• Please log in to reply
96 replies to this topic

#41 Bowchikabow

Bowchikabow

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 08:16 AM

First, I would like to thank you Rinuu for the posts. I deleted the saved variables file (had so much crap from so many mods I don't use anymore) and updated all of my mods for 3.0.8. After that I went and installed Quartz and it works just fine now. You were likely correct that the main issue was the saved variables.

Also, any word on an update for darkness? I don't necessarily need it. How ever it would be nice to have so I can focus on something other then the boss icon. TBC I used darkness with it set to the dead middle of my screen with medium scale so I could see everything and know when to cast.

#42 Furism

Furism

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 11:44 PM

Last update: April 15th

A guild mate of mine developed an interesting add-on. It's basically a simplified scripting language that allows to determine which spell to cast next, with pretty advanced conditions and filters. When the script is done, an icon will be displayed on the UI and show which spell to cast next depending on your code. Like so:

Posted Image

The add-on is named Ovale. Here is the documentation. The add-on comes with pre-defined profiles (scripts). The one for Priests is not optimum, so I built my own script.

# Define constants for easier addressing of spells
Define(SWP 589) # Shadow Word: Pain
Define(VT 34916) # Vampiric Touch
Define(VE 15286) # Vampiric Embrace
Define(SF 15473) # Shadowform
Define(MF 15407) # Mind Flay
Define(MB 8092) # Mind Blast
Define(DP 2944) # Devouring Plague
Define(SW 15257) # Shadow Weaving
Define(IF 48168) # Inner Fire
Define(Focus 14751) # Inner Focus
Define(Dispersion 47585)
Define(Shadowfiend 34433)
CanStopChannelling(MF) # Mind Flay's channeling can be interrupted if needed

# Add main monitor
AddIcon {

#Check shadowform is up
if BuffExpires(SF 0)
    Spell(SF)

# Refresh inner fire
if BuffExpires(IF 60)
    Spell(IF)

#if inner focus is active, cast mind blast
if BuffPresent(Focus) 
    Spell(MB doNotRepeat=1)

# Check if Shadow Weave is stacked 5 times
# before suggesting Shadow Word: Pain
if BuffPresent(SW stacks=5) and TargetDebuffExpires(SWP 0 mine=1)
{
   Spell(SWP doNotRepeat=1)
}

#Refresh VT
if TargetDebuffExpires(VT 1.4 mine=1 haste=spell)
   Spell(VT doNotRepeat=1)

#cast MB if up
Spell(MB doNotRepeat=1)

#Refresh devouring plague  
if TargetDebuffExpires(DP 0 mine=1)
    Spell(DP doNotRepeat=1)

#cast Mind flay if nothing else can be done
Spell(MF priority=2)

} # End of main monitor    

# Add mana monitor
AddIcon {

#if up, launch focus (and then MB since it's the first priority)
Spell(Focus doNotRepeat=1 usable=1)

#Regain mana if needed and if shadowfiend is not already out
if Mana(less 4000) and PetPresent(no)
{
    Spell(Shadowfiend usable=1)
    unless TargetDebuffExpires(VT 6 mine=1 haste=spell) Spell(Dispersion usable=1)
}
}

# Add icons to monitor debuffs (will show up 5 secs before elapsed)
AddIcon size=small nocd=1 {if TargetDebuffExpires(VE 1 mine=1) Spell(VE) } # Vampiric Embrace
AddIcon size=small nocd=1 {if TargetDebuffExpires(VT 1.4 mine=1 haste=spell) Spell(VT) } # Vampiric Touch
AddIcon size=small nocd=1 {if TargetDebuffExpires(SWP 1 mine=1) Spell(SWP) } # Shadow Word: Pain
AddIcon size=small nocd=1 {if TargetDebuffExpires(DP 1 mine=1) Spell(DP) } # Devouring Plague

You can create your own profile in the mod's options (in the "Addons" part of the Interface menu), and copy paste the code above. There is a bug though. You need to hit 'return' on last the line of the text area, so the last line is an empty line (otherwise the code is not saved). Then click on 'Accept' and then 'Compile'.

Posted Image

The spell priority I set is largely based on what has been discussed on this very forum. It's just a reflection of my understanding of the best spell priority, so it can be wrong. Feel free to point any mistake.

* The very first priority in the list is SWP, but only if your character has got Shadow Weaving stacked 5 times AND SWP expires in 0 seconds (since it's instant) or is not up. Therefore, SWP will not show up in your opening sequence until you get SW 5 times.
* The second priority in the list is VT. It will be displayed if it expires in 1.4 sec (base cast time) - but haste is taken into account. You might want to increase or decrease that value (you can use 1.5 or 0.5 seconds for instance). This will simply change the haste calculation.
* The next priority is MB. The doNotRepeat is used because the spell has got a cool down and the script has got no way of knowing that prior to the spell being cast.
* Then Devouring Plague will be displayed when it reaches 0 seconds (again, because it's an instant).
* Then MF is displayed, if no DoT needs to be refreshed within 1 sec. MF is flagged as "CanStopChannelling" so Ovale will, for instance, suggest Mind Blast if it's not on cooldown anymore but you are casting Mind Flay.

This is for the "main monitor", the first area that will show the icons of the spells to cast. I added more, smaller monitors (which will be on the right side of the main monitor) just to keep an eye on the other debuffs.

#43 Pondscum

Pondscum

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 11:49 PM

Facemelter found on Curse here. "What is Face Melter? You tell it your spell priorities, and it tells you when you should cast them. Cast them as they light up for best results."

I got this mod to try it out, and decided it was good because it can also be used to let you know when a DoT is about to expire (since the queue is dynamically updated) - so no need for ReadySpells or DoTimer anymore really. However it is currently bugged and doesn't take into account the fact that MF refreshes SW:P.

Mod did seem to be abandoned and broken, but has been "patched", for want of a better term, by a user of the mod.
Please read in the comments section of the Curse page for the location of the uploaded working version of the mod. At time of posting location of working download is here.

I have tested the mod on the test dummies in UC and all tests seem to show the Shadow World :Pain refreshing problem is fixed.

You will need to enable out of date add ons.

This is an excellent mod and I would love to see it picked up and maintained by someone.

#44 Bowchikabow

Bowchikabow

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 10:06 AM

Thank you for the reply Furism, I was curious about whether anyone was either going to update the mod, or simply make a new one. I am sadly not very knowledgeable of code, so I'm hoping for a small clarification on something.

When I am looking at the script for Mind Blast I notice that you have it written to not suggest recasting because of MB cooldown, how ever, I did not see anything inserted with reference to the cooldown remaining. By this I mean there did not seem to be any instruction on when to suggest Mind Blast again, minus the spell priority list at the beginning of the code. Am I simply not reading this correctly? or is it something where that information is put in separately by the user?

#45 Furism

Furism

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 10:39 AM

I suggest not to recast MB immediately because the mod has got no way of knowing whether or not the spell has got a cooldown *before* it's cast. So if I didn't have the doNotRepeat part, the mod would suggest MB, I would start casting it, and the mod would queue another MB right after (while the first MB is being cast). The doNotRepeat prevents that.

You are, however, correct. There is no notion of cooldown (yet), however after some play-testing against a dummy, the script works fine - most of the time. Sometimes the fact that MB is before MF will make it so that MB is suggested even though it's on cooldown and MF is not, for the exact reason you mentioned. I raised this to the developer, so hopefully the function will be added soon. But again, it doesn't occur very often.

I will post an updated script soon. I now use Ovale to monitor my debuffs (an additional icon will show up 5 seconds before a debuff expires - I'm thinking of having small icons, one for each debuff, much like ReadySpells). I would also like to add more conditions to SWP, such as other people's debuffs (with +hit/+crit modifiers that are not taken into account when SWP is refreshed by MF). Could anyone help me by listing the debuffs we have to wait for before casting SWP, besides SW?

Edit: So I talked with the developer and here's the answer about the cooldowns.

There is a priority aspect. By default (ie: unspecified), each spell has got the same priority (3). If two spells have the same priority, then the one with the least time remaining on its CD (if any) will be shown. If two spells have the same priority, then the one with the least time remaining on its CD will be shown EXCEPT if the remaining CD is smaller than the GCD, in which case the spell with the highest priority will be shown.

tl;dr: You don't need to worry about the CD, the back end of the mod does it for you. I need, however, to update my script and put MB on a higher priority than MF.

#46 Zoroaster

Zoroaster

Zor*

• Allied Members
  • 948 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 04:58 AM

For clipping Mindflay Quartz LatencyMF2 : WoWInterface Downloads : Priest

It shows the time when your 2nd MF tic will occur, with the quartz latency taken into account. If you have sub-100 ping shouldn't really matter, but for those with more lag it helps some. Have been using it for a few raids now, and seems to work well.

#47 Tymir

Tymir

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 06:54 AM

For clipping Mindflay Quartz LatencyMF2 : WoWInterface Downloads : Priest

It shows the time when your 2nd MF tic will occur, with the quartz latency taken into account. If you have sub-100 ping shouldn't really matter, but for those with more lag it helps some. Have been using it for a few raids now, and seems to work well.

Works brilliantly from the testing I have done on it so far. It's always great when a simple UI modification helps the class as a whole progress.

#48 Furism

Furism

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 08:28 AM

Check this post instead.

#49 Tymir

Tymir

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 07:18 AM

What is the maximum precision you can use for:

if TargetDebuffExpires(VT 1 mine=1) # Suggests Vampiric Touch 1 sec before elapsed
Spell(VT doNotRepeat=1)

#50 Bowchikabow

Bowchikabow

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 10:49 AM

Nice work Furism. I Started using the new script you posted, and for the most part it works like a charm. I have however, stumbled upon a conflict, not so much with the mod, but with our buffs... I'll explain.

I used Ovale for the first time on Heroic Malygos the other day. Since I have become so used to staring at the boss to time my debuffs and such, I had to get used to looking at the mod. This is where the conflict was spotted. in the instruction for check buff you put it at 5, for obvious reasons, how ever, initial mind flay was being suggested twice. This was happening consistently in various raids afterward, so I tried dummy testing. I am not sure if this is "working as intended" or not, but Mind Flay appears to apply 2 stacks of Shadow weaving, and while it counts toward SW:P damage already, Ovale was not registering the 2nd buff and again suggested Mind Flay. This only happened in the beginning of a fight and I have grown to simply ignore the mod on initial rotation. The problem does not appear to affect any other part of Ovale's function.

I was not able to find any articles/posts about SW bugs, so I assume it is either intended, or no one has really noticed yet. Any information/suggestions you might have would be greatly appreciated.

#51 Scyonne

Scyonne

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 02:53 PM

I'm using an addon called "Pawn" that breaks down equivillency ratings and base stats to give a piece of gear an overall value to make comparisons easier. I originally got this addon for my rogue, and I trust the values that were given in the rogue class forums on this site.
I am wondering if anyone is familiar with this addon and if so, does anyone have some reliable equivilency ratings for hit capped, and non-hit capped SPriests? I've tried to do the math myself but my eyes are now bleeding, I have a headache and I am getting conflicting values from other sites.
Sorry for the QQ but this was the best place I could think of for this question.

#52 Halekx

Halekx

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 04:07 PM

I'm using an addon called "Pawn" that breaks down equivillency ratings and base stats to give a piece of gear an overall value to make comparisons easier. I originally got this addon for my rogue, and I trust the values that were given in the rogue class forums on this site.
I am wondering if anyone is familiar with this addon and if so, does anyone have some reliable equivilency ratings for hit capped, and non-hit capped SPriests? I've tried to do the math myself but my eyes are now bleeding, I have a headache and I am getting conflicting values from other sites.
Sorry for the QQ but this was the best place I could think of for this question.

Hi... I'm also using Pawn and my story is similar to yours... started using it on my rogue and loved it. I found scales for both Hit capped and non-Hit capped.

Not Hit Capped

( Pawn: v1: "Shadow Priest": Intellect=0.19, RedSocket=19, CritRating=0.61, ShadowSpellDamage=1, MetaSocket=36.51, HitRating=1.12, HasteRating=0.56, BlueSocket=10.68, YellowSocket=13.91, SpellPower=1, Spirit=0.21, ColorlessSocket=19 )

Hit Capped

( Pawn: v1: "Shadow Priest - Hit Capped": Intellect=0.19, RedSocket=19, CritRating=0.61, ShadowSpellDamage=1, MetaSocket=36.51, ColorlessSocket=19, HasteRating=0.56, BlueSocket=10.68, YellowSocket=13.91, SpellPower=1, Spirit=0.21 )

these are the only ones i found... i'm not sure they are properly set but since i couldn't find others and i don't know how to make the maths, i'll acept them and use them for now.
if someone have sugestions, i'd appretiate them ;)

thanks

#53 Renraku

Renraku

Service with a smile!

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 04:42 PM

These are the values from the latest sample output on Simcraft

Keep in mind this is in DPS and not Psuedo Power

Priest_14_0_57
int=0.28 spi=0.33 spp=1.33 hit=1.71 crit=0.85 haste=0.63

Priest_14_0_57_NoSWD
int=0.26 spi=0.31 spp=1.36 hit=1.57 crit=0.84 haste=0.83

If you have some free time then it's best to run Simcraft yourself and get values based on your actual gear, but this is a bit more up to date.
Vulajin: "oh god" [pause] "my weapons are broken"

#54 Furism

Furism

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 03:56 PM

What is the maximum precision you can use for:

if TargetDebuffExpires(VT 1 mine=1) # Suggests Vampiric Touch 1 sec before elapsed
Spell(VT doNotRepeat=1)

You can go to as low as one decimal (.1). There are new functions since the last release of Ovale where you can take haste into account.

Nice work Furism.

Thanks. The problem is not Ovale, I think, because I never noticed it getting a buff stack value wrong. I think that for some reason Mind Flay is bugged until you cast it once. Then it works fine. So it's bugged in the opener, but not in the subsequent casts.

I brought this up to the Ovale developer, but he's a moron (I'm saying this because he reads this thread) and hasn't checked why yet.

#55 Dezzimal

Dezzimal

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 107 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 05:58 AM

I made a little video showcasing EventHorizon. I honestly think this mod is capable of making any shadowpriest play better from my experience with it. Despite my enthusiasm for it I am horrible at describing what it does to other shadowpriests convincingly such that they might give it a try.

YouTube - Event Horizon WoW Addon

#56 Luthi

Luthi

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 09:50 PM

Very helpful video Dezzimal, I wasn't particularly interested in the mod before I saw your video, but I'll be giving it a test run in OS3 tonight.

Is it a somewhat simple mod to install?

#57 ildon

ildon

Collateral Damage

• Members
  • 1,459 posts

Posted 01 March 2009 - 09:20 PM

There's basically zero configuration. There's just an anchor on the top right corner to move it around, and /eventhorizon toggles it on and off, and that's it (unless you want to edit the LUA files). The anchor is really small and only visible when you hover over it.

Personally, I didn't really like it. I'm going to keep trying it but it's really not doing anything different than what I was already doing in my head with cooldown counters and debuff filter. It may be *slightly* more accurate, but nothing that would really change for me beyond latency or haste, I think. I felt like it was distracting me from DPS, but I assume that would change if I used it more and actually took time to adjust to it, so we'll see.
<Kalroth> ( . Y . )
<buttbot> ( . BUTT . )
<Kalroth> <3

#58 Luthi

Luthi

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 01 March 2009 - 11:57 PM

There's basically zero configuration. There's just an anchor on the top right corner to move it around, and /eventhorizon toggles it on and off, and that's it (unless you want to edit the LUA files). The anchor is really small and only visible when you hover over it.

Personally, I didn't really like it. I'm going to keep trying it but it's really not doing anything different than what I was already doing in my head with cooldown counters and debuff filter. It may be *slightly* more accurate, but nothing that would really change for me beyond latency or haste, I think. I felt like it was distracting me from DPS, but I assume that would change if I used it more and actually took time to adjust to it, so we'll see.

I picked it up and DID like it, more than anything else I've ever used.

You're right, there wasn't much configuration, and the mod comes with SWD as one of the bars by default, but that was easily removed by opening and changing the LUA file.

#59 Tifi

Tifi

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 02:49 PM

Emphasis mine. That was kind of the idea for the addon: To do things that you would have to do in your head. "Will I have to cast MB,VT,SWD or MB,SWD,VT?" Of course you can find an answer to that question with a lot of addons, like DoTimer for example. But the bars don't help much, so you have to look at the different timers, compare those times to your cast time, compute differences in your head, etc. What I wanted for EventHorizon is to get answers to questions like that with just a quick glance at the bars. I wanted to spend less time looking at the interface, and spend more time looking out for Lava Strikes and Frost Blasts. So it's not really a matter of accuracy, it's more about how and what information is presented. And yes, it probably will take some time to adjust.

Anyways, your statement "it was distracting me from DPS" is worrying me quite a bit, because the addon is obviously supposed to help you with DPS. Could you elaborate a bit on what you found distracting? Maybe I should fine-tune the default config somehow to make it display less information for new users?

#60 Mokhtar

Mokhtar

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 09:50 AM

Anyways, your statement "it was distracting me from DPS" is worrying me quite a bit, because the addon is obviously supposed to help you with DPS. Could you elaborate a bit on what you found distracting? Maybe I should fine-tune the default config somehow to make it display less information for new users?

The thing is that it's always moving, which makes sense in the "guitar-hero" logic of it but is quite distracting overall. If your design goal is to provide a simple way to answer the question "what should I cast next ?" (plus maybe the spell to cast after that) then I think your addon does entirely too much.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users