• This topic is locked This topic is locked
461 replies to this topic

#21 Lambi

Lambi

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 299 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 08:34 AM

10-man sapphiron. Spec Healing Prayers, glyph prayer of healing, bounce a PoM every cooldown. Cast PoH when your own group really needs healing (start the cast when people are around 60-70%hp), CoH the other group when needed.

#22 Sir Loin

Sir Loin

Banned

• Banned
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 10:31 AM

For 10 man Sapphiron we made a rule for our group. If you don't have 2 pieces of FR gear, you can't roll on loot from him or KT. It's a much easier fight when everyone (minus MT & healers) has 300+ FR. Myself and the group leader provide the frozen orbs and the members have to provide the rest of the mats. Works out pretty well.

As everyone else mentioned, keep PoM on CD as it will easily be 50% of your healing done for the fight. Casting it on yourself works out pretty well. Also, 2pc T7 is actually useful here. I try to save CoH for ice tombs when people are grouped up or when the storm hits people.

#23 Incoherence

Incoherence

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 442 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 10:37 AM

10-man sapphiron. Spec Healing Prayers, glyph prayer of healing, bounce a PoM every cooldown. Cast PoH when your own group really needs healing (start the cast when people are around 60-70%hp), CoH the other group when needed.

Yeah, PoH is great for this fight. Also, make sure your melee are all standing in approximately the same place so you can actually hit all of them with PoM or CoH (Sapphiron's hitbox is more than 20 yards wide and if only a couple people switch sides you'll be unable to bounce a PoM across Sapphiron).

#24 tronqui

tronqui

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 05:48 PM

I am curious to see how other guilds are doing as far as healing goes for 25 man Naxx. I do not have an specific questions, I'm looking for all data in general. However, I don't see wws reports in the healing threads.

We always seem to be short on healers. Looking back, on average we are running with 6 healers, sometimes 5. Bring the player not the toon IMO has made it possible for us to clear 25 man Naxx. I would appreciate a few wws reports for 25 man Naxx runs, even though we have cleared 25 man Naxx we still wipe on bosses and have room for improvement.

Patchwerk.

He did slap us around more times that I enjoyed, and I don't mind a god slapping every once in awhile. Aside from simply knowing how to heal, the best thing you can do on a fight like this is assign your healers to a tank. We assigned 2 healers to the MT and 2 healers to the OT, which lead to our first kill. Yes, its ridiculous that we didn't do this from the beginning, however until Patchwerk we had no issues keeping tanks alive. Being well organized, and communicating with your fellow healers is by far more valuable than any piece of gear.

Thanks for the advice on Sarth+3. We didn't even come close, however every bit of advice brings you that much closer to success.

Please share you wws reports, I'm mostly interested in experienced holy priests data.

#25 Jaeydn

Jaeydn

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 06:08 PM

I am curious to see how other guilds are doing as far as healing goes for 25 man Naxx. I do not have an specific questions, I'm looking for all data in general. However, I don't see wws reports in the healing threads.

We always seem to be short on healers. Looking back, on average we are running with 6 healers, sometimes 5. Bring the player not the toon IMO has made it possible for us to clear 25 man Naxx. I would appreciate a few wws reports for 25 man Naxx runs, even though we have cleared 25 man Naxx we still wipe on bosses and have room for improvement.

Patchwerk.

He did slap us around more times that I enjoyed, and I don't mind a god slapping every once in awhile. Aside from simply knowing how to heal, the best thing you can do on a fight like this is assign your healers to a tank. We assigned 2 healers to the MT and 2 healers to the OT, which lead to our first kill. Yes, its ridiculous that we didn't do this from the beginning, however until Patchwerk we had no issues keeping tanks alive. Being well organized, and communicating with your fellow healers is by far more valuable than any piece of gear.

Thanks for the advice on Sarth+3. We didn't even come close, however every bit of advice brings you that much closer to success.

Please share you wws reports, I'm mostly interested in experienced holy priests data.

Here is our wws link, hope it helps some. Both our priests are holy. JC WWS

#26 Beans

Beans

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 06:24 PM

For Sapphiron 10: Use the much maligned Divine Hymn when you are bunched up behind the ice block. The hot it generates is pretty good. (Take it off the long CD and we're well on our way to making this of more use.)

#27 Holymoley

Holymoley

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 08:56 PM

Any tips for healing Sapphiron in a 10 man Naxxramas?

The group I've been going with understands the fight mechanics quite well but when trying to keep up the raid from the frost aura damage, there comes a point where I find myself running out of mana fairly quickly. I've also been trying to maximize using my Shadowfiend, Hymm of Hope (for what its worth), and cheating the OO5SR with Inner focus.

In terms of gear I know where are many upgrades I can get but drops have been very unlucky for me and I am wearing the best I can until I get upgrades.

On our first Naxx10 Sapphiron kill we had three healers, one healer on each side (per group) and one dedicated healer for MT.

Prayer of Mending was a must and primary spell for me. I threw down the Lightwell and used Prayer of Healing when the group took over 6k in damage, but also the procs from Surge of Light (via Prayer of Mending) really helped. I also kept an eye on the MT and threw a heal when I can. Lightwell is very helpful as long as your group uses it or you can put it next to your MT so he can keep an extra HoT on himself.

During Iceblock I continued to use Prayer of Mending and if needed a Prayer of Healing. I didn't use Circle of Healing for this fight. If I see my group low on mana I'll use Hymn during Iceblock. Our Druids use Tranquility if both blocks are close together.

#28 Isin

Isin

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 171 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 11:43 PM

[EDIT: eh, someone already said it]

#29 Ayreon

Ayreon

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 02:13 AM

Wow that's really impressive that you managed to pull the healing off when you were on the Sarth tank. How did you manage to keep the DPS classes alive?

Edit: I'm stupid, you clearly stated that the elemental shaman kept them alive. Well done :)

Yep and we also had him heal inside the portal. The twilight torment debuff wasn't such a big problem really since we killed Vesperon second.

#30 nterr0r

nterr0r

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 07:11 AM

For 10 man Sapphiron we made a rule for our group. If you don't have 2 pieces of FR gear, you can't roll on loot from him or KT. It's a much easier fight when everyone (minus MT & healers) has 300+ FR. Myself and the group leader provide the frozen orbs and the members have to provide the rest of the mats. Works out pretty well.

As everyone else mentioned, keep PoM on CD as it will easily be 50% of your healing done for the fight. Casting it on yourself works out pretty well. Also, 2pc T7 is actually useful here. I try to save CoH for ice tombs when people are grouped up or when the storm hits people.

Quick question, how much damage is mitigated when at 300+ FR ? Does it make you take no tick damage or how much damage do you take? This seems like something I am interested in trying. Wowwiki says 415 is cap for a level 83 boss (e.g Sapphiron) so depending on how much is mitigated I might try this for my guild.

I appreciate everyone's input, your comments have all really helped. I realized that people learning the fight and taking a lot of other damage which caused the healing part of this fight to be very stressful.

#31 Incoherence

Incoherence

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 442 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 09:58 AM

Quick question, how much damage is mitigated when at 300+ FR ? Does it make you take no tick damage or how much damage do you take? This seems like something I am interested in trying. Wowwiki says 415 is cap for a level 83 boss (e.g Sapphiron) so depending on how much is mitigated I might try this for my guild.

The resistance cap (415, which is all 3 armor pieces and an aura/totem) is at 75% average mitigation; I believe it's roughly linear scaling from there down to zero. Sapphiron is a sufficiently long fight for a guild learning it that you probably need the mana help, to say nothing of people inevitably not noticing blizzards or taking splash damage for ice blocks or whatever.

#32 Sebalot

Sebalot

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 122 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 10:01 AM

For 10-man Sapphiron, I find putting out a Lightwell and parking next to it works fine. I just click on it whenever I feel I need healing. It means I never have to start a PoM on myself but can use it on the dps/healer that needs most healing. I never put PoM on MT on Sapph since it sometimes refuses to bounce when people run out of range.

For 10-man, you can use Divine Hymn and a well timed Prayer of Healing after the ice blocks to push up hp fast and reliably. In the end Sapphiron is not all that healing intensive once people stop standing in blizzard and getting tail swiped. There is a lot to heal of course but the damage is even and low each tick which means you don't to stress heal but can use your tools in the most efficienct way. PoM used correctly will do a very big portion of the raidhealing for very low mana cost, making the rest quite easy.

I am always surprised in how much raw healing I get done in relation to how little mana I used. That comes from always being able to plan healing two steps ahead of time, if it makes any sense.

#33 Cosi

Cosi

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 11:17 AM

For Sapphiron my healing strategy is very similar to those that have been posted. A major difference I would say is that I PW:S dpsers that tend to stand in blizzards for a bit too long. I'm also running the PW:S glyph so it helps out with this. It can help out some to use PW:S if its just one person or two but really people can't really stand in blizzards. For the most part I just bounce PoM, Flash Heal, CoH behind blocks, and I toss a binding heal on someone if I get too low and PoM is on cooldown.

Generally do not have mana problems during this fight because PoM is so awesome for this kind of damage. :)

#34 Sureall

Sureall

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 03:44 PM

10 man malygos: We seem to get phase 1 fine but run out of steam during phase 2. We had a warrior MT and druid OT with 1 DK bringing mobs to sparks every other time(cooldown limiting?). We had 1 holy priest and resto druid on MT/OT and myself(holy) on raid. Its hard to tell if we just arent getting into the sparks fast enough or if we need better gear/mana regen for healers. May spec into spirit buff in disc for this fight if raid healing...Any suggestions? If i recall we only had one replenishment class.

#35 malthrin

malthrin

stalemate associate

•  Benefactors
  • 9107 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 04:13 PM

I'll start it off with a general Sarth+3 'discussion' (10-man). I was working on it this past week with a suboptimal group, and was healing the drake+add tank. The spike damage from dual shadow breaths + dual melee swings (2 drakes up) was absolutely brutal. Anyone have any suggestions for predicting that damage, or mitigating it? As most of you know, I raid as holy; GS-spec atm. We were running as HPaladin/HPriest for our 2 healers; drake tank was a warrior.

You might try swapping yourself onto the Sartharion tank (feral I presume?). We two-healed it with myself and a Paladin and our initial healing strategy sounds similar to yours; the Paladin had beacon on the drake tank and focused his attention on the Sartharion tank, while I focused on the drake tank, the adds tank, and Torment raid healing (also, do you have a separate tank for adds or is the Warrior grabbing those as well?). We had some issues with the drake tank dying, and realized that it usually happened when the Sarth tank and drake tank were out of beacon range, leaving me stuck trying to power through the spikes you describe by myself.

We did two things to fix that. First, the Sarth tank became my priority and the Paladin focused on the drake tank with beacon on the add tank. Damage on the Sarth tank isn't actually that bad, outside of the breaths, so as long as I kept him topped off before breaths and made him survive the next melee swing after, the Paladin could help me refill him at his leisure. We also slowly work our drake tank from the Tenebron landing area over towards the Sarth tank as the fight goes on, so that eventually they're sharing the same gap for waves from the south. Once our raid is all together like that, the Paladin has a lot more flexibility in moving beacon around according to the demands on each tank.

#36 Trouble

Trouble

Bald Bull

• Members
  • 1448 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 06:58 PM

I don't know if this is the right thread, but I'm curious about the exact ramifications of the CoH nerf in regards to how it effects specific fights. As a resto druid, what fights should I expect healing to get significantly harder?

#37 Sinndir

Sinndir

Great Tiger

• Members
  • 865 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 07:07 PM

I don't know if this is the right thread, but I'm curious about the exact ramifications of the CoH nerf in regards to how it effects specific fights. As a resto druid, what fights should I expect healing to get significantly harder?

Well Trouble what will really happen is we will cast 'somewhat' in cycles. You will CoH everytime you can, and PoM everytime you can. In between it is really going to be filled with flash heals. I'm currently not spec'd for surge of light, but come the cooldown era, I may have to go back (though I don't like it).

I honestly don't see it effecting you guys as much I mean, your WG heals will get more effectiveness now and won't just be overwritten by CoH. I'd expect to see more complimentary raid healing on fights like Sapph, Sarth-3D, and Malygos for sure. I think it will bring the biggest change to the concept that holy priests are the premiere raid healers and will bring us more in line with the versatile 'can-do-everything' healer.

I for one am happy that they are changing the spell, it needed a fix. However, I think the cooldown was a poor choice and was just the easiest way out.

#38 Sebalot

Sebalot

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 122 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 07:18 PM

Intuitively I would say none. We are currently sniping so many heals with CoH that druids and shamans basically have altered their healing because of them only ending up overhealing anyway. With the nerf I would expect CoH to be used as an instant stabilizer and CH and WG to be used for topping people up. Meanwhile priests will have PoM and instant Flash Heals that can be used on critical targets.

All the cases where some priests say CoH needs to be spammed (vortex, sapph, KT ice blast) should be managable with the tools a raid has, even if all fights are left unchanged. I don't see any current boss fight causing trouble. The trash pull before Gothik may be hard though.

I may be overly optimistic though, but I see a lot of untapped healing potential from shamans and druids currently.

#39 Guest_Allesin_*

Guest_Allesin_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 December 2008 - 07:45 PM

Just to add a few things to the other answers:

The short answer is, it depends on how your priests currently heal. If they rely heavily on CoH to the exclusion of other spells in most circumstances, you will notice more healing for you and other healers to do. If your priests don't use CoH that frequently right now, you will likely not see much difference at all.

The couple occasions I do see it affecting healing (such as melee ice blocks on KT), raid positioning is likely to get at least some of the blame. Being able to keep every melee alive as they chain ice blocks all around KT was almost certainly not intended to be healed through anyway. I expect some dps will have to learn better positional awareness for those fights.

I have to agree that I am glad CoH is being modified, although the cooldown is not a solution I truly appreciate as it feels more like a "governor" than a reason for priests to consider other spells.

#40 Trouble

Trouble

Bald Bull

• Members
  • 1448 posts

Posted 26 December 2008 - 04:17 PM

The short answer is, it depends on how your priests currently heal. If they rely heavily on CoH to the exclusion of other spells in most circumstances, you will notice more healing for you and other healers to do. If your priests don't use CoH that frequently right now, you will likely not see much difference at all.

They do a ton of CoH. /hug Nidaba

I have to agree that I am glad CoH is being modified, although the cooldown is not a solution I truly appreciate as it feels more like a "governor" than a reason for priests to consider other spells.

Agree with this. It seems cheap, but at the same time how are you supposed to make an instant-cast auto-targeting heal less attractive? It had a crappier coefficient and as a priest it was a very disappointing spell for a lot of TBC due to this. This may not be as big an issue now that it auto-targets across groups, however.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users