• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 vyce

vyce

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 03:10 PM

The mod Pawn allows you to enter values for each stat so that you can compare items more easily.

Note, these values change as gear changes, but it is at a decent approximation of the value of each item. Rawr/Spreadsheets/Experience are superior sources of information.

Over in the Paladin forum we have a thread going with Pawn values in order to help determine gear value for the different specs. A friend of mine is looking for something like this for his druid, specifically for bear and cat forms. Since there was no thread going already, I figured I'd start one. I'll update this thread with suggested strings.

Feral Cat (dps):

( Pawn: v1: "kiku cat dps": ArmorPenetration=0.12, MeleeDps=2.71, CritRating=0.61, Strength=1.03, Agility=0.93, HitRating=1.06, ExpertiseRating=1.06, HasteRating=0.70, FeralAp=0.44, Ap=0.44 )

Feral Bear (tank):

Resto (healing):

( Pawn: v1: "red's resto": Intellect=5.794, RedSocket=178.562, CritRating=2.047, ColorlessSocket=178.562, MetaSocket=339.242, HasteRating=2.866, BlueSocket=114.582, YellowSocket=130.934, SpellPower=9.398, Spirit=5.133, Mp5=10 )

( Pawn: v1: "vom's resto": Intellect=54.0, CritRating= 8.5, SpellPower= 52.5, Spirit= 58.9, Mp5= 100 )

Balance (dps):

edit: updated 12/14/08

#2 Humbaba

Humbaba

Mr. Sandman

• Allied Members
  • 6,110 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 04:34 PM

The general rule for druids is to use Rawr since the weights change as your gear changes.

#3 vyce

vyce

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 04:45 PM

That's actually true for almost every class (afaik). Pawn is good as a sort of guide rather than a hard rule.

#4 RareBeast

RareBeast

Von Kaiser

•  Patrons
  • 88 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 05:23 AM

I generally punch the stat values Rawr gives me into Pawn for reference as well as putting them into Lootrank for an offline guide.

#5 Miim

Miim

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 10:55 AM

I generally punch the stat values Rawr gives me into Pawn for reference as well as putting them into Lootrank for an offline guide.

I havent used Rawr that much, could you maybe help me out where I can find the current stat weighing displayed in Rawr?

#6 Gryth

Gryth

I am the terror that flaps in the night

•  Patrons
  • 567 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 10:30 PM

I havent used Rawr that much, could you maybe help me out where I can find the current stat weighing displayed in Rawr?

Get all your gear loaded up, choose the correct model (Cat vs Bear vs etc), then at the top of the right-hand frame (Comparisons), there's a dropdown labeled "Chart". It's set to "Gear > Head". Click there, and go down towards the bottom of the list. You want "Relative Stat Values".

#7 red

red

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 11:55 PM

Unfortunately, it doesn't appear as if Rawr has relative stat values for the Tree model. It also seems to way overvalue haste and crit ratings, based on items and gems it recommends. I think a 'general guide' would be useful to many restoration druids out there, especially those who are still working on gear from heroics and maybe some of the 10 mans. As a starting point, let's use values from this post in the itemization thread.

( Pawn: v1: "resto": Intellect=5.794, RedSocket=178.562, CritRating=2.047, ColorlessSocket=178.562, MetaSocket=339.242, HasteRating=2.866, BlueSocket=114.582, YellowSocket=130.934, SpellPower=9.398, Spirit=5.133, Mp5=10 )

In a format that is easier to read:
Intellect: 5.794
Spirit: 5.133
Spellpower: 9.398
Mp5: 10
Crit Rating: 2.047
Haste Rating: 2.866

Socket values in the string are based on the following gems; I don't know if they're optimal.
(The +2% int assumes 900 int)

Would anybody like to suggest improvements?

Personally I might consider lowering haste and crit values, and increasing spell power, due to scaling issues. I would also bump up spirit and lower int, since I don't raid with replenishment (another issue entirely).

Unfortunently, can not be cut in game. Hopefully they add in a lot of gem recipies (as well as some extra enchants) in the next patch.

Ah right, thanks. Fixed.

#8 Diameter

Diameter

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 291 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 12:15 AM

Unfortunently, can not be cut in game. Hopefully they add in a lot of gem recipies (as well as some extra enchants) in the next patch.

#9 Kiku

Kiku

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 01:51 AM

I'm unfamiliar with PAWN, but perhaps this information can be helpful.

For cat dps, according to RAWR, with all current best in slot items, you'll get a stat breakdown something like this:

Loot Rank for WOLTK

I think I had to change gear around slightly to be under the expertise cap inorder to see a value.

#10 Iceman69

Iceman69

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 04:34 AM

It also seems to way overvalue haste and crit ratings, based on items and gems it recommends.

Agreed. I don't even bother pulling up Rawr to analyze gear options for my resto set. It is so heavily skewed towards crit and haste and devalues spirit and mp5 to the point that I find to be a ridiculous waste of time to analyze relative gear values with that model.

#11 giansm

giansm

Bald Bull

• Members
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 04:46 AM

There is no Pawn string that works for everyone. Stats have different values depending on what you are currently wearing and what buffs you have, and so the "right" Pawn string can change wildly from person to person. It would be better to fix the Rawr module or create a good spreadsheet than to try to come up with the one true Pawn string (since it doesn't exist).

#12 RareBeast

RareBeast

Von Kaiser

•  Patrons
  • 88 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 04:55 AM

Agreed. I don't even bother pulling up Rawr to analyze gear options for my resto set. It is so heavily skewed towards crit and haste and devalues spirit and mp5 to the point that I find to be a ridiculous waste of time to analyze relative gear values with that model.

Yes, the tree module seems to have an issue there - I noticed that changing the duration of the fight seemed to have no impact on the value of mana regen, so I think there is something broken with the fight duration option. I've posted on the Codeplex site but haven't had a response from Astrylian yet.

#13 Vomityn

Vomityn

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 06:34 AM

These are the stats that I came up with for Resto:
Intellect 29.2
Spirit 60.6
SpellPower 22.6
MP5 136.2
Crit 0.4

These values are calculate from a model (rawr+excel) around keeping up 3 HoTs (RJ, RG, 3xLB) until OOM and then regenerating your mana. Rise and repeat. This basically gave me a total HPS that I could produce over an infinite time. I produced the model for +10 int, spirt, sp, mp5, and crit. The above stats are the HPS(x10 scale) difference from base.

Before you go poking holes in my model... this was built very roughly for my way of healing and has given me excellent results on LootRank pre-raiding. Of course you'll need to decide for yourself if this fits your methods or not.

Unfortunately, I forgot to include haste in my stats.

PS: First time posting. :)

#14 red

red

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 07:19 AM

There is no Pawn string that works for everyone. Stats have different values depending on what you are currently wearing and what buffs you have, and so the "right" Pawn string can change wildly from person to person. It would be better to fix the Rawr module or create a good spreadsheet than to try to come up with the one true Pawn string (since it doesn't exist).

This is a given with any stat weights. However, I think that people just starting off on the path of making informed gear decisions could definitely benefit from a point to start from. It doesn't have to be 100% accurate for all druids all the time, just useful for some players at a certain gear level to get in the ballpark. In the paladin pawn thread it makes sure to indicate that the values are approximations, and stat values change as your stats change. Perhaps this thread could use a similar disclaimer.

#15 vyce

vyce

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 01:41 PM

Thanks for all the latest feedback. I will be updating the OP today to reflect some of your values.

#16 vyce

vyce

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 02:30 PM

I'm unfamiliar with PAWN, but perhaps this information can be helpful.

For cat dps, according to RAWR, with all current best in slot items, you'll get a stat breakdown something like this:

Loot Rank for WOLTK

I think I had to change gear around slightly to be under the expertise cap inorder to see a value.

I've added yours, but it does seem to be missing socket values. Any thoughts?

#17 Iceman69

Iceman69

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 04:41 PM

I agree the value of each stat is relative and dynamic, there is no one size fits all scale. But there are scales that will result in lists of gear where you can look at the resulting values and quickly see if the item is even worth considering.

Right now Rawr's tree model is broken and there's nothing I can do to change it. But I can enter a scale into Pawn or set values on Lootrank and get some useful results. They aren't the kind of results where you should just blindly take the highest "rated" item, but they are the kind of results where I can determine if an item is worth considering, and even Rawr's results should not be blindly accepted. You need to understand the dynamics, your play style, what you are trying to accomplish, etc. and make a smart choice from the options available, these tools all just serve to bubble the "best" options to the top.

I've got a scale in Pawn that tells me that and are among the best pre-raid head pieces in the game. Using Rawr would appear to be not even worth considering, it even offers up a quest green as higher rated which would almost certainly lead most to ignore the existence of Anomalus. It doesn't take rocket science to figure out that Rawr's model is seriously flawed when you notice things like this... While the Pawn scale may be inflexible, it's more useful than Rawr's dynamic scale which are is horribly flawed right now.

The Pawn scale in the first post is a nice quick and dirty scale to help sort through gear options. You can quickly compare two items values. If there is a huge difference in the numbers you can pretty much make a snap decision. But if they are relatively close in value, then you know it's an item to do a detailed analysis of and determine which better suits your needs and works with your current gear (and your future gear).

#18 Kiku

Kiku

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 06:22 PM

I've added yours, but it does seem to be missing socket values. Any thoughts?

I just ran it again to double check (this time making sure I had the best version of every buff selected, food buff, and flask, 20 str gems, but no heroism) and got the following:

ArmorPenetration=0.11, MeleeDps=2.51, CritRating=0.57, Strength=1.12, Agility=0.88, HitRating=0.92, ExpertiseRating=0.92, HasteRating=0.68, FeralAp=0.49, Ap=0.49 )

The values are higher, but the relation of them to each other stays pretty much the same.

For socket values I'd say any socket should be used as a 20 str gem. Not sure what to value the meta, but that seems like a non issue since any helm you are considering vs another helm will both have the meta.

#19 mesullivan

mesullivan

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 08:26 PM

These are the stats that I came up with for Resto:
Intellect 29.2
Spirit 60.6
SpellPower 22.6
MP5 136.2
Crit 0.4

These values are calculate from a model (rawr+excel) around keeping up 3 HoTs (RJ, RG, 3xLB) until OOM and then regenerating your mana. Rise and repeat. This basically gave me a total HPS that I could produce over an infinite time. I produced the model for +10 int, spirt, sp, mp5, and crit. The above stats are the HPS(x10 scale) difference from base.

This is a reasonable idea for a model, but I think you've been tripped up. The values didn't pass the smell test for me (they are vastly different than values suggested by calculations in the tree threads), so I thought a bit about what you are probably doing here. My guess is that you did not consider raid buffs to mana regen, which has a number of dramatic effects. Replenishment procs as a % of total mana, so it's value is directly affected by int. It's also a significant portion of total regen in a raid environment to the point where having it roughly doubles the value of int relative to other mana regen stats.

The next thing that doesn't make sense is the relative value of spellpower vs. regen stats. If you are ignoring raid replenishment and innervate, then you are assuming being mana bound even on fairly short fights in a way that simply does not happen in the game. The rotation you have described is a fairly low-stress one that can be implemented so as to spend almost 1/2 your time outside the 5-second rule. With raid-level gear and standard 25-man buffs you should be able to keep that rotation up just about long enough to get through an innervate cooldown. If your model has you running out of mana often enough to judge spirit as 3 times as valuable as spellpower, I'm certain you are working with very low levels of int and spirit on your gear, or not considering raid buffs.

Before you go poking holes in my model... this was built very roughly for my way of healing and has given me excellent results on LootRank pre-raiding.

I poked holes in your model anyway. One thing to realize is that any non-asinine model will give semi-reasonable results on actual loot, because there are only so many options and they are not all that different in value.

The point of a model is to come up with something *better* than simply looking at the item level and whether it has your stats or not, so you can tell whether the piece with 70 spirit is better than the piece with 70 spellpower or whatever. They will both be playable, and the difference between them will not make you unusable as a healer until you are in the wrath equivalent of sunwell, but a good model might give you 5-10% more throughput than a bad one given the gear choices you come up with. EJ is about getting that 5-10%.

#20 AncientHeart

AncientHeart

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 09:30 PM

Where can i get Rawr?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users