• Please log in to reply
873 replies to this topic

#1 Juravieal

Juravieal

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 12:53 PM

Im running into some huge performance drops in my raids anymore, and I cant seem to track down the issue. Framerates dropping to 10 or less on several fights, especially Sarth with even 1 drake. Currently, Ive been running with everything maxed, and yes, I can see how I could avoid this by turning everything down. However, with my current specs, I really dont think I should be forced to run the game at low settings, making the textures muddy, and generally looking like ass.

Current specs

Vista Home Prem - Fresh install as of last night
Athlon FX-62 cpu
4 Gigs of DDR2 Ram
8800 GTX
75g Raptor 10k rpm HD
Abit AN9 32x Mobo

Im wondering if anyone else is running into issues of the sort, and/or may have know some tweaks to get the most of this system on WoW? I mean really, its a bit of an overkill for the game. No idea why Im having the issues.

#2 Kirth

Kirth

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 01:01 PM

I'll go out on a limb and say it might be related to what UI modifications you are using. There are some heavyweight mods out there that can seriously affect your performance, QuestHelper and others like it are one type that comes to mind right away. Might want to see what you can prune in terms of UI mods you don't need while raiding and see how that helps.

#3 Juravieal

Juravieal

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 01:06 PM

Currently nothing like that. In fact, tonight it was pruned down even more than normal, due to it being a fresh install. Decursive, xperl with no 3d portraits, bartender, and buffalo are about it. I dont have a memory mod installed, but going by what Ive noticed before, Id say the whole thing is coming in WELL under 10mbs.

Ill keep tweaking things, and if I find anything mind blowing, I'll share.

#4 dukes

dukes

Bald Bull

• Members
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 01:14 PM

Two major issues that people have brought up numerous times recently:
- Combat log issues. Try reducing the amount of things in your combat log, or making filters which show nothing at all. Generally this tends to help with disconnect issues, but it may help your framerate too. edit: -> see posts 12/13 of this thread.
- Death and Decay. Do you have death knights in the raid, and if so are they unholy spec? If they are, they almost certainly have Morbidity, which has been linked to major framerate drops in combination with the use of Death and Decay.

Further general things:
- Are you running in windowed mode+full screen? You may want to try with full screen rather than windowed mode/full screen, as it (generally) improves framerate a lot.
- Do you run many things in the background that you don't "need" for WoW, such as Steam / IRC / etc? It may be worth disabling them during 'heavy' fights (sarth3d and similar). I've found that this is especially true of websites with lots of flash animations, they can impact framerate a lot.
- You can hover over the default options button in order to see memory usage/etc of mods.
- Task manager is your friend - you can see how much memory/etc each process is using. I've found at work that if I leave my PC for 5 minutes after logging in, that everything runs much more smoothly for the day due to how the virus scanner seems to be acting.

Edit: Update your graphics drivers if you aren't running the latest official versions.

#5 Hellfury

Hellfury

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 01:27 PM

I have the same issues, out of combat is ok but once we start combat Game goes into praticaly slideshow 22fps with frame skipping, mode and this on a Intel Quad Core 9450, 4GB of ram and a ATi 3870 this happens mostly in Naxx25 and Obsidian in Malygos is fine tho maybe cause its such small instance.

In my opinion there is a severe case of bad implementation of Naxx in WOTLK. SWP runed 50fps+ in combat with my system on everything maxed and SWP is way more graphical intensive than Naxx.

There were issues like this at start of TBC aswell with SCC if anyone remember, the instance was such a FPS killer, Blizzard fixed it tho, it was a LOS issue cause the render engine was drawing all instance when it shouldnt, I think there is the same problem with Naxx in Wotlk.

I just noticed that Juravieal and me are both running Xperl gona try to turn it off during next raid and see if I get better FPSs.

#6 Kegsta

Kegsta

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 208 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 01:37 PM

I was getting a nice 3fps in OS 25 man until I disabled recount and omen, now I'm getting 10-15,

I run a crappy dual core pentium 2ghz $100 cpu with a 8600gt thing in windowed mode @ 1680*1050

Questhelper is also a major problem in raids when others have it and it tries to talk to eachother
If you really want to keep questhelper on your main do /QH solo to stop it sending between players.

Any combat log processing mod is going to kill your FPS.

I've also heard that Death and Decay on high spell detail can cause some massive FPS problems. But since i play on the lowest setting myself I can't vouch for it.

#7 Munorion

Munorion

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 01:41 PM

I was getting a nice 3fps in OS 25 man until i disabled recount and omen.

Any combat log processing mod is going to kill your FPS.

Maybe slightly offtopic, but as far as I know, Omen doesn't process the combat log anymore. It just takes the threat values Blizzard provides (hence no more AoE threat display and so on).
Posted Image

#8 Hoffski

Hoffski

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 02:14 PM

25-man performance issues are a real problem and it seems to be one that may be caused by the game and not by hardware since Blizzard has acknowledged the problem and is working to improve it.

#9 woeye

woeye

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 02:30 PM

Something goes sometimes very wrong deep down in the code of WoW. Take my story for example. My system (2.4Ghz OC Core Duo, 4GB RAM, 8800GTS 640) faced a major FPS drop since WotLK. Some weeks ago I swapped my OCed Core Duo out for a Q6600 Quad Core since I use my PC for professional work, too. I did not expect to run WoW faster since the Q6600 has a clocking of 2.4 Ghz by default (same as my old OCed Core Duo).WoW, however, now runs at full speed again. The two additional cores can't be the reason since WoW doesn't utilize multi-core systems very well.

#10 tusaki

tusaki

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 02:35 PM

25-man performance issues are a real problem and it seems to be one that may be caused by the game and not by hardware since Blizzard has acknowledged the problem and is working to improve it.

this.

I'm running a intel core I7 with 6 gig of ddr3 ram and "only" a 9800 GT and my fps drops to around 20% of my 'normal' fps during big boss fights. (still 25 or so) Granted, this is with some addons running, but I even have most quality settings on low or medium. This game shouldn't be so 'heavy'.

This, combined with the lag issues a lot of (high population) realms are having (unplayable lag during peak times), tells me that blizzard will need to fix it before we can really do something about it. We've been dealing with this since wotlk, it was a lot better before.

#11 Hellfury

Hellfury

Glass Joe

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 02:38 PM

Something goes sometimes very wrong deep down in the code of WoW. Take my story for example. My system (2.4Ghz OC Core Duo, 4GB RAM, 8800GTS 640) faced a major FPS drop since WotLK. Some weeks ago I swapped my OCed Core Duo out for a Q6600 Quad Core since I use my PC for professional work, too. I did not expect to run WoW faster since the Q6600 has a clocking of 2.4 Ghz by default (same as my old OCed Core Duo).WoW, however, now runs at full speed again. The two additional cores can't be the reason since WoW doesn't utilize multi-core systems very well.

WOW dont use more than 2 cores you can see that in the Task Manager, he forces only affinity for 2 cores, even if you force 4cores it doesnt make any diference in FPS, and next time you run WOW the game will set affinity for only 2 cores.

#12 Malan

Malan

Mike Tyson

• Allied Members
  • 29,830 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 03:04 PM

- Combat log issues. Try reducing the amount of things in your combat log, or making filters which show nothing at all. Generally this tends to help with disconnect issues, but it may help your framerate too.

I've heard a few people mention this now and I'm interested to know just how exactly this solves anything. Whatever ~filters~ you add to the combat log, all that data is still being received by your client. You can't just turn that off, the WoW client is still processing each combat event as it arrives, the filters are simply saying "don't display this", which as far as I can tell is no different then simply hiding your combat log behind another chat frame (as the default WoW setup is) which just doesn't render the log text until you make it the active tab. I don't see how filtering the combat log could possibly improve frame rate to any observable rate.

#13 dukes

dukes

Bald Bull

• Members
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 03:07 PM

Thinking about it now, I would assume that the actual fix is to remove all filters, and have a base combat log that picks up nothing. By picking up nothing it's processing less (no) data, which should help. :shrug: No idea really though, but if it helps, it helps.

#14 Wizeowel

Wizeowel

old and slow

• Members
  • 1,552 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 06:10 PM

"By picking up nothing..." I think it's the other way around. As Malan said, your client will always receive the whole log, so by filtering you are doing more processing than by not filtering. Still I imagine that is pretty negligible. It's the displaying of the combat log which would cause FPS slowdown. So just hide your combat log.

Recount of course is a combat log processor and displayer. This popular addon, in my mind, has got to be the cause of many of the FPS complaints. 'Record Time Data' for example, which many players don't even use but is set on by default, is a huge drain on resources (memory and cpu time). Also there is a setting to purge trash data and only save boss encounters which is certainly going to help memory bloat.

#15 Vazu

Vazu

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 426 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 06:14 PM

What power supply are you running for that 8800 GTX?

Be as specific as possible with the model number if you have it.

#16 Pixen

Pixen

Piston Honda

• Members
  • 171 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 06:24 PM

You guys seem to have just a ton of RAM. I just can't imagine having that much RAM, but it could be because I'm still using a 32 bit OS (XP SP2). Would I see an increase in FPS if I went to a 64 bit OS with more RAM, which is dirt cheap these days? I currently get about 20-30fps in combat at full settings (minus high quality shadows) at 1920x1080.

Though I'm thinking that has more to do with running in windowed mode with an appreciable number of mods running, including recount. I only have 2 gigs of DDR2 RAM currently.

"They were bad, stop trying to figure out why bad players do bad things."

#17 MatsT

MatsT

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 485 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 06:39 PM

WotLK increased the system requirements for the game quite a bit. This was a conscious decision by blizzard as the average computer speccs are quite a bit better than when TBC or original wow was launched.

That being said, the "effects" tab of your video options can remove most of them (probably not all). The biggest culprit is the new shadow quality setting. Changing this from highest to lowest will double the fps of most computers. If that doesn't help, the only three options on the entire page that actually affects gameplay is "view distance", "environmental detail" and "spell detail". The rest can be turned down to the bottom with only cosmetic changes, and spell detail can usually be at the middle without danger.

People also needs to get a bit less picky. 20 fps is perfectly fine to play well. If you care so much about graphics and appearance, it's a balance between fps, graphic settings, and your wallet. If you are getting sub-10 fps with everything on low, i can see how it's a problem.

#18 Snowy

Snowy

Mitt Romney?

• Moderators
  • 10,236 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 06:44 PM

For spell detail, you can turn the silder all the way down to the "D" and still be able to see full duration consecrates, death & decays & so on. Any lower than that, and you start cutting those out.

#19 Nephthys

Nephthys

Von Kaiser

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 06:52 PM

your client will always receive the whole log, so by filtering you are doing more processing than by not filtering. Still I imagine that is pretty negligible. It's the displaying of the combat log which would cause FPS slowdown. So just hide your combat log.

I'm not convinced this is true. The client does receive all the activity data, but the combat log (which Blizzard implements as an addon) doesn't automatically process that data. It only processes the data for the game events (COMBAT_LOG_EVENT) that the current filter is registered to respond to. So if you have a combat log filter that doesn't respond to any of those events, it won't trigger the code to extract and display the information.

Also, it looks like the combat log processes events it's registered for even if the log is not being shown. To see this, you can switch from a chat tab to the combat log when the filter is set to show everything. Everything that happened while you were in the chat tab gets displayed instantly. But if you switch filters, you can see the combat log go back and refilter the last 5 minutes' worth of information.

#20 slant

slant

Don Flamenco

• Members
  • 334 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 06:56 PM

I assume you already tried dropping shadow quality and clipping distance.

Try running WOW in OpenGL mode. Change the shortcut to "wow.exe -opengl". This was a dramatic improvement on my old computer, a 3.6Ghz C2D with 2GB RAM and a 8800GTS 640MB.

On my new computer, a core i7 920 at 4Ghz with 6GB RAM and the same videocard, I don't have any FPS issues at all in directx mode. The engine changed in WOTLK and nobody knows why these slowdowns occur. WoW certainly wasn't CPU bound on my old box.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users