any future plans to enable an arms option on this spreadsheet?

Very viable question, in my opinion. After the forum resets there is no arms discussions whatsoever. Do we need to make a new thread or can we add it to this one (without the permaban?)

#15 landsoul

landsoul

Bald Bull

• Members
  • 1,025 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 06:25 PM

Here I thought we were in the FuryDPS Calculation Spreadsheet thread.

It's a legitimate question, actually. I do plan on working in Arms once a legitimate means of accurate and reasonable modeling can be realized.... But that doesn't exist yet.

#16 Squallalaha

Squallalaha

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 02:48 AM

Also adamantite stones cant be used on Wotlk weapons afaik.

I can use Weightstones on Titansteel Dest (Mace), But Can't use the Sharpening on the Colossus Axe.

#17 cryinfreeman

cryinfreeman

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 04:03 PM

I had the same problem with a blue axe. Dunno what was wrong, maybe it's because i had titanium chains.

#18 Mendo

Mendo

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 02:12 AM

I had the same problem with a blue axe. Dunno what was wrong, maybe it's because i had titanium chains.

As far as I know, none of the weapon oils or stones are supposed to work on level 80 weapons. My guess is that they probably are supposed to stop working on either ilevel 187 or 200 weapons...but it seems that they possibly forgot about weightstones and only changed sharpening stones. I can't say for certain really, since I'm basing my assumptions on the observation of only two people having problems with stones and blades of some sort.

#19 Corobi

Corobi

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 09:52 AM

When using the newest version of this spreadsheet, I changed all of the sockets to "None" on the glove slot, and when I changed the top right cell, my DPS and a lot of other values became #N/A, similar to what happened when changing the enchant value for the chest slot.

I have the same problem. I've tried adding "None" to some of the Enchant/Gem lists that are missing that option, but my Dps, SEP and many other things change to #N/A when I try. I would love to learn and dig around deeper to find the problem on my own, but my knowledge of Excel is pretty limited.

A new version or update would be great if you find the time, or even just a way to make a quick fix if possible.

Thanks

#20 Wolvynskye

Wolvynskye

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 04:15 PM

Nice work as always landsoul on these spreadsheets, they are very helpful; just a quick question. Is the going to be added to the trinket list? (The 90 Strength version) Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users