• Please log in to reply
1672 replies to this topic

#21 enthrop

enthrop

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 02:52 PM

Do you mean something like... 10 crit = 5 dps, 10 haste = 4.5 dps, etc?

If so, on the right side.... click "Chart" -- "Item Budget" (you might have to scroll down).

That's show you how much dps each 'set' of stat contributes.

#22 Kavan

Kavan

Bald Bull

• Members
  • 1018 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 10:55 PM

This is a common theme that frequently shows up. While Rawr.Mage gives an answer to this in the Item Budget graph, I think this is not the right way to look at upgrades.

There are essentially two ways how to handle upgrades. One way is to look at all available gear, create the ultimate set and then work your way towards it. Another approach is to look at upgrades in a progressive manner, looking at which items make the greatest improvement over your current item set. I think ultimately the best way is to combine both of these and I'll provide some information about how you can use Rawr to search for progressive upgrades.

There is an important problem that one can overlook when search for upgrades. This is the problem of looking at one particular fight setting and trying to make generalizations to different fight conditions. The way I'm using Rawr is I have rawr character profiles for different fight conditions that are common in raiding. Different fight lengths, different combinations of raid buffs, special fights including resists and similar. You don't need to cover every possible situation, just what is common in your everyday raiding.

After you have all fight conditions set up you should mark all items that you have available (i.e. in your inventory). I would suggest that you mark only the specific gemming that you're using currently (you do this with control-clicking the diamond so that it turns blue as opposed to green) and select the current enchant on the item (right click the diamond and select the enchant). This will be helpful for progressive upgrades unless you plan to regem everything whenever you get a new item. You can still look at how to best regem your gear when you set it up this way by checking Override Regem option in the optimizer.

Now the questions is, given these fight conditions and current available items, how do you determine which gear will give you the best upgrade overall over all fight conditions.

To answer this question you have the Batch Tools available from the Tools menu. First thing you should do is load all fight settings you created. You can either do File->Import and select all character profile files or add them individually by clicking on the ... button. You can save the set of fight conditions with File->Save so that you can reuse it later.

This should give you a list of characters for different fight conditions with a score for each. You will see a column called Weight. You can use this to adjust relative importance of different fight conditions. For example if you don't want the resist fight have much importance, but still take it into account, you lower its weight. You can quickly switch between different profiles by clicking on the Show button.

Let's look at the tools that are available. First we have Set Available Items. This will copy the items marked available in the currently open character to all profilese in the batch list. So you don't have to make changes in each profile, you just make it in one of them and then set it for all.

The main tools are Optimize and Build Upgrade List. Optimize is the equivalent of optimizing each individual profile. When you do this any profile that finds an improvement will be marked with a * and a value of new score will be displayed in its column. After optimization is complete you can either save all new profiles with Save Characters or use Save Characters as Copy to leave the current profiles intact and save the optimized ones in a separate xml file.

Finally let's look at what we initially set out to do. For build upgrade list I suggest setting thoroughness to minimum and disabling regem/reenchant overrides. The batch version of Build Upgrade List is distinct in the way it evaluates gear. It won't create separate upgrade lists for each fight condition, instead it will look at upgrades and see how much of an upgrade it provides for each of them and compute a weighted average using the specified weight.

What this means is that even though for a very long fight it might be good to think about mana regen, it will be balanced against other fight conditions so on a overall very good item it will use gems that are good overall. At the same time it will be able to point out potential sidegrades. If one item is very good in a specific fight condition, it will realize that and suggest gemming and enchant that is in line with that. You can also use this to find a new purpose for items that you replaced. For example they might fit well to fill the niche when you have to gear for when you don't have draenei aura in the group. Similarly look at items that you have available as there might be a gemming option available that is better overall than what you're currently using.

Last just a note on how to keep such a setup updated once you get new gear. First decide how to gem and enchant the gear and then make appropriate changes in which items you have marked as available. If you regemmed/reenchanted some item that you were using in some of the profiles you can use the Replace Unavailable option. This will look through your profiles and look for items that are no longer marked as available and replace them with a gemming combination that is now available. Finally you run the optimize and update your ingame item sets.

#23 Kehly

Kehly

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 03:13 AM

Has anyone been able to locate a tick or option to add Darkglow Embroidery to cloak?

#24 Baruk

Baruk

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 12:32 PM

As some profession buffs have already been implemeted: could you please add alchemists Mixology ?
Per Aspera ad Astra

#25 The Stonemender

The Stonemender

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 01:27 PM

EDIT: Never mind. Didnt Check out 2.1.4. Filtering is fine now.

Bug: Cincture of Polarity is listed twice in 'comparisons' giving 211.43 dps and 190.01 dps (no gems in CoP).

#26 Toshimo

Toshimo

Soda Popinski

• Members
  • 3195 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 03:27 PM

EDIT: Never mind. Didnt Check out 2.1.4. Filtering is fine now.

Bug: Cincture of Polarity is listed twice in 'comparisons' giving 211.43 dps and 190.01 dps (no gems in CoP).

Actually open the item in the editor. The higher one may be gemmed but the gem will not show until you select a gem slot color for it.

#27 The Stonemender

The Stonemender

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 03:44 PM

As is said: Cincture of Polarity has no sockets.

#28 Wizeowel

Wizeowel

old and slow

• Members
  • 1552 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 04:51 PM

Indeed the 2.1.4 data files have a Cincture with a gem. This can happen when you do load from armory on a character with a Belt Buckle.

Coincidentally, there is a gnome mage in Astrylian's guild with Cincture and a red gem :)

#29 Toshimo

Toshimo

Soda Popinski

• Members
  • 3195 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 05:26 PM

Indeed the 2.1.4 data files have a Cincture with a gem. This can happen when you do load from armory on a character with a Belt Buckle.

Coincidentally, there is a gnome mage in Astrylian's guild with Cincture and a red gem :)

Honestly, this is one of the huge reasons I keep an entirely separate ItemCache.xml file to swap into each version. It almost feels like the cache could use it's own maintainer at this point as it's gotten to the point where the product is almost unusable out of the box.

#30 Astrylian

Astrylian

Rawr

• Members
  • 3604 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 06:18 PM

That would be my wife. :) There's probably a few extra-gemmed belts in the default itemcache, sorry.

I think the idea that the default itemcache is unusable is quite the exaggeration, but major changes are coming in 2.2 toward how Rawr handles items and item gemmings.
Rawr!

#31 Toshimo

Toshimo

Soda Popinski

• Members
  • 3195 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 06:39 PM

That would be my wife. :) There's probably a few extra-gemmed belts in the default itemcache, sorry.

I think the idea that the default itemcache is unusable is quite the exaggeration, but major changes are coming in 2.2 toward how Rawr handles items and item gemmings.

Take a look at this screenshot. On the left is a proper itemcache. On the right is the default itemcache.

For a new user, the default cache makes things confusing. Now, the things in the screenshot do go away when gemming is properly done (with duplicate deletion), but what isn't shown is the large number of fairly worthless items that show up on the bottom of the list.

Too many junk items lead to the situation that doing an itemcache update (which it seems I need to do whenever I compile a new version from source) takes so long I could go out to the bar for a pint and still have time to wait.

I like the product and appreciate your work but this area is one where I consistently feel dissatisfied.

#32 Guest_ainav_*

Guest_ainav_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 December 2008 - 09:12 PM

Rawr 2.1.4 doesn't seem to take into consideration Torment the weak even when you click on 3.0.8 mode.
I checked with and without Torment the weak talent and both times damage of my frostbolt was the same.

#33 Maje

Maje

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 487 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 10:45 PM

Rawr 2.1.4 doesn't seem to take into consideration Torment the weak even when you click on 3.0.8 mode.
I checked with and without Torment the weak talent and both times damage of my frostbolt was the same.

Go to Options->Snared Time set it to a number higher then 0.

#34 Guest_ainav_*

Guest_ainav_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 December 2008 - 10:58 PM

How stupid of me.
Sorry for the wrong report and thanks for the fast reply.

#35 wyndchill

wyndchill

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 09:44 PM

where would i find a setting to include the extra 3% ghost hit from ffb for mages?

I want an optimization that isnt looking to add that extra 3% hit I dont need.

#36 manly

manly

Soda Popinski

• Guild Members
  • 3596 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 09:50 PM

options -> advanced -> 3.08 mode
<Eej> YOU"RE GONNA PULL
<Eej> IF YOU SQUEEZE OFF ANOTHER ARCANE BLAST
<Spectear> You've obviously never played with Manly.
<Spectear> That's hardly a reason to stop DPS.
Very Manly Staff

#37 Actovision

Actovision

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 282 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 11:31 PM

options -> advanced -> 3.08 mode

He wants the opposite, he doesn't want to factor in the EP fix next patch.

The ghost hit is already factored in by Rawr, which will explain why hit plummets in the "Item Budget" section at 8% from gear with full raid buffs. To calculate how things will look next patch with the fix and other changes, use the checkbox manly described. Hint: hit will probably be on top.

BvB on a BB server

#38 Guest_aliengrey_*

Guest_aliengrey_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 December 2008 - 06:46 AM

rawr needs to add in the tier7 4 piece set bonus or unless i'm not seeing it in the options...

#39 Astrylian

Astrylian

Rawr

• Members
  • 3604 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 07:06 AM

Set bonuses are automatically handled. On the buffs tab, you'll see 'Frostfire Garb 4 Piece', which will automatically be enabled/disabled as your gear changes.
Rawr!

#40 Praanz

Praanz

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 05:22 PM

Have I missed it, or is there some way to account for the improved flask alchemists have? The 30% improved flask from Mixology - Spell - World of Warcraft

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users