• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1633 replies to this topic

#21 Lothiron

Lothiron

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 09:58 PM

I am pretty sure this is actually 180 base +damage at level 80.

It is. Fel Armor Rank 4 provides spell power equal to 180 base +30% of your spirit.

Fel Armor - Spell - World of Warcraft

If you're going to take the time to put up an 'informative' post, PLEASE at least make sure your information is correct!

#22 Namnalia

Namnalia

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 09:19 AM

My fault, changed it (and some other small things).

My next plan is to do the calculation of dps/dpct of all the spells used with the stats used above (and naxx10-stats and naxx-25-stats as well) and give a good estimation of "normal" dps. I can then easily derive the values of hit, spelldamage, crit and haste and start to rate equip and gems based on that (a little bit like the "Gearing your warlock" system from canadiangimp).
I'll also add some of the specs from the spec-discussion-thread.

#23 Kabale

Kabale

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 11:21 AM

MaxDPS.com - Affliction Warlock DPS Gear Rankings

Can be used as a rough guide on the pieces of interest to Affliction and Locks in general.

#24 dragon12

dragon12

Bald Bull

• Members
  • 1818 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 12:48 PM

MaxDPS.com - Affliction Warlock DPS Gear Rankings

Can be used as a rough guide on the pieces of interest to Affliction and Locks in general.

MaxDPS is generally a horribly inaccurate reflection of what gear/stats are good and bad. People would be much better off using the sim (and the spreadsheet when it's updated) to figure out their stat EPs. You can then use LootRank (I think?) to plug in the EPs and get recommended gear.

#25 Kabale

Kabale

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 01:25 PM

Hence the "rough" part. I can imagine many people lack the interest/time/devotion to maintain a spreadsheet, so just to get a basic picture of what loot they should be aiming on acquiring, the MaxDPS list is sufficient. I'm just trying to prevent any future "whats best gear setup" spam followed by "use the spreadsheet".

#26 Namnalia

Namnalia

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 02:49 PM

I started to link the Talents/Spells for better reading.

I added calculations for damage and dpct for every spell and an estimation for overall damage. As the result is obviously wrong (should be 3k+) I'm now searching for the error(s) in the calculation. There are also some questions left:

-How does "Amplify Curse" work exactly? Does it really reduce the Base Cast Time of all Curses to 1s ? What about haste then, is it still applied afterwards (as I remember no spell should ever be faster than 1s)?

-Did I get all the damage coefficients right (probably not)?

-Any other mistakes?

#27 rutiene

rutiene

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 159 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 02:53 PM

Haste has no effect on Curses past 1s as the GCD has a hard cap of 1 second minimum. As for DPCT calculations, fallenman has some good ones: http://elitistjerks....otations_guide/

#28 Lothiron

Lothiron

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 04:04 PM

I think we should merge the discussion from the two separate affliction threads into one single thread; just need to ensure that the proper information is updated on the first post.

#29 DiamondTear

DiamondTear

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 334 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 05:03 PM

Not only is it important to try to keep haunt up <25%, but also refresh your other dots as well because of Soul Siphon. For as much damage as DS does, it's worth adding a shadow bolt to maintain Embrace. Basically, continue keeping your rotation going (possibly with the exception of Immolate since it doesn't count towards Soul Siphon), but after the first bolt, switch to drain soul and repeat.

You can maintain embrace with haunt.

Has someone actually done the math on immolate below 25 %? It seems that the DPCT is really high but everyone is dropping it first, because it used to be a lot worse in TBC.

#30 Nicarras

Nicarras

Keyboard Cowboy

• Members
  • 3473 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 06:34 PM

I'm still testing this myself. But Immolate's DPCT is not that high. DS kills it, especially at 25%. I'd rather just maintain aff debuffs and DS at 25%. Testing will tell, but I have a feeling thats going to work out.

#31 Riverdanceonice

Riverdanceonice

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 08:04 AM

Does anyone know the value of Black Magic vs. 63 spell power to weapon for affliction? Is the dot it applies affected by haunt / shadow's embrace?

#32 ezet

ezet

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 11:27 AM

Are you sure your calculation of CoA's DPS is correct? I can't see any specific errors but I'm quite certain it should be closer to corruption in terms of DPS (and DPCT). Also, did you include improved CoA in your calculations ?

#33 Namnalia

Namnalia

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 01:43 PM

No, I'm not sure at all.

I changed a lot now, corrected spell damage coefficents, added the spellstone effect and some other stuff (e.g. I did in fact forget the Improved Curse of Agony Talent). Some things are left to do:

- Everlasting affliction gives 20%, not 5%

Is this true? In the blizzard calculator on the us-site, it is 20%, everywhere else (including the european site, wowhead and others) it is 5%.

- I did not calculate Nightfall procs
I'm just lazy, I'll do it sooner or later

- Immolate DoT component gets haunt bonus etc, but can't crit.
Or, in other words: the computation for Immolate is just plain wrong atm.

Nevertheless, the estimated dps is now realistic (2822 dps) for a "first evening in naxx" scenario, I guess. The 3%-Damage-Buff is missing, NF is missing, runes are missing right now.

Next big step will be: Derive the worth of +haste, +crit, +crit and +spelldamage from this. Then, I can start to compare equip from a well-based affliction dps point-of-view.

#34 Yeoldelock

Yeoldelock

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 08:34 PM

Hence the "rough" part. I can imagine many people lack the interest/time/devotion to maintain a spreadsheet, so just to get a basic picture of what loot they should be aiming on acquiring, the MaxDPS list is sufficient. I'm just trying to prevent any future "whats best gear setup" spam followed by "use the spreadsheet".

Wowhead is a much better way to do it. Go to the category you're looking for (say Cloth Head), create a filter and choose "Added in Wrath of the Lich King" (very top). You can then filter further by choosing only Rare and / or Epic items.

#35 Nicarras

Nicarras

Keyboard Cowboy

• Members
  • 3473 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 08:39 PM

Are you sure your calculation of CoA's DPS is correct? I can't see any specific errors but I'm quite certain it should be closer to corruption in terms of DPS (and DPCT). Also, did you include improved CoA in your calculations ?

CoA's DPCT is modeled fairly well in SimulationCraft you can look at the info there, it's held up pretty well so far.

Wowhead is a much better way to do it. Go to the category you're looking for (say Cloth Head), create a filter and choose "Added in Wrath of the Lich King" (very top). You can then filter further by choosing only Rare and / or Epic items.

Yes creating item weights with the wowhead tool is a VERY viable way to determine what gear is best for you at whatever point your character is in. SimCraft again has nice baseline numbers for scaling that you can leverage and tweak from there to see how it will sort the gear out.

#36 Darkstarrz

Darkstarrz

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 09:13 PM

So I just started raiding affliction again for the first time since the good old kara days. I feel I have gotten down my rotation pretty well, and the more I raid and do heroics the more it comes naturally to me. I was just curious as to what percent you guys are dropping your infernals, and have you found a definate dps increase with dropping immolate -25%?

#37 Nicarras

Nicarras

Keyboard Cowboy

• Members
  • 3473 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 09:19 PM

I generally try and drop it at 35% to link it with BL and the incoming switch to DS spam. Key is to try and make use of its full duration.

#38 Darkstarrz

Darkstarrz

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 09:29 PM

Thanks Niccaras, Also, Does anyone know a good addon that shows you your targets(boss's) HP percentage to help with signifying when to begin casting drain soul on any encounter. I know you can obtain this via normal wow UI but I use AG Uint Frames and it only seems to show actually numbers for the targets HP.

#39 Eph

Eph

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 293 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 09:34 PM

Thanks Niccaras, Also, Does anyone know a good addon that shows you your targets(boss's) HP percentage to help with signifying when to begin casting drain soul on any encounter. I know you can obtain this via normal wow UI but I use AG Uint Frames and it only seems to show actually numbers for the targets HP.

Pitbull can be configured to show this and anything else you can code with DogTags.

#40 Yeoldelock

Yeoldelock

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 09:42 PM

Yes creating item weights with the wowhead tool is a VERY viable way to determine what gear is best for you at whatever point your character is in. SimCraft again has nice baseline numbers for scaling that you can leverage and tweak from there to see how it will sort the gear out.

To be honest, I just use it to see new items and get a good idea of my gear path (eg: get item X from heroics, then upgrade it by getting item Y from Naxx).

Could you elaborate a little (or link me to info about) the gear weights? What's that all about?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users