• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1399 replies to this topic

#21 dragon12

dragon12

Bald Bull

• Members
  • 1818 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 02:27 PM

I definitely noticed that if I used Immolate during Backdraft I couldn't cast the following spell straight away after the cast finished. I'm pretty sure Backdraft doesn't reduce the GCD.

#22 Nightcore

Nightcore

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 02:32 PM

I definitely noticed that if I used Immolate during Backdraft I couldn't cast the following spell straight away after the cast finished. I'm pretty sure Backdraft doesn't reduce the GCD.

Same here.

#23 Gorthan

Gorthan

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 02:42 PM

0.95 immolate during backdraft. Does not reduces GCD.

#24 Flying V

Flying V

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 05:06 PM

The GCD is reduced by your haste rating, Backdraft only reduces the cast time of destruction spells.

#25 Shabaz

Shabaz

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 07:44 PM

I'd love some thoughts on this slight variant 30/40+1 build. Something about this feels right...I'd love to play with Chaos bolt but all the % increases on this one makes me feel it will scale better.

Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft

First...the last talant point options:

A) Mana Feed - My thinking for this was 1 point in Mana feed means I can get my imp back some mana. Healers often through some hots on me when they can, and since my imp will otherwise dry up, this seemed like a way to keep trickle feeding him some power when I was tapping.

B) Improved COA - Should be part of my rotation and will be an easy 5% boost.

C) Demonic Knowledge - 1 pt should equate to around 40ish spellpower...which isn't a bad full time boost.

D) Demonic Empowerment - 1 pt = 20% imp crit bonus.

E) Shadowfury - Nice AOE...and with all the AOE tanks now this one could be nice

F) Empowered Imp - This one stumps me a little...Demonic gives a 20% crit bonus theoretically 30 seconds out of every minute. 1 pt in EI gives the imp a full time 5% crit increase, with 1 in 3 of his crits increasing personal crit by 20%

Each seem to have nice advantages. I think I'm tempted to go Shadowfury, as I know that can be helpful, but I can't help feeling EI, DEmp, or DK will yield more DPS and yet Mana Feed may provide the best balance keeping my Imp from sitting useless.

Lastly...rotation...I'm thinking it should be COA, Corrupt, Immo, Incin repeat. Fairly simple.

Thoughts? Anyone else thinking this will scale better single target then 2/13/56 or 0/20/51?

#26 Belific

Belific

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 08:11 PM

Lastly...rotation...I'm thinking it should be COA, Corrupt, Immo, Incin repeat. Fairly simple.

Well your spec is almost like mine except I did not put up Sac(which TBH is not really usefull) up instead of 2\2 M Summoner which is great in some fights Since it helps for a clutch resummon, and Imp sac gives 10% fire dmg while having the imp out either DPSing or not gives 5% fire damage and 5% fire crit.

I put up shadowfury because its really good, read what I posted. I think its one of the best specs yet... I've used backdraft,conflag,chaos and afflic specs but I rather stick with mine.

Corr, then Immolate then COA Then spamm Inncinerate

#27 Jerrybear24

Jerrybear24

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 10:12 PM

I put up shadowfury because its really good, read what I posted. I think its one of the best specs yet... I've used backdraft,conflag,chaos and afflic specs but I rather stick with mine.

I like this spec also but I'm wondering why you put the one point there in SF instead of either mana feed or possibly (and i'm not sure about this one as much) Demonic Knowledge. It seems my imp goes oom and spends alot of time under regen. Seems that the 1 point 33% of mana return is going to yield my imp about 958 mana per LT (still trying to make sure my numbers are right on that) SF seems to be only useful on trash and some heroics. I really am curious about where the best place for that last point is, and why you chose SF over the other places.

#28 Krazen

Krazen

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 436 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 10:21 PM

This spec is not possible.

Yeah that should read 0/13/56 + 2.

#29 Shabaz

Shabaz

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 01:18 AM

Well your spec is almost like mine except I did not put up Sac(which TBH is not really usefull) up instead of 2\2 M Summoner which is great in some fights Since it helps for a clutch resummon, and Imp sac gives 10% fire dmg while having the imp out either DPSing or not gives 5% fire damage and 5% fire crit.

Corr, then Immolate then COA Then spamm Inncinerate

Ill try the rotation...I did the 1 pt in sac (and 1 less in resummon) because Ive found the nearly instant resummon is fast enough and the sac option should help on particuarly pet unfriendly bosses, or if I have to enslave.

As for Shadowfury...yeah...I think I will start with that. Mana feed is tempting because I think Ill end up resummoning my imp alot rather then waiting on mana regen so mana feed would keep him going...but Shadowfury is awfully tempting.

#30 Belific

Belific

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 03:53 AM

I like this spec also but I'm wondering why you put the one point there in SF instead of either mana feed or possibly (and i'm not sure about this one as much) Demonic Knowledge. It seems my imp goes oom and spends alot of time under regen. Seems that the 1 point 33% of mana return is going to yield my imp about 958 mana per LT (still trying to make sure my numbers are right on that) SF seems to be only useful on trash and some heroics. I really am curious about where the best place for that last point is, and why you chose SF over the other places.

The only reason I went SF spec was because of the malygos fight. It works great with Deathgrip also SF goes well in other fights.
You can go mana feed too, It all depends on what fights you do. I just like the ability to clutch interrupt, stun and deal shadow damage hoping for MC to proc in aoe. I saw all the specs in this and I really do dislike Chaos Bolt, Conflag, backdraft, afflic.

Im looking forward for some input from some Chaos bolters to see if they like this spec

#31 Pentamorfi

Pentamorfi

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 04:24 AM

Chaos bolt specs suffer from the same problem TBC destruction did at the start of the expansion: you just don't have the gear to get the best out of it. I expect it will end up scaling superbly (and I'm looking forward to that) but for the time being I bit the bullet and went for 0/41/30.

Some points of interest about Chaos Bolt specs: you NEED to learn to micromanage your pet. Sartharion is the prime example of this. Keep him alive at all costs, he's your second highest damage source after Incinerate, offers you a nice crit boost which is quite valuable at current gear levels and you can't afford to have him phase shifted - or dead. Put him on defensive, bind Pet follow to an easily accessible key (I have Alt 3 bound to it since it's impossible for me to use Ctrl) and pay attention to your surroundings. It's not enough to move your warlock out of the fire anymore, you need to do the same for your minion as well.

Assuming 2 of your 3 major glyphs will be Glyph of Imp and Immolate, your 3rd one is up for debate. As a 0/20/51 spec I used both CoA and Corr in my rotation and the difference in DPS by using either of the two corresponding glyphs can range from minor to pretty damn big depending on RNG (but always in Corruption's favour). With this spec Corruption does more damage than CoA for me (regardless of selected glyph) and it gives increased MC uptime, there's no reason you wouldn't cast it. I suspect someone will bring up DPM issues or whatnot - 500 extra mana spent every 18 seconds when your main nuke costs 522 mana anyway will not destroy your DPS. In most fights you have to move so much that time spent casting Lifetap means nothing at all.

Steer clear of Conflag/Backdraft specs for the time being. Conflag is not worth the talent point without speccing into Backdraft, and all Backdraft does is mess up your priorities. When/If they make Backdraft not affect Immolate (or alternatively, when/if they remove the shard cost from Soulfire), we can talk again.

Improved Soul Leach is well worth the 5 point investment, both in normal and heroic raids.

#32 Silvanaa

Silvanaa

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 07:11 AM

I see alot of people mentioning that their imp is going oom, i was watching my imps mana pool during tonights raid and it never seemed to go below 90% mana. Are your imps getting wisdom and intellect? Im thinking that that may be the source of your imps mana problems.

#33 smoo86

smoo86

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 09:39 AM

My imp went to ~9% Mana in 10 man Naxxramas Patchwerk Fight (3:30). Never seen any oom imp in 25 raids. Its best to keep phase shift off, so the normal group buffs can catch your imp (its a pain in the ass to discuss with some buff-classes why they should buff "this little useless imp").

Sartharion: I have to admit, that I like to sac my imp there, I tend to forget him all the time. Our healers arent really spending attention to it, so even with the firebolts coming from the sky there is still a good possibility for him to die. I dont think that health funneling your imp will increase your dps ;).

#34 Flying V

Flying V

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 01:54 PM

Is it worth dropping CoA from your rotation in favor of CoD once you get the 2 piece t7 bonus? Since corruption and immolate both can proc MC as well as the 2 set bonus, it would make for a simpler rotation with a higher DPCT curse.

#35 dragon12

dragon12

Bald Bull

• Members
  • 1818 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 02:11 PM

Does immolate proc MC? The talent tooltip isn't clear.

#36 Tinava

Tinava

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 02:16 PM

MC's procced by shadow damage, hence, your shadow dots. I personally have not seen immo proc it -- you can always check that on a target dummy for certainty.

#37 Gorthan

Gorthan

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 02:17 PM

No. Shadow damage procs MC.

#38 dragon12

dragon12

Bald Bull

• Members
  • 1818 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 02:19 PM

MC's procced by shadow damage, hence, your shadow dots. I personally have not seen immo proc it -- you can always check that on a target dummy for certainty.

That's what I thought, and was about to say that as a reply to Flying V, but then checked the talent tooltip which is worded quite badly.

#39 Flying V

Flying V

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 02:22 PM

No. Shadow damage procs MC.

Actually the tooltip says shadow spells AND damage over time effects.

Molten Core

It seems safe to assume that immolate's DoT effect would proc it since the only other damage over time effects we have (other than the shadowflame dot -_-) are all shadow, and the second part of the tooltip wouldn't be worth mentioning.

#40 Tinava

Tinava

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 02:27 PM

Actually the tooltip says shadow spells AND damage over time effects.

Molten Core

It seems safe to assume that immolate's DoT effect would proc it since the only other damage over time effects we have (other than the shadowflame dot -_-) are all shadow, and the second part of the tooltip wouldn't be worth mentioning.

I think it's just worded badly. Because really, if this talent only required any dot, why would a firelock ever use anything other than immolate for the proc? This would take us back to the shadowbolt-spam style 2.0 destro locks, and Blizzard reps have stated they wanted to pull back from one-button-spam and win specs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users